Gay marriage is now legal in the US

• 121 Replies

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
Re: Gay marriage is now legal in the US
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 05:43:07 AM »
I'm open to argument with all of this gay stuff. I personally have nothing against gay people but I do think they should be denied certain rights that hetro - sexual people are afforded.
What rights should they be denied?
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 06:08:54 AM »
Like I said, I don't care who sleeps with whom. Its not my business. But I don't think we should be calling it marriage. Call it anything else you like.
What about we call gay marriage "cool marriage" and we give them the same rights? The only problem is the name, right? Oh, and a gay friend tells me that if you can decide that, they can decide too. They want to call straight marriage "ultragay marriage". Should be fine, right?

I'm open to argument with all of this gay stuff. I personally have nothing against gay people but I do think they should be denied certain rights that hetro - sexual people are afforded.

Like what rights, and under what justification? Don't give me the "they can't reproduce" bullshit because you know that could apply as well to infertile couples and they marry just fine. Even more: gay couples can have kids, both via (EDITED BECAUSE IM A RETARD): adoption and via one of them going through assisted reproduction. Maybe, in the future we may find a way of gay couples having kids that are the genetic offspring of both of them. I wonder what will religious fascists cry about then.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:44:03 AM by Conker »
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

The Ellimist

• "Let us play a game, Crayak."
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 06:30:15 AM »
Second off, you have made a mistake by bring up the racial thing. You are assuming that I approve of interracial marriages. I don't.

Jesus man, almost nothing you say is morally justifiable!
Additionally, we cannot entirely rule out the nefarious effects of demons, spirits, gnomes, and wizards on our society's ability to comprehend our flat earth as it really is. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:38 AM »
The right to adopt children or have children by outside means, like surrogate or test tube or stuff like that. Reason: the reason is not down to their parental skills or the couple as individual capabilities. It's about a child growing up as part of a family that basically has two father's or mother's.
A child isn't asked to be born like this and it can be a massive pressure on that child as he/she grows up.

If gay people want to live together and have sex with each other, etc, then fine. I don't have any problem with that, nor do I have any problem talking with or befriending gay people.
If gay people want to get married, then fine. All marriage appears to be these days, is about an agreement to share possessions upon break up or being allowed to take ownership of all possessions in case of death.

Of course, it can be argued that church marriage is about god and such. Well that's up to each individual to decide.

Now before anyone jumps in and tells me that I'm saying gay people wouldn't make good parent's. I'm not. I happen to think that most gay couples would make excellent parents. It's just the values they try to instill into the kid/s, could become potentially hypocritical or even biased, not to mention a huge push for the child to accept it as normal, which in all fairness, it isn't normal.

The truth is, people are born in the wrong body, sort of thing. People are born with the wrong mind, as in, their mind appears to be male if female or vice versa. I accept this is a real thing and you can't expect a person to love or be attracted to the opposite sex if their minds are simply not channeled that way.

When the time comes where humans can create human life without needing opposite sex influence in any way, then it will always be abnormal. Abnormal seems like a bad choice of word because it makes it seem like I'm totally against same sex relationships and what not or that I think people like this are freaks. I don't, so anyone dealing with me; use your common sense to carefully pick through what I'm saying.

For anyone's information, I know a few gay people and have gay people as friends. They know my thoughts and I know their's.
I have no issues with any of it and would be prepared to accept what will be will be if that's the way the world run's.

Just for fun - well half serious - it's no wonder that it's come to this with women (especially) preferring the same sex, especially the way men go on. I'm a bloke but even  look at men and wonder why women stay with them. I mean the one's that act like absolute pricks, which is about half.
The pricks tend to have timid women and the timid men tend to have absolute evil bastards for women. ;D
A terrible mixture, so no wonder men and women are changing sides. It's just a shame that society is encouraging it all instead of doing something about the  way in which things are going right now.

Here's something I can be jumped on for. Maybe another topic.
It's about time the men were put back to work and the women were put back into place to do what they were born to do for the prime of their lives, which is to raise children and keep a home that is all paid for by the working man.

I'm not on about the working man being allowed to go on the piss or bring round his mates and make the woman get the beers from the fridge. I'm simply saying, bringing the kids up needs a mother's touch of soft and a father's rule of fair discipline and fun.

Conker

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 07:05:16 AM »
The right to adopt children or have children by outside means, like surrogate or test tube or stuff like that. Reason: the reason is not down to their parental skills or the couple as individual capabilities. It's about a child growing up as part of a family that basically has two father's or mother's.
A child isn't asked to be born like this and it can be a massive pressure on that child as he/she grows up.

