Airline Pilots and Ship's Captains: do they know?

• 26 Replies
Airline Pilots and Ship's Captains: do they know?
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:13:43 AM »
Good Evening (It is here)  :)

So what about airline pilots and ship's captains then?  Do they know, have they guessed that they're on a flat earth?  How is this covered up/accounted for?  I'm genuinely curious about this.  Forgive my lack of knowledge here but do they navigate using flat earth maps?  Surely they must otherwise wouldn't they get lost?  How is this explained or taught to them? 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
Re: Airline Pilots and Ship's Captains: do they know?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:18:08 PM »
Congratulations, you just proved that a flat Earth conspiracy is impossible to maintain.  Either they would figure out or they would all know and there would be at least one whistle blower.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
Good Evening (It is here)  :)

So what about airline pilots and ship's captains then?  Do they know, have they guessed that they're on a flat earth?  How is this covered up/accounted for?  I'm genuinely curious about this.  Forgive my lack of knowledge here but do they navigate using flat earth maps?  Surely they must otherwise wouldn't they get lost?  How is this explained or taught to them?
They are flying and sailing on instruments. They are reliant on them. A plane flies level when altitude is reached and a ship floats level on calm water. Why would anyone believe it to be a globe other than being told it is?
They are not following a globular map in the cockpit or bridge.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »
They would have to know that there is 3 times the area in the southern hemisphere than the north.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »
They are flying and sailing on instruments. They are reliant on them. A plane flies level when altitude is reached and a ship floats level on calm water. Why would anyone believe it to be a globe other than being told it is?
They are not following a globular map in the cockpit or bridge.

But surely they would notice that voyages in the southern hemisphere take much longer then they should by a huge factor.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  I guess I didn't phrase the question very well.  I was really wondering if the distances/direction of travel were different to a pilot or a ships captains expectations as like the rest of us they have been brought up to believe in a global world.  Navigation is not a strong subject of mine.  But as you make the point they are using navigation systems and following orders/training so perhaps they don't notice.  I have travelled abroad and I certainly had no idea.  The conditioning is so strong we don't even question or notice,  at least I didn't until now.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  I guess I didn't phrase the question very well.  I was really wondering if the distances/direction of travel were different to a pilot or a ships captains expectations as like the rest of us they have been brought up to believe in a global world.  Navigation is not a strong subject of mine.  But as you make the point they are using navigation systems and following orders/training so perhaps they don't notice.  I have travelled abroad and I certainly had no idea.  The conditioning is so strong we don't even question or notice,  at least I didn't until now.

All flights and boat trips in the southern hemisphere are much shorter then they should be in the southern hemisphere on a flat Earth by a huge margin.  Unless planes and boats are faster then we are told and only in the southern hemisphere then the Earth is round, and if the Earth were flat then all airline pilots and boat captains would still have to be in on the conspiracy because they can see the speedometer.  The reson you havn't noticed flat Earth before now is simply because this whole time you have been on a globe.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »

You'd think the planes would notice when they drop out of the sky due to the fuel calculations being completely wrong.  ::)
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »
Lol, like they are using,a globe to navigate.  You RE'rs keep running out of ammo, so you will grasp at anything to try to convince people of your lies.  How much is the shill paycheck these days?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:18:04 PM by jroa »

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
OK. But all you will probably get from jroa is that it is all lies.

But here is the truth of the matter.:

Air line pilots (as well as any pilot ) , especially those in the USA, use "Sectional Charts." These are flat maps but they are projections made from the globe. They cover a small area so the distortions inherent in the projections of making flat maps from the globe are minimized.

Ship's captains use similar charts covering small areas of the ocean. I'm not sure how things are now-I've been out of the Navy for many years . But ships used to have a special room set aside called "The Chart Room" where there were drawers drawers of maps and maps in cabinets in these chart rooms. The old movie "A Night To Remember" shows some scenes of how these charts were used for oceanic navigation.

Bottom line. Flat maps are used. But they are all made from projections of the globe.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 01:10:27 AM »
Lol, like they are using,a globe to navigate.  You RE'rs keep running out of ammo, so you will grasp at anything to try to convince people of your lies.  How much is the shill paycheck these days?

The ONLY maps ever to be made available for navigation have been projections of the globe onto a flat surface,   I'm sure that there would be huge advantages in having a real flat earth map,   for a start the map would be 100% accurate for measuring distances and directions between points.   That would be a real winner for navigating aircraft and ships.

So why has no-one ever managed to produce a flat earth map that works correctly?   

The monopolar map is a joke.   The bipolar map even more so.   The continued failure to produce a working map is probably the biggest failure of the flat earth movement.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 06:16:25 AM »
Lol, like they are using,a globe to navigate.
They are using  maps based on the globe model of the world - what else would they use?  You admit there is no flat earth map.  In fact there is no flat earth map that even remotely works, for reasons that are pretty fucking obvious.

