What if you were approached by a government agent claiming that Earth is flat?

• 13 Replies

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
What if a government agent approached you claiming that Earth us flat and that there is a conspiracy to hide it, and that you will be paid $1,000,000 a year to keep it under your hat.  Would you do it?  I certainly wouldn't.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
I would accept until i got my first payment, then I'd below the whistle and use my payment as part of the evidence, then quickly hiding it away  ::)
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

?

tappet

What if a government agent approached you claiming that Earth us flat and that there is a conspiracy to hide it, and that you will be paid $1,000,000 a year to keep it under your hat.  Would you do it?  I certainly wouldn't.
I would do it for a one off payment of $45.00. Could not care less about blowing whistles/informing people, everyone is on their own journey so they will have their own beliefs.
The $45.00 will get me a cigar and a bottle of red and I'll be fine thanks.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
I would do it for a one off payment of $45.00. Could not care less about blowing whistles/informing people, everyone is on their own journey so they will have their own beliefs.
The $45.00 will get me a cigar and a bottle of red and I'll be fine thanks.

A bottle of Grange Hermitage, and a decent Cuban,  will set you back a bit more than $45,     I'd take the million and then go to the media,   story of the millennium,  should be worth a book deal at least.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Poko

I'd take the million in a heartbeat. I would such a small part of the necessary conspiracy that even if I did blow the whistle it wouldn't make much of a difference. Unfortunately for me, however, I will never get this million because the conspiracy doesn't exist because the planet is round.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

Yendor

How do you know you can trust this government agent? He may be working for NASA and who in their right mind would trust someone from NASA?
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Wait, is it tax free?
Earth is flat because I am flat, and that's that. I am flat because god is flat and I was made in the great flounder's image.

What if a government agent approached you claiming that Earth us flat and that there is a conspiracy to hide it, and that you will be paid $1,000,000 a year to keep it under your hat. 

This is even less plausible than Heiwa paying the million he owes you!

What's the logic of spontaneously bringing someone into a conspiracy and then paying hush money to keep them quiet about it?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

?

BJ1234

What if a government agent approached you claiming that Earth us flat and that there is a conspiracy to hide it, and that you will be paid $1,000,000 a year to keep it under your hat. 

What's the logic of spontaneously bringing someone into a conspiracy and then paying hush money to keep them quiet about it?
Cronyism.  You are obviously the agents buddy, and you will be giving this agent a kickback of 100,000 dollars out of the million.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones

Wait, is it tax free?
Yes, but since it's an illegal bribe, you can never spend the money or put it in a bank lest you become compelled to tell the IRS where you got the money.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

Such things would be required if the Earth were flat like if you just got hired at NASA or became an airline pilot.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Poko

Hey, this is a big conspiracy. It requires million, of not billions of people to be in on it. Anybody involved in math, science, or engineering would have to be in on the conspiracy. You would also have to pay off everybody involved in education of mathematics, science, and engineering. You would also have to bribe every single professor and student of every university in the world. finally, you would have to pay off the families of all these people so their family doesn't blow the whistle.

You would have to make sure the bribe is big enough so that nobody actually reveals the truth.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence

Wait, is it tax free?
Yes, but since it's an illegal bribe, you can never spend the money or put it in a bank lest you become compelled to tell the IRS where you got the money.

You've never heard of money laundering?

Wait, is it tax free?

You've never heard of money laundering?

I hear Walter White's old car wash is still for sale.
I'm no rocket scientist, but at least I know the Earth is round, Man went to the Moon, and air exists.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Carl Sagan