Questions about our moon

• 79 Replies
Re: Questions about our moon
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
in order not to emit light it should be as massive as a black hole. every other object emits light...even when it is Vantablack.
Vantablack is a horrible comparison to make. It is nothing like a black hole.
Vantablack is one of the closest thing we have to a black body.
It still emits light, it is just too cold to emit in the visible spectrum.

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
In situations with something other than the moon causing solar eclipses it's put down to the Black Sun, and that's primarily the province of Sandokhan.

Don't invoke him! He'll post that bloody picture of the guy skiing towards a photoshopped disc again!
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

napoleon

• The Earth is not round, nor flat. It is a Donut...
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »
off topic (just because you asked for it):
in order not to emit light it should be as massive as a black hole. every other object emits light...even when it is Vantablack.
but let us say, it emits no light for some unknown reason. It's presence in the sky blocks out stars behind it...so indirectly it is still visible.
There is a tremendous difference between emitting light and reflecting light.
this is exactly what I meant with you being a nitpicker.
I am well aware of the difference between emitting and reflecting light..so does everybody else here.
pointing this out to me
  • does not bring the discussion further. it is just an attempt to derail it in order not having to confess you are defending a lost cause and losing too much credibility
  • does not make you smart. a smartass at most
besides, it was you who started using the word "emitting" instead of "reflecting".
see here it the very link you provided yourself:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71053.msg1977100#msg1977100
I knew what you meant right away, therefore didn't bother to correct you because of reasons mentioned above.

back to the topic.
if it orbits around the sun very closely to it...it should be almost as big as the sun in order to block all the light towards the sun...otherwise the moon will still be lit by the partial blocked sun.
You are the only one expecting it to block the light of the Sun. As I've pointed out repeatedly that's not what the shadow object is used for.
In situations with something other than the moon causing solar eclipses it's put down to the Black Sun, and that's primarily the province of Sandokhan. As far as lunar eclipses go the whole point is that some light reaches the moon.
Of course that was just a typo. I meant to say towards the moon...not towards the sun. but OK, have it your way...
with lunar eclipses also. if the shadow object orbits around the sun very closely to it...it should be almost as big as the sun in order to block all the light towards the moon...otherwise, the moon will still be lit by the partial blocked sun.

this one is weird. the original moon explains the tides with it's gravitational pull perfectly.
Under RET.

FE usually does not believe in this gravitational force....therefore they try to explain the phenomenon by introducing a new unknown object, the anti-moon.
but if this anti-moon also uses gravitational force to explain tides...then we are back to the beginning.
hope you understand what I mean.
I understand what you mean, that's just a straw man of FET. Plenty of FE models involve some form of gravity, whether it's between the stars to cause celestial gravitation/gears, or from the Earth in some infinite plane model. It's just often said to be either less than RET predicts, only caused by specific elements, or in the case of the Earth balanced by some other force keeping the Earth flat.
Not all use it, sure, but it's not that bizarre for an FE model to appeal to gravity.
Never argue with an idiot...
First they will drag you down to their own level,
and then they beat you by experience...

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 05:40:15 AM »
I knew what you meant right away, therefore didn't bother to correct you because of reasons mentioned above.
...You can't say you knew what I meant when you spent a fair bit of time talking about something that didn't reflect light needing to be a black hole.

Of course that was just a typo. I meant to say towards the moon...not towards the sun. but OK, have it your way...
with lunar eclipses also. if the shadow object orbits around the sun very closely to it...it should be almost as big as the sun in order to block all the light towards the moon...otherwise, the moon will still be lit by the partial blocked sun.
The moon is lit by a partially blocked Sun. That is the definition of a lunar eclipse.

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
...You can't say you knew what I meant when you spent a fair bit of time talking about something that didn't reflect light needing to be a black hole.
Yes, as no object is perfectly black, and a perfectly black object would emit light.
You need it to be a black hole to make it so it wont reflect any light or emit any it has absorbed.

The moon is lit by a partially blocked Sun. That is the definition of a lunar eclipse.
That would be a partial lunar eclipse. In order for it to be a total lunar eclipse you need to block all the light from the sun that reaches the moon. If the shadow object is right next to the sun, it needs to be roughly as big as the sun.
If it is right next to the moon, it needs to be roughly as big as the moon.
If it is somewhere in between, then it can be an intermediate size.

napoleon

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 12:16:51 AM »
talking about a bad argument
OK, with this discussion I just learnt to keep my posts as short as possible to give you less opportunity to avoid or deflect anything.

here is the quote where you accused me for not knowing the difference between emitting and reflecting.

but let us say, it emits no light for some unknown reason. It's presence in the sky blocks out stars behind it...so indirectly it is still visible.

here is the quote where you are talking about a shadow object emitting no light instead of reflecting:
Anti-Moon and Shadow Object

In some models these are the same object, while in others they are entirely distinct.

The shadow object is a celestial body that, as the name suggests, emits no light. It travels across the sky and can only be detected by the absence of light, making it very difficult to observe.
as you can see it is yourself who appearantly does not know the difference between emitting and reflecting.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:35 AM »
OK, with this discussion I just learnt to keep my posts as short as possible to give you less opportunity to avoid or deflect anything.

here is the quote where you accused me for not knowing the difference between emitting and reflecting.
Because I tend to expect the people that read my posts to actually put in a little thought. If I say an object's black I don't mean it absorbs 100% of the light that hits it, I mean it looks black. If you want to overthink the slightest semantic quirk you can object to pretty much everything, and it's a ridiculous way of acting.
Are you seriously going to accuse me of deflecting when that's your argument?

napoleon

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »

Because I tend to expect the people that read my posts to actually put in a little thought. If I say an object's black I don't mean it absorbs 100% of the light that hits it, I mean it looks black. If you want to overthink the slightest semantic quirk you can object to pretty much everything, and it's a ridiculous way of acting.
no no no no no...I did not overthink anything...it was you with your smartass argument saying:
Not me. So you are accusing me for not knowing the difference, but you make that mistake yourself.
I was merely using your words in my post because it was convenient...not because I was overthinking the slightest semantic quirk.

