The simplest argument for a round earth

• 70 Replies

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
The simplest argument for a round earth
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »
The higher you climb the further you can see. 

That's not possible on a flat earth.  That's it,   case closed,  now can we all go off to the pub?

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Re: The simplest argument for a round earth
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »
There is a lot more to see than what you can see through your window.

[Edit] Revised.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:01:50 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:21:28 PM »
Also, sunsets.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »
On a clear day the horizon is sharp,  not blurred by distance.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:42:32 AM by Rayzor »

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 12:30:33 AM »
I can fly to Australia or South America without going into the northern hemisphere
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 12:38:49 AM »
GPS works, satellite TV works, satellite phones work, and you can see satellites flying over head.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:42 AM »
The stars in the southern hemisphere rotate clockwise about the south celestial pole.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 12:59:01 AM »
The stars in the southern hemisphere are noticeably different than the stars in the northern hemisphere
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:01:10 AM »
Ships appear over the horizon top first.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 05:02:38 AM »
The higher you are the later the sun sets,  and the earlier it rises.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 05:10:20 AM »
If I head off in one direction, say East, and never deviate from my course I will eventually end up back where I started.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 05:19:58 AM »
If I head off in one direction, say East, and never deviate from my course I will eventually end up back where I started.

The flat earthers will say that  East or West  circumnavigation  is just travelling in a circle around the north pole,  if you changed it to North South,  that would eliminate that objection.

If I head off in one direction, say South, and never deviate from my course I will eventually end up back where I started.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 12:40:47 PM »
Stars have a constant angular distance and the Moon is always seen from the same perspective regardless of you position.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 01:00:48 PM »
All of your arguments if you were truly researchers can be answered in different ways.
but you are paid shills to market us the round earth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »
If I head off in one direction, say South, and never deviate from my course I will eventually end up back where I started.
Incorrect.  You would eventually wind up at the south pole.  After that, you would need to head north until you reach the north pole then south again to reach your original starting point.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »
All of your arguments if you were truly researchers can be answered in different ways.

Alright, how do you explain that stuff then?

Wouldn't it just be much simpler to say that the Earth is round rather then your many and no doubt complicated explanations?

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »

Wouldn't it just be much simpler to say that the Earth is round rather then your many and no doubt complicated explanations?
would it be more honest to contemplate all the options ? and not to say the earth is round just because you want it to be round.
People came up with other explanations for your "evidences" and there are many others explanation you should do a research and not to say the earth is round.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »
Gravity varies between the poles and equator as we would expect on an oblong spheroid.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »
There are hours of zero-G footage of astronauts/ISS in orbit. Complete with every detail you would expect to see in the footage. The time and effort it would take to fake the footage is so astronomical, it would be easier to actually just go to orbit....

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »

would it be more honest to contemplate all the options ? and not to say the earth is round just because you want it to be round.
People came up with other explanations for your "evidences" and there are many others explanation you should do a research and not to say the earth is round.

The Earth is not flat just because you want it to be flat.  All flat Earth explenations I have seen are horrifically complicated, so much so that math can't explain them.

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 03:54:57 PM »

Why would we "want" the Earth to be round (spherical, actually) if it weren't? We say the Earth is spherical because it is spherical.

Care to list some of those other explanations? Maybe you know of a new one. Not a one I've seen has any merit whatsoever. None.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »

Why would we "want" the Earth to be round (spherical, actually) if it weren't? We say the Earth is spherical because it is spherical.

Care to list some of those other explanations? Maybe you know of a new one. Not a one I've seen has any merit whatsoever. None.
There is no chance in the world that the earth is flat ?

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »

The earth is flat if it is possible to be.
It isn't possible. Therefore it isn't.
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 05:01:35 PM »

The earth is flat if it is possible to be.
It isn't possible. Therefore it isn't.
Really . Funny how Google  maps since they up dated the satalite images in my area ,have creeks & some roads running through houses . Bridges in the wrong place . It isn't possible. Liar!!!!!!
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 05:38:06 PM »

I didn't say that, but we need some reason to think it is before giving that idea any serious consideration. Do you have some unambiguous evidence that the Earth is flat? There's lots of evidence that's easily explained if it's spherical. None of this evidence is easily explained (or explainable at all) if it were flat.

Do you have something new (new evidence or new explanation for established evidence) that favors a flat earth over a spherical one? I, for one, am all ears.

If you have such evidence or model, let's hear it!

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:37 PM »
Really . Funny how Google  maps since they up dated the satalite images in my area ,have creeks & some roads running through houses . Bridges in the wrong place . It isn't possible. Liar!!!!!!

An error on a map affects the shape of the Earth?

Sorry, charles... this sounds like voodoo, where sticking a pin in a replica of someone is supposed to cause them harm. Do you believe this?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 06:07:47 PM »
The simplest of arguments...
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

guv

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 06:23:15 PM »
The simplest of arguments...

Fake NASA photo man.

Mikey T.

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »

An error on a map affects the shape of the Earth?

Sorry, charles... this sounds like voodoo, where sticking a pin in a replica of someone is supposed to cause them harm. Do you believe this?
Voodoo lol no thats old school know they just infect you with a nasty hard to get rid of flew bug . The only zombies I know of ,are crack meth heads & people who think they landen a man on the moon. The fact you spherical spinners , base so much of your fact on satalites proving the  earth to be spherical.  Its worthy of mention , that the maps & supposed satalite photos are  way out of wack .but the gps is still working fine . So how can that be?
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…: