ANTARCTICA MIDNIGHT SUN (ANOTHER SIDE OF THE COIN)

• 433 Replies
Re: ANTARCTICA MIDNIGHT SUN (ANOTHER SIDE OF THE COIN)
« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2015, 05:50:05 AM »
No mystery , good then it wont be to hard for  you to post a direction drawing of the vewing points of theses sun sets. So we can all get a better grasp of mapping it.

Wow, Charles you really are an asshole.   here's the sun position calculator,  now prove your theory and post the results.   http://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php

Bloomington silkpajamas and sceptimatic are the same troll

th3rm0m3t3r0 and jroa are trolls.   

I find it hard to believe jrowesceptic is not a troll but who knows what is possible.

As far as i can see there are no honest flat earth believers on this board

I do not exclude that some of the round earth people are also trolls who are here to divert attention when the trolls time wasting ploy is obviously failing
I dont think the judges are buying your plea bargan . You know the directions the sun to be setting . You know displaying a map of Australia with those direction  marked on it , puts what your claiming in to the realm of  totally unrationale . If pointing out the failings seen in your rational has upset you. Then maybe this forum is not for your temperament.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:53:01 AM by charles bloomington »
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2015, 06:02:40 AM »
No mystery , good then it wont be to hard for  you to post a direction drawing of the vewing points of theses sun sets. So we can all get a better grasp of mapping it.

Wow, Charles you really are an asshole.   here's the sun position calculator,  now prove your theory and post the results.   http://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php

Bloomington silkpajamas and sceptimatic are the same troll

th3rm0m3t3r0 and jroa are trolls.   

I find it hard to believe jrowesceptic is not a troll but who knows what is possible.

As far as i can see there are no honest flat earth believers on this board

I do not exclude that some of the round earth people are also trolls who are here to divert attention when the trolls time wasting ploy is obviously failing
I dont think the judges are buying your plea bargan . You know the directions the sun to be setting . You know displaying a map of Australia with those direction  marked on it , puts what your claiming in to the realm of  totally unrationale . If pointing out the failings seen in your rational has upset you. Then maybe this forum is not for your temperament.

Lets see:

1.  You are a silly troll with nothing to do but bait people or

2. You are the most stupid Australian of all time who even though he has travelled all over Australia he cannot understand the sun can be seen directly overhead a large portion of Australia at certain times of the year.

So which is it?

Moron option 1 or moron option 2?

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2015, 06:09:16 AM »

Is that some sort of pathetic joke ?Why every world map you're looking at is WRONG: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

You do know that video is based on the fact that the earth is a globe,  and the distortions come from the mercator projection onto a flat surface.

Sunset directions on December 21st   Summer Solstice
Broome Bearing 245 degrees.   25 degrees south of due west
Perth Bearing     242 degrees.    28 degrees south of due west
St Kilda Bearing 240 degrees.   30 degrees south of due west

Exactly as you would expect.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2015, 07:08:45 AM »

Is that some sort of pathetic joke ?Why every world map you're looking at is WRONG: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

You do know that video is based on the fact that the earth is a globe,  and the distortions come from the mercator projection onto a flat surface.

Care to draw that on the map so we can get a visual & then it canbe  compared to photo evidence .
You do realize that a mercator globe has distorted land mass . What is your calculate mapping using ?

When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2015, 07:14:03 AM »

Care to draw that on the map so we can get a visual & then it canbe  compared to photo evidence .
You do realize that a mercator globe has distorted land mass . What is your calculate mapping using ?

You can draw those directions on any map projection you like,   West is west.   

« Reply #215 on: May 10, 2015, 07:31:59 AM »

You can draw those directions on any map projection you like,   West is west.   
Draw it on the map & we will compare it with the photograph evidence.  Its that simple

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2015, 08:02:23 AM »
Draw it on the map & we will compare it with the photograph evidence.  Its that simple

So simple enough that a bogan ex-con like youself should be able to keep off the crystal meth long enough to draw it yourself.   Fuckwit.

« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2015, 08:55:11 AM »
What's really interesting is how you manage to misunderstand or misrepresent the obvious.

Why do you presume the top of the iceberg is a straight line? The top of the iceberg will be a constant few meters above the sea level curve if it's as uniform as described.

Alpha, are you talking to me?
Since the entire post this quote came from was in reply to an earlier post by you, which was referenced and attributed to you, and the text you ask about immediately follows your own drawing, shouldn't that be obvious, even to you? You really must have difficulty grasping the obvious. Should I call you out each time, even though it should be clear enough? That gets a little tedious to read, as well as to write. Maybe you can work on comprehension and save everyone else here some tedium? It can help you in other areas of your life, too.

Please link back to the post(s) you are quoting from at least once, especially if it was from many pages, or even a several posts, back. It's a courtesy so your readers can easily see the context, or pick up the thread of discussion. Conversely, making the original text harder than necessary to find looks like you're trying to hide something. You wouldn't want to do that, would you?

1. Regarding "A HUGE ICEBERGS" argument, and your question above, i can only ask you this:

If the shapes of all other types of icebergs (NON-tabular icebergs) don't follow the supposed curvature of the Sea LEVEL ("the curvature of the LEVEL", it figures, it say it all, :facepalm:),
For the same reason you don't think the tops of those icebergs are flat. They aren't parallel to the surface of the sea.

then why would any sane person expect that the formation of the general shape of TABULAR icebergs has anything to do with the supposed curvature of the Sea LEVEL (even if the Sea LEVEL were not the LEVEL at all, but a CURVE)
It's really obvious, but then, you obviously have problems grasping the obvious. The tabular icebergs spanning hundreds of km that you're carrying on about maintain more or less constant height above the level of the surrounding water. Constant height. Since the surface of the water is curved, then the surface of the ice is also curved. This curvature is too small to notice without careful measurement over short distances (i.e. several km).

Why do we say "Sea LEVEL", instead of "Sea CURVE", after all?
Because it's the datum that corresponds to the average level of the sea. The fact that this datum is curved is so obvious that there is no need to explicitly state it.

2. "A huge icebergs" argument is not the lonely argument in favor of FET, not at all, there are countless similar arguments:

A) ENGINEERING (Suez Canal - the best example of this kind)

The things are more satisfactory when the allowance of 8 inches to the mile is not permitted to enter into the calculations at all ; in fact in those cases where an allowance is made, every thing turns out most unsatisfactory.

The allowing then for convexity, or what was called by engineers "forward levelling," has given way to the method of "back-and-fore" sight", or "double sight,", where no allowance whatever is made for convexity.

It is customary in Railway and Canal constructions for all levels to be referred to a datum which is nominally horizontal, and is so shown on all sections. It is not the practice in laying out Public Works to make allowance for the curvature of the earth." — Manchester Ship Canal Co., Engineer's Office, 19th February, 1892!
If you're measuring your survey elevations in reference to a sea level or similar datum, the curvature is already accounted for. Adding it in again would be "most unsatisfactory".

B) OCEAN BEDS argument:

Not only that the Ocean Basin/Floor is not CONVEX shaped, it is not even FLAT shaped, but CONCAVE, exactly as we would expect from something that we call A BASIN!!!

Read more : http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62346.msg1648925#msg1648925

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62346.msg1650478#msg1650478

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62346.msg1649807#msg1649807

This is old news and long ago put to "bed". Why do you keep bringing this old crap back up. Nothing has changed. You're still wrong.

<obvious attempt at argument by fatigue, obnoxious comments, and random youtube links.>
The stuff omitted above are some old tired, and equally bogus, arguments. cikljamas (so you know who I'm talking to), if you really want to discuss any of old topics, please go back and read the replies already made to them first. Then, if you have any new insights or questions on one, resume it in the thread it was already in, or start a new one. This thread is supposed to be about the Antarctic Midnight Sun. Remember? You're the one who started it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
Alpha, are you talking to me?

1. Regarding "A HUGE ICEBERGS" argument, and your question above, i can only ask you this:

(basically a bunch of dis-proven or already explained copy-pasta stuff)
I'm sure you worked hard to compile all that into one post, but I don't think linking to a bunch of threads in which you are shown to be wrong is going to help your cause much.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #219 on: May 10, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »
The south pole exists,  and you can prove it yourself.   Qantas have flights over Antarctica every New Years Eve,  flights leave from Melbourne. flying   over small areas of Antarctica ,dosen't make Antarctica the south pole. Prove your logic ?
And flying over small parts of an island doesn't make it Australia. Shill.

« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
You really shouldn't believe every internet meme you come across cikl.  You realize that much on the internet is made up and those who don't dig deeper tend to fall for the tripe. 
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-theres-a-plot-in-this-country-to-enslave-every-man-woman-and-child-jfk.319/

A you would trust what mick west ? Who funds his sight .

?

BJ1234

« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2015, 09:48:51 AM »

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
You really shouldn't believe every internet meme you come across cikl.  You realize that much on the internet is made up and those who don't dig deeper tend to fall for the tripe. 
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-theres-a-plot-in-this-country-to-enslave-every-man-woman-and-child-jfk.319/

Well, since he supports his argument with citations, instead of just asserting, I will trust him over cikl. Or you, you shill.

« Reply #223 on: May 10, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
So what is point 'B'?

Why are you asking Mick West what he would trust?  I'm sure he's not lurking on this site.

Why does he need his sight funded?  Did he have expensive eye surgery?  How do you know this?

You're not making any sense Charles.  ???

?

BJ1234

« Reply #224 on: May 10, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »
So what is point 'B'?

Why are you asking Mick West what he would trust?  I'm sure he's not lurking on this site.

Why does he need his sight funded?  Did he have expensive eye surgery?  How do you know this?

That is because he doesn't think about what his controllers tell him to say.  They just drop off an envelope with the cash and he gets text messages of how to respond.  He is nothing but a shill.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
>For the same reason you don't think the tops of those icebergs are flat. They aren't parallel to the surface of the sea.<

In the most cases, they are parallel (more or less). Haven't you seen those pictures? Should i put them here again?

>The tabular icebergs spanning hundreds of km that you're carrying on about maintain more or less constant height above the level of the surrounding water. Constant height. Since the surface of the water is curved, then the surface of the ice is also curved. This curvature is too small to notice without careful measurement over short distances<

How is this in accordance with what you just have said (in a previous quote)? Are they parallel or not, at the end of the day? Alpha, what's going on with you? You are losing concentration, or what?

>If you're measuring your survey elevations in reference to a sea level or similar datum, the curvature is already accounted for. Adding it in again would be "most unsatisfactory".<

On several occasions the six miles of water in the old Bedford Canal have been surveyed by the so-called "forward" process of levelling, which consisted in simply taking a sight of, say 20 chains, or 440 yards, noting the point observed, moving the instrument forward to that point, and taking a second observation; again moving the instrument forward, again observing 20 chains in advance, and so on throughout the whole distance. By this process, without making allowance for convexity, the surface of the water was found to be perfectly horizontal. But when the result was made known to several surveyors, it was contended "that when the theodolite is levelled, it is placed at right angles to the earth's radius--the line of sight from it being a tangent; and that when it is removed 20 chains forward, and again 'levelled,' it becomes a second and different tangent; and that indeed every new position is really a fresh tangent--as shown in the diagram, fig. 9, T 1, T 2, and T 3, representing the theodolite levelled at three different positions, and therefore square to the radii 1, 2, 3. Hence, levelling forward in this way, although making no allowance for rotundity, the rotundity or allowance for it is involved in the process."

This is a very ingenious and plausible argument, by which the visible contradiction between the theory of rotundity and the results of practical levelling is explained; and many excellent mathematicians and geodesists have been deceived by it. Logically, however, it will be seen that it is not a proof of rotundity; it is only an explanation or reconciliation of results with the supposition of rotundity, but does not prove it to exist. The following modification was therefore adopted by the author, in order that convexity, if it existed, might be demonstrated. A theodolite was placed at the point A, in fig. 10, and levelled; it was then directed over the flag-staff B to the cross-staff C--the instrument A, the flag-staff B, and the cross-staff C, having exactly the same altitude. The theodolite was then advanced to B, the flag-staff to C, and the cross-staff to D, which was thus secured .as a continuation of one and the same line of sight A, B, C, prolonged to D, the altitude of D being the same as that of A, B, and C. The theodolite was again moved forward to the position C, the flag-staff to D, and the cross-staff to the point E--the line of sight to which was thus again secured as a prolongation of A, B, C, D, to E. The process was repeated to F, and onwards by 20 chain lengths to the end of six miles of the canal, .and parallel with it.

By thus having an object between the theodolite and the cross-staff, which object in its turn becomes a test or guide by which the same line of sight is continued throughout the whole length surveyed, the argument or explanation which is dependent upon the supposition of rotundity, and that each position of the theodolite is a different tangent, is completely destroyed. The result of this peculiar or modified survey, which has been several times repeated, was that the line of sight and the surface of the water ran parallel to each other; and as the line of sight was, in this instance, a right line, the surface of the water for six miles was demonstrably horizontal.

This mode of forward levelling is so very exact and satisfactory, that the following further illustration may be given with advantage.
In fig. 11, let A, B, C, represent the first position, respectively of the theodolite, flag-staff, and cross-staff; B, C, D, the second position; C, D, E, the third position; and D, E, F, the fourth; similarly repeated throughout the whole distance surveyed.

The remarks thus made in reference to simple "forward" levelling, apply with equal force to what is called by surveyors the "back-and-fore-sight" process, which consists in reading backwards a distance equal to the distance read forwards. This plan is adopted to obviate the necessity for calculating, or allowing for the earth's supposed convexity.

You can also use this method:

"I can't breathe" George Floyd RIP

« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »
When was this experiment last repeated?

« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »
I have been looking at my globe with a light to observe sunsets.   

I was wrong about westerly and north westerly sunsets at southern solstice

All sunsets south of the tropic of cancer are south western sunsets at southern solstice.

:-[

From the calculator at solstice sunset degrees:

Darwin 247 degrees

Exmouth WA 246 degrees

Perth WA 242 degrees

St Kilda   SA 242 degrees

Albany WA 241 degrees

Southern tip of Tasmania 237 degrees

Southern tip of Stewart island NZ  233 degrees

Exmouth WA 246 degrees

Perth WA 242 degrees

Albany WA 241 degrees

Southern tip of Stewart island NZ   233 degrees

Macquarie island Australia, half way between Australia and Antarctica at 54S 225 degrees

Macquarie station

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:38:47 PM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
So what is point 'B'?

That is because he doesn't think about what his controllers tell him to say.  They just drop off an envelope with the cash and he gets text messages of how to respond.  He is nothing but a shill.
Will you stop it with this shill nonsense .no one pays me to post anything. This is how you agenda21 scum work .Anyone that doesn't yeld to your organization. Its lies & propergander, you hound harass intimidate & do your utmost to standover.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »

On several occasions the six miles of water in the old Bedford Canal have been surveyed by the so-called "forward" process of levelling, which consisted in simply taking a sight of, say 20 chains, or 440 yards, noting the point observed, moving the instrument forward to that point, and taking a second observation; again moving the instrument forward, again observing 20 chains in advance, and so on throughout the whole distance. By this process, without making allowance for convexity, the surface of the water was found to be perfectly horizontal. But when the result was made known to several surveyors, it was contended "that when the theodolite is levelled, it is placed at right angles to the earth's radius--the line of sight from it being a tangent; and that when it is removed 20 chains forward, and again 'levelled,' it becomes a second and different tangent; and that indeed every new position is really a fresh tangent--as shown in the diagram, fig. 9, T 1, T 2, and T 3, representing the theodolite levelled at three different positions, and therefore square to the radii 1, 2, 3. Hence, levelling forward in this way, although making no allowance for rotundity, the rotundity or allowance for it is involved in the process."

According to the Flat Earth FAQ,  the definitive experiment on the Bedford Level was done by Henry Yule Oldham,  but what the FAQ doesn't say is that he confirmed Wallace's results proving the earth was round. 
I seriously doubt anyone would  seriously try to argue the discredited Rowbotham Bedford Level experiment.    So the flat earth FAQ implies the earth is a sphere. ;D

Biography: Henry Yule Oldham, was a teacher and geographer who, in 1901, conducted the definitive version of the Bedford Level experiment, a proof that the Earth is a sphere.
Born: December 14, 1862
Died: January 01, 1951 (age 88)

In any event these days you can prove the earth is round with modern precision differential levels.  Also it's common practice to make earth curvature corrections when doing geodetic surveys.   Large precision machine tool setup sometimes has to correct for earth's curvature. 

« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2015, 06:43:35 PM »
Will you stop it with this shill nonsense .no one pays me to post anything.

Thank you for saying this. Would you please encourage your "flat earth" friends to do likewise.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »
I have been looking at my globe with a light to observe sunsets.   

I was wrong about westerly and north westerly sunsets at southern solstice

All sunsets south of the tropic of cancer are south western sunsets at southern solstice.

:-[

From the calculator at solstice sunset degrees:

Darwin 247 degrees

Exmouth WA 246 degrees

Perth WA 242 degrees

Albany WA 241 degrees

Southern tip of Stewart island NZ  233 degrees

Exmouth WA 246 degrees

Perth WA 242 degrees

Albany WA 241 degrees

Southern tip of Stewart island NZ   233 degrees

I'm not 100% sure of this, but at the summer solstice, aren't all points in the southern hemisphere (bar the south pole)  going to see a south westerly sunset.   Because of the tilt in the earth's axis.
At the south pole, the sun rises due north,  is due north at noon, and midnight, and is due north at sunset. 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #232 on: May 10, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »
So what is point 'B'?

Will you stop it with this shill nonsense .no one pays me to post anything. This is how you agenda21 scum work .Anyone that doesn't yeld to your organization. Its lies & propergander, you hound harass intimidate & do your utmost to standover.

Just think: if the government payed people like you to spread flat Earth nonsense it would distract from what's really going on.  They have motive and means.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #233 on: May 10, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »
>For the same reason you don't think the tops of those icebergs are flat. They aren't parallel to the surface of the sea.<

In the most cases, they are parallel (more or less). Haven't you seen those pictures? Should i put them here again?

[Image cropped vertically as a courtesy to readers]
"Those icebergs" in the above from me refer to "other than tabular icebergs".  This picture looks like a tabular iceberg according to cikljamas' own definitions.

cikljamas (just so be sure you know that I'm talking to you): if it's not a tabular iceberg, according to your definition, what kind is it, and why? Can you repeat those definitions of iceberg types again? You don't seem to have any problem repeating stuff ad nauseum, even when you're wrong, so this should be little imposition.

Yo! cikljamas (just so be sure you know that I'm talking to you): what's the length from left to right in the photo above (in miles or km) of that iceberg? If you don't know, what are you trying to convince us of? If you do think you know, what is it, and, what evidence for this do you have to support this? The length of the iceberg matters. Does the perspective from below the top of the iceberg in the photo matter? If you don't understand why any of these is a question, since all has already been explained, you should not continue to argue. If you don't understand something, please just ask about that part rather than stubbornly insisting that ignorant bullshit is right. OK?

>The tabular icebergs spanning hundreds of km that you're carrying on about maintain more or less constant height above the level of the surrounding water. Constant height. Since the surface of the water is curved, then the surface of the ice is also curved. This curvature is too small to notice without careful measurement over short distances<
How is this in accordance with what you just have said (in a previous quote)? Are they parallel or not, at the end of the day? Alpha, what's going on with you? You are losing concentration, or what?
Yo, cikljamas (just so be sure you know that I'm talking to you): Why do you have a problem with the difference between a few km and hundreds of km? It's hard to tell the difference between a plane and the surface of a large sphere over a small area without careful measurement. No one disputes this, and it's a source of much of the ignorant "the Earth looks flat to me" nonsense, because most of the time, people can't see more than a few km, and the intellectually lazy aren't into subtlties. Similarly, it's difficult to tell the difference between parallel straight lines and concentric circles with a large, but close radii, over small distances. Because of this, even if something looks flat it may be subtly curved, you just wouldn't know the difference on casual examination, which you seem to specialize in. You do have a problem recognizing the obvious, so sorry for not making this obvious enough even for you. It's just hard to fathom how obvious I should make things; I'm not used to dealing with people who know almost nothing.

>If you're measuring your survey elevations in reference to a sea level or similar datum, the curvature is already accounted for. Adding it in again would be "most unsatisfactory".<

Yo, cikljamas (just so be sure you know that I'm talking to you): How far would 20 chains be on the radius of the Earth be at the scale of this drawing? [Hint: the radius of the Earth is much greater than shown. It is 20 chains * 80 chains/mile * 4000 miles = 6,400,000 times as far as the distance between stations 1 and 2 (if they represent 20 chains) in figure 9. Almost flat. In other words, the difference in level between the two will be minuscule, not the obvious angle represented in the exaggerated drawing. This is the sort of deception Mr. Rowbotham engages in, so beware believing anything he writes.

This is a very ingenious and plausible argument,
Ingenious because it's subtly wrong. Not so plausible once yo know enough to recognize the sleight of hand.

by which the visible contradiction between the theory of rotundity and the results of practical levelling is explained; and many excellent mathematicians and geodesists have been deceived by it.
Yo, cikljamas (just so be sure you know that I'm talking to you): Nope. Sorry. This is what surveyors and geodesists do for a living. If they continually failed in their measurements, they would fail in their jobs. If they were using the wrong model (flat, for instance), they would continually fail because their measurements wouldn't match reality.

Logically, however, it will be seen that it is not a proof of rotundity; it is only an explanation or reconciliation of results with the supposition of rotundity, but does not prove it to exist.
There is no proof the world is very nearly spherical, but large-scale surveys would not work if we assume the Earth were flat, so we can throw that idea right out!

The following modification was therefore adopted by the author, in order that convexity, if it existed, might be demonstrated. A theodolite was placed at the point A, in fig. 10, and levelled; it was then directed over the flag-staff B to the cross-staff C--the instrument A, the flag-staff B, and the cross-staff C, having exactly the same altitude. The theodolite was then advanced to B, the flag-staff to C, and the cross-staff to D, which was thus secured .as a continuation of one and the same line of sight A, B, C, prolonged to D, the altitude of D being the same as that of A, B, and C. The theodolite was again moved forward to the position C, the flag-staff to D, and the cross-staff to the point E--the line of sight to which was thus again secured as a prolongation of A, B, C, D, to E. The process was repeated to F, and onwards by 20 chain lengths to the end of six miles of the canal, .and parallel with it.

By thus having an object between the theodolite and the cross-staff, which object in its turn becomes a test or guide by which the same line of sight is continued throughout the whole length surveyed, the argument or explanation which is dependent upon the supposition of rotundity, and that each position of the theodolite is a different tangent, is completely destroyed. The result of this peculiar or modified survey, which has been several times repeated, was that the line of sight and the surface of the water ran parallel to each other; and as the line of sight was, in this instance, a right line, the surface of the water for six miles was demonstrably horizontal.
How much difference, in inches or cm, would there be between flat and spherical (with a radius of 4000 miles) surfaces over a distance of 20 chains? Compare with the accuracy of a survey shot over this distance? If you don't know, then how can you evaluate the validity of this claim?

This mode of forward levelling is so very exact and satisfactory,
How exact? Specifically. Numbers, please, for 19th-Century instruments, with justification for your answer. Don't know? Well...

that the following further illustration may be given with advantage.[/b] In fig. 11, let A, B, C, represent the first position, respectively of the theodolite, flag-staff, and cross-staff; B, C, D, the second position; C, D, E, the third position; and D, E, F, the fourth; similarly repeated throughout the whole distance surveyed.

The remarks thus made in reference to simple "forward" levelling, apply with equal force to what is called by surveyors the "back-and-fore-sight" process, which consists in reading backwards a distance equal to the distance read forwards. This plan is adopted to obviate the necessity for calculating, or allowing for the earth's supposed convexity.

