Riddle me this, Round Earther's.

• 145 Replies

Mike Mazzone

• Proud Flat Earther
Re: Riddle me this, Round Earther's.
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
If the earth is orbitting the sun at thousands of miles per hour...Why do we not all fly off into space?

The force of gravity in your hypothetical round earth, is only 9.8 meters per second. Yet...the earth orbits the sun at thousands of meters per second!

That would be like trying to hold unto a merry go round, going thousands of miles per hour, with only a fridge magnet!

Explain yourselves, 'round earthers'.

I am late to this chat so i will start fresh.
The what you can see from day to day, night to night can be seen with the earth globe model.
The earth moves round the sun in an oval track, that has an average radius of 93 million miles, at a speed of 18˝ miles a second." 18.5 * 60 *60 = 66600 miles a hour, orbital velocity is the number i found. as this is earth free fall speed around the sun, the gravity of the sun is over whelm by earth’s gravity on any object on the earth as shown by sun tides bulge. next the balance between containment by gravitational attraction and dispersal by centrifugal force. That the Earth is itself an oblate spheroid, bulging at the equator where the radial distance and hence the centrifugal force is larger, is taken as one of the evidences for its absolute rotation. and that gravity downwards (centripetal) force and centrifugal force at the equator is about 3% - 5% deference of that at the poles, no big deal. As to what does this all mean more detail is needed a day IE speed of earth rotation is 23.93 an hour and 365.25 days to orbit once around the sun, hence the need of a leap year to keep the stars in place. Earth spin is not vertical to the orbital plain is 23.4° This causes one pole to be directed toward the sun on one side of the orbit, and the other pole on the other side, the cause of the seasons on earth. Now we through in the moon the second tides maker is distance 238,900 miles orbital time is about 29.5 days near the orbital plan of the earth moon, sun. the cause of eclipses. 
That being the globe model, my challenge is for your to explain all that can be seen using flat earth model. ???
Yoda is up for the challenge, check out the rendering in the video.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
My Flat Earth Youtube Statement

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »

I think you are a troll, I am going to call it now.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

V

• icosatetrachoron
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2015, 08:45:47 PM »

I think you are a troll, I am going to call it now.
Agreed. The video he provided is pathetic and proves nothing.
i don't need a signature. go away.

Mike Mazzone

• Proud Flat Earther
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2015, 11:56:17 PM »
See it's like yoda said, you guys got nothing but ad hominems.  The detailed rendering of the flat earth is from 15-30 seconds into the video, with yoda's great narration in place in the background.
My Flat Earth Youtube Statement

Quail

• I can't sea gull.
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »
See it's like yoda said, you guys got nothing but ad hominems.  The detailed rendering of the flat earth is from 15-30 seconds into the video, with yoda's great narration in place in the background.

First of all, it's not a flat earth rendering, but just a flat projection of the round earth map. Second of all, what the hell is that day and night system? It makes no sense, goes against the laws of physics and there is no dawn and evening.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2015, 10:44:23 AM »
That yoda video claimed that there was no proof that Earth is round.  There is a space station currently orbiting the Earth.

V

• icosatetrachoron
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2015, 01:50:18 PM »
That yoda video claimed that there was no proof that Earth is round.  There is a space station currently orbiting the Earth.
And it passes by every 90 minutes. Go out and look for it, FEers.
i don't need a signature. go away.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »

Actually it's slightly more rare because Earth rotates.

The point still stands though.

« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2015, 04:15:48 PM »
If the earth is orbitting the sun at thousands of miles per hour...Why do we not all fly off into space?

The force of gravity in your hypothetical round earth, is only 9.8 meters per second. Yet...the earth orbits the sun at thousands of meters per second!

That would be like trying to hold unto a merry go round, going thousands of miles per hour, with only a fridge magnet!

