There is absolutely no proof of a globe earth. Period.

• 141 Replies
Re: There is absolutely no proof of a globe earth. Period.
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2015, 05:01:51 AM »
Foucault Pendulum is evidence the earth is rotating. They are latitude dependent, which is only possible on a round earth.

The sun does not appear to get smaller as it gets further away. Only possible if it's a great distance away.
No its evidence there is torque occuring at the pivot point , the same as any other movement & pivot point .

Then what is applying the torque? And why does the pendulum trace through 360 degrees in exactly one day?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2015, 06:34:52 AM »
Foucault Pendulum is evidence the earth is rotating. They are latitude dependent, which is only possible on a round earth.

The sun does not appear to get smaller as it gets further away. Only possible if it's a great distance away.
No its evidence there is torque occuring at the pivot point , the same as any other movement & pivot point .

What causes that torque?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yendor

« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2015, 02:18:25 PM »
All things considered,  Yendor has managed to derail a thread that would have been a good debate.   What's more he trolled mercilessly with responses so stupid that it hurts to think at that level.   
I say it's time for Yendor to piss off and go back to feeding the pigs.   Everyone is now wise to the act.

I'm still waiting for a response to "The higher you climb the further you can see."

Mr. Razor,
I guess I did derail this thread and I offer my apologizes. I'll try to be more attentive from now on. How did you know I have pigs? Just kidding I don't, but I do have some laying hens. So I better piss off and go feed them.

Yendor
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Mikey T.

« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »
So in the face of about every way that it could be explained to you, you decide that it still must be false and now you are off the fence.  Yep solid logic there Yendor.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »

Are you serious?  You have to be trolling at this point.  While you are at it how about you question the color of the sky.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Mikey T.

« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
He clearly doesn't understand what torque is.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »
He clearly doesn't understand what torque is.

Add that to the already lengthy list of things he doesn't understand.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »
if ive read correctly, the flat earth model has the north pole in the center, and the south pole is actually the edge of the flat disk. Well have you ever taken a flight from new zealand to chile? it takes 12 hours, considering normal plane speed that makes it around 10000km proven. In the flat earth model, new zealand and chile are nearly on opposite sides of the disk. Reaching further than 10000km from eachother.

Furthermore, on a flat earth map, australia is about the same size as Russia. Again you can look at flight times to have easily accessible proof this is not the case.

Mikey T.

« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
Yep, been mentioned before.  The most interesting answer to this was sleeping gas and the flight crew changing everything that would keep time for you.  Also add in the sheer stupidity of people to not understand how timezones work so they are confused when they land, enough to keep the conspiracy going.
Or, all of those flights are lies, that one was awesome too, since I was on one a few years back. 
Or, jetstreams, perfectly boost your speed when traveling in the southern hemisphere, no matter which way you are going.  Yep, multiple intelligent jetstreams. 

?

hoyhoy5

• Irrational disbelief is not critically thinking.
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
Guys, sorry to bring up again this old topic, I just have quick question regarding the hovering effect of, say, a helicopter. Why isn't it considered a "freely moving object"? Such as in how cannon balls are considered freely moving objects regarding the Coriolis effect. Is it due to the atmosphere dragging the helicopter along? And if so, wouldn't the atmosphere also drag along the cannon ball? I would love to be enlightened in this question.
When in doubt, remember RELM:
Rationality, Evidence, Logic and Math.

Mikey T.

« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »
Because the helicopter is hovering in the air and a canon ball is flying through the air.  Meaning that helicopter is using the air as a cushion of sorta since it is the lift from the rotors pushing air down so it is moving with the air. 

?

hoyhoy5

« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »
Because the helicopter is hovering in the air and a canon ball is flying through the air.  Meaning that helicopter is using the air as a cushion of sorta since it is the lift from the rotors pushing air down so it is moving with the air.

I see. Thank you. So, in thecnical terms, could we also conclude we, when we jump, are temporarely freely moving objects? Or not?

?

BJ1234

« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2015, 07:42:02 PM »

I see. Thank you. So, in thecnical terms, could we also conclude we, when we jump, are temporarely freely moving objects? Or not?
Here is the thing, we are traveling, at the equator, at 1000mph with the earth.  If we jump, we are still traveling at the 1000mph and continue on the same direction.  It is just like if you drop a ball while traveling in a bus, the ball drops straight down to our feet.  It doesn't fly back at 50mph.

The coriolis effect is for an object that is moving either away from, or towards, the equator.  The ground is traveling at a slower rate further away from the equator.

So if you threw a ball far enough away from the equator, the ball would still have the initial 1000mph east/west movement yet the ground underneath that point would be only traveling at, say, 990mph.  Thus it would actually appear to an observer at that point that the ball would be traveling away from them, in the east/west direction, at 10mph.

Here is a good youtube video explaining coriolis.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

?

hoyhoy5

« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »

Here is the thing, we are traveling, at the equator, at 1000mph with the earth.  If we jump, we are still traveling at the 1000mph and continue on the same direction.  It is just like if you drop a ball while traveling in a bus, the ball drops straight down to our feet.  It doesn't fly back at 50mph.

The coriolis effect is for an object that is moving either away from, or towards, the equator.  The ground is traveling at a slower rate further away from the equator.

