Permanently Banning Trolls

• 6 Replies

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
Permanently Banning Trolls
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:30:24 AM »
Its obvious that temporarily banning trolls is not helping. We ban Truth Seeker, and he comes back. A troll is not going to learn their lesson. No amount of punishment is going to solve it, so just get them gone and out of our sight.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: Permanently Banning Trolls
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:20:51 AM »
The problem is: how do you tell who's a troll?
The fact this society exists is evidence enough that someone can hold something to be true that you find absurd, but still be genuine in their belief. You can point out one or two likely to be trolls, but you can't know for sure, and you'd just end up banning possibly one of the few sincere people here. Like JRowe: probably troll, but one of the fresher posters (in comparison to ckljamas etc).
I'd say yes to banning Truth Seeker, but that's nothing to do with how serious they are, it's to do with how every post they make is low-content, obnoxious, and just clutters up threads adding nothing.

Mind you, it's possible permabans are an admin-only ability: mods can just do temporary (if long-term) bans. In which case, the longest possible would suffice.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Misero

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »
Perhaps having FE'rs agree with the people saying they are a troll?
(And, I apologize for any mistakes in the OP, I did it on my phone.)

Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »
Perhaps having FE'rs agree with the people saying they are a troll?
I doubt they'd be exempt. EVen if you can find genuine FEers, they'd disagree with one another. Banning people for being trolls is just as likely to net false posititves as anything: better to ban people for the kinds of posts they make, rather than their sincerity.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »
They do not ban people permanently. The more members there are, the better for them. So they can say: Look what a popular forum we have! There must be something right with FE.

Misero

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
Don't get this sent to CN, please. This is a legitimate suggestion.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »
Don't get this sent to CN, please. This is a legitimate suggestion.

But a desperate one.