Drain swirl direction shifts depending on hemisphere - watch the whole video.

• 19 Replies
?

antonindvorak

• All are bound to the laws of logic.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

You have to synchronize it with this video to make sense:

Just watch the first few seconds and they explain how to do that.

Then, watch the entire video.

Then you can admit you were wrong about a flat Earth and go home with some amount of dignity.
The devolution of man's intelligence is proof that we are not evolving.

Then you can admit you were wrong about a flat Earth and go home with some amount of dignity.
500 years of deception and little liars like you won't disappear after one video.

?

antonindvorak

500 years of deception and little liars like you won't disappear after one video.

Did you even watch the video, you poor unfortunate soul?

i saw what i need and i know people are lying without end.

?

antonindvorak

i saw what i need and i know people are lying without end.

You also deflected without answering the question.

Did you or did you not witness the portion of the video where the pool of water on one hemisphere drains in the opposite direction of that in the other hemisphere?

EDIT - Talk about people who aren't open minded...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:04:29 PM by antonindvorak »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Did you or did you not witness the portion of the video where the pool of water on one hemisphere drains in the opposite direction of that in the other hemisphere?
Do you honestly think that earth rotating once per day can possibly provide enough force to influence a toilet flush?  It's far more likely that the toilet manufacturers build in the swirl direction at the factory.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

antonindvorak

Do you honestly think that earth rotating once per day can possibly provide enough force to influence a toilet flush?  It's far more likely that the toilet manufacturers build in the swirl direction at the factory.

You also didn't watch the video entirely!

They say early on that the hemisphere you're in does not affect a toilet flush! They later use two still baby pools full of water on either hemisphere, and drain them without disturbing the pool, and they conclude that the force is small, but it still is there.

My goodness, no one listened when I said watch the video entirely.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
That's because most of us that have been here for a while already know that Coriolis is too weak to influence how water drains.

?

antonindvorak

That's because most of us that have been here for a while already know that Coriolis is too weak to influence how water drains.

Must I insult your intelligence by repeating myself?

In a toilet, a sink, or a bathtub, yes, you are correct, and I as well as the individuals in the video agree with you.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones

In a toilet, a sink, or a bathtub, yes, you are correct, and I as well as the individuals in the video agree with you.
I'm just saying that your video isn't really telling anyone anything that we didn't already know.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
The drain rotation myth has been debunked so many times.  I wish the roundies would come up with new material. http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.

"I really hope this works"

Sounds like sound, unbiased experimentation, combined with high confidence in his experimental technique. I'm convinced.

Some of the footage of the draining with the food colouring was rather captivating, actually. I wish I had spent eight minutes watching that instead of all the chatter.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Mikey T.

While your snopes post is somewhat valid, the use of the pool was to increase the size and therefore amplify the Coriolis force on the water (meaning increasing the size of the diameter of the pool allows for more difference in the force felt from one side of the pool vs the other. 
But from the snopes page here is a morsel.
Q: I've been told that water goes down a sink in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere and in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. Is that true?

A: No! The origin of this myth comes from applying a scientific principle to a situation where it does not fit. The Coriolis deflection causes cyclonic systems to rotate counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. It was inevitable that someone would suggest (without checking) that a sink should drain in a similar manner.

However, a cyclone is more than 1000 kilometers in diameter and may exist for several days. By contrast, a typical sink is less than a meter in diameter and drains in a matter of seconds. On this scale, the Coriolis force is miniscule. Therefore, the shape of the sink and how level it is has more to do with the direction of water flow than the Coriolis force.
Notice how it does not say that the Coriolis force has no effect on the sink, just a very miniscule one which is usually overpowered by the shape of the sink or bowl.  The larger the diameter of the body of fluid or air, the more Coriolis force is imparted on it.

The drain rotation myth has been debunked so many times.  I wish the roundies would come up with new material. http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp
Great link, glad you have come to your senses:

Because the Earth is a globe spinning on an invisible axis, a point at its equator will make a circuit of 25,000 miles in the space of a day, but any point not on the equator will make a shorter round trip; the closer that point is to either of the poles, the shorter its trip will be. Put another way, a pencil at the equator travels 1,030 miles an hour, whereas another at Sarasota, Florida, moves at 930 miles per hour, and one at the North pole doesn't move at all.

This apparent difference in speed results in the Coriolis force, an effect that imparts a twist to largish events happening away from the equator. Best known is its effect on air masses: as they move away from the equator, their speed (which matches that of where they started from) appears to be faster than that of the surface over which they are traveling.

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Just thought I'd put in my two sense. I hear the Coriolis effect used as evidence of a spinning earth. I thought the Coriolis effect was related to magnetism but a globe with a north pole at the top shouldn't change the direction of clouds and spirals in the south. It must be related to something else. Modern science admits that the earth is "pear shaped" or has more mass on the bottom, despite relatively little exposed land mass. Perhaps the effect is more dependent on contour of the earth such as in this model:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map.jpg
not all toilets or tornadoes spin in that direction, the same as the flow of rivers go one way as opposed to the other, but many seem to prefer one way. The cloud rotation I think has more to do with heat and again the contour of the land.

