Moon observation experiment (flat earther volenteers needed)

• 44 Replies

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
In the past I have done a Sun observation experiment involving multiple people in different parts of the world observing sunspots at the exact same time trying to detect parallax.  I found no parallax meaning that the Sun is far away and that the Earth s round, but some flat earthers said that the experiment was inconclusive due to low image quality or some nonsense like that.  I also have a thread to plan a redo of that experiment involving more people, but very few people have the proper equipment.  This is why I am proposing this next experiment.

This experiment is the same as the Sun observation one, except it's the Moon that we will be observing.  The great part about this is that even on a round Earth the parallax should be great enough that it should be possible to calculate the distance to the Moon, assuming that the images have a high enough quality.  If the Earth is round then we should see only this tiny amount of parallax and the exact amount of parallax should put the Moon at roughly 238,900 miles away.  On a flat Earth we should expect the parallax to be so great that we won't see the same sides of the Moon and the phases should be different for everyone.  If anyone disagrees with these predictions then you can present your own.  That includes you flat earthers.

What I need is anyone with the equipment to photograph the Moon.  Even a camera with a god zoom on it would work.  Ideally I would like the image to be as zoomed in as possible while still showing the whole Moon, but if you can't zoom in that far you can still participate.  I would like as many flat earthers to participate as possible.  I won't plan the exact date until I have a good few volunteers so we can work out time zone and weather related stuff so I can get as many of the volunteers as possible to be able to participate.  If you do volunteer then note that it's not a commitment, it's just letting me know that you are willing and capable of participating.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:53:04 AM by mikeman7918 »
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Re: Moon observation experiment (volenteers needed)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:20:07 AM »
Hi
Count me in.

I will either take an image through SCT or just my long focal length lens.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:37:52 AM »
All I have for a camera is a little point and shoot, but if it has enough zoom, I'm in.

Upstate NY. USA
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:25:59 AM by Doglover »
I'm no rocket scientist, but at least I know the Earth is round, Man went to the Moon, and air exists.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Carl Sagan

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »
I forgot to mention in the main post that I will need to know your general location if you volunteer for time zone and weather related stuff.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
Sounds like fun, I'll do it provided I'm available at the time.  I don't have a "god zoom", but I should be able to get some decent shots through my spotting scope.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 11:38:34 AM »
I don't think I have the required equipment besides a tripod and a reflex (?). If I have enough time I may get equipment, but yeah, I can try.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
Where is Tom and his 60 x spotting scope when you need it.
Remember, evolution has never produced an Oreo in nature, therefore heart surgery is impossible.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
I still need to know what time zone everyone is in for scheduling purposes.  I will also need a general idea of where you live, it doesn't need to be too precise but precise enough that I can look up the weather forecast for your area and calculate the general distance to the Moon using your observations.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
I'm Bristol, UK
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:57:06 PM »
Melbourne Australia.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 07:03:52 PM »
We seriously need some flat earthers here.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:53:18 PM »
I think we should aim for doing this next Saturday.  It will be nearly a full Moon which is great for the experiment and the weather will only be partially cloudy in the UK and here in Utah.  I will try to get flat earthers in the experiment before then and do some scheduling stuff.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 03:45:23 AM »
They don't do experiments - you should know that by now
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Re: Moon observation experiment (flat earther volenteers needed)
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 07:50:18 PM »
Pacific time (WA state) latitude 46.8

Poko

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:50 PM »
They don't do experiments - you should know that by now

They like to claim that you should do your own observations and experiments. That is, until observation and experiments prove the world isn't flat. Then you can't trust your senses.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »
after you complete this test, i have idea for new test:

have everyone on northern hemisphere point there cameras to the north axis, and those in southern hemisphere point there cameras to the south axis. we should see obvious differences in the constellations. As an added bonus, those of us who could keep cameras running all night could make time lapse videos...

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
It doesn't matter, because a consequence of the Electromagnetic Accelerator theory, where light is bent upwards, is that the same face of the sun and moon is facing the earth at all times.

under the Electromagnetic Accelerator theory, in which light is universally bending upwards, the effect would have a side effect of the sun shining its same face over the entirety of the earth's surface. Extreme angles of the sun would be bent away from the observer and never seen.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 08:07:46 PM »
It doesn't matter, because a consequence of the Electromagnetic Accelerator theory, where light is bent upwards, is that the same face of the sun and moon is facing the earth at all times.

under the Electromagnetic Accelerator theory, in which light is universally bending upwards, the effect would have a side effect of the sun shining its same face over the entirety of the earth's surface. Extreme angles of the sun would be bent away from the observer and never seen.

You are guessing.  And if an observer was in the right spot it would appear as if the sun or moon was in the ground.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 12:23:47 AM »

So you think that the Earth is flat but light just bends in a way that makes it look round.  Do you seriously think that that's a more likely explenation then everything in the sky simply being where it appears to be?

The reason that theory works so well is because it can be used to dismiss literally any observations.  I could say that there is a unicorn in my room and light is simply bending around it.

Do you want know why flat earthers have to dismiss observations like that?  It's because the Earth is round.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:02 AM »

Hey, Bob. Sup. Its been a while. In fact, its been years since I gave you an experiment that would prove light bends upwards and determine  the Bishop constant, which could be the used to ascertain the intensity of the accelerator field. That would lead, possibly, to derive all characteristics of our flat world. It would be at least as important as the Michelson-Morley experiment, and in fact could be done with similar equipment by any optics department in any university. Have you done it? Why not? Wouldnt definetly prove flat earth?
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
The earth is millions of miles away from the Sun. How would you detect any parallax?

Second, if you find 'parallax', that doesnt prove the Earth is round. If the sun is equdistant from two men on Round Earth, the photographs would be the exact same as if they were two men on Flat Earth.
The Truth = Illuminati is Illuminati is Illuminati is Illuminati - Confirmed.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »
The earth is millions of miles away from the Sun. How would you detect any parallax?

Second, if you find 'parallax', that doesnt prove the Earth is round. If the sun is equdistant from two men on Round Earth, the photographs would be the exact same as if they were two men on Flat Earth.

This experiment is to determine the distance to the moon,  not the sun,   although if you know one you can calculate the other.   Aristarchus had a method for determining the distance to the sun.

It does have to do with the shape of the Earth,  are you familiar with the Eratosthenes  experiment to measure the radius of the earth, and how it has two solutions?

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »

This experiment is to determine the distance to the moon,  not the sun,   although if you know one you can calculate the other.   Aristarchus had a method for determining the distance to the sun.

It does have to do with the shape of the Earth,  are you familiar with the Eratosthenes  experiment to measure the radius of the earth, and how it has two solutions?

Tell me...please. How can knowing the distance of two bodies, calculate the third? Ridiculous.

Pray tell, how is this done. By measuring the how fuzzy it looks in the lens?

How absurd.

The size and distance of the sun cannot be measured, by measuring the orbit of a moon, which has a locked orbit.

If the sun looks big, you cannot determine whether you see the bigness of the sun, or if it simply close by.

That is why I mention measuring the fuzziness of the image.

Hardly scientific, hardly measurable.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »
Tell me...please. How can knowing the distance of two bodies, calculate the third? Ridiculous.

If you can see the Sun and the Moon at the same time then you know the angle of the Sun relative to Earth because you can see it and you can calculate the angle of the Sun relative to the Moon because you can see which parts of the Moon are lit and thus facing the Sun.

Pray tell, how is this done. By measuring the how fuzzy it looks in the lens?

How absurd.

The size and distance of the sun cannot be measured, by measuring the orbit of a moon, which has a locked orbit.

If the sun looks big, you cannot determine whether you see the bigness of the sun, or if it simply close by.

That is why I mention measuring the fuzziness of the image.

Hardly scientific, hardly measurable.

You are right, one image cannot be used to figure out the distance to the Moon or the Sun.  That's why I am asking for volunteers to take photos of the Moon at the exact same time.  That way I can compare the images and no matter what the shape of the Earth is we should expect the Moon to be seen from a different angle, although the angle is expected to be very small on a round earth albeit possible to detect with a telescope.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »
If the sun is truly 92 million miles away, no resolution of photograph could give you any proper measurements using that method.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »
If the sun is truly 92 million miles away, no resolution of photograph could give you any proper measurements using that method.

That's why I am using the Moon, not the Sun.  Note how the title of this thread is "Moon observation experiment"

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 11:01:42 PM »
Expecting to find microdifferences in a moving object that's 200,000+ miles away is just as absurd.

You would have to also make sure each photo had a timestamp, resolved to 1 millionth of a nano second, or else your calculations could not be computed. Good luck with that.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 11:18:57 PM »
Expecting to find microdifferences in a moving object that's 200,000+ miles away is just as absurd.

You would have to also make sure each photo had a timestamp, resolved to 1 millionth of a nano second, or else your calculations could not be computed. Good luck with that.

The Moon's position in the sky will not be a factor here.  It will be the angle the Moon is seen from.  The pictures will be taken from different parts of the Earth which has a diameter of 8,000 miles.  Trust me, I know more about math then you.

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »
Again, you tout math as some kind of religion, yourself as its guru, recommending that I put blind faith in your ability to understand math.

Fact. The moon is a moving object.

If you want to judge parallax on a moving object...Obviously you need to know the location of the object.

How can you know the location of the object, without knowing the exact time the object was photographed?

Of course, you can't.

More sillyness, more ridiculousness from a 'round earther'.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 11:53:59 PM »
Again, you tout math as some kind of religion, yourself as its guru, recommending that I put blind faith in your ability to understand math.

Fact. The moon is a moving object.

If you want to judge parallax on a moving object...Obviously you need to know the location of the object.

How can you know the location of the object, without knowing the exact time the object was photographed?

Of course, you can't.

More sillyness, more ridiculousness from a 'round earther'.

I will know when the pictures are taken to within about a minute, and I am not trying to get measurements acurite to the exact centimeter.  I expect that I could easily be 10,000 miles or more off, but even that much accuracy can prove that Earth is round beyond reasonable doubt.