I am late to this chat so i will start fresh.
The what you can see from day to day, night to night can be seen with the earth globe model.
The earth moves round the sun in an oval track, that has an average radius of 93 million miles, at a speed of 18˝ miles a second." 18.5 * 60 *60 = 66600 miles a hour, orbital velocity is the number i found. as this is earth free fall speed around the sun, the gravity of the sun is over whelm by earth’s gravity on any object on the earth as shown by sun tides bulge. next the balance between containment by gravitational attraction and dispersal by centrifugal force. That the Earth is itself an oblate spheroid, bulging at the equator where the radial distance and hence the centrifugal force is larger, is taken as one of the evidences for its absolute rotation. and that gravity downwards (centripetal) force and centrifugal force at the equator is about 3% - 5% deference of that at the poles, no big deal. As to what does this all mean more detail is needed a day IE speed of earth rotation is 23.93 an hour and 365.25 days to orbit once around the sun, hence the need of a leap year to keep the stars in place. Earth spin is not vertical to the orbital plain is 23.4° This causes one pole to be directed toward the sun on one side of the orbit, and the other pole on the other side, the cause of the seasons on earth. Now we through in the moon the second tides maker is distance 238,900 miles orbital time is about 29.5 days near the orbital plan of the earth moon, sun. the cause of eclipses. 
That being the globe model, my challenge is for your to explain all that can be seen using flat earth model. ???

LOL vary funny well produced but did not answer
 the question but started the name calling why? I ask for a modal did not get one so I will give you this model as a visual perspective. Unfortunately It is not possible to do size and distances that are involved the best I can do is simplistic model in there relationship to each other. We will deal with the players: Sun, Earth, Moon, and the Zodiacal Constellations. The Sun is in the center of this model then the Earth Moon then far out the Zodiacal Constellations in a large circle evenly spaced out as there separation deemed fit. You stand some distance from center a fire or torch with a helper that holds a ball (you may draw a happy face on it for the face of the moon) the ball size is that of a baseball, softball, or tennis ball. Your head is the earth your feet is to the south, you turn from right to left having the sun appears to rise in the east come to noon and recedes to west, stars come out as you face away from fire or light. This is the day moving in a circle around the sum 365 1/4 times for a year, hence a leap year to account for the missing 1/4 days, keeping the Zodiac in it place as we see it during a year. The 365 day pace around the sun is divided into 12 parts the naming of the Zodiac one for each part. This movement around the sun explains the change as you look out away from the Sun. We now look at what the moon dos and it’s moves around the earth (you) in a 29 1/2 days the face always facing you (he is not to get in-between you and the Sun) you have to look at the hole of the face and how it is light giving you the phases of the moon. The next element the eclipse of the moon and sun from time to time the moon can fall in the shadow of your head (earth) this being a lunar eclipse and other times the moon is between you and the sun when you are face the sun thus the solar eclipse (Your helper may have to move the moon, ball up or down to get this right.). During a solar eclipse you see the opposite Zodiacal Constellations that is visible that night. Next up the seasons can’t be recreated by this model it involves the tilting of the earth as it rotates the sun pointing up out to Polaris that just happen to be in the right spot.
To what power that holds this model all to gather, it is call gravity.
If you find fault with this model, the fault lies with the modeler, not the thing being modeled.
Can you take your gravity blinders off long enough to see things as thy really are?
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2015, 09:19:58 PM »

Actually it's slightly more rare because Earth rotates.

The point still stands though.

Speaking of ISS, amature astrophotographer captured this amazing shot of ISS passing in front of the moon 2 weeks ago. He provides access to raw image if you interested.

http://deography.com/international-space-station-over-australia/

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:22:56 PM by striv »
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. ― George Carlin

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »

Ugh... Your posts have so many inaccuracies that it will take me a long post to point them all out (please don't take offense, I don't mean to be rude or anything). Anyway, I will give you the "short" answer (and please reply if you disagree with it):

