Poll

Who has read/is reading Don Quijote and in what language?

I have/I am in the original Castilian.
I have/I am in English.
I have /I am in another language.
I have not read it in any language.

Don Quijote de la Mancha.

• 2 Replies
Don Quijote de la Mancha.
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:42:35 AM »
Aside from all topics of Gay Marriage, Confederate Flags, and other topics of considerable disagreement, how about one of literature? Surely we can be friendly to one another on a topic like that, no?

I am reading, finally, Don Quijote (more often spelled in English, Quixote) de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes. I am reading it in English for now, but after that, I shall reread it in the original Castilian, a copy of which I have. Fortunately, I also have a copy of the Diccionario de la Academia Real. But that is another matter.

I have read the book in part before, and gotten about halfway through it (meaning, nearly finished with Part I; there are two Parts to Don Quijote. The Book was originally published in two separate volumes but is now generally obtainable in one volume), but have always gotten side-tracked for various reasons.

On a side-note, it is possible that the only reason Cervantes found time to give us Part II was due to a gentleman named Alonso Fernandez de Avellaneda. This individual apparently was not minded to wait for Cervantes, and so penned his own version of Part II BEFORE Cervantes did!

He got away with it for two reasons. I, Copyright laws then were not what they are now. II, no one then or now knows who the f*ck he was! Other than his name being on the book, there are no baptismal records, burial records, confirmation records, or ANY OTHER KINDS of records that show his name, ANYWHERE in Spain or its possessions.

People have suggested that perhaps it was Lope de Vega, a rival author (and Spain's most successful playwright), trying to discredit Cervantes. It is certainly known that the two disliked each other intensely. But there is no evidence that backs up this claim. Some have suggested it was Lope de Vega's friends. Again, no evidence.

So who was it? Well, we will probably never know. I have a copy of it in English. Its hard to find, but I was able to track one down, and paid a good $50 for a paperback, but it was worth it. I shall read it BEFORE I read Cervantes' own Part II.

There is good reason for this. When you read Cervantes' Part II, according to the commentators, you can tell that he wrote it after having read  Quijote Falso (False Quixote). He deliberately has our Knight doing things in Part II that go directly contrary to what Fernandez had him doing.

Anyway, I just thought I would pop up here. I am curious about as to what people think about Quijote, if they have read it. Conker, although you and I clash on many things, your opinion would be very interesting to hear on this subject.

***EDIT***

Well, I lied. In fact, I just bought a copy of the Castilian version of Don Quijote on the Kindle for $2.99. The Kindle is where my copy of the Diccionario de la Academia Real is. As I expected, when I click on a word for a definition, it goes right to that dictionary, as opposed to an English one.  There are thirty dictionaries on the Kindle, a few being in English, and the rest being in various foreign languages, and various English to (language) dictionaries. So you can not only get a definition of a Spanish word in Spanish (the dialect in question being primarily Castilian), but you can also get a translation of a Spanish word to an English word or vice-versa. This is true for many other languages as well.

Originally I had only the paperbacked version of Don Quijote in Spanish. But with the Kindle version, I can now read it very easily, and call for definitions and translations at my leisure. Therefore, I shall read it in Castilian, and bypass the English altogether, except perhaps for reference purposes. Anybody want to join in reading it with me, in any language of your choice?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:30:13 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Re: Don Quijote de la Mancha.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
First off, I am in no ways an expert on the subject.

Question:
How does the musical "Man Of La Mancha" compare with the original ? That is about the extent of my knowledge of "Don Quijote."

Also in my studies , I got as far as two years of Spanish in High School. I understand it was the Castillian version that was taught and some of those who traveled to Mexico said they had trouble understanding the natives and vice versa.

This is a little off-topic, but I have been searching - rather unsuccessfully - but it is also related to literature . I have been searching for any readers of "Sherlock Holmes In Dallas",by "Edmund Aubrey" (Pen Name of British Political Scientist Edmund S. Ions). If there are any who read this post and have read the book I would be interested in any comments. I have posted this on another thread but no results so far.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Re: Don Quijote de la Mancha.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
The play/musical is of course based on the book, and is thoroughly enjoyable in its own way. However, it is considerably different from the book. This is usually the case with most musicals, which is one reason I generally find them distasteful, although "Man of La Mancha" is an exception. The play, if memory serves, is a play in a play. It has Cervantes the author in prison (which in fact was true; he went for failure to keep his accounts in order as a tax collector for the State), writing Don Quijote in prison, also true, to my knowledge. At certain points, you are following the fortunes of the character Don Quijote, and then the play breaks the Fourth Wall and you are following Cervantes. Obviously, the book doesn't do this. The book is entirely about a gentleman who reads too many chivalric romances and loses his mind. He rambles about Spain trying to be a knight errant. I'm not at the end yet, so...

Re: language, I grew up near the Mexican border, speaking that Spanish, and learning to write and read it in high school. I hit college and real quick had to get used to Castilian. Then I moved to Costa Rica which is a voseo country. I lived there for 2 1/2 years. At this point, I speak Costa Rican Spanish, but can understand about any dialect.