There is absolutely no proof of a globe earth. Period.

• 141 Replies

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
Re: There is absolutely no proof of a globe earth. Period.
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »
No the atmosphere remains in place because of the magic of gravity which seems to be completely unpredictable, have a mind of it's own, and affect objects of different mass and density, based on how it decides that it wants to.

Gravity sounds a lot like a wife to me.

F=MmG/d2 period, end of story, nothing more, that's it.  That is able to predict everything from tides to the motion of the Moon to the motion of the planets.  It can be used to predict an eclipse to the exact second, and you call it unpredictable.  Research much?
Interesting, as I do enjoy fishing could you show me how to use this formula to predict the tides?

That's easy.

The equation states that gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, and this means the side of the Earth closest to the Moon feels a stronger gravitational pull then the further side which makes the Earth stretch a bit towards the Moon.  The oceans are effected a lot more then the land because water is a liquid.  Given the exact mass of the Moon and the Earth, the distance between them, their rotation speed, and their size, it would be possible to calculate the exact amount the tides would rise and fall.  The math for this gets quite complicated but it's all derived from F=MmG/d2.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
That all sounds good,but you are forgetting about speed. I don't care if you are on a big ball or the Earth. If you are spinning 464 meters per second and you suddenly stop, you will fall down. As you know this does not happen.

So I was correct in my assumption, you really don't understand relative motion.

You don't "stop", you go from 466 (or 462) m/s to 464 m/s if you're jogging at 2 m/s. You made this same mistake in your previous posts, assuming everything "stops" when you stop moving.  There is no "stop", the Earth will continue to spin at the same constant velocity.

If we want to use the cruise ship example again: If it's sailing at 8 m/s East, and you're running on the deck East at 2 m/s, and then you stop, you just go from 474 m/s to 472 m/s. No drastic changes in momentum here.

What I'm trying to convay to you is very simple, you need no more than common sense. If the Earth is spinning over 1/4 miles per second, (that is damn fast, faster than the speed of sound, 340.29 m / s), and you are running on it and stop, the continuous spinning of the Earth will knock you down. In fact you couldn't even stand up if the Earth is spinning that fast. Please explain where I'm wrong.

The mere fact you say "(that is damn fast, faster than the speed of sound, 340.29 m / s)" tells me you still don't understand relative motion. If you did understand it, then 464 m/s of constant velocity NOT in your frame of reference is no problem at all. It doesn't affect you.

Yendor

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »
That all sounds good,but you are forgetting about speed. I don't care if you are on a big ball or the Earth. If you are spinning 464 meters per second and you suddenly stop, you will fall down. As you know this does not happen.

So I was correct in my assumption, you really don't understand relative motion.

You don't "stop", you go from 466 (or 462) m/s to 464 m/s if you're jogging at 2 m/s. You made this same mistake in your previous posts, assuming everything "stops" when you stop moving.  There is no "stop", the Earth will continue to spin at the same constant velocity.

If we want to use the cruise ship example again: If it's sailing at 8 m/s East, and you're running on the deck East at 2 m/s, and then you stop, you just go from 474 m/s to 472 m/s. No drastic changes in momentum here.

What I'm trying to convay to you is very simple, you need no more than common sense. If the Earth is spinning over 1/4 miles per second, (that is damn fast, faster than the speed of sound, 340.29 m / s), and you are running on it and stop, the continuous spinning of the Earth will knock you down. In fact you couldn't even stand up if the Earth is spinning that fast. Please explain where I'm wrong.

The mere fact you say "(that is damn fast, faster than the speed of sound, 340.29 m / s)" tells me you still don't understand relative motion. If you did understand it, then 464 m/s of constant velocity NOT in your frame of reference is no problem at all. It doesn't affect you.

Come on Mr. Dog, I understand when you throw a ball up in a moving car you can catch it. This is not what i'm talking about. Simply tell me why I can't catch that same ball if I throw it up while on on the back of a jet plane, flying in the sky. The conditions are the same as the Earth only NOT relative to the Earth because of the planes height above the Earth, same speed and same direction, (west to east). Also, the plane is flying in the Earth's atmosphere on a very calm day, so it would feel the same atmosphere as a person feels on Earth, hardly any breeze at all. Please explain your answer in layman's terms.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
Please explain your answer in layman's terms.

It may not be possible to explain in terms simple enough for you to understand. Dog and the others' explanations so far have been simple and clear. You seem to have problems understanding the difference between moving with an air mass and moving through an air mass. Maybe one of them can help you, but it's looking doubtful.

[Edit to add] sceptimatic, as usual, has it totally wrong, calls it logic, and insists he's right.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:21:09 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yendor

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2015, 02:03:30 PM »
Please explain your answer in layman's terms.

It may not be possible to explain in terms simple enough for you to understand. Dog and the others' explanations so far have been simple and clear. You seem to have problems understanding the difference between moving with an air mass and moving through an air mass. Maybe one of them can help you, but it's looking doubtful.

[Edit to add] sceptimatic, as usual, has it totally wrong, calls it logic, and insists he's right.

I'm sorry you find me a tough learner. I've never takern for granted what people tell me until I can get it firmly in my head. Saying all that, please try and help me understand this. Please explain to me the differences between the two air masses. One air mass is on Earth rotating 1000 mph and we don't feel it because we are going along with the Earths rotation. The other air mass is up in the sky, going the same speed as the air on the ground. The plane that is up in the sky is going the same speed, direction and the air is also going the same speed and direction as the air on Earth. If a person standing on Earth does not feel the fast moving air then that person on the plane also should not feel the fast moving air either. If you feel i'm wrong, then please expain why. I'd appreciate it.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
Come on Mr. Dog, I understand when you throw a ball up in a moving car you can catch it. This is not what i'm talking about. Simply tell me why I can't catch that same ball if I throw it up while on on the back of a jet plane, flying in the sky. The conditions are the same as the Earth only NOT relative to the Earth because of the planes height above the Earth, same speed and same direction, (west to east). Also, the plane is flying in the Earth's atmosphere on a very calm day, so it would feel the same atmosphere as a person feels on Earth, hardly any breeze at all. Please explain your answer in layman's terms.

Is the plane going the same speed as the Earth (464 m/s) in the same direction as the Earth is spinning?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2015, 02:35:38 PM »
The roundies are very fond of comparing a person riding on a ball spinning at 1000 mph with a person riding on a train or plane.  While it is true that a person would not feel anything if they were traveling at a constant velocity, the thing that they fail or neglect to acknowledge is that, while riding around on a spinning ball, a person would, in fact, not have a constant velocity; the person would be perpetually accelerating.  And, as most of us science literate people on this forum know, people do actually feel acceleration. 

Another win for the FES!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »
The roundies are very fond of comparing a person riding on a ball spinning at 1000 mph with a person riding on a train or plane.  While it is true that a person would not feel anything if they were traveling at a constant velocity, the thing that they fail or neglect to acknowledge is that, while riding around on a spinning ball, a person would, in fact, not have a constant velocity; the person would be perpetually accelerating.  And, as most of us science literate people on this forum know, people do actually feel acceleration. 

Another win for the FES!
You know the calculations were already done. The acceleration is too low to be felt.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »

You are half correct. As every person who is actually literate in science (instead of just claiming it) knows, vector components matter.

The Earth is spinning at 463 [m/sec]. This velocity is constant and angular.
Yes, you are also perpetually accelerating because of this "spinning ball". This is called centripetal acceleration and it's perpendicular to the rotating surface, inwards.

So
1) Yes you are accelerating, but this does not affect your constant velocity as the vector components are perpendicular.
2) I can already sense your simple thoughts: "Ok then why don't we FEEL the acceleration??"

Centripetal acceleration = v2/r

Rotational velocity = (2*pi*r)/T        where r is the radius of the Earth and T is the rotational period, so:

v = (2*pi*6371000[m])/86400[sec] = 463.3 [m/sec]        we put this back in the acceleration equation to obtain:

a = (463.3 [m/sec])2/6371000[m] = 0.0337 [m/sec2]

About 3.4 cm/sec2 of centripetal acceleration.....

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:13 AM »
Southern circumpolar stars alone prove the Earth is round.
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

?

Tom

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2015, 03:23:18 AM »

No

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2015, 04:45:45 AM »
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Yendor

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2015, 07:05:09 AM »

Is the plane going the same speed as the Earth (464 m/s) in the same direction as the Earth is spinning?

Yes, Mr Dog. The plane is exactly simulating the Earth in all regards. In fact you could say it is geostationary. Only it is not in space. it is in the atmosphere. Because the person is riding on the back of the plane, they would be in the same system as they would be as if they were on the ground on a fine day. They should be able to stand up and walk around the plane's back without even falling down or be blown off by the wind. The samme as we do on Earth. Can you picture what I mean and do you think my assessment is correct?
                              George Orwell

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2015, 08:51:04 AM »

Yes, Mr Dog. The plane is exactly simulating the Earth in all regards. In fact you could say it is geostationary. Only it is not in space. it is in the atmosphere. Because the person is riding on the back of the plane, they would be in the same system as they would be as if they were on the ground on a fine day. They should be able to stand up and walk around the plane's back without even falling down or be blown off by the wind. The samme as we do on Earth. Can you picture what I mean and do you think my assessment is correct?

Airplanes, with very few exceptions, can't hover, which is what you're describing. If you're on top of, say, a hovering V-22 Osprey, then, sure, you could stand up and walk around on top of it (presuming you can avoid the downwash and turbulence from the props, and the plane was steady enough). Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

Traditional fixed-wing aircraft generate the lift they need to stay aloft by flying through the air at high speed. If airspeed is zero, the plane falls out of the sky because there's no lift, so what you describe can't happen (absent a headwind strong enough to be above stall speed); even if the groundspeed is zero, your airspeed must be well above it.

You can stand and walk around in an open basket suspended below a hot-air balloon while aloft. Because those do hover if there's no wind, as you describe. You're riding along, suspended in the air, over a fixed spot on Earth. If there is wind, you move slowly over the Earth along with it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »

Airplanes, with very few exceptions, can't hover, which is what you're describing. If you're on top of, say, a hovering V-22 Osprey, then, sure, you could stand up and walk around on top of it (presuming you can avoid the downwash and turbulence from the props, and the plane was steady enough). Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

Traditional fixed-wing aircraft generate the lift they need to stay aloft by flying through the air at high speed. If airspeed is zero, the plane falls out of the sky because there's no lift, so what you describe can't happen (absent a headwind strong enough to be above stall speed); even if the groundspeed is zero, your airspeed must be well above it.

You can stand and walk around in an open basket suspended below a hot-air balloon while aloft. Because those do hover if there's no wind, as you describe. You're riding along, suspended in the air, over a fixed spot on Earth. If there is wind, you move slowly over the Earth along with it.
How do you know it, is it your supervisor supply you with this information ?

« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »

Uh... are you saying that airplanes can hover at will, and I've been lied to about this? That's a new one!

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »

Uh... are you saying that airplanes can hover at will, and I've been lied to about this? That's a new one!
I just asked how you have such vast knowledge what did you do in life that you are "swim" in so many fields ?

Yendor

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »

Alpha2Omega,

You must have missed it when I said the plane was going the same speed as the Earth, around 1000 mph. In other words the plane was staying in sync with the Earth. Similar to a  DirecTV satellite, only in Earth's atmosphere. By matching Earth's speed and direction and because the atmosphere is going along with the Earth's spin, it should feel no different on the back of the plane as it does standing on Earth any normal calm day. Simply please tell me if you agree or not.
                              George Orwell

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2015, 11:04:50 AM »
Alpha2Omega,

You must have missed it when I said the plane was going the same speed as the Earth, around 1000 mph. In other words the plane was staying in sync with the Earth. Similar to a  DirecTV satellite, only in Earth's atmosphere. By matching Earth's speed and direction and because the atmosphere is going along with the Earth's spin, it should feel no different on the back of the plane as it does standing on Earth any normal calm day. Simply please tell me if you agree or not.

I know this question is not directed at me but here is my reply.

The atmosphere moves with the Earth, meaning that if you are standing at the moving ground the moving air would seem to be sitting still.  A better analogy would be standing inside the plane going at 1,000 miles per hour where it will feel like any calm day because you and the air are moving at the same speed.

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »

Alpha2Omega,

You must have missed it when I said the plane was going the same speed as the Earth, around 1000 mph. In other words the plane was staying in sync with the Earth. Similar to a  DirecTV satellite, only in Earth's atmosphere.

No, I didn't miss that. It would be staying over a single spot on the surface. Isn't that "hovering"?

By matching Earth's speed and direction and because the atmosphere is going along with the Earth's spin, it should feel no different on the back of the plane as it does standing on Earth any normal calm day. Simply please tell me if you agree or not.

Since the surface of the Earth, the aircraft, and the air are all traveling in the same direction at the same speed, there's no relative motion between them, so no airflow above and below the airplane's wings, so the airplane's wings can develop no lift. How does it stay aloft?

I do not agree that the scenario you describe is possible with a conventional airplane, so the question is moot. I do agree that, at least in principle, this would be possible with a levitating platform like a hovercraft of some type, or aerostat (e.g. hot-air balloon); in those cases, then yes, you can stand and walk around. This is assuming no practical limitations like stability, or a helicopter's downwash.

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2015, 11:09:13 AM »
Alpha2Omega,

The atmosphere moves with the Earth, meaning that if you are standing at the moving ground the moving air would seem to be sitting still.  A better analogy would be standing inside the plane going at 1,000 miles per hour where it will feel like any calm day because you and the air are moving at the same speed.
prove me the atmosphere move with the earth ?

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

No
Thanks for your articulate and convincing rebuttal. Care to elaborate further?

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
Alpha2Omega,

but you can tell the airplane is travel you feel the airplane you feel the air pockets it has definitive feel of traveling.

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »

No
god made the star moving anti-clockwise in the southern atmosphere because he thought it more beautiful - refute it.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »

No
god made the star moving anti-clockwise in the southern atmosphere because he thought it more beautiful - refute it.
1. That's implying god exists, a premise you have no evidence of
2. Even if god does exist, you have no evidence to prove this is something he thought
3. This is an argument from ignorance
4. Saying god "just does it" does not solve the impossible geometry that has to warp space somehow
5. You could use this argument to "prove" anything, including a round Earth

I'd like a rebuttal from another FE'er, I do not feel like debating religion.

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2015, 11:24:42 AM »

No
2. Even if god does exist, you have no evidence to prove this is something he thought
4. Saying god "just does it" does not solve the impossible geometry that has to warp space somehow

do you have a proof for gravity that doesn't involve with logical fallacy not to mention logical fallacy is mind game that has nothing to do with real life only science with no real life evidence only mind game.
you asked for other explanation I gave you other explanation it is valid even though I have no direct evidence.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »

Dammit everyone else beat me to it  ;D

The Earth is spinning at 1000 mph. The atmosphere is moving with it at 1000 mph. If your airplane is moving in the same direction at 1000 mph, relative to the Earth is is not moving! To be moving at the same exact speed as the Earth (1000 mph), your airplane has to be on the ground not moving. If airplanes could hover (a few can), then yes it "feels no different on the back of the plane as it does standing on Earth any normal calm day", because it's not moving through the atmosphere. You're on the right track.

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
Alpha2Omega,

prove me the atmosphere move with the earth ?

Nothing to prove. That was Yendor's premise for the scenario. I highlighted it for you.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2015, 12:24:08 PM »
but you can tell the airplane is travel you feel the airplane you feel the air pockets it has definitive feel of traveling.

If an airplane sitting still on the ground moved as if it were experiencing turbulence and stuff then it would feel like you are moving, and if a flying airplane perfectly maintained it's velicity then it would feel stationary.

Have you ever been on a train waiting to leave the station when the train next to you starts moving?  At first you think that you are moving and you start feeling like you are moving but then the train passes and you realize that it was moving and not you.  The feeling of motion is entirely placebo, you cannot sense motion and you "feel" it when you know/think you are moving.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »

No

do you have a proof for gravity that doesn't involve with logical fallacy not to mention logical fallacy is mind game that has nothing to do with real life only science with no real life evidence only mind game.
you asked for other explanation I gave you other explanation it is valid even though I have no direct evidence.
Completely irrelevant. Typical flat Earth deflection. I didn't ask for any explanation, I asked for a rebuttal.

Southern circumpolar stars prove that the Earth is round. OP? Want to take a bite?