We can't feel the centrifugal "force" (you are right that it is not actually a force in its own, it's merely the "reaction" to the centripetal force, which is the force that prevents the object for flying away. Example: when swinging a rock with a rope, the rope exerts the centripetal force, and the centrifugal "force" is what seems to make the rock "want" to fling away, although it's actually the inertia. The use of the word is actually a mere convention, just like "g-force" is merely acceleration divided by the acceleration of gravity, just to put into perspective the force of that acceleration) because... well... the centripetal force is being applied on our entire bodies, every single molecule of them. I have to ask you, what keeps the earth revolving and not flying away? "The sun's gravitational attraction", you will say. So, gravity is the centripetal force here. Remember, gravity is applied on EVERY BODY WITH A NON ZERO MASS. What does that mean? The exact same force that is applied to the earth to prevent it from flying away is applied on us to prevent us from flying away. If the earth were to suddenly disappear, we would keep revolving around the sun. It's like being inside a free-falling, totally opaque elevator. Say you were born in one. Would you have any way of knowing that you are actually accelerating? No. It would be identical to being in 0 gravity, because the elevator below you (and above you) would be accelerating due to gravity exactly as much as you would be accelerating due to gravity. The sun accelerates the earth exactly as much as it accelerates you. Thus, you don't feel anything.

Now for the other question: why don't we fly off of the surface of earth because of its spin/why don't the oceans migrate to the equator? The Earth at the equator is spinning at about 460 meters per second at the equator. Its radius is about 6,400,000 meters. The formula for the centripetal acceleration (and, therefore, for the centrifugal acceleration) is a=v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius. Do the math. Actually, no, I already did them for you. The acceleration is about 0.033m/s^2. The acceleration of earth is about 9.8m/s^2. Don't worry, you're not going to fly off into space any time soon :)

I hope you realized your mistake. After all, we learn from them :)
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »
Anyone who believes in Special Relativity, is a victim of blind faith.

1) Now would be a good time to admit that you were wrong when you said that we would just fly off into space because of earth's motion. It would be the first time a supposedly open minded flat earther admits that he is wrong.
2) About special relativity, I have to ask you 2 questions: do you accept that the speed of light is finite? Do you accept that it appears to be the same for any observer no matter the observer's speed? Both are based on experimental evidence, but I know that most flat earthers cherry pick experiments. If you choose to accept them, then I can derive special relativity for you. It's not gonna be very simple and easy, but I can do it so that you can see for yourself. It's not blind trust, it's trust.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »
She said she was a troll already.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Pezevenk

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2015, 05:33:13 AM »

Where?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

hello_there

• Round Earther
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2015, 06:38:10 AM »
We can't feel the centrifugal "force" (you are right that it is not actually a force in its own, it's merely the "reaction" to the centripetal force, which is the force that prevents the object for flying away. Example: when swinging a rock with a rope, the rope exerts the centripetal force, and the centrifugal "force" is what seems to make the rock "want" to fling away, although it's actually the inertia. The use of the word is actually a mere convention, just like "g-force" is merely acceleration divided by the acceleration of gravity, just to put into perspective the force of that acceleration) because... well... the centripetal force is being applied on our entire bodies, every single molecule of them. I have to ask you, what keeps the earth revolving and not flying away? "The sun's gravitational attraction", you will say. So, gravity is the centripetal force here. Remember, gravity is applied on EVERY BODY WITH A NON ZERO MASS. What does that mean? The exact same force that is applied to the earth to prevent it from flying away is applied on us to prevent us from flying away. If the earth were to suddenly disappear, we would keep revolving around the sun. It's like being inside a free-falling, totally opaque elevator. Say you were born in one. Would you have any way of knowing that you are actually accelerating? No. It would be identical to being in 0 gravity, because the elevator below you (and above you) would be accelerating due to gravity exactly as much as you would be accelerating due to gravity. The sun accelerates the earth exactly as much as it accelerates you. Thus, you don't feel anything.

Thank you. Finally, someone with the proper answer. This is what I meant when I said centrifugal force from earth orbiting the sun and the earth's spin doesn't work together to "fling" you, simply because the earth orbiting the sun doesn't "fling" you in the first place. I was kinda worried if I explain it this way flat earthers would flip out and attack me just because this concept is a bit difficult and their knowledge of physics is worryingly limited. So you might want to brace yourself, Definitely Not Official.

I went this way instead:
Even if the centrifugal force (you call this fling force) from the earth orbiting the sun and the earth's rotation work together (this can't happen, if you know proper physics then you know why, if you are wondering why I will elaborate further; but i'll proceed anyway to give maximum centrifugal force), this is just 0.40736% of the force of gravity provided by earth. Here is the proof:
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/9872/Wqt097.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/3958/cn8EoC.jpg

And the formula I used to calculate the centrifugal force (if you don't believe in text books), I derived it from scratch:
http://imageshack.com/a/img913/9932/jFtpvC.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img908/7175/dYytC4.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/2998/RilrQW.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img911/973/YXk9r7.jpg

But with the proper concept in mind, it does not matter how fast the earth is orbiting the sun, people on it will not "fling" into space.

