HF radio communications beyond LOS and the horizon

• 36 Replies
HF radio communications beyond LOS and the horizon
« on: June 22, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
Greetings.

In my day to day job I am able to commuicate with distant radio stations beyond the horizon and out of line of sight using ground wave propagation. Wave propagation theory suggests that radio waves follow the ground and the curvature of the earth, ie the signal I am transmitting is curving around the earth to reach distant stations beyond line of sight.

Obviously this does not fit FET. Discuss.

Note I know you can transmit to stations thousands of KMs away using sky waves also, but I am talking specifically about ground waves.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
Re: HF radio communications beyond LOS and the horizon
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:35:03 AM »
Ground wave and Sky wave propagation both prove the earth is FLAT because how can a radio wave travel past the horizon if the earth is a Ball? It would just go off into space....

The ionosphere is really the Firmament, made of a Mirror-like Metal, which is why it behaves like it does.

Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

Yendor

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:13 AM »
 pRophet,

I don't know how high the antennas are, but i would think ground waves would propagate better on a flat Earth then a round one.

Yendor
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »
Ground wave and Sky wave propagation both prove the earth is FLAT because how can a radio wave travel past the horizon if the earth is a Ball? It would just go off into space....

The ionosphere is really the Firmament, made of a Mirror-like Metal, which is why it behaves like it does.

Experiment you can do to prove waveforms follow curved topography and do not travel in straight lines:

1. Fill a bowl with water

2. Place a floating object (a ball of some sort would be most suitable) in the bowl

3. Tap the surface of the water to create ripples.

4. Observe what happens to the ripples when they reach the floating object. Does the object block the ripples or do they go around it?

Similarly ground waves follow undulations in the ground, and on a larger scale, the curvature of the earth.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »

Visual representation of the effect I previously described.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »
So, let me get this straight.  You can communicate farther than RET predicts, and your BS scientists came up with a BS answer why this is, and somehow you are trying to make the claim that this is proof for a round Earth?  Would the simplest answer not be that there is no curve and that the waves are simply moving in a straight line?  Perhaps you would believe it if a scientists told you that Santa is real too?

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
How does that make no sense to you?
Let me explain it for you. Radio waves extend from a point in a circle, not a straight line. A portion of a circle is a curved line, as that diagram represents.
You fail to grasp such a simple concept, jroa. This is elementary school stuff.

I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »
How does that make no sense to you?
Let me explain it for you. Radio waves extend from a point in a circle, not a straight line. A portion of a circle is a curved line, as that diagram represents.
You fail to grasp such a simple concept, jroa. This is elementary school stuff.

What about any of that would not work on a flat Earth?  ::)

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 06:17:17 PM »
So, let me get this straight.  You can communicate farther than RET predicts,

Not sure where you got that idea from. RET predicts I can communicate as far as I can communicate. That's what I'm saying... In the FET model I would be able to transmit at shorter distances than what I can now.

I'm not even getting into solar activity and how that effects radio communications. Have yet to hear any FET explanation as to how frequency degradation differing at different locations on the earth works with a flat earth.

and your BS scientists came up with a BS answer why this is, and somehow you are trying to make the claim that this is proof for a round Earth?  Would the simplest answer not be that there is no curve and that the waves are simply moving in a straight line?  Perhaps you would believe it if a scientists told you that Santa is real too?

Do the below to prove waveforms do not travel in straight lines:

1. Fill a bowl with water

2. Place a floating object (a ball of some sort would be most suitable) in the bowl

3. Tap the surface of the water to create ripples.

4. Observe what happens to the ripples when they reach the floating object. Does the object block the ripples or do they go around it?

You can also reproduce the above results at home using water. Again radio waves do not behave like a straight line. There is a reason they are called radio waves.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 07:18:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum pRophet.  I see you have met the flat earthers, if you want to understand how truly thick skulked they are just take a look at the links in my forum signature and realize that after seeing that some people walked away thinking that Earth was flat.  If you really want to see flat earthers backed into a corner I suggest you bring up the fact that sunsets are impossible on a flat Earth.  That's always a fun one.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:34 PM »
Please, this is circular reasoning at its finest.  In other words, you are saying that, "If the world is round, then the only explaination for my radio waves to curve around the world is that the world is round."  ::)  Please, come back when you actually have something that proves the shape of the Earth.  Or, please explain to us why your radio signal would not propagate on a flat Earth.  I am getting tiered of the same old round Earth fallacies and you roundies demanding explanations. 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »

You are still holding on to that model which can't explain time zones I see.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 02:59:42 AM »
In other words, this whole thread can be summed up with, "emf waves spread out as they travel and this cannot happen on a flat Earth."  I fail to see the logic in that claim.  Someone, please explain to us dumb flat Earthers why waves would not spread out on a flat plane. 

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 04:05:35 AM »
I agree that ground wave would work on a round earth or a flat earth, however, sky wave only makes sense on a round earth.
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 04:43:18 AM »
In other words, this whole thread can be summed up with, "emf waves spread out as they travel and this cannot happen on a flat Earth."  I fail to see the logic in that claim.  Someone, please explain to us dumb flat Earthers why waves would not spread out on a flat plane.
Have you provided the details about satellite dish installation requested elsewhere?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
Have you provided the details about satellite dish installation requested elsewhere?
Have you ever thought about staying on topic and not derailing threads?  Consider this your final warning. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
I agree that ground wave would work on a round earth or a flat earth, however, sky wave only makes sense on a round earth.

Please, enlighten us all on how sky waves can not work if the Earth is flat. 

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »

they actually work because earth is flat.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »

Then why do things like radar have such a limited range?

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »

Mormon knows , ask him. whatever why they have limited range it has nothing to do with round earth.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 03:45:08 PM »
Mormon knows , ask him. whatever why they have limited range it has nothing to do with round earth.

Then why does the range increase with altitude in a way that's expected on a round Earth?

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 03:49:40 PM »

Then why does the range increase with altitude in a way that's expected on a round Earth?
Because you don't see the curvature when you increase your altitude.
I can't answer your assumptions and I know there is a rational answer to all of your question without being depends of round earth.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
Because you don't see the curvature when you increase your altitude.

Wrong:

That also didn't answer my question.

I can't answer your assumptions and I know there is a rational answer to all of your question without being depends of round earth.

You can see further as you get higher up and at the same time radar has further range.  That's why radars are always on top of tall towers.  This supports round Earth.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 05:48:06 PM »

The whole point of the OP was that radio waves following the curvature or the Earth is proof that it is round.  Now, you make the claim that radio waves not following the curvature of the Earth is proof that it is round.  You roundies contradict yourselves all the time.   

By the way, boy genius, have you ever heard of over the horizon radar?  ::)

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 06:13:50 PM »

The whole point of the OP was that radio waves following the curvature or the Earth is proof that it is round.  Now, you make the claim that radio waves not following the curvature of the Earth is proof that it is round.  You roundies contradict yourselves all the time.   

It all depends on the characteristics of the frequency/wavelength of the radar system.
Different frequencies/wavelengths are used .
Some frequencies/wavelengths are used for line of sight and are  limited by the distance to the horizon.
Other frequencies/wavelengths are used for over the horizon radar.

Another proof of the curvature of the earth is.:
Why have crow's nests on ships placed on masts that are  higher than the bridge ? If the earth was flat why would you need crow's nests on ships if it wasn't necessary to see farther the higher you go ?....Because of the curvature of the earth ?

There is a simple formula to determine the distance to the horizon dependent on the height of the observer. It is a proven fact. On a flat earth the horizon would always be at an infinite distance.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 06:19:41 PM »

It all depends on the characteristics of the frequency/wavelength of the radar system.
Different frequencies/wavelengths are used .
Some frequencies/wavelengths are used for line of sight and are  limited by the distance to the horizon.
Other frequencies/wavelengths are used for over the horizon radar.

Another proof of the curvature of the earth is.:
Why have crow's nests on ships placed on masts that are  higher than the bridge ? If the earth was flat why would you need crow's nests on ships if it wasn't necessary to see farther the higher you go ?....Because of the curvature of the earth ?

There is a simple formula to determine the distance to the horizon dependent on the height of the observer. It is a proven fact. On a flat earth the horizon would always be at an infinite distance.

Why are you quoting me?  I am not the one making erroneous claims, like Mikeman does so often. 

Oh, and by the way, in the crows nest, you can see over higher waves.  Bam throws down the mike.  Lol jk

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
The truth of the matter is simply that earth is a globe and not a disc. There is no doubt about that.
The curvature of the earth has to be taken into account to determine the distance to the horizon that the lookout in the crow's nest can see . Same thing for the range of the radar. That is a well known fact.

Of course that is how it is in the real world but you have to realize that after all this is The Flat Earth Society.

Show me any Navy or any activity connected with oceanic navigation that uses maps based on the so-called flat earth map of the entire earth. One school of thought is that there is no flat earth map. One other is the claim that the Azimuthal Equidistant Projection of the globe is the flat earth map. Both are false representations and no way usable in the real world.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:50:27 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »

OTH radar uses HF. The premise is that HF follows the curvature of the Earth (did you happen to notice the title of the topic?) so it can work beyond line of sight (LOS), which means over the horizon (OTH). Shorter wavelengths, like conventional radar, doesn't.

Aren't you the one who says he's an expert on RF communications because you have military training and degrees 'n' stuff? It's one thing to claim expertise - that's really easy to do. You'd help your cred if you actually made comments that demonstrate that you know anything about it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »

When did I say that the radar's range cut out at the horizon line?  This effect of waves bending around Earth's curvature can only go so far and it does still increase range to make the radar higher off the ground.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 09:47:17 PM »
Have you ever thought about staying on topic and not derailing threads?  Consider this your final warning.
(just a reminder for you)