ANTARCTICA MIDNIGHT SUN (ANOTHER SIDE OF THE COIN)

• 433 Replies
Re: ANTARCTICA MIDNIGHT SUN (ANOTHER SIDE OF THE COIN)
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
Hey little children, why don't you go back to your playgrounds and resume your games for kids under 5 years? Or since you don't know how to use your own brain why don't you just ask this same question your guru Alpha2Omega?

Alpha, find me a picture like this:

http://i.imgur.com/UCNxapk.jpg
I'm still not your slave.

Only, in your impossible picture, compass should be able to point South at Midnight!

We are waiting (something that won't come-EVER)!
You've already been provided a picture showing the Midnight Sun from Casey Station, Antarctica. What "impossible" picture is it that you (singular) are waiting for? Why do you think I should deliver anything to you just because you demand it?

P.S. If there is any doubt about the proper functioning of a compass in a high South latitudes, just read this: http://www.energeticforum.com/255802-post1.html
Just out of curiosity, which way do you think is true north in your picture? I want to see if you understand what it's showing.

Compasses work just fine in the Southern Hemisphere. When you get to high latitudes, especially if they're close to the magnetic pole (Casey is), you need to be sure you recognize that they're aligning toward the magnetic pole, not the geographic pole. Casey Station (66° S, 110° E) is almost due west and slightly south of the South Magnetic Pole (roughly 63° S, 137° E), so the south end of a compass needle will point almost due east (actually, it would point about 10° north of due east). A picture showing this, if there is one (feel free to look if you want), would just confuse you.

This pdf map shows the difference between true north and magnetic north for most of the world. The red contour lines mean the north end of a compass needle points east of true north; blue contour lines mean the north end of a compass points west of true north (thus the south end of the needle points east of true south). If you are on a green line, your compass points true north. Casey is close to the -100° (blue) contour, so the south end of a compass needle is off by 100° at Casey; 90° would be due east and 100° is 10° beyond (north of) that.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »
I got a bit confused by what you said here:

>>Now, Rayzor, answer me: Where (at which side of the world) will be the Sun 12 hours later (at noon) according to the same compass (above)?

When you find (in your own brain or elsewhere) correct answer to this question, then ask Aliveandkicking, what was the point of this utterly stupid claim of him:

That is correct. The sun only dips below the horizon for about an hour or so. So all three photos can be filmed from a similar  angle. Like here in helsinki at mid summer at 60n.   If i went on the roof i could point the camera in the same direction to see summer solstice sunset midnight and sunrise

I am not sure if you realise that the southern midnight sun is  6 months from the northern one?    Why are you talking about a 12 hour difference?

Although you are aware that at noon the sun is south of you (North Pole is behind your back), and that at midnight the sun is north of you (you have to watch across North Pole in order to see Sun at midnight), you still don't see any problem with your stupid claim according which "If you went on the roof you could point the camera in the same direction to see summer solstice sunset midnight and sunrise" ??????

**************************************************************

@ Alpha, all you have to do is to reckon the exact theoretical position of an alleged south geographic pol (with respect to the position of the real south magnetic pole), and then try to aline a line of your sight, the position of the midnight sun, and the supposed position of the alleged south geographic pol, and voila... It wouldn't take to much effort to carry out such a simple procedure, am i right?

Only, this is a mission impossible , because South Pole doesn't exist!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:14:39 AM by cikljamas »
"I can't breathe" George Floyd RIP

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »
Although you are aware that at noon the sun is south of you (North Pole is behind your back), and that at midnight the sun is north of you (you have to watch across North Pole in order to see Sun at midnight), you still don't see any problem with your stupid claim according which "If you went on the roof you could point the camera in the same direction to see summer solstice sunset midnight and sunrise" ??????

Wow,  after all that you STILL don't get it.  First you mixed up north and south,  now you mix up noon and midnight.   

Here's the sun path for Helsinki at the summer solstice.   
The sun sets at around 10pm and rises at about 1am,  there's only about 70 or so degrees between sunset, midnight and sunrise.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
I got a bit confused by what you said here:

>>Now, Rayzor, answer me: Where (at which side of the world) will be the Sun 12 hours later (at noon) according to the same compass (above)?

When you find (in your own brain or elsewhere) correct answer to this question, then ask Aliveandkicking, what was the point of this utterly stupid claim of him:

That is correct. The sun only dips below the horizon for about an hour or so. So all three photos can be filmed from a similar  angle. Like here in helsinki at mid summer at 60n.   If i went on the roof i could point the camera in the same direction to see summer solstice sunset midnight and sunrise

I am not sure if you realise that the southern midnight sun is  6 months from the northern one?    Why are you talking about a 12 hour difference?

I am at a total loss to wonder why you are questioning my integrity and my observations of my life in NZ and again in Helsinki Finland where i am only 6 degrees of latitude from the arctic circle.

If i face my camera North, at noon the sun is behind me.   From memory the sun sets about 10-45pm and rises again about 2am.    Those kind of times.    A camera will show about 90 degrees of view.

Every hour of the day is 360/24 degrees = 15 degrees of longitude per hour.   So 3 hours 15 minutes is only an angle of 49 degrees.   Not very much at all.

If from my house i cannot get a picture of sunset midnight and sunset at solstice with a single camera position my failure will only be a matter of tiny amounts by my estimation.

As far as i can determine a single camera position will suffice with no special efforts required.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:41:33 AM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2015, 11:07:17 AM »

Wow,  after all that you STILL don't get it.  First you mixed up north and south,  now you mix up noon and midnight.   

Here's the sun path for Helsinki at the summer solstice.   
The sun sets at around 10pm and rises at about 1am,  there's only about 70 or so degrees between sunset, midnight and sunrise.

Can you give me the link to that calculator please?   we are about 6 miles from the centre plus we are on a small hill

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2015, 11:16:45 AM »
@ Alpha, all you have to do is to reckon the exact theoretical position of an alleged south geographic pol (with respect to the position of the real south magnetic pole), and then try to aline a line of your sight, the position of the midnight sun, and the supposed position of the alleged south geographic pol, and voila... It wouldn't take to much effort to carry out such a simple procedure, am i right?
The same principle applies in your picture (except it's the North Pole, not the South). You never answered the question, though, so it's hard to tell if you understand what your somewhat confused description means.

Which way is true north in this picture?

Only, this is a mission impossible , because South Pole doesn't exist!
It's pretty clear you have little idea where or what it is. That doesn't matter, though.

Due south is in the direction of the Sun's lowest point in this picture from Casey Station. The South Pole is in that direction. Now you know.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
Aliveandkicking, technically you are right, but you are missing the main point of this argument. It doesn't matter if you can see sunset, midnight sun and sunrise from the same side of your house, what matters is this : can you see the noon sun also, from that very same side of your house?

Of course that you have to turn around for 180 degrees to be able to see the noon sun, because you are in the northern hemiplane.

However, in the Antarctic you don't have to turn around to be able to see the noon sun. That makes a huge difference. All phases of the Antarctic Midnight Sun (sunrise, noon, sunset, midnight sun) occur on the same side of the hypothetical Antarctic house.

That is why nobody can do the same kind of demonstration with compass pointing  South and Antarctic Midnight Sun in the same time so to align himself (the position from which he observes Midnight Sun), the position of the Antarctic Midnight Sun and non-existent position of the non-existent "South Pole".
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:05:49 PM by cikljamas »

« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
Aliveandkicking, technically you are right, but you are missing the main point of this argument. It doesn't matter if you can see sunset, midnight sun and sunrise from the same side of your house, what matters is this : can you see the noon sun also, from that very same side of your house?

Of course that you have to turn around for 180 degrees to be able to see the noon sun, because you are in the northern hemiplane.

However, in the Antarctic you don't have to turn around to be able to see the noon sun. That makes a huge difference. All phases of the Antarctic Midnight Sun (sunrise, noon, sunset, midnight sun) occur on the same side of the hypothetical Antarctic house.

That is why nobody can do the same kind of demonstration with compass pointing  South and Antarctic Midnight Sun in the same time so to align himself (the position from which he observes Midnight Sun), the position of the Antarctic Midnight Sun and non-existent position of the non-existent "South Pole".

Technically i am right?  I said if i stand facing north i will have the noon sun behind me.

However in reality my camera can only record something like 60 degrees of view so i doubt i will be able to take these pictures with a single position at 60N.

As i said earlier if i stand facing south in new zealand at 40S the noon sun is on my back but the solstice sunset and sunrise are in the southern part of the sky.   You will be able to find videos showing this from all around the southern hemisphere from at a guess about 35S where it can be noticed on a video.

As I said Gleasons flat earth map includes the ordinary sun tables used by ordinary people for centuries which give the same sort of results as Rayzors modern calculator

The antarctic stuff is just the same geography where as you go further south from the tropic the sun sets further to the south at the solstice.

By the way I found from the log of captain cooks  2nd voyage he said "we crossed the Antarctic Circle" on the 17th of January 1773 at longitude 39 degrees East.   Page 53 of 581 of:

http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-JOD-00020/53 

In another log of the same voyage i found that on 24th of January it was 'dark for 3 or 4 hours' at 58S Latitude. page 51 of 441 of:

http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-RGO-00014-00058/51

Just to be clear you said:

>>However, in the Antarctic you don't have to turn around to be able to see the noon sun. That makes a huge difference. All phases of the Antarctic Midnight Sun (sunrise, noon, sunset, midnight sun) occur on the same side of the hypothetical Antarctic house.

You are making that claim but it is not supported by the videos of a rotating antarctic sun I provided and it is not supported by what i observed in NZ and what i showed was viewable on you tube from waikanae near where i used to go gliding.  And it is not supported by Cook and Amundsens voyages to the antarctic.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:41:54 PM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2015, 12:35:15 PM »

You've already heard first-hand reports from people describing summertime sunsets in the southwest from Australia and New Zealand, and I don't see any dispute from you about a northern noontime sun from those places. These observations are corroborated by countless people for centuries. Has there been a single credible report otherwise?

So let's see some actual conclusive evidence that both the noontime and midnight sun are in the north from the Antarctic Circle and south. You're the one saying that almost everyone else is wrong, so you need to provide convincing evidence. Good luck. So far, your pictures have been inconclusive, irrelevant, or - and you even admitted it - wrong. Do you have anything beyond your own wishful thinking that would make you think this is true?

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »
1. We may note that the Discovery, in settling down into winter quarters in February, 1902, was frozen in, "and endured a long dark winter, with a night of 122 days, when the temperature fell to 62 degrees below zero, and it was unsafe to venture from the ship, for even a mile, because of the blinding blizzard that raged almost continuously."

This quotation is an excerpt from the statement of Lieut. Shackleton, of the Discovery.

"Does the phrase, 'a night of 122 days' mean that the sun was not seen for that long period?"
was a question put to me ; and I replied, "Certainly."

And as such is undoubtedly the case, I ask, how would it be possible to experience "a night of 122 days", if the earth be a globe careering round the sun, as they say it does?

Longyearbyen, Norway — Sunrise, sunset and daylength : http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen?month=10&year=2015

Discovery wasn't settled down at higher southern latitude than Longyearbyen is situated at north (78,13 degrees N), and Longyearbyen dark winter lasts for 112 days which is a whole 10 days less than reported (by Lieut. Shackleton) 122 days of a complete darkness!

2. Aliveandkicking, have you ever witnessed something similar to this:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:04:45 PM by cikljamas »

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
And as such is undoubtedly the case, I ask, how would it be possible to experience "a night of 122 days", if the earth be a globe careering round the sun, as they say it does?

Because of Earth's axle tilt.  I am not going to explain it in a hope to get the rusty gears turning in the special reasoning part of your brain.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

The Truth Seeker

• listen and know no lies...
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2015, 03:40:47 PM »

Because of Earth's axle tilt.  I am not going to explain it in a hope to get the rusty gears turning in the special reasoning part of your brain.

CONCAVE EARTH IS TRUTH AND IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVEN IT YOUR A SHILL
"Perhaps when I am gone you will appreciate me more, and realize I was about truth, justice and possessing a steadfast determination to demolish the walls of deception and unbelief." Lord Steven Christopher

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2015, 03:42:14 PM »

Not related to the topic at all. Great contribution.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

The Truth Seeker

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »

Not related to the topic at all. Great contribution.

this about the shape of the earth and i am spredinng truth about earths shape...
"Perhaps when I am gone you will appreciate me more, and realize I was about truth, justice and possessing a steadfast determination to demolish the walls of deception and unbelief." Lord Steven Christopher

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
1. We may note that the Discovery, in settling down into winter quarters in February, 1902, was frozen in, "and endured a long dark winter, with a night of 122 days, when the temperature fell to 62 degrees below zero, and it was unsafe to venture from the ship, for even a mile, because of the blinding blizzard that raged almost continuously."

This quotation is an excerpt from the statement of Lieut. Shackleton, of the Discovery.

"Does the phrase, 'a night of 122 days' mean that the sun was not seen for that long period?"

Longyearbyen, Norway — Sunrise, sunset and daylength : http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen?month=10&year=2015

Discovery wasn't settled down at higher southern latitude than Longyearbyen is situated at north (78,13 degrees N), and Longyearbyen dark winter lasts for 112 days which is a whole 10 days less than reported (by Lieut. Shackleton) 122 days of a complete darkness!

I dont have an answer for why Shackelton said 122 nights but since mcmurdo has been permanently manned for decades an answer can probably be provided.

Do you have a reference for him saying that?   So far i can only find that text in Earth from a scriptural point of view

http://library.tfes.org/library/Earth%20-%20Monthly%20Magazine%2047-48.pdf

I have never been inside the arctic circle so cannot comment on the light there.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:07:44 PM by Aliveandkicking »

The Truth Seeker

« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »

Actually I think the proper term is "intelligent person".
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »

Methinks you're reading too much into some of these descriptions. Where does Mr. Shackleton say "complete darkness" for 122 days? According to the text above, he agreed that "the sun was not seen", but nothing more.

Referring to your http://www.timeanddate.com calendar for McMurdo Station, Antarctica (Winter Quarters Bay is part of the "McMurdo metro area"), the last sunset this year was  Apr. 24 and the next sunrise will be  Aug 19. That's 117 days between sunset and sunrise.[nb]Is there any objection to using 2015 as a proxy for 1902? If so, you can look up those dates and times yourself and do your own calculation.[/nb] 

So why was the report 122 days without the sun, a whole 5 days more? This is some conjecture, but, during the very short times with sunlight just before and after the Austral Winter at McMurdo, the Sun briefly skims the northern horizon for only a short time. McMurdo (and Winter Quarters Bay) are on a spit of land extending from the south side of Ross Island, so the bulk of the island - including Mt. Erebus, a volcano topping out at 12,448' (3,794 m) - is north of the observation site. Perhaps the Sun, barely, and briefly, peeking above the ideal horizon, was still well below the higher elevations to the north? The really crappy weather (i.e. "the blinding blizzard that raged almost continuously") cited above is another entirely reasonable possibility for not seeing the Sun for the last and/or first few days it might have otherwise been visible as well. As I said, this is conjecture, but, IMO, entirely reasonable, for not seeing the Sun for a few days when you otherwise might have been able to. The lack of more detailed information leaves us guessing.

Why would 117 days without sun be longer than 112 days at a slightly higher northern latitude in Norway? Cast your mind back to the Equation of Time discussions some months ago. You were asserting (correctly) that the Earth is closest to the Sun near the southern solstice, and (incorrectly) that the southern hemisphere should be broiling. Remember that? Well, the reply was (also correctly) that, because the Earth is closest to the Sun then, it's also moving fastest in its orbit at the same time, so (again correctly) the southern summer is slightly shorter than the northern one. Remember?