If you and your frame of reference are orbiting an object together due to it's gravity, then in that frame of reference the the centrifugal force from you orbiting that object does not exist, and you don't feel the gravity of that object either, because the force of gravity is applied to every single matter in your body. That's why spinning a rock with rope or you inside a turning car is a bad analogy.

Just like the people in the ISS. The ISS is their frame of reference, they don't feel the earth's gravity in that frame of reference, and the ISS orbiting the earth doesn't "fling" them either.

If you do the math and stating ISS as the frame of reference, earth's gravity and centrifugal force exactly cancels each other out, because the earth's gravity is the one that causes the ISS and everyone in it to orbit the earth in the first place. Same concept works with the earth orbiting the sun.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:53:10 AM by hello_there »

hello_there

• Round Earther
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »

I didn't see it either. She actually admitted once that she was trolling, but in here. Well, sort of:
Just google search "sun". You can find plenty of pics of the sun with no lens flare, only none that show it at proportionate size, with earth as reference.

By the way my computer rendering was done at the earth's reference point. Dont believe me do it yourself.

Ahh, you're talking about those detailed zoomed pictures? They use strong advanced light filters for those pictures, and if they tried to take a picture of earth with it, earth would be completely black; the whole picture would be completely black unless the sun would be somewhere in the picture, and then the sun would be the only visible object.
You may have one this battle, comrad, but you haven't won the war.

And how do you know GreatandWiseTrixie is a "she"?

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »
Trixie is a female name, I dunno.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2015, 08:57:59 AM »
Trixie made a thread in the lounge or somewhere where they admitted that they were a troller.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Pezevenk

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2015, 10:19:49 AM »
Trixie made a thread in the lounge or somewhere where they admitted that they were a troller.

I guess that settles it then. Everybody who supported his/her arguments now seems twice as stupid.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

hello_there

• Round Earther
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »

now that explains force being defined in mph.

I guess that settles it then. Everybody who supported his/her arguments now seems twice as stupid.

and proving that they are trolls as well

« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
There is no centrifugal force associated with an object in orbit because as opposed to a person on a merry-go-round, gravity is acting on every object at the same rate.

If I'm holding onto a bar of a fast spinning merry-go-round, the bar exerts a force on my hands but not on the rest of my body, causing my body to fling outwards. Gravity on the other hand does act on all of my body simultaneously. This is the reason objects appear to float inside of a spaceship. The force of gravity is acting on the ship, you, and everything else in the ship at the same rate. 

Pezevenk

« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »
There is no centrifugal force associated with an object in orbit because as opposed to a person on a merry-go-round, gravity is acting on every object at the same rate.

If I'm holding onto a bar of a fast spinning merry-go-round, the bar exerts a force on my hands but not on the rest of my body, causing my body to fling outwards. Gravity on the other hand does act on all of my body simultaneously. This is the reason objects appear to float inside of a spaceship. The force of gravity is acting on the ship, you, and everything else in the ship at the same rate.

Precisely. But he did admit into being a troll.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »
Well that was enough to show me this forum is alot of conspiracy theorists with no facts or evidence (or sense) arguing against alot of scientific minded individuals.

Touche globers, you are turning me sensible again lol

?

Art

« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2015, 10:26:50 PM »
“All of your guy'ses knowledge of physics is exceedingly poor, actually.”

“As you grow further and further from the center of a rotating body, the fling force increases.

Big radius = Bigger fling force.

Go and explain your “Fling Force” to a Physics forum and link us to the results.

RET:0 - FET:0

Pezevenk

« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2015, 06:30:45 AM »
Well that was enough to show me this forum is alot of conspiracy theorists with no facts or evidence (or sense) arguing against alot of scientific minded individuals.

Touche globers, you are turning me sensible again lol

You have to be the first flat earthers to actually say that.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)