I don't believe the earth could be spinning regardless if it were flat or round. the idea that it's spins faster at the poles than at the equator in a sphere is what for me proves that it is either not spinning or both flat and fixed. How could someone whose body was used to going 1,000 mph since the day they were born take a trip south or north without having the change in speed wreck havoc on their insides? If less g force makes astronauts weaker, does that mean people toward the poles are stronger than those at the equator? Wouldn't the increase in force from traveling from the pole to the equator make pilots pass out? I could go on, but I digress.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:51:55 AM by shilohbirch »

I hear the Coriolis effect used as evidence of a spinning earth.

You hear correctly.

I thought the Coriolis effect was related to magnetism

Nope. That's wrong.

but a globe with a north pole at the top shouldn't change the direction of clouds and spirals in the south. It must be related to something else.

Nope. It has two poles. A ballistic object traveling from the equator toward either pole will be deflected in the same direction the globe is rotating (east, in the case of the Earth). That's rightward if you're north of the Equator moving north and leftward if you're south of the Equator moving south. Similarly, a ballistic object moving toward the equator will be deflected opposite the direction of rotation, but still to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern. Since the deflections have opposite "handedness", large air circulation patterns have opposite rotations in these two hemispheres.

Modern science admits that the earth is "pear shaped" or has more mass on the bottom, despite relatively little exposed land mass. Perhaps the effect is more dependent on contour of the earth such as in this model:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map.jpg

The difference between the geoid (actual shape of the Earth) and the best-fit ellipsoid is a few dozen meters or less. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoid#/media/File:Geoid_height_red_blue_averagebw.png. This variation is primarily due to irregularities in density within the Earth. Keep in mind that the diameter of the earth is more than 12.7 million meters, so the extremes are about 1 part in about 120,000 (0.0008%).

not all toilets or tornadoes spin in that direction, the same as the flow of rivers go one way as opposed to the other, but many seem to prefer one way.

Toilets, yes. Tornados? Citation needed.

Rivers prefer to flow downhill, regardless the direction that is.

The cloud rotation I think has more to do with heat and again the contour of the land.

Large-scale air circulation patterns are always the same in each hemisphere. The Coriolis effect becomes significant at large scales (like storms the size of hurricanes), so it's harder to overcome.

I don't believe the earth could be spinning regardless if it were flat or round.

Believe what you want. It has no effect on reality. Conversely, reality should have an effect on what you believe, but if it doesn't, that's your problem.

the idea that it's spins faster at the poles than at the equator in a sphere is what for me proves that it is either not spinning or both flat and fixed.

Where did you get the idea that it spins faster at the poles than at the equator? That's simply wrong, so any conclusions drawn from it are meaningless.

How could someone whose body was used to going 1,000 mph since the day they were born take a trip south or north without having the change in speed wreck havoc on their insides?

You don't feel velocity, you feel acceleration. If you slow from 1000 mi/hr to zero you may not even notice, if it's gradual enough.

If less g force makes astronauts weaker, does that mean people toward the poles are stronger than those at the equator? Wouldn't the increase in force from traveling from the pole to the equator make pilots pass out?

How much is the change in net acceleration of gravity between the Equator and either pole. This has been calculated numerous times here. Unless you know, at least in general, how big the change is [Hint: it ain't much], drawing conclusions about effects it will have is only idle speculation.

I could go on, but I digress.

You haven't brought anything to the table that hasn't already been discussed.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

Have you ever considered that maybe the Earth is actually round?

Also, do you think that 90% of the worlds population is in on the conspiracy or something?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Also, do you think that 90% of the worlds population is in on the conspiracy or something?
I have considered many many many times and I was sure about evolution and even didn't mind if the earth could be flat, but the I met people like you who make me suspicious.
The number of people involve of conspiracy is could be like 50% of the world population, I hope not more because the conspiracy won't get out if there were more.
people are happy with the conspiracy they get loads of money and they shut the mouth as it were true.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

I have considered many many many times and I was sure about evolution and even didn't mind if the earth could be flat, but the I met people like you who make me suspicious.
The number of people involve of conspiracy is could be like 50% of the world population, I hope not more because the conspiracy won't get out if there were more.
people are happy with the conspiracy they get loads of money and they shut the mouth as it were true.

Do you seriously think that 50% of the world's population could be bought?  Not everyone would keep their mouth shut after receiving money, or even if their life is threatened.  If so many people were being payed by the government then accountants like my dad would have to be in on the conspiracy and hiding everyone's mysterious incomes.

That theory has another huge flaw.  If 50% if the world's population were in on the conspiracy and being payed off by the government a sum of money equal to that of an average job then that would mean that at least 90% of all tax payer dollars would have to be devoted to paying people, and that's assuming that the people being payed also have a job and pay taxes.  If the government just printed money to hand out then that would crash the economy, and clearly tax payer dollars are doing things like making roads, running the military, and all that stuff.

Even if they could somehow manage the expenses, many people including people like me would not keep quiet.  The world knowing the truth is more important then a bit of extra money.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Poko

I'm just saying that your video isn't really telling anyone anything that we didn't already know.

Ok, it's obvious that you didn't actually watch the videos. The videos are not about toilets flushing. They fill two kiddie pools with water, one in Sydney, and one in Alabama. They leave the pools to settle so that there is no angular momentum in the water, and drain them in a way that does not disturb the water. Then they add food dye to the water to see which way the water is draining. You can clearly see that the water in the Alabama pool is draining counter-clockwise and the water in the Sydney pool is draining clockwise. It has nothing to do with toilets flushing, which you would have known if you actually watched the videos.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:43:09 PM by Poko »
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi