Distance To The Horizon Computations : Round Earth-vs-Flat Earth

• 54 Replies

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Distance To The Horizon Computations : Round Earth-vs-Flat Earth
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 10:04:12 PM »
My posted ice wall photo represents "what could be" as explanation for how oceans remain viable on the Earth.  I have seen no rational argument that explains how they could remain deep and resident on a globe shaped Earth.
I guess you've never heard of gravity then, you know, what makes things fall down.
And on the Globe, down is towards the centre of the earth.

JackBlack

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 11:53:23 PM »
I've yet to interview Navy personnel regarding Earth shape but have met with commercial fishermen and tall ship captains who swear by a flat Earth due to their own experiences.
I call bullshit.

That last phrase is important when considering this "Manual for Lookouts." That manual could use some updating just like we recognize our Wiki may require updating.  Our motivation is our own experiences and your manual could benefit from our experiences, as well, and go through some necessary FET/Zetetic updating.
Except you are yet to provide any experiences which indicate Earth is flat which can be verified.

My posted ice wall photo represents "what could be" as explanation for how oceans remain viable on the Earth.  I have seen no rational argument that explains how they could remain deep and resident on a globe shaped Earth.
You mean you have seen no arguments which you accept as rational because you will never accept anything as rational.

All the evidence indicates gravity is real and is a force (real or apparent) that is proportional to the product of masses and inversely proportional to the distance between them squared.
That explains why the oceans stay on a round Earth.

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 12:03:39 AM »
I've yet to interview Navy personnel regarding Earth shape but have met with commercial fishermen and tall ship captains who swear by a flat Earth due to their own experiences.

That last phrase is important when considering this "Manual for Lookouts." That manual could use some updating just like we recognize our Wiki may require updating.  Our motivation is our own experiences and your manual could benefit from our experiences, as well, and go through some necessary FET/Zetetic updating.

I recall that scene in "Titanic" and do appreciate it's inclusion as an abstraction as great as your claim. 

Why do you insist on commenting? You only undermine FE more each time you spew your nonsensical drivel.

You're making this too easy.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 02:41:41 AM »

I recall that scene in "Titanic" and do appreciate it's inclusion as an abstraction as great as your claim. 

Why do you insist on commenting? You only undermine FE more each time you spew your nonsensical drivel.

We then anxiously await truthful proof of your round Earth? The task of educating round Earth believers to the facts of proper Earth shape is more difficult when the student has their hands over their eyes and ears.     

JackBlack

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 02:51:04 AM »
We then anxiously await truthful proof of your round Earth? The task of educating round Earth believers to the facts of proper Earth shape is more difficult when the student has their hands over their eyes and ears.     
You mean like this thread has been about?
The mere existence of the horizon which does not correspond to the same location for everyone proves Earth is round.

We aren't the one with our hands over our eyes and ears.

Also, this is a place for debate. Stop treating us like ignorant children that you are here to teach. Start defending your claims and rationally responding to our arguments.

54N

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 04:15:29 PM »
The horizon you are measuring the distance to is a product of your viewpoint of the spherical earth.
If the earth were flat there would be no horizon to measure.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
The crow's nest is designed to look over the bow of distant ships identifying individuals aboard as friend or foe.  The height of the nest improves the ultimate safety of the crew and vessel.

Obviously, people who sail the sea are aware the Earth is flat.  They observe and commit to the fact of a flat horizon recognizing variance in the atmoplane causing inconsistency when attempting mathematical application to stated observations.

Round Earth believers are sadly mistaken in their claims relative to the horizon and have plenty of opportunities to inquire with the sea faring community to confirm FE claims.     

Wow ! And a great  big LOL !

I am no expert and  I completed my enlistment in the United States Navy many years  ago.
But........I would highly recommend that you not tell  your story to anyone in the USN.
Just don't talk to any QMC or BMC if you value your life !

Oooooh !......I would hate to hear what their response would be.......LOL

If you are just trolling and trying to post the most nonsensical thing of which you can think or make up....
Congratulations ! You have done very well !

P.S. As I recall, I thnk I read something somewhere some time ago that you wouldn't even be able to see a horizon on a flat earth.
All you would see would be "an indistinct blur which fades away at an indefinite distance in all directions."
Some FE correct me if I got that wrong.

Go down to  the  shore on a clear day and tell me what you see. Then go to the top story of a hotel near the shore and tell me what you see.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:13:04 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »

If you ascribe to the old FE doctrine of denial of reality, very well if you are happy with it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:57:26 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »

That mention of the "Manual For Lookouts" is just more of your nonsense. It has been used for quite some time and has been proven to be accurate.

With all due respects  to you, I am still suggesting that you seek out a Chief Petty Officer Quartermaster (QMC) and/or a Chief Petty Officer Bo's'n Mate (BMC) and engage them in a friendly discussion of The Flat Earth and The Navy Manual For Lookouts for your suggestions for improvements for updating as you have mentioned. Cheers ! And I hope you enjoy your chat.They would have much more expertise on the subject of The Manual than I do.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:10:51 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »

That mention of the "Manual For Lookouts" is just more of your nonsense. It has been used for quite some time and has been proven to be accurate.

With all due respects  to you, I am still suggesting that you seek out a Chief Petty Officer Quartermaster (QMC) and/or a Chief Petty Officer Bo's'n Mate (BMC) and engage them in a friendly discussion of The Flat Earth and The Navy Manual For Lookouts for your suggestions for improvements for updating as you have mentioned. Cheers ! And I hope you enjoy your chat.They would have much more expertise on the subject of The Manual than I do.

Just repeating this for gotham in case he missed it or hasn't responded to my suggestion.

Chorus:

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »

What experience makes them think the earth is flat?  Measured distances?  Seeing the sun rise and set?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »

What experience makes them think the earth is flat?  Measured distances?  Seeing the sun rise and set?

That's why I am suggesting that they have a discussion with some Naval Personnel and report back on how things went.
Anyone on active or reserve duty or former veterans or retirees QMC's and/or BMC's. A Boot Camp Company Commander would be a good person to contact.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:57:39 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »

That's why I am suggesting that they have a discussion with some Naval Personnel and report back on how things went.
Anyone on active or reserve duty or former veterans or retirees QMC's and/or BMC's. A Boot Camp Company Commander would be a good person to contact.

If gotham doesn't want to do this, are there any FE's who would volunteer to do this ?

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »

Have you interviewed any Navy personnel lately and asked them if the earth is flat or a globe ?

Would you explain what changes you would make to the Navy Manual, in particular for the method for estimating the distance to the horizon ? Are you saying that you are smarter than the people in the Navy ?

Your photo might show "what could be" ....  if the earth was flat. Problem is.....the earth isn't flat..
I challenge you to prove that your photo is not just a cropped photo of an ice berg or an ice shelf.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:49:25 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

NAZA

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
The crow's nest is designed to look over the bow of distant ships identifying individuals aboard as friend or foe.  The height of the nest improves the ultimate safety of the crew and vessel.

Yeah it has nothing to do with seeing farther than those on deck.

Moron

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »
Quite a rough sea w/disturbed vision quality.  I do hope they have life jackets available.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »

Have you interviewed any Navy personnel lately and asked them if the earth is flat or a globe ?

Would you explain what changes you would make to the Navy Manual, in particular for the method for estimating the distance to the horizon ? Are you saying that you are smarter than the people in the Navy ?

Your photo might show "what could be" ....  if the earth was flat. Problem is.....the earth isn't flat..
I challenge you to prove that your photo is not just a cropped photo of an ice berg or an ice shelf.

I haven't interviewed Navy personnel yet but thanks for the contact assistance! Comparing notes on Earth shape can only help lead to resolution of "what shape It is" and no one is smarter than anyone else when it comes to these things. We all just want truth and proper answers.   

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
no one is smarter than anyone else when it comes to these things.
Well that is demonstrably false on several levels...

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »
no one is smarter than anyone else when it comes to these things.
Well that is demonstrably false on several levels...

At least in the United States Navy, there are many specialty ratings.
Each of those men in those ratings have to be smarter in their specialty than those in another rating.
That is why I suggested that you talk to a QM or BM or any other rating connected with "oceanic navigation."
They have to be proficient of the knowledge  in their rating  and that certainly depends on their knowing that the earth is a globe.
Unless you have been in the Navy, they would be smarter than you, gotham, when it comes to "oceanic navigation."
Talk to them.
You might learn something.
Oh.....forgot.
You are a "flat earth believer".
Maybe you wouldn't.......???
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:45:22 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »

Yeah it has nothing to do with seeing farther than those on deck.

Moron

How can you see the persons on the deck of that ship ?

If the earth is flat that ship is sinking.
If that ship wasn't sinking you could see the whole ship down to the waterline  - hull to mast.
If the earth is flat , you can't see the men on deck.
That ship is sinking and those men on the deck have drowned.
Unless you ascribe to Rowbotham's " Laws Of Perspectives".
The bottoms of things get smaller and disappear before the tops of things.

If the earth is round that ship is just beyond the horizon.
The men (friend or foe) are safe on deck.
You can't see them because they are hidden due to the curvature of the earth.
The hulls of ships disappear first and the last you see is the tops of their masts as they disappear over the horizon as is shown in the photograph.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:59:45 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »
Maybe you just need a bigger telescope?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »

That's right !!!
There isn't any information on what lens was used for that photograph.
But on a 35 millimeter old film camera a 55 mm lens was about "normal" , or what the naked eye sees.
Now flat earth says that if you see a ship like that with the naked eye, you can bring the whole ship back into view if you look at it with a telescope.
So if that photograph was taken with a "normal" 55 mm lens, if you changed to a telephoto lens - say a 500 mm or 600 mm lens - you should have been able to get a picture of the whole ship - from the bottom of the hull at water line to the tops of the masts.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:32:16 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
Quite a rough sea w/disturbed vision quality.  I do hope they have life jackets available.

Doesn't look rough to me.
The sea looks bright because it looks as if it was dark beyond the horizon and the exposure was made to show the ship beyond the horizon.
I see no large waves to indicate a rough sea.
Looks relatively calm to me.
Maybe a little choppy at most.
Looks just like a picture taken with bright sunlight on the water.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:25:30 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

JackBlack

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 09:25:08 PM »
Quite a rough sea w/disturbed vision quality.
None of that statement matches the photo.
There is no indication of rough seas or poor vision quality.

We all just want truth and proper answers.
Bullshit. If that was true you wouldn't be here spouting such crap and pretending Earth is flat.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2017, 09:43:15 PM »
Quite a rough sea w/disturbed vision quality.
None of that statement matches the photo.
There is no indication of rough seas or poor vision quality.

We all just want truth and proper answers.
Bullshit. If that was true you wouldn't be here spouting such crap and pretending Earth is flat.

If you really just wanted truth you would take my suggestion and talk to some "real sailors" in the Navy.....But they would give you proper answers and  I assure you they wouldn't be "flat earth" answers.

We all know the earth isn't flat, but if you want to pretend that you believe the earth is flat , which we think that all of you flat earthers do, we round earthers will just go along with your act and enjoy our fun . Cheers ! And thanks for the entertainment !
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:00:25 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus: