When Round Earth Theory Breaks Down

• 51 Replies
?

Itchy_Arris

• Infinite Earth Movement Leader
When Round Earth Theory Breaks Down
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »
I have just discovered something astounding!

According to the theorised globe earth map, if I leave the island of England here, and travel directly north, where would the first land I come across be? Norway? Iceland? Greenland?
No. According to Round Earth theory the first land I would come across is the far east of Russia! Near the Bering Strait!

I mean come on, Russia? Everyone knows that Russia is east of England, not directly north! There must be a wormhole teleportation thing a la JRowe's theory!
What goes up, must come down.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: When Round Earth Theory Breaks Down
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
The only map I've seen where that might be true is the Azimuthal Equidistant Projection, which is a) not completely accurate, and b) makes sense on a globe.
After all, if you start at a spot, and you burrow down through the sphere, there are multiple ways back: just head over the top, or head around the side, or...
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
Why do you think this is a problem? Look at a globe and find the shortest route from England to eastern Siberia.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »
Why do you think this is a problem? Look at a globe and find the shortest route from England to eastern Siberia.

Through the moleman tunnels.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:23:40 PM »
The only map I've seen where that might be true is the Azimuthal Equidistant Projection, which is a) not completely accurate, and b) makes sense on a globe.
After all, if you start at a spot, and you burrow down through the sphere, there are multiple ways back: just head over the top, or head around the side, or...

Why does it matter which map you use? You just follow the 0 longitude line around.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
If you left from north England and followed the prime meridian north, you would indeed reach russia. You can try if you want.
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

According to the theorised globe earth map, if I leave the island of England here, and travel directly north, where would the first land I come across be? Norway? Iceland? Greenland?
No. According to Round Earth theory the first land I would come across is the far east of Russia! Near the Bering Strait!
Just out of curiosity, where would you wind up on a flat earth map if you followed the same route?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Mikey T.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 12:53:07 PM »
More itchy failures.  I love em.  Keep them coming.
Looking at the Flat Earth map, holy cow, you would be roughly in the same place.
Now lets try that in the Southern Hemisphere.  OOPS.

hello_there

• Round Earther
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »

I mean come on, Russia? Everyone knows that Russia is east of England, not directly north! There must be a wormhole teleportation thing a la JRowe's theory!

I believe this is what you are talking about:
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/266/5UahhK.png

This is the explanation with RE model:
If you leave the Great Britain to the North and keep on going north, the furthest you can go is the North Pole (indicated by the green arrow). But if you keep on going anyway in the same direction, you are going south instead of north (indicated by the red arrow), since you are moving away from the north pole. And yes, you are gonna end up in the eastern part of Russia, and I don't see there's a problem with that.

So if you say that you are leaving Great Britain to the North, and keep on going to the same direction, then yes, you are going to end up in the eastern part of Russia. But you can't say that Russia is in the north of Great Britain, because while you are going there in this way, you are going north and south.

And by the way
Just out of curiosity, where would you wind up on a flat earth map if you followed the same route?
Looking at the Flat Earth map, holy cow, you would be roughly in the same place.

Surprise surprise, they are correct. With flat earth map, that is going to happen as well. If you leave the Great Britain to the north, keep on going the same way, you will end up in Russia as well.
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/6324/d5J4yA.png

Itchy_Arris, I'm expecting a better troll from you.

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »

There is no agreed flat earth map. The one I think you are referring to is totally wrong.

In IET the earth is roughly the same as the common wall map (with the Greenwich meridian in the centre, not the silly ones with USA in the centre) except that the Pacific encircles the whole map. And there are hidden continents.

Mikey T.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »
Yet neither IET or FET maps match up with reality.  Odd how a globe actually agrees with actually traversing the world.  Your's now has hidden continents too huh.   I guess Neverland must be one of them. 
Amazingly you still make claims that you never defend.  Troll behavior 101.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 06:28:45 AM »

There is no agreed flat earth map. The one I think you are referring to is totally wrong.

In IET the earth is roughly the same as the common wall map (with the Greenwich meridian in the centre, not the silly ones with USA in the centre) except that the Pacific encircles the whole map. And there are hidden continents.
What makes the Greenwich meridian the correct center for a flat earth map?  Where would you end up if you followed it north as in your OP?

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »

What makes the Greenwich meridian the correct center for a flat earth map?  Where would you end up if you followed it north as in your OP?

I don't believe the Greenwich meridian marks the centre of the earth. I think it's a bit east of that, running through East Africa. I believe this as this is where the first humans started, and we migrated out from there.

If you travel north from here, or anywhere, you would end up in the pacific ocean as it surrounds the earth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »
I don't believe the Greenwich meridian marks the centre of the earth. I think it's a bit east of that, running through East Africa. I believe this as this is where the first humans started, and we migrated out from there.

If you travel north from here, or anywhere, you would end up in the pacific ocean as it surrounds the earth.
Wouldn't Canada get in the way if you started further east?

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »

Cant you read? The pacific ocean surrounds the earth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »

Show me a map that proves it.

