LightSail... let me guess.. Its controlled by the goverment too..

• 29 Replies

Stufferus

• Roundearthers are NOT living a freakin' lie...
So.. There is cool Kickstarter project called LightSail (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theplanetarysociety/lightsail-a-revolutionary-solar-sailing-spacecraft) .... "Light has momentum blablabla" i dont want to talk about how this LightSail thingy works, lets just say its another spacecraft... So basicly. The guys behind this project are not in partnership with the goverment , they're independent... And recently they showed some fotage of their sail flying in our orbit...
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">  ... what do you thing after taking a look at their kickstarter page and the video... another fake... i am not an flat earther...

As many other Roundearthers, just here for fun.

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
Re: LightSail... let me guess.. Its controlled by the goverment too..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »
While your grammar is terrible, yes, this seems to be another for the conspiracy, then. Must cost a lot for the goverment, eh, FE'rs? Where does it all come from?
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Stufferus

• Roundearthers are NOT living a freakin' lie...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »
common... my englis is not thaaaat bad... just too lazy to type some words...

and common... THIS PROJECT IS REAL... There is no freakin reason to fake st like this.

As many other Roundearthers, just here for fun.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
Looks like a great scam to make money.  I wish I would have thought of the scam first. 

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
So.. There is cool Kickstarter project called LightSail  ....
"Light has momentum blablabla" i dont want to talk about how this LightSail thingy works, lets just say its another spacecraft... So basicly. The guys behind this project are not in partnership with the goverment , they're independent...

Did you bother to actually read your link?

Quote from: link
This flight is sponsored by NASA’s Educational Launch of Nanosatellites (ELaNa) program

:-\

Edit: Seems entirely likely that a sail could catch aetheric wind. Could be quite fascinating, actually. I look forward to learning more.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 07:59:44 PM »
A little more research leads me to further disappointment:

Doug Stetson --
Quote from: bio
Doug Stetson is a consultant for the space science community, specializing in innovative mission and system concepts, strategic planning, decision analysis, proposal development, and university and industry partnerships. He is the founder and president of the Space Science and Exploration Consulting Group, a network of senior advisors and experienced individuals drawn from NASA,national labs, industry, and universities. Prior to becoming a consultant, Doug spent 25 years at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in a variety of technical and management positions, including several assignments at NASA Headquarters. At JPL, he was most recently the manager of the Solar System Mission Formulation Office, responsible for development of all new planetary mission and technology strategies and programs. He led the development of a number of mission and technology “roadmaps”, working with the national science community and NASA leadership, and established new initiatives for mission and system innovation and cost assessment. Earlier in his career, Doug played key roles in the design and development of several major planetary missions, including Cassini and Galileo, and was the leader of many planetary advanced studies and proposals. During his three tours at NASA Headquarters, Doug was the deputy manager of the NASA Advanced Planning and Integration Office in 2004, coordinated development of the Agency’s 2003 Strategic Plan, and served as chief of Planetary Advanced Studies as a detailee in the early 1990’s

Rex Ridenoure
Quote from: bio
He worked at JPL for 11 years as a mission and systems engineer, holding lead engineering roles on the pioneering, ion-propelled Deep Space One project, the New Millennium Program of advanced spacecraft, the Lunar Observer pre-project, the Voyager Neptune encounter, and the ultra-low-cost Caltech/JPL SURFSAT project.   Also at JPL, Rex managed several initiatives addressing low-cost deep-space missions using microspacecraft.

Rex was co-recipient of the 2002 AIAA Space Systems Award for key contributions to the NASA/JPL New Millennium Deep Space One mission.

That's just the first two names on the "Key members" list. Don't have time to continue. Looks like another scheme to pilfer money from the public.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
Looks like a good project,   I don't see that NASA has any control over the project,  or in fact anything much to do with it?    The whole thing is self funded by the non-profit planetary society.    http://sail.planetary.org/

The spacecraft is being built by Georgia Tech,  and Cal Poly,  and launched on a SpaceX Falcon9.   

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 06:01:09 AM »
Looks like a good project,   I don't see that NASA has any control over the project,  or in fact anything much to do with it?    The whole thing is self funded by the non-profit planetary society.    http://sail.planetary.org/

The spacecraft is being built by Georgia Tech,  and Cal Poly,  and launched on a SpaceX Falcon9.   

Georgia Tech, Cal Poly, and SpaceX are all government funded.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »

Georgia Tech, Cal Poly, and SpaceX are all government funded.

This project is a kickstarter project,   not government funded at all.

You can donate here  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theplanetarysociety/lightsail-a-revolutionary-solar-sailing-spacecraft

I see they needed to raise $200,000,  and have  already got over  $900,000   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:19:46 AM by Rayzor »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 06:49:48 AM »

This flight is sponsored by NASA’s Educational Launch of Nanosatellites (ELaNa) program

:-[

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 07:19:08 AM »

What's your point?    You don't understand the difference between sponsored and funded?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »

What's your point?    You don't understand the difference between sponsored and funded?

The sponsor is funded by the government.  I think it is you who is confused. 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »
The sponsor is funded by the government.  I think it is you who is confused.

This project is NOT Government funded.   I can't say it any clearer than that.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 09:38:30 AM »
spon·sor
verb
1. provide funds for (a project or activity or the person carrying it out).
"Joe is being sponsored by his church"
synonyms:   finance, put up the money for, fund, subsidize, back, promote, support, contribute to, be a patron of, guarantee, underwrite;

Repeating a false claim over and over again does not make it true. Your own link cites government funding. I don't know what you're on about.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 09:48:38 AM »

In my country there are always even in media huge bunch of corrupted people, you see you have to believe the people in the conspiracy that show you, you have to fear something lays behind.

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
spon·sor
verb
1. provide funds for (a project or activity or the person carrying it out).
"Joe is being sponsored by his church"
synonyms:   finance, put up the money for, fund, subsidize, back, promote, support, contribute to, be a patron of, guarantee, underwrite;

Repeating a false claim over and over again does not make it true. Your own link cites government funding. I don't know what you're on about.
Your definition seems excessively narrow. Did you make it up yourself? If not, would you mind citing the source?

Here's another definition (note the first two meanings listed here):

sponsor 
Also found in: Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
spon·sor  (spŏn′sər)
n.
1. One who assumes responsibility for another person or a group during a period of instruction, apprenticeship, or probation.
2. One who vouches for the suitability of a candidate for admission, as to an organization.
3. A legislator who proposes and urges adoption of a bill.
4. Christianity One who presents a candidate for baptism or confirmation; a godparent.
5. One that finances a project, event, or organization directed by another person or group, such as a business enterprise that pays for radio or television programming in return for advertising time.

tr.v. spon·sored, spon·sor·ing, spon·sors
To act as a sponsor for.

(Others at this link follow; one even lists the commercial meaning first; none list it as the only meaning)

And another (the first meaning is similar to the first one above; the commercial meaning has been elevated to number two here) ...

sponsor
[spon-ser]
IPA Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
noun
1. a person who vouches or is responsible for a person or thing.
2. a person, firm, organization, etc., that finances and buys the time to broadcast a radio or television program so as to advertise a product, a political party, etc.
3. a person who makes a pledge or promise on behalf of another.
4. a person who answers for an infant at baptism, making the required professions and assuming responsibility for the child's religious upbringing; godfather or godmother.

verb (used with object)
5. to act as sponsor for; promise, vouch, or answer for.

"Repeating a false claim over and over again does not make it true." Indeed.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
It's sometimes difficult to tell whether you globularists are being deliberately obtuse or not.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2015/05/20/nasa-pays-launch-planetary-societys-lightsail/

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »

Over 18,000 people and  $900,000 says you don't know what you are talking about.   
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theplanetarysociety/lightsail-a-revolutionary-solar-sailing-spacecraft

Getting NASA to pay for the launch is a good thing.  They were going up there anyway,  so why not hitch a free ride.   

Back in the 1970's I was involved with amateur satellites,  and there was one that was designed to be the same shape and weight as a packing ring, so we got a free ride into orbit.   
If you want to know more look up  AMSAT OSCAR   http://www.amsat.org/

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 09:40:36 PM »
You just told me they didn't get any government funding, and now you're telling me NASA paid for the launch. Make up your mind.

I already read your link. Better than you did, apparently. They've bilked the public for an additional million dollars, plus tax money. Good for them.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 09:45:49 PM »
You just told me they didn't get any government funding, and now you're telling me NASA paid for the launch. Make up your mind.

I already read your link. Better than you did, apparently. They've bilked the public for an additional million dollars, plus tax money. Good for them.

Getting a free ride into orbit  for a piece of hardware that you built yourself isn't government funding.   NASA is paying SpaceX for the Launch not the planetary society,  SpaceX is allowing the light sail satellite to go along for the ride,  what's so hard to understand about that.   Are you just being contrary for the sake of it, or do you actually have some intelligent contribution to make.

Bilked? 

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
So NASA is paying bills on behalf of the Planetary Society. You don't consider that a sort of funding? The Planetary Society is run/founded by a bunch of guys who used to work at NASA/JPL.  What a coincidence!

The guys behind this project are not in partnership with the goverment , they're independent

I'm convinced...

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »
So NASA is paying bills on behalf of the Planetary Society. You don't consider that a sort of funding? The Planetary Society is run/founded by a bunch of guys who used to work at NASA/JPL.  What a coincidence!

The guys behind this project are not in partnership with the goverment , they're independent

I'm convinced...

Repeating a false claim over and over again does not make it true. 

The satellite is demonstrably funded by private contributions.   Why should you care who pays for it?  You probably don't believe it will get launched, and I daresay, that even after it's launched and sailing, you will claim it's all faked,  so,  unless you have an open mind your opinion counts for nothing.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 01:04:49 AM »
"Hmmmm interesting, where can I find a flaw.... maybe th-NASA was involved?! NASA!?!?! Instant debunk."

Everyone knows NASA is the devil OP. LightSail is obviously a fraud because I heard someone murmur NASA in the room next door, and NASA is the omnipotent satan. Therefore LightSail is not real.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »
Well when you say things like "let me guess.. Its[sic] controlled by the goverment[sic] too.." and "The guys behind this project are not in partnership with the goverment [sic] , they're independent",  then I'd try to pick a project that is actually not partially funded by, or in partnership with, the "goverment" as my example. Just me.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 08:28:17 PM »
So many government funded projects. I guess you have to spend money to use a conspiracy to make money. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 09:32:29 PM »
Well when you say things like "let me guess.. Its[sic] controlled by the goverment[sic] too.." and "The guys behind this project are not in partnership with the goverment [sic] , they're independent",  then I'd try to pick a project that is actually not partially funded by, or in partnership with, the "goverment" as my example. Just me.

Yeah we know how much you distrust the government, we can see the glare from your tinfoil hat from here.
Now bring something solid to the table, instead of "b-b-but government funding!!".

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »

Are you so constrained by your conspiracy mindset that you can't even conceive that there could be such a thing as a privately funded space project.   That sort of limitation on thinking must make it difficult to function normally in the real world.

I'm curious as to what you think.

Do you see spies and conspiracies lurking around every corner?   
Are we secretly being controlled by a Nazi Masonic secret society like Eric Dubay thinks?
Is there any evidence for such a conspiracy?
What would be the purpose of a conspiracy to hide the shape of the world, when it's so easily proven to be round?

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 03:17:01 AM »
Meh, The Conspiracy is nothing more than a secular version of the God of Gaps fallacy.

Anything they can't explain*: then blame The Conspiracy.

*which is lots
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 04:46:45 PM »
So now prove a conspiracy. A conspiracy may have a motive, hide space travel, if you were to prove it isn't possible.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 03:57:56 AM »
Obviously the definition of Government Funded for the FE'ers is this:
Joe runs a taxi company. NASA decide to take out a long term contract with Joe's Taxis to take their staff every day between where they live, and Kennedy Space Center. Other people unrelated to NASA continue to use Joe's Taxis as they always did. However, Joe's Taxis now counts as Government Funded and is therefore automatically under suspicion and part of a conspiracy.
Seriously, that's the logic in use in this thread about SpaceX.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.