Kids aren't asked about having a single mother or father either. In fact, they aren't asked about having a single parent neither.
Are you against single parents having kids?

Now before anyone jumps in and tells me that I'm saying gay people wouldn't make good parent's. I'm not. I happen to think that most gay couples would make excellent parents. It's just the values they try to instill into the kid/s, could become potentially hypocritical or even biased, not to mention a huge push for the child to accept it as normal, which in all fairness, it isn't normal.

What does normal mean to you? In my city, it is less normal to have an african parent than to have gay parents, so you probably don't mean statistics. You mean, then, comparing ourselves to animals? First off, I wouldn't want to compare ourselves to animals in this matter. I wouldn't want to live in a society where males form harems of slave females then dump or kill the male offspring. And not only that: homosexuality in the animal kingdom is not that uncommon, probably as uncommon as in humans in many species. There are, indeed, some primates where bisexuality is the norm. Wolves mount (or try to) defeated males as a sign of victory and domination. It is normal.

The truth is, people are born in the wrong body, sort of thing. People are born with the wrong mind, as in, their mind appears to be male if female or vice versa. I accept this is a real thing and you can't expect a person to love or be attracted to the opposite sex if their minds are simply not channeled that way.

You confuse transexuality and homosexuality. Gay people don't feel on the wrong mindset. They just prefer watching the culturists at the gym than the boobs of the soccer moms there. We still don't know why this happens, but it is clear that they don't choose it, and they do feel in the correct body. Only difference is atraction.

When the time comes where humans can create human life without needing opposite sex influence in any way, then it will always be abnormal.
I don't know what you mean with this phrase.

For anyone's information, I know a few gay people and have gay people as friends. They know my thoughts and I know their's.
I have no issues with any of it and would be prepared to accept what will be will be if that's the way the world run's.
"I can't be racist, I have black friends!". Jokes aside, since you already said you accept gay people, you don't have to repeat yourself here, we understand, you are just confusing terms and don't understand marriage in general, aparently.

Just for fun - well half serious - it's no wonder that it's come to this with women (especially) preferring the same sex, especially the way men go on. I'm a bloke but even  look at men and wonder why women stay with them. I mean the one's that act like absolute pricks, which is about half.
The pricks tend to have timid women and the timid men tend to have absolute evil bastards for women. ;D
A terrible mixture, so no wonder men and women are changing sides. It's just a shame that society is encouraging it all instead of doing something about the  way in which things are going right now.
Its nice that you said it was just a joke. People might had misunderstand that as a homophobic. Nevertheless, you now seem to think gay people choose to be gay?

Here's something I can be jumped on for. Maybe another topic.
It's about time the men were put back to work and the women were put back into place to do what they were born to do for the prime of their lives, which is to raise children and keep a home that is all paid for by the working man.
Oh, my bad. You weren't being homophobic, you were just being sexist. I don't accept the trend of third wave feminism, and I have serious concerns with the PoMo way of thinking about this issues. Even then, you come as a clear example of sexist. "I don't have anything against women, I just wish they went back to the kitchen so they can't disturb me!". Fuck off. Believe it or not, women are people too. Let them do with their lives whatever they want, just as you accept men should. Because you don't believe that males should be round up as cattle for reproduction either, don't you?

I'm not on about the working man being allowed to go on the piss or bring round his mates and make the woman get the beers from the fridge. I'm simply saying, bringing the kids up needs a mother's touch of soft and a father's rule of fair discipline and fun.
Woman soft. Man strong and fun. Man works for woman. Woman can't work, too soft. Man do work so woman can be soft. Man is discipline. Woman is soft.

Now change soft for weak on that phrase.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2015, 07:23:57 AM »
You seem to be getting mixed up with what I say, conker or choose to twist it all to make it sound bad. No problem here. You'll see what you see.
Are you gay by any chance or involved with any of this stuff in a more in depth manner? just asking.

Conker

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »
You seem to be getting mixed up with what I say, conker or choose to twist it all to make it sound bad. No problem here. You'll see what you see.
Are you gay by any chance or involved with any of this stuff in a more in depth manner? just asking.
The only twist I did clarify I was doing it for fun and said it was a joke. And no, I'm not gay. I just care about my fellow man.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »
The only twist I did clarify I was doing it for fun and said it was a joke. And no, I'm not gay. I just care about my fellow man.
Ahh ok, you wrote it for fun. Fair enough.

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 08:07:44 AM »
Yaakov doesn't seem to have a problem with homosexual marriage, per se... he has a problem with it being forced on him. He hasn't crossed into full-blown bigotry yet.

How is homosexual marriage forced on people? Are they tied down and sodomized?
They are however hit with lawsuits and/or fines if they refuse to host the ceremony or provide other services due to religious beliefs.

Conker

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
Ahh ok, you wrote it for fun. Fair enough.
Only that part. The part where I call you a sexist, for example, isn't.

Conker

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
Yaakov doesn't seem to have a problem with homosexual marriage, per se... he has a problem with it being forced on him. He hasn't crossed into full-blown bigotry yet.

They are however hit with lawsuits and/or fines if they refuse to host the ceremony or provide other services due to religious beliefs.

If a church claims to celebrate Christian marriage ceremonies, then, yeah, Christian marriage is specifically a thing between a confirmed christian man and a confirmed christian woman. However, if a bakery makes marriage cakes, and refuses to sell them to Buddhists, Muslims, and gays, then its making false advertisement.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
What arguments are there in favor of the legalization of gay marriage are there that are not also applicable to the legalization of polygamy?

Conker

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
What arguments are there in favor of the legalization of gay marriage are there that are not also applicable to the legalization of polygamy?
Will all the adults consent to a relationship between all participants? In other words, do they love each and every other of the participants, or is it the old mormon (for example, or current muslim) idea of owning x number of wifes.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
Will all the adults consent to a relationship between all participants? In other words, do they love each and every other of the participants, or is it the old mormon (for example, or current muslim) idea of owning x number of wifes.

According to gay marriage proponents, the law shouldn't stand in the way of love. If three consenting adults really want to be together, why shouldn't we let them get married, too?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:52:15 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2015, 02:14:10 PM »

If a church claims to celebrate Christian marriage ceremonies, then, yeah, Christian marriage is specifically a thing between a confirmed christian man and a confirmed christian woman. However, if a bakery makes marriage cakes, and refuses to sell them to Buddhists, Muslims, and gays, then its making false advertisement.

Gay Christians can get married. Not all Christian churches are judgmental folks.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Conker

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2015, 02:17:30 PM »

According to gay marriage proponents, the law shouldn't stand in the way of love. If three consenting adults really want to be together, why shouldn't we let them get married, too?

Nice dodging the question.

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »
My *home* church doesn't marry people who have been divorced. No divorcees are suing the church over that.

Conker

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »
My *home* church doesn't marry people who have been divorced. No divorcees are suing the church over that.
Neither are (or should) gay people. However, if a non-religious institution discriminates, well, that's another thing, isn't it?

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »
Well, there are actually some questions about whether polygamy will become legal. I think this has opened a floodgate. First, gays. Next polygamy. After that, your cat. when will it stop?

Conker

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
Well, there are actually some questions about whether polygamy will become legal. I think this has opened a floodgate. First, gays. Next polygamy. After that, your cat. when will it stop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »
Exactly. But some legal scholars are actually concerned about this sort of thing happening, especially with all the Muslims in the USA, given that they do allow up to four wives in their belief structure.

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
I'm not gay but I will say, gay people will gladly turn away from doing business with a church or wedding planning company that does not want to do a gay wedding. They will not sue, despite what so many "traditional marriage" people are saying. The reason I can say they will not sue is because I know for a fact that they are open-minded.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »

Exactly.. That's the way humans work. OMG the humanity!!

Conker

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »
Exactly. But some legal scholars are actually concerned about this sort of thing happening, especially with all the Muslims in the USA, given that they do allow up to four wives in their belief structure.

I was pointing up to Slippery slope to mock your non-argument. You have no reason to believe that just because they allowed x, now they will allow all sort of things, even if those who asked for x do not want other things to be allowed. You set up no connection nor any following. Nothing but feelings. Sorry if this offends your religiously intolerant worldview, but I simply do not care about where your feelings think that the slope will lead us. I care about people having equal rights. There is no reason for gay people not to have those rights. When the debate opens for other situations, I will consider it, and yay or nay accordingly. Those situations aren't being debated and therefore are not relevant. When and if they become relevant, open another thread, and we will discuss them. Until them, your opposition to gay marriage should be based on gay marriage alone.

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
Conker, as a foreigner, you DO NOT understand the American social construct at all. If this were pretty much any place else, I might actually agree with you. But we live in the land of fruits and nuts. I bet you've never heard of NAMBLA. Google it sometime. If it can be done, no matter how fucked up, SOMEBODY will want to make it legal.