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:59 PM »

This thread is mistitled. As usual, it's the the flat-earth idea breaks down *again*, because the particular flavor of the flat-earth map used is critical to some particular situation. Do you think the flat earth itself changes depending on your starting and ending point? That would be a reason you don't have a single, consistent, map. Meanwhile the ol' globe just keeps spinnin' along on its annual journey around the Sun, as consistent as can be, with no need for teleportation to travel between any two points on the surface, no matter matter your origin or destination[nb]As far as the Earth is concerned. Political issues can prevent some travel, but the spherical Earth doesn't care about any of that. It doesn't change no matter who you are or where you're going.[/nb]. That's why so many of us like it - it seems far more consistent with everyday life.

This was a cute idea, but that's what happens when someone thinks a Mercator Projection of the globe is accurate for all purposes, like great-circle routes near the poles. It may be best to use actual globes for that, not projections - or at least not that one.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 12:40:14 AM »

How could an infinite Earth have a center?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 04:27:48 AM »

Take a standard wall map, then surround it with ocean. There's your map. Simple.

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 04:30:16 AM »

This thread is mistitled. As usual, it's the the flat-earth idea breaks down *again*, because the particular flavor of the flat-earth map used is critical to some particular situation. Do you think the flat earth itself changes depending on your starting and ending point? That would be a reason you don't have a single, consistent, map. Meanwhile the ol' globe just keeps spinnin' along on its annual journey around the Sun, as consistent as can be, with no need for teleportation to travel between any two points on the surface, no matter matter your origin or destination[nb]As far as the Earth is concerned. Political issues can prevent some travel, but the spherical Earth doesn't care about any of that. It doesn't change no matter who you are or where you're going.[/nb]. That's why so many of us like it - it seems far more consistent with everyday life.

This was a cute idea, but that's what happens when someone thinks a Mercator Projection of the globe is accurate for all purposes, like great-circle routes near the poles. It may be best to use actual globes for that, not projections - or at least not that one.

IET has a single, coherent map. And it works - you don't get magically transported across the world, unlike your globe.

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 04:32:03 AM »

How could an infinite Earth have a center?

Pedantry, the last resort of the beaten. I mean centre if the known world.

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 04:50:38 AM »

Take a standard wall map, then surround it with ocean. There's your map. Simple.
What, so I should take this:

And then surround it by ocean and I have a flat earth map  ??? ???
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 05:48:12 AM »

What, so I should take this:

And then surround it by ocean and I have a flat earth map  ??? ???

Oh, you think a globe is a wall map  ::). Typical roundie intellect.

Mikey T.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »
You think a wall map is accurate?  I guess this is another reason you think the Earth is flat. 
IET logic:
"Well it looks flat out my window and the maps that are printed on a flat piece of paper for me to be able to use easier than carrying a globe around is flat, therefore it must be flat.  Further since a flat map doesn't show an edge of the Earth, this means it must be infinite."
Is this a good representation of what you think?

I guess if I showed you a picture of a banana and you had never seen one in reality you would argue that they are flat too.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 08:16:55 AM »

Do you mean a Mercator projection of a globe map like this?

Wouldn't make westward travel from North America to Asia very inconvenient?

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »

Do you mean a Mercator projection of a globe map like this?

Wouldn't make westward travel from North America to Asia very inconvenient?

Why? Travel from NA to Asia involves crossing the Pacific, which should be surrounding the map.

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »
IET has a single, coherent map.

It does? Can we see it?

"I don't believe..." "I think..." "I believe..."

This doesn't sound very convincing that what you're proposing is the one true map. This sounds like you're describing the "bipolar-flat-earth" map centered on a longitude somewhat east of the Prime Meridian and, presumably, the equator (but you don't say that). The problem with this is the shortest route from Honolulu to Tokyo would be eastward, over North America. You may want to check, but I don't think airline or shipping companies go this way; they seem to think going west from Oahu to reach Japan is faster.

And it works - you don't get magically transported across the world, unlike your globe.

Why does anyone need to be "magically transported" to go from any point on the globe to any other? I suppose to someone from the 19th Century, a jet airliner would be a "magic transport", and since flat-earth ideas seem firmly rooted there, there's that. Nonetheless, it's not required to travel by jet, it's just very convenient and can be very inexpensive considering what you get. Jet travel might seem like magic (especially in First Class), but it's not magic.

?

Why-Am-I-Here?

• Massive ice wall? where?
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »
Returning to an earlier point, how do YOU know there are hidden continents? You are displaying another example of circular reasoning:

There are hidden continents because the earth is infinite. How do i know the earth is infinite? There are hidden continents. How do I know there are hidden continents? The earth is infinite. How come these have never been discovered previously, and how on earth did YOU discover them?

P.S. Excuse the lengthy circular reasoning explanation, but I didn't want a JRowe -Esque "Your circular reasoning doesn't make sense."
One day this argument will cease. Probably about two days after four horses of the apocalypse charge in and declare judgement day with fairies on their backs.

?

Itchy_Arris

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »

It does? Can we see it?

How many times do I have to repeat this? Take wall map and surround it completely with ocean. That's the map. I know you roundies are close-minded, but surely you can imagine that?

Yes I use terms like " I believe "when talking about ideas that have no evidence yet. It's called good science.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »

It does? Can we see it?

How many times do I have to repeat this? Take wall map and surround it completely with ocean. That's the map. I know you roundies are close-minded, but surely you can imagine that?

So basically this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/9355/8DjY1k.png

The red line represents the travel from Los Angeles to China in your model, which would take much longer then it actually does. Additionally, lands in the northern hemisphere are inflated, making Siberia, Greenland, and Canada look much larger then they actually are.
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar