"There is no sunset"

• 90 Replies

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
"There is no sunset"
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »

Do mirrors melt when sunlight is reflected off them onto another area?
Mirrors aren't made of ice.

Have you worked out how a sunset could occur under an ice dome yet?
There is no sunset.

Care to elaborate, scepti?
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Re: "There is no sunset"
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »

There is no sunset.

What there is no sunset? Do you mean that the sun should not come close to the horizon on a flat earth? Or did i miss something?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »

There is no sunset.

What exactly would you like to know from the off?

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43:43 PM »
Sceptimatic claimed "there is no sunset".
What about that whole "there is a sunset" thing? You know, it happens daily.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »
Sceptimatic claimed "there is no sunset".
What about that whole "there is a sunset" thing? You know, it happens daily.
Well, since he doesn't believe that the sun is an actual object, I doubt that it could set.  Since it can't set, there are no sunsets. ::) ;D

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
What is wrong with flat earth believers? Anyone can watch a sunset or sunrise. The activity is self explanatory

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 11:42:25 PM »
Those of us without learning disabilities know that he said there is no such thing as the sunset that you were spoon fed in elementary school.   It is not rocket science.  If you are going to make yourselves look stupid, then at least put a disclaimer in your sig or something so you do not make all the rest of the roundies look stupid as well.  ::)

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 11:56:26 PM »
Those of us without learning disabilities know that he said there is no such thing as the sunset that you were spoon fed in elementary school.   It is not rocket science.  If you are going to make yourselves look stupid, then at least put a disclaimer in your sig or something so you do not make all the rest of the roundies look stupid as well.  ::)

So a phenomenon that every living person ever on earth has seen for thousands of years does not exist?

Troll alert! Troll alert! Warning, Troll alert!
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »

So a phenomenon that every living person ever on earth has seen for thousands of years does not exist?

Wow, you are so smart.  You might have an IQ that is approaching the average.  Or, maybe not.  ::)

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 12:39:06 AM »

Wow, you are so smart.  You might have an IQ that is approaching the average.  Or, maybe not.  ::)

I did an IQ test and got 140. Reliability might be kinda low but still, pretty good I'd say.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 12:42:55 AM »

I did an IQ test and got 140. Reliability might be kinda low but still, pretty good I'd say.

140 is very impressive.  I only got 135.  I am just wondering why you are posting like an idiot when you claim to be smart?  Maybe you are drunk or something? 

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 02:21:50 AM »

140 is very impressive.  I only got 135.  I am just wondering why you are posting like an idiot when you claim to be smart?  Maybe you are drunk or something?

I am not posting like an idiot. It was just so obvious that you were not serious with your post, that's all.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06:56 AM »
He is right! If we were on a flat earth. Then the sun would literally disappear in the sky.

But we do know that it rises and sets!
I mean we can see it..... And that is all there is to it.

The sun not being able to set is just crazy talk. Next thing you know, he claims dirt is not dirt; or Europe is a country; or trees pollute more than cars; or that we are in the matrix.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
He is right! If we were on a flat earth. Then the sun would literally disappear in the sky.

The sun not being able to set is just crazy talk. Next thing you know, he claims dirt is not dirt; or Europe is a country; or trees pollute more than cars; or that we are in the matrix.
I fail to see how a sun sets on your supposed globe. How does it set?
What does set mean?
A jelly left in a fridge will set. Melted chocolate will set.
What is a sun SET?

Before you answer; bear in mind that your Earth is a ROTATING globe around a massive sun, so how does it set.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:05 AM »

I am not posting like an idiot. It was just so obvious that you were not serious with your post, that's all.

If something is obvious, then why do you feel a need to declare it, as if you are the only one in the "know?"  Is your assbergers kicking in? 

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 07:47:46 AM »

What does set mean?
What is a sun SET?

Before you answer; bear in mind that your Earth is a ROTATING globe around a massive sun, so how does it set.

You just described it right there!
Oh well, i will explain it.

The earth rotates around its own axis, while it orbits the sun. The sun creates a lot of heat and light and that heat and light comes to the earth. But because of earths rotation the sun moves from our perspective. And once it has gone behind our own planet (under the horizon) it creates a shadow, that is our night. If sun is about to go behind the planet (under the horizon) then we call that a sunset.

Why we call it a sunset? No idea.
As far as i am concerned, we could call it a sundown or something. But its called sunset, so everyone calls it a sunset.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »

If something is obvious, then why do you feel a need to declare it, as if you are the only one in the "know?"  Is your assbergers kicking in?

I dunno, I just had a feeling.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 03:49:10 AM »

What does set mean?
It means this:

the time in the evening when the sun disappears or daylight fades.

or more formally:

The time of sunset is defined in astronomy as the moment when the trailing edge of the Sun's disk disappears below the horizon

Are you saying that this doesn't happen?  What other areas of reality will you deny next? 

In the English language, different words can mean different things depending on their context.  Do you really not know this?

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 04:10:58 AM »
So basically there is no sun SET. It's merely (by your indoctrinated universe and Earth/sun) your Earth spinning around a central sun.
It's called a sun set and sun rise which implies that the SUN is doing the work and yet we are to believe that the Earth is doing it all.

Silly isn't it but I kn ow that you're reason for asking is more to do with my Earth and dome. But the same thing applies to setting.
To set it would mean that my sun would literally have to basically land and sit in a position away from our eye sight.

Can my torch beam be considered to set as it moves down my wall to disappear from my sight? Makes no sense, right?

Now a glowing ball floating down a wall and disappearing behind a hill to rest could be construed as setting.
So what does my sun do to appear to set?

It's quite simple. It's a reflection and that reflection moves over the dome into the distance from  me and is reflected off that dome as the dome slowly curves down.
By that time the reflective sun is being obscured by the thick atmosphere over distance as well as moving down that dome, which you see as disappearing light at the bottom and bright half light to quarter light sinking into that.

There's still no setting sun though. A setting sun is the wrong term.
I think I'll make up a new term because we need more reality.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »
So basically there is no sun SET. It's merely (by your indoctrinated universe and Earth/sun) your Earth spinning around a central sun.
It's called a sun set and sun rise which implies that the SUN is doing the work and yet we are to believe that the Earth is doing it all.

Silly isn't it but I kn ow that you're reason for asking is more to do with my Earth and dome. But the same thing applies to setting.
To set it would mean that my sun would literally have to basically land and sit in a position away from our eye sight.

Can my torch beam be considered to set as it moves down my wall to disappear from my sight? Makes no sense, right?

Now a glowing ball floating down a wall and disappearing behind a hill to rest could be construed as setting.
So what does my sun do to appear to set?

It's quite simple. It's a reflection and that reflection moves over the dome into the distance from  me and is reflected off that dome as the dome slowly curves down.
By that time the reflective sun is being obscured by the thick atmosphere over distance as well as moving down that dome, which you see as disappearing light at the bottom and bright half light to quarter light sinking into that.

I think I'll make up a new term because we need more reality.

This is a sunset:

It's a phenomenon where the line of sight between an observer and the sun is getting obscured by the celestial body the observer is positioned on. Everyone can see it and pretty much everyone has seen it. According to the quote in the OP, you don't believe this phenomenon ever happen.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 04:38:22 AM »
So basically there is no sun SET.
Eh?  Of course there is - everyone knows what "sunset" means.

It's called a sun set and sun rise which implies that the SUN is doing the work
It doesn't imply this.

Errm, so how is the sun directly overhead in Australia, whilst completely out of view in the UK?  How is the sun rising for half the planet and setting for the other half.  Your explanation makes no sense.  How about that diagram you're always promising to draw?

Yeah, good luck with redefining the English language, I'm sure that will go well....

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 04:54:17 AM »

It doesn't imply this.

Errm, so how is the sun directly overhead in Australia, whilst completely out of view in the UK?  How is the sun rising for half the planet and setting for the other half.  Your explanation makes no sense.  How about that diagram you're always promising to draw?