You can also use this method:

Question (for cikljamas, in case there's he's not sure) : have you done any land surveying? If so, what area (roughly) in hectares, acres, square miles, km 2, etc. was the survey? How many land surveys use "shots" three miles or more n length? What was the purpose, and accuracy, of any such surveys? What are the potential complications of using such long shots? How can those problems be mitigated? What is the typical length of the longer "shots" of a competently-executed land survey? Why?

[Edit to add] Why is this in the Antarctic Midnight Sun thread? Shouldn't your stuff about Bedford Level, etc. gone into "Complete Nonsense"?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:57:28 PM by Alpha2Omega »

« Reply #234 on: May 10, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »
Could we please all focus on the topic of this thread?

The topics at hand are:

1.  The Antarctic midnight Sun is a natural consequence of what ordinary people can observe south of the equator in a very wide range of different ordinary locations

2   As you go further south the days get longer and the sunsets and sunrises are further towards the south.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:15:21 PM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #235 on: May 10, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »
cikljamas (in case you aren't sure this is directed to you): You have responded to a post after this one. The nested quotes below have been fixed - if they confused you, my apologies.

Still, any answers to the questions below, cikljamas?

1. If you apply this http://www.energeticforum.com/256670-post75.html to your case, what do you get?

- What you see in explanation above is the valid proof against the heliocentric theory, however the same description (of the Sun's path above the Northern Hemiplain) is in accordance with FET.
- Regarding your description (of the Sun's alleged path above the Southern Hemiplain), it is not in accordance neither with RET nor with FET.

As for the sentence written with red letters:

The last time you placed apparently random arrows on a map you conceded that they were meaningless. Does the same apply here?

Your top map shows two arrows pointing due west from the northern part of Australia and southwestward-pointing arrows from southern Australia and the North Island of New Zealand.

The second, a different projection, shows two slightly-north-of-due-west arrows from the western part of Australia and, again, southwestward-pointing arrows from southern Australia and the North Island of New Zealand.

What do these represent? What point are you trying to make? How do these images have anything to do with the red text?

[Edit] Oops... forgot to direct questions and comments explicitly to cikljamas.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:07:12 PM by Alpha2Omega »

« Reply #236 on: May 10, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »
cikljamas (in case you aren't sure this is directed to you): You have responded to a post after this one. The nested quotes below have been fixed - if they confused you, my apologies.

1. If you apply this http://www.energeticforum.com/256670-post75.html to your case, what do you get?

- What you see in explanation above is the valid proof against the heliocentric theory, however the same description (of the Sun's path above the Northern Hemiplain) is in accordance with FET.
- Regarding your description (of the Sun's alleged path above the Southern Hemiplain), it is not in accordance neither with RET nor with FET.

The last time you placed apparently random arrows on a map you conceded that they were meaningless. Does the same apply here?

Your top map shows two arrows pointing due west from the northern part of Australia and southwestward-pointing arrows from southern Australia and the North Island of New Zealand.

The second, a different projection, shows two slightly-north-of-due-west arrows from the western part of Australia and, again, southwestward-pointing arrows from southern Australia and the North Island of New Zealand.

What do these represent? What point are you trying to make? How do these images have anything to do with the red text?

well its pretty obvious . You wouldn't be seeing a sunset looking out to sea in darwin or broome. if it set 4 hours  earlier  off the southern coastline  in a south  west direction. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:30:45 PM by charles bloomington »

« Reply #237 on: May 11, 2015, 01:25:53 AM »

well its pretty obvious . You wouldn't be seeing a sunset looking out to sea in darwin or broome. if it set 4 hours  earlier  off the southern coastline  in a south  west direction.

Perhaps this is why the Darwin picture you showed earlier is for a famous "sunset market" that only occurs from end april to end October??

Could that be connected to what you are saying is impossible?

How hard is it for you to check your facts first?

Darwin sunsets are famous in the dry season even in England!

http://www.travelunpacked.co.uk/2013/07/24/sunsets-over-darwin/

In any cases parts of Mindil beach are southwest facing
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:32:20 AM by Aliveandkicking »

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #239 on: May 11, 2015, 03:21:31 AM »
"I can't breathe" George Floyd RIP