There is absolutely no proof of a globe earth. Period.

• 141 Replies
There is absolutely no proof of a globe earth. Period.
« on: June 15, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »
I have been reading these forums for some time, been reading both sides of the arguments.

I have yet to see any proof of a globe earth.

I will debate anyone here bring it on.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
Re: There is absolutely no proof of a globe earth. Period.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
Foucault Pendulum is evidence the earth is rotating. They are latitude dependent, which is only possible on a round earth.

The sun does not appear to get smaller as it gets further away. Only possible if it's a great distance away.
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 06:54:20 PM »
Foucault Pendulum is evidence the earth is rotating. They are latitude dependent, which is only possible on a round earth.

The sun does not appear to get smaller as it gets further away. Only possible if it's a great distance away.

Foucault pendulum is in no way evidence the earth is rotating. It's a suspended bob that moves, an unexplained phenomenon.

The suns behavior is also a mystery, as are it's origins, true size and distance.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:01:01 PM »

Furthermore I never said the sun moves further away. Do not assume.

We are discussing proof of a round earth in this particular thread.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »

Foucault pendulum is in no way evidence the earth is rotating. It's a suspended bob that moves, an unexplained phenomenon.
But it moves in a predictable pattern, which is based off of latitude. quite easy to explain. I saw one in France.
The suns behavior is also a mystery, as are it's origins, true size and distance.
No, it is no mystery at all. Quite explainable.

I see your best rebuttal is "It's unexplained"  I expected more. 
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »

But it moves in a predictable pattern, which is based off of latitude. quite easy to explain. I saw one in France.

It moves in a predictable pattern, ok that's fine. But that doesn't prove the earth is a ball and rotating.

Also yes the sun's behavior is unexplained, you can't tell me how the sun got there, why it moves the way it does, how large it is, why it appears to be the same size as the moon, why it's gravity doesn't suck us in, and many more.

Also don't detract please, I want to see proof of a ball earth.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:44 PM »
I'm going to bed right now but will be back after work tomorrow but I will leave you with this.

If the earth is spinning at over 1000 miles an hour and we can't feel it because we are spinning with it, how exactly can the foucault pendulum defy this property and remain still while the earth supposedly spins underneath, have you really given this any critical thought, or are you just parroting what other's have told you?

Use your brain and think for once.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »

It moves in a predictable pattern, ok that's fine. But that doesn't prove the earth is a ball and rotating.
You are still forgetting they are predictable based on latitude.

where omega is angular speed and phi is latitude.

Also yes the sun's behavior is unexplained, you can't tell me how the sun got there, why it moves the way it does, how large it is, why it appears to be the same size as the moon, why it's gravity doesn't suck us in, and many more.
It got there because the earth formed around it.
It moves the way it because because the earth is in an non circular orbit around it.
The sun has a circumference of 4.379x106km.
It is a coincidence that the sun and moon appear the same size.
We are in orbit around the sun, out velocity keeps us from falling in.
All explainable.

ISS HD Earth Viewing Experiment on USTREAM: ***QUICK NOTES ABOUT HDEV VIDEO*** Black Image = International Space Station (ISS) is on the night side of the ...

If the earth is spinning at over 1000 miles an hour and we can't feel it because we are spinning with it, how exactly can the foucault pendulum defy this property and remain still while the earth supposedly spins underneath, have you really given this any critical thought, or are you just parroting what other's have told you?
The pendulum does spin with the earth, it just doesn't twist with the earth. There is no force acting on it to change it's swinging direction.

I suggest you do the same.
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

Mikey T.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »
Ok, the 1000 mph BS again.  I gave everyone the calculations on how much force would be felt from the centripetal force of that turn.  It makes one rotation every 24 hours.  The force felt by the rotation of the Earth does have a very small effect on the pendulum.  This small force causes it to change its swing ever so slightly from its original path.  That 1000 mph when you are talking about something the size of the Earth will not exert much force on the things riding on it.
So a rebuttal of it's unexplained is not only incorrect, but rather lazy.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »
I have been reading these forums for some time, been reading both sides of the arguments.

Ok, let's keep it simple.

1.  The higher you climb the further you can see.  This is not possible on a flat earth
2. The horizon on a clear day is a sharp line, not a hazy blur.  On a flat earth the horizon is the vanishing point of visibility.
3. Stars in the Southern Hemisphere rotate clockwise about the South Celestial pole,   In the North stars rotate anti clockwise about the North Celestial pole,  two poles = globe.
4. The South Pole is a place you can visit.  Not some forbidden land with an ice wall, there is no edge.
5. From the Southern Hemisphere summer solstice to the winter solstice there is 24 hour daylight inside the Antarctic Circle.
6  Distances in the Southern Hemisphere match exactly what you expect on a globe,  there is no flat earth map to explain this.
7. Satellites are in orbit,  and can be proven to be exactly where they are supposed to be.  GPS, Satellite TV, Satellite phones etc.  all work as expected.
8. The South magnetic pole is a point at  S 63 30,  E 138,   which explains magnetic inclination,  a flat earth with South Magnetic pole underneath would have vertical inclination.
9. Differential levels can measure the earth's curvature directly and accurately. 
10.  Geodetic surveys routinely correct for C+R,  curvature and refraction,  it's standard surveying practice.   

That should be enough to get you started.

And the killer,  no one has ever shown ANY evidence of a flat earth.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:35:23 PM by Rayzor »
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »
Here is a picture of Earth taken on a mission that would require well over 1,000,000 conspirators to fake:

On top of that, the Moon is always seen from the same perspective reguardless of where you are on the Earth.
Sigma Octantus (the south star) is always south of the observer and only visible in the Southern Hemisphere.
The Sun sets and at the same time we have time zones, so you can't see the Sun at night but someone on another continent can see it.
I can see the International Space Station flying overhead and it looks like the station when I look at it with a telescope.
Check my forum signature for more.

I actually haven't seen a single flat Earth proof.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

Itchy_Arris

• Infinite Earth Movement Leader
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 12:44:05 AM »
Here is a picture of Earth taken on a mission that would require well over 1,000,000 conspirators to fake:

On top of that, the Moon is always seen from the same perspective reguardless of where you are on the Earth.
Sigma Octantus (the south star) is always south of the observer and only visible in the Southern Hemisphere.
The Sun sets and at the same time we have time zones, so you can't see the Sun at night but someone on another continent can see it.
I can see the International Space Station flying overhead and it looks like the station when I look at it with a telescope.

That picture is a joke. North Africa and Arabia are near the north pole? Really? They are quite warm you know.  ::)
What goes up, must come down.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 02:01:09 AM »

That picture is a joke. North Africa and Arabia are near the north pole? Really? They are quite warm you know.  ::)
Obvious troll is obvious.
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 02:11:43 AM »
100000000000 conspirators with 1 million dollars in bank wouldn't tell nothing.

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 02:17:48 AM »

Ok, let's keep it simple.

1.  The higher you climb the further you can see.  This is not possible on a flat earth
2. The horizon on a clear day is a sharp line, not a hazy blur.  On a flat earth the horizon is the vanishing point of visibility.
3. Stars in the Southern Hemisphere rotate clockwise about the South Celestial pole,   In the North stars rotate anti clockwise about the North Celestial pole,  two poles = globe.
4. The South Pole is a place you can visit.  Not some forbidden land with an ice wall, there is no edge.
5. From the Southern Hemisphere summer solstice to the winter solstice there is 24 hour daylight inside the Antarctic Circle.
6  Distances in the Southern Hemisphere match exactly what you expect on a globe,  there is no flat earth map to explain this.
7. Satellites are in orbit,  and can be proven to be exactly where they are supposed to be.  GPS, Satellite TV, Satellite phones etc.  all work as expected.
8. The South magnetic pole is a point at  S 63 30,  E 138,   which explains magnetic inclination,  a flat earth with South Magnetic pole underneath would have vertical inclination.
9. Differential levels can measure the earth's curvature directly and accurately. 
10.  Geodetic surveys routinely correct for C+R,  curvature and refraction,  it's standard surveying practice.   

That should be enough to get you started.

And the killer,  no one has ever shown ANY evidence of a flat earth.

1)probably other explanation aside from round earth because you climb higher you still don't see the curve.
2)don't know what the difference.
3)could be 10000 explanations aside from round earth.
4)the south pole could be a place this has nothing to do with round earth.
5)there are controversies about it.
6)No they are not you haven't proved it aside from the conspiracy.
7)This is what we call "the conspiracy".
8)other explanations can be found you just have to search for them.
9)don't know what you mean.
10)Conspiracy.

?

Art

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 07:07:58 AM »
The fact that you can calculate and travel the shortest distance between two locations
calculated with great circle formula (shortest line connecting the two points across a sphere).
It works on the same land mass too.

If you want to fall off the edge of the Earth where should you head for?
If the answer is the old South Pole around the whole disc of an Earth,
that messes up our representation of geographic land mass severely,
and can easily be locally checked across relatively short distances.

RET:0 - FET:0

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »

Pictures taken from space of the earth depend on which angle from which they were taken. Your assumption that North Africa and Arabia are near the North Pole indicates that you are either ignorant of this or just don't understand .

If you have a globe and a camera handy, try taking a few pictures from different angles and see if you don't get the same results as in the picture.

In short there is an almost infinite proof of a globe earth. And there is absolutely no proof that there is a flat earth. Period.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:52:34 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Yendor

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »
Ok, the 1000 mph BS again.  I gave everyone the calculations on how much force would be felt from the centripetal force of that turn.  It makes one rotation every 24 hours.  The force felt by the rotation of the Earth does have a very small effect on the pendulum.  This small force causes it to change its swing ever so slightly from its original path.  That 1000 mph when you are talking about something the size of the Earth will not exert much force on the things riding on it.

I understand that if we are running along on Earth as it is spinning at 464 meters per second we wouldn't feel it until our bodies actually sense acceleration or change in speed. Well, if we suddenly sped up or down or comply stopped in our tracts we should feel something. With the Earth spinning at over 1/4 mile per second we might even fall down. Needless to say, I've never felt a thing. Now, if you look at this logically, which I believe you are a very logical person, can you not see any logic in my thought on this issue. I don't want you to dictate what you've read or been taught, just a straight honest answer using your logical mind.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »

I understand that if we are running along on Earth as it is spinning at 464 meters per second we wouldn't feel it until our bodies actually sense acceleration or change in speed. Well, if we suddenly sped up or down or comply stopped in our tracts we should feel something. With the Earth spinning at over 1/4 mile per second we might even fall down. Needless to say, I've never felt a thing. Now, if you look at this logically, which I believe you are a very logical person, can you not see any logic in my thought on this issue. I don't want you to dictate what you've read or been taught, just a straight honest answer using your logical mind.

If we look at it completely zeteticly, without any bias, we still come to the same conclusion. My experience teaches me that the bigger the vehicle, the less motion is felt. When you are on a bike, you feel lots of motion. In a car, you feel motion, but less. On a plane, you feel very little motion except when accelerating. On a large cruise ship, you feel no motion at all. Earth is billions and billions of times bigger than a cruise ship, so logically you wouldn't feel any motion.

That's me being as open-minded as possible.
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

Yendor

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »

If we look at it completely zeteticly, without any bias, we still come to the same conclusion. My experience teaches me that the bigger the vehicle, the less motion is felt. When you are on a bike, you feel lots of motion. In a car, you feel motion, but less. On a plane, you feel very little motion except when accelerating. On a large cruise ship, you feel no motion at all. Earth is billions and billions of times bigger than a cruise ship, so logically you wouldn't feel any motion.

Just go out side and start running for a while, then suddenly stop. If the Earth is spinning over !/4 mps and you suddenly stop and the Earth keeps on spinning, you have to agree the Earth's momentium should at least knock you off balance.
You can't see that? Remember, we are talking over 1/4 MPS. That is faster then any drag racer by a long run.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
Ah classic.
"Round Earth is fake. Prove me otherwise."
*proceeds to get pelted with dozens of pieces of definitive proof of a spherical Earth*
"Ouch, well it's unexplained, ow, b-but that doesn't mean anything, ouch, obviously they're all paid shills"

Relative velocity.
The Earth is at a constant velocity, so anything a human does on it is relative. The velocity of the Earth can be completely discarded for any calculations done on the surface because of this. Why don't you think relative velocity exists? I don't want you to dictate what you've read or been taught, just a straight honest answer using your logical mind.

Yendor

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »
Ah classic.
"Round Earth is fake. Prove me otherwise."
*proceeds to get pelted with dozens of pieces of definitive proof of a spherical Earth*
"Ouch, well it's unexplained, ow, b-but that doesn't mean anything, ouch, obviously they're all paid shills"

Relative velocity.
The Earth is at a constant velocity, so anything a human does on it is relative. The velocity of the Earth can be completely discarded for any calculations done on the surface because of this. Why don't you think relative velocity exists? I don't want you to dictate what you've read or been taught, just a straight honest answer using your logical mind.

Reletive velocity does exist. It is not relative to this situation. I'm talking about the force of momentium. If a person is running on a merry-go-round, that is spinning in the direction it is spinning, then that person suddenly stops I'm sure they would feel a large sudden change of momentium. If it wasn't spinning I think they would feel a very small change of momentium.I'm being as logical as I can be.
                              George Orwell

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 03:21:56 PM »
If running along a cruise ship and suddenly stop, do you feel it?
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »

Just go out side and start running for a while, then suddenly stop. If the Earth is spinning over !/4 mps and you suddenly stop and the Earth keeps on spinning, you have to agree the Earth's momentium should at least knock you off balance.
You can't see that? Remember, we are talking over 1/4 MPS. That is faster then any drag racer by a long run.

Yeah, if you're running and suddenly come to a stop, the Earth's angular momentum will change very slightly, but not nearly enough for you or anyone else to notice - maybe one part in several million billion gazillion, depending on how fast you were running and how much you weigh. However, if someone else is running in the opposite direction and suddenly stops at the same time, your teeny tiny effects will oppose each other, so there would be even less change; on average, with everyone running around in all directions, it probably nets about zero; it certainly does average out to zero over time.

Your own momentum may cause you to fall over if you come to a stop fast enough, but that momentum gets returned to the Earth (from whence it initially came) whether your Keds come to a screeching halt with you still upright or if you do a face plant.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 04:01:45 PM »

There is an entire branch of earth science called geodesy that is dedicated to the study of the size and shape of the earth.  Not only does this involve measuring the roundness of the earth, it also involves measuring just how far out of perfectly round the earth is.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Yendor

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »

Yes, I think I would if the ship was going 464 meters per second. Don't you?

Yeah, if you're running and suddenly come to a stop, the Earth's angular momentum will change very slightly, but not nearly enough for you or anyone else to notice - maybe one part in several million billion gazillion, depending on how fast you were running and how much you weigh. However, if someone else is running in the opposite direction and suddenly stops at the same time, your teeny tiny effects will oppose each other, so there would be even less change; on average, with everyone running around in all directions, it probably nets about zero; it certainly does average out to zero over time.

Your own momentum may cause you to fall over if you come to a stop fast enough, but that momentum gets returned to the Earth (from whence it initially came) whether your Keds come to a screeching halt with you still upright or if you do a face plant.

That all sounds good,but you are forgetting about speed. I don't care if you are on a big ball or the Earth. If you are spinning 464 meters per second and you suddenly stop, you will fall down. As you know this does not happen.
                              George Orwell

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »

Yes, I think I would if the ship was going 464 meters per second. Don't you?

That all sounds good,but you are forgetting about speed. I don't care if you are on a big ball or the Earth. If you are spinning 464 meters per second and you suddenly stop, you will fall down. As you know this does not happen.

Heck, you're forgetting about the orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun, too! That's what, about 30 km/sec!?!  Can't forget that can we? Actually, yes, we can, because neither of these matter.

Say you're an Olympic sprinter and can run the 100m in 10 seconds. You're at the Equator and start sprinting due east. Your speed relative to the surface (10 m/sec) coupled with the tangential speed of the ground due to the rotation of the Earth of 464 m/sec means you're now zipping along at a whole 474 m/sec wrt the center of the Earth instead of 464. Wow! Come to an abrupt halt (wrt the surface), and you're back down to 464 m/sec. You slowed from 10 m/sec to zero with respect to the stuff around you? What's the big deal?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mikey T.

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 04:34:19 PM »
Ok, lets try another way of thinking about it.  If you were on a train traveling at speed, doesn't really matter what it is.  You run forward with the train and stop, do you expect to feel all the momentum of that train on you at that instant?  No you would fly across the railcar.  If the train itself suddenly stopped though you would feel it.  Your motion relative to the train's motion would mean nothing as long as the train is in a constant motion with no acceleration or deceleration.
Also, understand that the 1000 mph figure is relative to the size of the Earth.  With a 24000 mile circumference, 1000 mph means one rotation per day.  Scale that down a bit for understand and see if you think something turning at 1 revolution per day would impart enough force on you that could be felt as you ride it? 
I thought I had covered this quite well in a couple of threads already.  I guess using math to explain something is rather incomprehensible to some here.

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »

You are still forgetting they are predictable based on latitude.

where omega is angular speed and phi is latitude.
They made an observation which is repeatable, once again does not prove the earth is a spinning ball, just means people can repeat based on observation.

It got there because the earth formed around it.
Once again, a theory with no proof.
It moves the way it because because the earth is in an non circular orbit around it.
The sun has a circumference of 4.379x106km.
No proof that the sun is that big.
It is a coincidence that the sun and moon appear the same size.
We are in orbit around the sun, out velocity keeps us from falling in.
Ah yes the magical gravity and velocity that somehow keeps everything just in perfect order. Seems a bit convineint to me. I choose not to blindly believe what other's tell me and you call me stupid for it. Do you not see the irony here?
All explainable.

ISS HD Earth Viewing Experiment on USTREAM: ***QUICK NOTES ABOUT HDEV VIDEO*** Black Image = International Space Station (ISS) is on the night side of the ...

I don't accept this as proof of anything. It can easily be faked.
The pendulum does spin with the earth, it just doesn't twist with the earth. There is no force acting on it to change it's swinging direction.

According to what I have read the earth supposedly spins underneath the pendulum. So if the earth is spinning at 1000 mph, shouldn't the pendulum be spinning that fast?
I suggest you do the same.
You don't use your brain, you repeat what others have said. The funny thing is you think you are smart for doing so.

Yendor

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
Ok, lets try another way of thinking about it.  If you were on a train traveling at speed, doesn't really matter what it is.  You run forward with the train and stop, do you expect to feel all the momentum of that train on you at that instant?  No you would fly across the railcar.  If the train itself suddenly stopped though you would feel it.  Your motion relative to the train's motion would mean nothing as long as the train is in a constant motion with no acceleration or deceleration.
Also, understand that the 1000 mph figure is relative to the size of the Earth.  With a 24000 mile circumference, 1000 mph means one rotation per day.  Scale that down a bit for understand and see if you think something turning at 1 revolution per day would impart enough force on you that could be felt as you ride it? 
I thought I had covered this quite well in a couple of threads already.  I guess using math to explain something is rather incomprehensible to some here.

I respect what you say, but when you say, "Scale that down a bit for understand and see if you think something turning at 1 revolution per day would impart enough force on you that could be felt as you ride it?" You have to know that anything going .288 miles per second is going to be felt if an abrupt change occurs. Everyone simply looks at 1 revolution a day because most have never been .288 miles per second, including me. If the Earth did spin at 1000 MPH, I doubt the atmosphere would still be there and we would be sucked into space, if it is a vacuum.
                              George Orwell