Yeah, good luck with redefining the English language, I'm sure that will go well....
Today, just for you, I'm going to draw what I'm saying and you can accept it or argue it. It's up to you.
Tomorrow I will put the hand drawing's in this thread.

Oh and by the way, the picture you put before me is not a setting sun. The sun cannot set on your globe model anymore than it can set on mine.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 05:12:03 AM »

It doesn't imply this.

Today, just for you, I'm going to draw what I'm saying and you can accept it or argue it. It's up to you.

Oh and by the way, the picture you put before me is not a setting sun. The sun cannot set on your globe model anymore than it can set on mine.

The picture shows a setting sun; the line of sight is getting obscured by the celestial body that the observer is positioned on. You can't deny that.

When in doubt; sources!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 05:27:08 AM »

It doesn't imply this.

The picture shows a setting sun; the line of sight is getting obscured by the celestial body that the observer is positioned on. You can't deny that.
A torch reflection moving down a wall and out of sight is not a setting reflection. Your sun cannot set.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 05:54:25 AM »

It doesn't imply this.

A torch reflection moving down a wall and out of sight is not a setting reflection. Your sun cannot set.

Disproven. As you can see in this picture the sun is setting (=the line of sight is getting obscured by the celestial body that the observer is positioned on).

When in doubt; sources!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 06:04:38 AM »
No matter what you think's happening...the sun is not setting.
If it was setting it would go down from your view and stop. This doesn't happen because it is always moving due to your Earth spin which you all proclaim is happening.

If I see a plane fly over a house and slowly that plane appears to start to disappear over that roof; is it the plane setting?
I see it losing it's size , so is it dropping down behind the house or is it merely flying away from the house?

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 06:06:02 AM »
Today, just for you, I'm going to draw what I'm saying
I look forward to it.  Seriously, I really do.

The sun cannot set on your globe model anymore than it can set on mine.
This is what sunset means:

"the time in the evening when the sun disappears or daylight fades."

Sunsets occur in every model.  Or are you trying to tell us that it doesn't get dark every night?

The word sunset has been around for 600 years, and is used by everyone in the English speaking world.   Saying sunsets don't occur just makes you sound like a lunatic, though I guess you aren't too bothered about that.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 06:24:04 AM »
If it was setting it would go down from your view and stop. This doesn't happen because it is always moving due to your Earth spin which you all proclaim is happening.

If I see a plane fly over a house and slowly that plane appears to start to disappear over that roof; is it the plane setting?
I see it losing it's size , so is it dropping down behind the house or is it merely flying away from the house?

One definition of the verb "set, setting" is: To pass/sink below the horizon.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sets
The sun is passing/sinking below the observers horizon, and therefore "setting". You can't change facts.

When in doubt; sources!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 06:27:54 AM »
Today, just for you, I'm going to draw what I'm saying
I look forward to it.  Seriously, I really do.

The sun cannot set on your globe model anymore than it can set on mine.
This is what sunset means:

"the time in the evening when the sun disappears or daylight fades."

Sunsets occur in every model.  Or are you trying to tell us that it doesn't get dark every night?

The word sunset has been around for 600 years, and is used by everyone in the English speaking world.   Saying sunsets don't occur just makes you sound like a lunatic, though I guess you aren't too bothered about that.
I'm not interested whether the word "sunset" has been around for X amount of years. It is not true. The sun, no matter which way it's looked at on whatever Earth model...does not set.

To set means what it says. It sets. It stays still. It stops moving on it's own.

For instance:
1. I poured a mould today but I have to wait till it's SET before I can open the casing.

If your Earth keeps moving and giving you a variation of sun views from appearing to disappearing, it is only your Earth that's dictating what and when you see things.
Your sun is supposedly in the centre and could be deemed as being SET, always except I think your sun spins as well, doesn't it?
So SET means nothing from any point.

Your sun rises and falls as you perceive it. It never sets.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 06:32:18 AM »

One definition of the verb "set, setting" is: To pass/sink below the horizon.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sets
The sun is passing/sinking below the observers horizon, and therefore "setting". You can't change facts.
There are no facts.
Set or setting does not apply to something that cannot set or is not setting. Your sun does neither.