You RE'rs keep running out of ammo, so you will grasp at anything to try to convince people of your lies.  How much is the shill paycheck these days?
Get some new shtick.  ::)
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »

Nope. Just gyroscopes. Which prove the Earth is a sphere.

Well that was easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 12:24:21 PM »
I think it is flat- otherwise wouldn't ships be sailing downhill on every voyage / direction?  Round earthers explain that...

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 01:00:45 PM »
I think it is flat- otherwise wouldn't ships be sailing downhill on every voyage / direction?  Round earthers explain that...

That's easy.  just think about what "down" means on a round Earth.  Down is the direction of the center if the Earth and your altitude is your distance from the center.  This means that ships stay the same altitude and always move perpendicular to down, which means that they don't go uphill or downhill.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »

Ocean going ships don't sail downhill. They stay at a constant level - sea level.

The only type ships that I know of that  can go downhill are submarines.

I KNOW that the earth is a globe. There is no "thinking" about it.

By your analysis all cars and aircraft would also be going downhill all the time but They always go at some altitude. Cars do go uphill and downhill. Mountains and valleys you know. And aircraft do go uphill and downhill. It's called altitude.

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
And, on cue, the roudies pack up to jump on the new guy.  I suppose you need to earn your shill paychecks somehow, and it is much easier when you gang up on someone who just asked a simple question, right?   :-\

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 04:25:16 AM »
And, on cue, the roudies pack up to jump on the new guy.  I suppose you need to earn your shill paychecks somehow, and it is much easier when you gang up on someone who just asked a simple question, right?   :-\

Two is a gang?
I'm no rocket scientist, but at least I know the Earth is round, Man went to the Moon, and air exists.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Carl Sagan

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 04:34:35 AM »
Two people can't gang up on one person?  Are you really this retarded?   :-\

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 06:11:27 PM »

Why are you always so nasty? Why do you call everyone names? Why do you think you are better than everyone? Why can't you make a comment without being condescending? Why are you always in such a bad mood?

Why?
I'm no rocket scientist, but at least I know the Earth is round, Man went to the Moon, and air exists.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »
When there are 10 RE'ers for every FE'er on a FE forum, it tends to make you keep your guard up.  Why do you ask?

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 11:20:21 PM »

Jeez... what's up with this? Didn't he ask round earthers (plural) to answer a simple question? Didn't two of them do exactly as requested?

Since it seems you missed it, here it is, with the  invitation highlighted.

Why so touchy? Is the futility of trying to defend the indefensible getting to you? It certainly must be frustrating.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »
When there are 10 RE'ers for every FE'er on a FE forum, it tends to make you keep your guard up.  Why do you ask?

Just trying to understand why you call people retarded and other choice names with little provocation. 

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »

Just trying to understand why you call people retarded and other choice names with little provocation.

Like most of the FE'ers, he gets off on watching people believe him when he tells outrageous lies (i.e. that her thinks the earth is flat). What do you think the character of people who think that is funny is likely to be? Probably the same sort of person who thinks it's impressive to squeal his tyres at traffic lights, or amusing to hurt animals.
So there's your answer. He's just your basic dickhead.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »

Why are you always so nasty? Why do you call everyone names? Why do you think you are better than everyone? Why can't you make a comment without being condescending? Why are you always in such a bad mood?

Why?

I think jroa's problem is frustration. When the true facts are presented he gets frustrated when he realizes the earth is not some flat disc and he has to keep inventing fantasies is the problem. Or maybe it's just an act.

BTW the only so-called "flat earth maps" that I  have seen presented on this forum are the common monopolar and bipolar maps. They are just well known projections made from the globe. The FES  might just as well use the Mercator Projection as proof of a flat earth. But the problems would be even more apparent. Truth of the matter there is no such thing as a real flat earth map. Because the earth is not flat.

I think flat earthers would be less frustrated if they just said "These are just our IDEAS of how we would THINK things would  HAVE TO BE IF the earth was flat."  And just realize that the earth is a globe, I think they would have more fun and less frustration and other bad things (like tempers) that give this website the already bad name it has.

I served a relatively short time in the Navy. I would hate to think what would have happened if someone had even mentioned the word "flat earth" to my Captain. But the Captain being  very patient would probably have explained the facts of the matter or assigned some one to help the person. But as far as I know, this situation has never come up.

Just take jroa for what he is. If you are on this website very long you'll get used to it. LOL
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:50:52 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 08:58:35 PM »

RE's will never run of ammo. FE's didn't have any to start with. LOL.

Ah Yes ! The old FE word "shill." Everyone except a flat earther is a "shill."

Chorus:

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »
They are flying and sailing on instruments. They are reliant on them.

This is simply not true. We can fly using the Mark One Eyeball, and not be reliant on instruments at all. I have flown a plane for many hundreds of miles without using instruments.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:32:36 AM by King_Drax_I »