Chicago As Seen From Around South Lake Michigan

• 123 Replies
Re: Chicago As Seen From Around South Lake Michigan
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
HAHAha the flat earther the video above seems so convinced this video prove flat earth why is that ?

Because he is a troll. 20 miles doesn't produce a huge curvature. Not sure why you think it is huge.

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »
The arguments of flat earthers really seems not convincing enough for my taste,i know i supported flat earth but this photo show a drop by sure, i don't know how to explain this drop,why we can't see the bottom of the buildings so i assume there must be a drop it surely doesn't support flat earth moreover it support a curve.
What taste is that .... ::) I find it amazing that this curiture that  supposedly exists , seems to only be seen in one direction. Never horizontally .Which you would expect over a distance of that span  considering you have vertical standing buildings to gauge from. Theses mirages must be exstodanary at restoring vertical to ones veiwing prospective . ::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:13:35 PM by charles bloomington »
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
What taste is that .  ::) I find it amazing that this curiture that  supposedly exists , seems to only be seen in one direction. Never horizontally .Which you would expect over a distance of that span  considering you have vertical standing buildings to gauge from. Theses mirages are must be exstodanary at restoring vertical to ones veiwing prospective . ::)

...what?
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »
The arguments of flat earthers really seems not convincing enough for my taste,i know i supported flat earth but this photo show a drop by sure, i don't know how to explain this drop,why we can't see the bottom of the buildings so i assume there must be a drop it surely doesn't support flat earth moreover it support a curve.
What taste is that .... ::) I find it amazing that this curiture that  supposedly exists , seems to only be seen in one direction. Never horizontally .Which you would expect over a distance of that span  considering you have vertical standing buildings to gauge from. Theses mirages must be exstodanary at restoring vertical to ones veiwing prospective . ::)

Yes we realise you find it hard to understand.  You cannot even understand the simple topic of a compass.   

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
You have to admit the photos and the video i posted show a curvature so the world seems to be a globe.
Flat earth seems to be a illness of the mind that i suffered from.

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »
Flat earthing is a paranoia ?

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »
You have to admit the photos and the video i posted show a curvature so the world seems to be a globe.

Your use of language is poor.  You cannot 'see the curvature'.   You see 'the result of the curvature'
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:36:54 PM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »

Your use of language is poor.  You cannot 'see the curvature'.   You see 'the result of the curvature'
ok i put it wrong why the attack ?

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »

It is not an attack. It is an observation.  You seem to be getting confused because you are not thinking correctly.

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2015, 04:49:54 PM »

You seem to use offensive words although i support your world-view about the curvature of earth what's the matter with you ?

It is not an attack. It is an observation.  You seem to be getting confused because you are not thinking correctly.

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2015, 04:59:30 PM »

You seem to use offensive words although i support your world-view about the curvature of earth what's the matter with you ?

Nothing is the matter with me. 

I am not setting out to offend you.   It just seemed worth pointing out that your confusion appeared to be coming from the way you were thinking where you were using language incorrectly.

Use of language is a skill just like plumbing or engineering is a skill.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:01:33 PM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »
Just to remind you,English is not my tongue language,i struggle a lot with English yet you appear to understand what i say.

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »
Just to remind you,English is not my tongue language,i struggle a lot with English yet you appear to understand what i say.

My point is that i had absolutely no idea what you were trying to communicate to me earlier when you kept repeating how big the curve was.     

I thought it best to mention that you cannot see the curvature of the earth.

Almost certainly had I not experienced  huge difficulties understanding why you were thinking the buildings should be visibly leaning over due to the 'huge curvature' I would not have said anything about your poor use of language.

You are not reminding me either.  You say that when I have forgotten.   Instead of it being my fault - as your use of language implies - it was your fault for not mentioning it to me earlier when i had no idea what you were talking about. 

;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:12:59 PM by Aliveandkicking »

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/1TNr2lA.jpg
And?

Where did that "60 miles" come from, anyway? You ain't been doing so hot on distance measurements lately. How high above lake level was the photograph taken from? Did you actually read the comments below the picture, explaining why more was visible than usual, or just insert inane comments when you spied words and phrases that made your "flattie sense[nb]This is a reference to Spiderman, a comic-book superhero with spider-like powers. His "spidey sense" would alert him to trouble. Since you're from Central Europe, you wouldn't be expected to know about this (I hope).[/nb]" tingle?

modestman gets it. Where are the bottoms of those buildings from "60 miles" (or whatever they really are) away?

If the surface of that water was a flat plane, we should see the bottoms, but it's not, so we don't. The curvature of the surface of the water maintaining a constant elevation is what causes this. Simple.

But, hey! We're discussing Chicago from across the lake (topic). At least there's that!

From memory that picture is taken from a ginormous sand dune about 760 feet high.   Even so at that distance the camera would only see the very top of 440m Willis tower (Sears Tower)

Of course if the earth was flat no part of the buildings would be missing and you would be able to see the shore line and the hills behind the buildings.
There are not any 760' sand dunes in this part of USA, if any at all. I thought, from memory that the elevation was 20' or something.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/1TNr2lA.jpg
And?

Where did that "60 miles" come from, anyway? You ain't been doing so hot on distance measurements lately. How high above lake level was the photograph taken from? Did you actually read the comments below the picture, explaining why more was visible than usual, or just insert inane comments when you spied words and phrases that made your "flattie sense[nb]This is a reference to Spiderman, a comic-book superhero with spider-like powers. His "spidey sense" would alert him to trouble. Since you're from Central Europe, you wouldn't be expected to know about this (I hope).[/nb]" tingle?

modestman gets it. Where are the bottoms of those buildings from "60 miles" (or whatever they really are) away?

If the surface of that water was a flat plane, we should see the bottoms, but it's not, so we don't. The curvature of the surface of the water maintaining a constant elevation is what causes this. Simple.

But, hey! We're discussing Chicago from across the lake (topic). At least there's that!

From memory that picture is taken from a ginormous sand dune about 760 feet high.   Even so at that distance the camera would only see the very top of 440m Willis tower (Sears Tower)

Of course if the earth was flat no part of the buildings would be missing and you would be able to see the shore line and the hills behind the buildings.
There are not any 760' sand dunes in this part of USA, if any at all. I thought, from memory that the elevation was 20' or something.
Your memory of what? You didn't take the picture. That whole area where the picture was taken has many sand dunes.  I have seen them myself.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
another question:Mahrai ziller says and you probably say also that when you climb on a mountain by a global model you should see further away, bigger range, why then you won't notice the curvature ?

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2015, 12:13:59 AM »
another question:Mahrai ziller says and you probably say also that when you climb on a mountain by a global model you should see further away, bigger range, why then you won't notice the curvature ?

What do you mean notice the curvature?  What does the expression mean?  What is in your mind when you say that? 

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2015, 01:38:35 AM »

The Earth's diameter is 12742 km. If you're on top of a mountain 5 km tall, how do you expect to see the Earth is a ball? You're barely off the surface.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2015, 01:42:07 AM »

The Earth's diameter is 12742 km. If you're on top of a mountain 5 km tall, how do you expect to see the Earth is a ball? You're barely off the surface.

Why do roundies routinely claim that you can see the curvature of the Earth from a beach or even from a plane at cruising altitude? 

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2015, 01:57:30 AM »

Why do roundies routinely claim that you can see the curvature of the Earth from a beach or even from a plane at cruising altitude?
I'm not quite sure.
It's like they're lying to themselves.
I wonder why they'd have to do such a thing?

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2015, 02:27:12 AM »
I just watched the following video about the solar analemma.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Can anyone explain (alpha2omega, aliveandkicking etc) why the author is wrong? They claim this proves flat Earth.

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2015, 02:50:38 AM »

Can anyone explain (alpha2omega, aliveandkicking etc) why the author is wrong? They claim this proves flat Earth.

Mainly because he doesn't see that the analemma in the northern hemisphere is a mirrored graph of the one in the southern hemisphere. It's simply misinformation or stupidity.

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2015, 03:24:20 AM »

Mainly because he doesn't see that the analemma in the northern hemisphere is a mirrored graph of the one in the southern hemisphere. It's simply misinformation or stupidity.

Yeah, but could you please elaborate on that, as they made it appear as if indeed something is wrong with the analemma, so I want to know the details of why they are wrong.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2015, 03:44:10 AM »

On top of that :

If the earth is globular, the two ends east and west of the Isle of Wight would be 80 feet below the centre, and would appear in the field of view of the theodolite as represented in fig. 20. As a proof that such would be the appearance, the same instrument directed upon any object having an upper outline curved in the smallest degree, will detect and plainly show the curvature in relation to the cross-hair a b; or the levelled board employed in experiment 7, fig. 18, will prove the same condition to exist; viz., that the margin of the Isle of Wight is, for twenty-two miles, a perfectly straight line; and instead of curvating downwards 80 feet each way from the centre, as it certainly would if convexity existed, it is absolutely horizontal.

A line stretched horizontally before the observer would not only show the various elevations of the land, but would also show the declination of the horizon H, H, below the cross-line S, S. The fifty miles length of the Welsh coast seen along the horizon in Liverpool Bay, would have a declination from the centre of at least 416 feet (252 x .8 inches = 416 feet 8 inches). But as such declination, or downward curvation, cannot be detected, the conclusion is logically inevitable that it has no existence. Let the reader seriously ask whether any and what reason exists in Nature to prevent the fall of more than 400 feet being visible to the eye, or incapable of detection by any optical or mathematical means whatever. This question is especially important when it is considered that at the same distance, and on the upper outline of the same land, changes of level of only a few yards extent are quickly and unmistakably perceptible.

If he is guided by evidence and reason, and influenced by a love of truth and consistency, he cannot longer maintain that the earth is a globe. He must feel that to do so is to war with the evidence of his senses, to deny that any importance attaches to fact and experiment, to ignore entirely the value of logical process, and to cease to rely upon practical induction. READ MORE : http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za13.htm

"I can't breathe" George Floyd RIP

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2015, 03:54:52 AM »

Yeah, but could you please elaborate on that, as they made it appear as if indeed something is wrong with the analemma, so I want to know the details of why they are wrong.

For starters the claim made the analemma is upside down in Australia because of the law of perspective is totally stupid.    Start a thread if you want to pursue it.  It does not interest me to get into and do the research when flat earther cannot understand the the simplest possible of round earth proofs.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2015, 07:49:20 AM »

On top of that :

If the earth is globular, the two ends east and west of the Isle of Wight would be 80 feet below the centre, and would appear in the field of view of the theodolite as represented in fig. 20. As a proof that such would be the appearance, the same instrument directed upon any object having an upper outline curved in the smallest degree, will detect and plainly show the curvature in relation to the cross-hair a b; or the levelled board employed in experiment 7, fig. 18, will prove the same condition to exist; viz., that the margin of the Isle of Wight is, for twenty-two miles, a perfectly straight line; and instead of curvating downwards 80 feet each way from the centre, as it certainly would if convexity existed, it is absolutely horizontal.

A line stretched horizontally before the observer would not only show the various elevations of the land, but would also show the declination of the horizon H, H, below the cross-line S, S. The fifty miles length of the Welsh coast seen along the horizon in Liverpool Bay, would have a declination from the centre of at least 416 feet (252 x .8 inches = 416 feet 8 inches). But as such declination, or downward curvation, cannot be detected, the conclusion is logically inevitable that it has no existence. Let the reader seriously ask whether any and what reason exists in Nature to prevent the fall of more than 400 feet being visible to the eye, or incapable of detection by any optical or mathematical means whatever. This question is especially important when it is considered that at the same distance, and on the upper outline of the same land, changes of level of only a few yards extent are quickly and unmistakably perceptible.

If he is guided by evidence and reason, and influenced by a love of truth and consistency, he cannot longer maintain that the earth is a globe. He must feel that to do so is to war with the evidence of his senses, to deny that any importance attaches to fact and experiment, to ignore entirely the value of logical process, and to cease to rely upon practical induction. READ MORE : http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za13.htm
What do you think causes mirages?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2015, 08:03:23 AM »
http://i.imgur.com/jzWDAek.jpg
OK. ???

Would you please stick to one topic per post? The second part of this post clearly has little, if anything, to do with whatever it is you're trying to say in the image.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »
On top of that :

<obvious misrepresentation of facts>

I can't see what this part of your post has to do with Chicago As Seen From Around South Lake Michigan (topic.) Maybe this should be in its own thread.

If you don't see Mr. Rowbotham's obvious blunder in the material you cited, why not start a new thread for this topic and we can discuss it there. Since you're often bringing these "issues" up, maybe you could create a thread for "Rowbotham Says..." and the errors, misinterpretations, and misrepresentations in topics like this one could be discussed there. It ought to become spirited.

At any rate, as a courtesy to readers and as requested above, would you mind keeping to one topic in your posts? It makes the conversations easier to follow and the replies shorter.

[Edit] correct punctuation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:25:44 AM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2015, 11:15:03 PM »

What do you mean notice the curvature?  What does the expression mean?  What is in your mind when you say that?
I tell you something you are asshole i hope the earth is flat despite that what i said people like you are trash.

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2015, 11:42:50 PM »
I tell you something you are asshole i hope the earth is flat despite that what i said people like you are trash.

Easy there mate, trolling is about extreme patience, don't forget that.