Is horizon always at eye level?

• 93 Replies
Is horizon always at eye level?
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
If the earth is flat, the horizon will always be at eye level (when you look forward at an angle perpendicular to your own stature). And if the earth is round, the horizon is always below the eye level however, standing on the ground this angle is so small to be noticeable therefore you need a tool like theodolite to measure this elevation angle. Unless you're a surveyor, theodolite doesn't always come handy. Fortunately, if you have a smartphone there are plenty of apps like one below for Android which does the same job:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glidelinesystems.dioptra

which gives you a display like this:

The elevation angle is on the right hand side of the display. Left hand side shows how tilted is your phone. If you don't want to show your location, just turn of your GPS before taking a screenshot. It's now very easy to see whether the horizon is at or below eye level, the higher you get the more below eye level it gets if the earth is round.
I think, therefore I am

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
Re: Is horizon always at eye level?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 02:10:03 PM »
now compare with this photo:

That's strange... the ground at the base of the World Trade Center should be the highest point of the ball, but the Horizon is HIGHER than the top of the Skyscraper....  ???
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 02:27:26 PM »
Triangles, how do they work?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 02:42:10 PM »

That's strange... the ground at the base of the World Trade Center should be the highest point of the ball, but the Horizon is HIGHER than the top of the Skyscraper....  ???
What's strange? How do you know that? Do you know the ground elevation at the base of the tower? How about the elevation of the range on the horizon?

How high is the picture taken from? How tall was the skyscraper at the time? Can you tell it's under construction in the photo?

Do you have a point, other than the obvious one that you're confused?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

?

tappet

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 02:45:36 PM »

Exactly, and if you look down from the viewing point you see the ground, you then tilt your head back and look up to see the horizon at eye level. Raise your altitude and the horizon comes up again to meet your eye.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/punkboi/punkboi2/main2_1WTC_spire1-01_zps95bec916.jpg

Are you trying to derail my thread or are you finding it hard to understand what the elevation of the horizon means? In either case, please focus.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:26:19 PM by Cartesian »
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/punkboi/punkboi2/main2_1WTC_spire1-01_zps95bec916.jpg

Exactly, and if you look down from the viewing point you see the ground, you then tilt your head back and look up to see the horizon at eye level. Raise your altitude and the horizon comes up again to meet your eye.
What you're doing is actually looking up to see the horizon and think that's eye level. That's wrong. What you need to do is to first look forward at an angle perpendicular to your own stature and then see where the horizon is compared to your eye level. Or better, use theodolite or a similar app. You do have a smartphone don't you?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:33:00 PM by Cartesian »
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
If the earth is flat, the horizon will always be at eye level (when you look forward at an angle perpendicular to your own stature). And if the earth is round, the horizon is always below the eye level however, standing on the ground this angle is so small to be noticeable therefore you need a tool like theodolite to measure this elevation angle. Unless you're a surveyor, theodolite doesn't always come handy. Fortunately, if you have a smartphone there are plenty of apps like one below for Android which does the same job:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glidelinesystems.dioptra

which gives you a display like this:

The elevation angle is on the right hand side of the display. Left hand side shows how tilted is your phone. If you don't want to show your location, just turn of your GPS before taking a screenshot. It's now very easy to see whether the horizon is at or below eye level, the higher you get the more below eye level it gets if the earth is round.
Good idea! I'm going to download an app like this and look toward the sea from a mountain :D
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »

The camera is clearly above the WTC and looking slightly down on it.  You cannot tell the angle of the horizon in a photo unless you know for a fact that the camera was perfectly level when it was taken.  If you don't believe me, have a look at this photo:

The horizon apears to be WAY below eye level, how could that be?  Answer: the camera is facing up at an angle.  I am really surprised that I actually have to explain this concept that a toddler can understand.  In the words of Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity.".
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

tappet

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »
Go and experience reality lads. The horizon is always at eye level. Be it on a beach, on a mountain or in an aeroplane.
Now you lot tell me its not, so I can laugh at you again.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 06:54:31 PM »
Go and experience reality lads. The horizon is always at eye level. Be it on a beach, on a mountain or in an aeroplane.

OK. It's not.

Try accurately measuring it sometime. Until then, ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your bliss; laugh away.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

?

tappet

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »

OK. It's not.

Try accurately measuring it sometime. Until then, ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your bliss; laugh away.
There is nothing to measure, only open your eyes.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 07:30:25 PM »
The only reason there is a horizon at all is because the earth's surface curves away from you. 

The flat earth answer to this is vanishing perspective,   which can be easily proved false using a telescope.

If I wanted to prove flat earth, this is about the weakest argument you could pick.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

?

tappet

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 07:35:07 PM »
The only reason there is a horizon at all is because the earth's surface curves away from you. 

The flat earth answer to this is vanishing perspective,   which can be easily proved false using a telescope.

If I wanted to prove flat earth, this is about the weakest argument you could pick.
There is no vanishing perspective.
The horizon begins at your feet comes up on an angle to your eye level.
Raise altitude and the horizon line will be further away.
Creating an optical illusion.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »

The camera is clearly above the WTC and looking slightly down on it.  You cannot tell the angle of the horizon in a photo unless you know for a fact that the camera was perfectly level when it was taken.  If you don't believe me, have a look at this photo:

The horizon apears to be WAY below eye level, how could that be?  Answer: the camera is facing up at an angle.  I am really surprised that I actually have to explain this concept that a toddler can understand.  In the words of Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity.".
You snob and liar.

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »

OK. It's not.

Eyes open. See horizon.

Can your eyes tell if the horizon is dead level or a small angle below level? Have you confirmed this with measurements? It doesn't sound like you have.

Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your bliss.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 11:12:58 PM »

OK. It's not.

You seem to be reluctant to adopt modern technology. I am really curious, are you an Amish by any chance?
I think, therefore I am

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »

You snob and liar.

I do not follow your logic.

?

guv

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 12:08:46 AM »

You are rattling Tappet. Geometry seems to have escaped you. Your eye level is on the piss.   

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 01:24:59 AM »
Good idea! I'm going to download an app like this and look toward the sea from a mountain :D

Yes it will be fun to see whether we live on a flat earth, round earth or even concave earth :)
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 01:29:49 AM »

Eye level is defined as the level of the eyes looking straight ahead. But do you know when you are looking exactly straight ahead or at an angle? If you can't calculate the distance of a tree just by looking at its base (assuming the tree and you are both on a flat surface), then you can't tell whether you are looking exactly straight ahead or not which means you don't know what eye level is.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:24:29 AM by Cartesian »
I think, therefore I am

?

tappet

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 01:49:40 AM »

You are rattling Tappet. Geometry seems to have escaped you. Your eye level is on the piss.
Yeah lets all sit down and do some geometry so we can show Tappet when he looks out the aeroplane window the horizon is not really at his eye level, its really way down low cause we are on a ball remember. Tappets looking at it all wrong cause we have math to prove it.

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »

Yeah lets all sit down and do some geometry so we can show Tappet when he looks out the aeroplane window the horizon is not really at his eye level, its really way down low cause we are on a ball remember. Tappets looking at it all wrong cause we have math to prove it.

Just use the app tappet. No maths required.
I think, therefore I am

?

tappet

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 02:46:39 AM »

Just use your eyes bud, no app required.

?

guv

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 03:28:31 AM »

Too much gap on the exhaust Tappet, need to clean out the chamber if she is guna go. what the f../ is your eye level mine is 6'.
Cant be warring with a bloke who loves motors.

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:38 AM »
Tappet is excelling himself.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

tappet

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 03:34:12 AM »

Cant be warring with a bloke who loves motors.
Same here!

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 06:06:38 AM »
Tappet, you do realise that eye level is an arbitrary concept?
Unless you mean literally at eye altitude, in which case the truth seeker was right, the earth is concave.
All the horizon is is the point at which the curvature of the earth blocks view.
Saying that it is always at eye level is a bit retarded.
You do understand that there wouldn't be a horizon if the earth was flat anyway?
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 08:23:41 AM »

Just use your eyes bud, no app required.

Your eyes are not acurite enough to pick up the small angles involved.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
I took another shot of the horizon from 40th floor today:

Oh look the horizon is below eye level again. I love this app!! :P

[/flatearth]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:12:26 PM by Cartesian »
I think, therefore I am