Besides, I totally agree with nightsky about you being a very unpleasant person to debate with. every discussion with you gets derailed and boiles down to a discussion about semantic quirks.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 07:18:49 AM »

napoleon

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
you really don't have to repeat your posts.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »
you really don't have to repeat your posts.
Evidently I do given the entire thing went ignored.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
If the moon was emitting its own light, it would not have shadows on its surface.

Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »
If the moon was emitting its own light, it would not have shadows on its surface.

Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

Werenasa XXII - Register here https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=86459.0

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »

This is correct, which is why the flatties claim the shadows are Areas Without Moonshramps that just happen to be the exact shape that would match a shadow cast by a peaked Area With Moonshramps. Apparently, this is simple coincidence.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . .
That would be a partial lunar eclipse. In order for it to be a total lunar eclipse you need to block all the light from the sun that reaches the moon. If the shadow object is right next to the sun, it needs to be roughly as big as the sun.
If it is somewhere in between, then it can be an intermediate size.

How can you continue to quibble about the little things and, like all FEers, completely ignore the logic of:
Quote from: JackBlack
If the shadow object is right next to the sun, it needs to be roughly as big as the sun.

Thw Wiki claims:
Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
The Lunar Eclipse

A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.

This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5į10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node). Within a given year, considering the orbitals of these celestial bodies, a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur. Despite the fact that there are more solar than lunar eclipses each year, over time many more lunar eclipses are seen at any single location on earth than solar eclipses. This occurs because a lunar eclipse can be seen from the entire half of the earth beneath the moon at that time, while a solar eclipse is visible only along a narrow path on the earth's surface.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.

This is totally impossible and I have tried to point this out numerous times, some directly to you but to no avail.

But all you seem able to do is quibble over trivia!

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2017, 05:11:46 AM »

This is correct, which is why the flatties claim the shadows are Areas Without Moonshramps that just happen to be the exact shape that would match a shadow cast by a peaked Area With Moonshramps. Apparently, this is simple coincidence.
And the shadows just happen to also change shape and length just as if it was cast by the sun.

Also, even areas not lit by the sun are still lit by earthshine, and can be exposed for in a camera.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:17:14 AM by Denspressure »
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »
I thought you were making the opposite argument to the one that's now clear, my mistake.

If you're asking about FEers, the shadow object doesn't seem to be used for solar eclipses, at least not most of the time. It's primarily the explanation for lunar.

I must add this to the list...shadow moon.....so dark no one can see it apart from Jane. Aparently she sees other things that are not there.
Hands up who has seen the shadow moon?
Hands up who has seen Superman?
What have superman and the shadow moon in common?
Correctomundo...both fictional.
I think we can safely say as no sane human being has ever seen the shadow moon then it canít exist and there is no point talking any more about it.
This is the irony of the flattard..they go on about only believing what your senses tell you, but when thatís inconvenient, they just make shit up.....like shadow moons that are all dark and no one can see them!.......apart from Jane. Still seeing those creatures crawling up you walls?.....I wouldnít worry itís just Hoppy and J Rowe fooling around or it could be evil spirits. Possibly they are responsible for you bad moods.

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »
Forgive me for double posting but Janeís dark moon vision is really interesting. The normal moon the one we can all see has an Albedo of about 0.136 and charcoal is the lowest I could find at 0.04. Now comets have an Albedo the same as charcoal or near enough, but we can still see them. Janeís shadow moon however canít be seen and therefore must be made of a material with an Albedo approaching zero, so what could that be? A material previously unknown to science. It has also not been detected by any earth based telescope so must not emit any detectable electromagnetic radiation or have any kind of magnetic field. Janeís dark moon must be made of some really far out shit. If you think about it itís gravitational effect must also be zero, otherwise it would throw the orbit of both us and the moon into chaos......so what could it be made from.
Iíll open the betting and say itís made from incinerated pixie dust overlaid with cremated unicorns. Well all the unicorns had to go somewhere, so why not Janeís shadow moon...makes sense, well at least in a flattard sense, and fits in well with DET, nazi penguins, denpressure and all thT other Uber cool flattard stuff.

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
Superman doesn't exist??  :'( So it's come to this

Screw you all then. I'm hanging up my spandex undies and any problem you have you can deal with it yourself!

What a hide to call me fictional! I made wearing undies on the outside popular FFS!

Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

Werenasa XXII - Register here https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=86459.0

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
Superman doesn't exist??  :'( So it's come to this

Screw you all then. I'm hanging up my spandex undies and any problem you have you can deal with it yourself!

What a hide to call me fictional! I made wearing undies on the outside popular FFS!

So sorry to break it to you like this. But if it makes you feel better Jane, SCG and Hoppy have all agreed to wear thier pants....or if you are of the USA persuasion briefs over their trousers, or pants if you are of the USA persuasion....wow this is complex.....hold on just heard from Hoppy he prefers the commando look! So watch out!