So if you threw a ball far enough away from the equator, the ball would still have the initial 1000mph east/west movement yet the ground underneath that point would be only traveling at, say, 990mph.  Thus it would actually appear to an observer at that point that the ball would be traveling away from them, in the east/west direction, at 10mph.

I think you actually explained it better than the video. But I atill have a few questions, if you don't mind answering them.

Does the air, traveling at the rotational speed of say 990mph, interfere much with the object thrown away from the equator, which is at a rotational speed of 1000mph?

why is there this deflection difference between the south and north hemisphere?

And last, why would the object start rotating, exactly? Would it still travel along the Earth at the local rotational speed (990mph) or at its original speed (1000mph)?

?

BJ1234

« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »

I think you actually explained it better than the video. But I atill have a few questions, if you don't mind answering them.

Does the air, traveling at the rotational speed of say 990mph, interfere much with the object thrown away from the equator, which is at a rotational speed of 1000mph?
I am sure it does, however, I would not know how much, or even if it is significant or not.
why is there this deflection difference between the south and north hemisphere?
To me, it seems it is because you have turned around.  For example, say you are stopped on the street while crossing it.  This is a one way street with two lanes.  You stop on the line between the lanes.  If you are facing the way you were going, the cars are going coming from your left.  If you turn around and face the way you came from , the cars are coming from your right.
And last, why would the object start rotating, exactly? Would it still travel along the Earth at the local rotational speed (990mph) or at its original speed (1000mph)?
Not sure if I am understanding the question here.  Could you please try and make it a bit clearer what you are looking for?

?

hoyhoy5

« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2015, 09:12:34 PM »
In the video, it was stated that the deflected object, or fluid, tends to rotate as it goes to the right/left more and more. I just wanted some more insight regarding this phenomenon.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2015, 09:34:55 PM »
In the video, it was stated that the deflected object, or fluid, tends to rotate as it goes to the right/left more and more. I just wanted some more insight regarding this phenomenon.

As you move away from the equator the diameter changes  ( the distance to the axis of rotation )  this continues until you reach the north or south pole where you are standing on the axis of rotation, and if you stood still,  you would complete one revolution in 24 hours.   

I did a diagram showing why weather systems rotate different directions in north and south hemispheres.

The change from 1600 kph to zero takes place over  10,000 km  so it would be on average a change of 16 kph  every 100 km,  or in 10 km it would be 1.6 kph  depending on latitude.

Still,  it's enough to affect a cannon firing long distances when accuracy is important,   and of course large things like weather systems.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2015, 01:24:03 AM »

We are. If we manage to jump perfectly straight up, we would end up an unimaginable distance over to the west, and if we are in the northen hemisphere and jump forwards, we will end up an unimaginable distance to the right (and of course to the left in the southern hemisphere).
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2015, 02:16:22 AM »

We are. If we manage to jump perfectly straight up, we would end up an unimaginable distance over to the west, and if we are in the northen hemisphere and jump forwards, we will end up an unimaginable distance to the right (and of course to the left in the southern hemisphere).

Ummm No.  If you jump perfectly straight up, you would come down exactly where you started.    You don't move anywhere relative to the earth.   

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2015, 02:58:16 AM »

Ummm No.  If you jump perfectly straight up, you would come down exactly where you started.    You don't move anywhere relative to the earth.   

If we have two circles, one large and one small, and they spin at the exact same speed, the larger circle is going to take a longer time to make on full turn. When we jump, we go from a smaller circle to the larger circle, so we are going to lag behind, even if we move at the exact same speed.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2015, 05:25:06 AM »

If we have two circles, one large and one small, and they spin at the exact same speed, the larger circle is going to take a longer time to make on full turn. When we jump, we go from a smaller circle to the larger circle, so we are going to lag behind, even if we move at the exact same speed.

The larger circle still takes 24 hours to complete a full 360 degree rotation.    But you are correct in that the speed is slightly different,  not that you would ever know, since everything is moving with you including the air.    The actual difference in velocity by jumping up 1 meter would be  0.0002 kph  ( caused by a change in radius from 6371000, to 6371001 meters)  but you'd never know, because the air and everything else is moving with you.

There is an effect that can be seen on a global scale and that is a banding effect, similar to the atmospheric banding that occurs on Jupiter,  which is much bigger and rotating faster.

Salviati

• What is my Personal Text?
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2015, 06:44:18 AM »
There IS a proof of a globe earth. It was already pointed out by Rayzor and Jet Fission. I never ever did read a convincing response to this proof from flat earthers.

I'm talking about the rotation of the celestial dome around both North Celestial Pole and South Celestial Pole. When facing this argument usually flat earthers get lost or they answer with a random bullshit. There is no way to grasping at straws trying to explain this. This observation alone destroys all flat earth theories for good.

The rotation of the dome around two celestial poles is possible only if we live on a sphere PERIOD.

Dear fellows fe'ers, did you understand the question? Are you zetetic, meaning you believe only what you see with your own eyes? Well, let's go zetetic.

In the northern emisphere if you observe the stars for some hours at night you notice that they rotate around a point.

In the southern emisphere if you observe the stars for some hours at night you notice that they rotate around a point.

And, i would add, the angular distance between stars doesn't change, and this too you can see with your own eyes.

Well, your turn fellows fe'ers, explain how the hell is possible this fact on a flat earth.

Q: Why do you think the Earth is round?
A: Look out the window!