Usually, Slippery Slope IS a fallacy. But in this most fucked up of countries, its not. Until such time as you've actually LIVED in the USA, and understand the social and political construct far better than you obviously do (even if you did live here briefly, that wouldn't count; you would need a couple of decades as an adult, and a degree, preferably advanced), you really ought to shut your fucking cake-hole, and cease making an ass of yourself.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2015, 07:22:12 PM »

I was pointing up to Slippery slope to mock your non-argument. You have no reason to believe that just because they allowed x, now they will allow all sort of things, even if those who asked for x do not want other things to be allowed. You set up no connection nor any following. Nothing but feelings. Sorry if this offends your religiously intolerant worldview, but I simply do not care about where your feelings think that the slope will lead us. I care about people having equal rights. There is no reason for gay people not to have those rights. When the debate opens for other situations, I will consider it, and yay or nay accordingly. Those situations aren't being debated and therefore are not relevant. When and if they become relevant, open another thread, and we will discuss them. Until them, your opposition to gay marriage should be based on gay marriage alone.

Of course polygamy is relevant. In human history polygamy has been far more common than socially recognized homosexual unions. If gays are allowed to marry, it follows therefore, that polygamy should be allowed as well. Why should the federal government stand in the way of three consenting adults who want to be together?

The point is that there are no arguments for gay marriage that cannot also be applied to polygamy. We should allow gays to marry because it is "fair" and "right", and the government should not decide who should be together, while simultaneously turning our backs on the more historically common and socially acceptable polygamists. That is hippocracy.

What makes gays so special as to get special treatment under the law?

Maybe I have been successful in life and can support three or four women. Taking them in would be more beneficial to society than if I could only be with one woman. They would benefit much more being with me than if they were paired off with an lesser man. And if  my wives had children, my children would grow up into future tax payers, and continue to benefit society by producing tax payers of their own. What benefits does gay marriage bring to society that trumps this?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:42:34 PM by Tom Bishop »

Conker

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2015, 07:30:11 PM »
Joke's on you, I have heard of NAMBLA. I do not support it, neither does most of the people I hear supporting gay marriage. Since you haven't set up why would people start thinking about pedophilia as an acceptable sexual preference (im talking about preferences being accomplished. As i said before, pedophilia without the act of child molestation is not illegal or inmoral) if gay marriage is accepted. You don't think we have that kind of idiots back here? We do just as much as you do, but all cameras are to busy at Nova Rome checking the anus of the Emperor to notice that kind of shit on our country. Add another fallacy to your list: Ad Hominem. Just because I dont live in the US doesnt mean I dont know about it. I'll give you one piece of info that might surprise you: I find it easier to think about many subjects such as sciences and politics in English than I do on my native language

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »
Again, unless you've lived here for a good thirty years, with the innate mind of an American, you really can't hope to comprehend our social construct. Even I, having been born and raised here, and living here most of my life (except some time in Central America), and being completely non-Observant (in fact, all my religious experience was Goy up until 11 years ago, and my wife is not a Jew), am still a little separate by virtue of being a Jew. But you cannot hope to get it. At all. And its not an ad hominem when its true.

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2015, 07:54:20 PM »
Austria is smart when they require you to live there for 30 years before asking for citizenship. In the case of EU citizens, that may be waived, but it is required of other countries, and rightly so.

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »

Of course polygamy is relevant. In human history polygamy has been far more common than socially recognized homosexual unions. If gays are allowed to marry, it follows therefore, that polygamy should be allowed as well. Why should the federal government stand in the way of three consenting adults who want to be together?

The point is that there are no arguments for gay marriage that cannot also be applied to polygamy. We should allow gays to marry because it is "fair" and "right", and the government should not decide who should be together, while simultaneously turning our backs on the more historically common and socially acceptable polygamists. That is hippocracy.

What makes gays so special as to get special treatment under the law?

Maybe I have been successful in life and can support three or four women. Taking them in would be more beneficial to society than if I could only be with one woman. They would benefit much more being with me than if they were paired off with an lesser man. And if  my wives had children, my children would grow up into future tax payers, and continue to benefit society by producing tax payers of their own. What benefits does gay marriage bring to society that trumps this?

How about not overpopulating the Earth, adopting kids that would otherwise go from foster home to foster home, not raising kids to believe the world is flat and the government and NASA is a great big conspiracy, not popping out so many kids that your family depends on many welfare programs, open-minded, well-educated, and not subjecting multiple women to the sexual advances and bigotry of Tom Bishop.