If you look up the dates and times for the equinoxes this year, Mar. 20 22:45 and Sep 23, 08:20, that's 186.40 days the Sun is north of the Equator. Since the length of year is 365.25 days, that leaves 178.85 days for the Sun to be south of the Equator, a difference of 7.55 days. The Sun is "up" more in the northern hemisphere, than it is in the Southern hemisphere, so the number of sunless days are greater in the southern hemisphere at similar latitudes.

This is why I like hanging around this place; I learn stuff!

http://i.imgur.com/9WBuZRM.jpg
This isn't addressed to me, but I've never seen the green flash although I've looked for it when I've had the opportunity. I'd still like to. The very long, slow sunrises and sunsets at high latitude are ideal for this if there's a good unobstructed horizon.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
Can you give me the link to that calculator please?   we are about 6 miles from the centre plus we are on a small hill

If you google "sun calculator"  you will get a number of different ones,  the one I liked best is  http://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php

The polar day/night  lasts from equinox to equinox,   so from  September 22 to March 20 will be continuous night at the North Pole, and continuous daylight at the South Pole,  then from March 20 to September 22 the North Pole will have continuous daylight, and the South Pole continuous night.   With the Northern and Southern limits of 24 hour daylight/24 hour night being the Arctic and Antarctic circles respectively and those limits occur at the solstices.

Beautifully simple on a spherical earth,  god knows what geometric machinations are needed to make it work on a flat earth. 

Here's the full depth of what they are up against  " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:30:32 PM by Rayzor »

« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »
All phases of the Antarctic Midnight Sun (sunrise, noon, sunset, midnight sun) occur on the same side of the hypothetical Antarctic house.
Why in the world would you think that? 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
While I think of it, does anyone know the flat earth explanation for the green flash at sunset?

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »
While I think of it, does anyone know the flat earth explanation for the green flash at sunset?

Flat earth answer: sunset?

« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »
Sunrise nsw east cost http://www.planbooktravel.com.au/traveller/ExploreNSW/reviews/holiday-to-remember-at-crescent-head/images/sunrise.jpg?isImage=1
Sunset  stkilda beach  melbourne ,beach faces south west .http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3094/3190360385_ce3d48039a_z.jpg?zz=1
Now how is it you get to see the sun set on the west coast.
It just dosen't add up with the claimed spherical modle .
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

Mikey T.

« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2015, 10:07:12 PM »
Odd, That seems to be facing the St. Kilda Pavilion.  So this photo is almost due west.
Here is a link to the google map
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St+Kilda+VIC+3182,+Australia/@-37.8649263,144.9635299,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6ad6686866392389:0x5045675218cdae0
Also, the door of that pavilion faces East, which you are clearly looking at in your photo from the pier there.

The shore of the other side of the Bay is roughly 3.19 miles away if we measure straight down the pier from the approx location this picture was taken from, The closest building on that same path is 3.46 miles away, but in the direction of the sunset there (which is almost due west), the shore is 3.59 miles away and barely catching the edge of that beach.  The closest building on that path is 9.74 miles away.  So I see why we cannot see the shoreline or buildings.  Thanks Charles for posting a picture that destroy's flat Earth.  Although you clearly lied and tried to misrepresent it. 

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2015, 10:44:20 PM »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:51:34 PM by charles bloomington »
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »
Scrotum , you realy need to buy your self a compass. You cant rely on Google map or phone apps there just not acurate .

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2015, 11:03:26 PM »
Realy ? Stkilda beach is a bay beach . So how do you manage to see the same sunset a few hours later on the broome west australia coast . http://www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~jenny/photos/Broome-GNH-WA/slides/sunset%20Broome%20Western%20Australia.JPG
And darwin http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/05/11/1226344/731418-darwin-sunset.jpg
http://www.webookaustralia.com/images/australiamap.jpg

Charles what point are you making please?

I cant follow what you are saying without more explanation of the pictures

Mikey T.

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:05 PM »
Well, when you look at satellite images, and images of the area to match them up to the picture you posted, it is clearly almost due West.  So, if i do research into your BS, show you where you are wrong, I now have to fly to Australia with a compass to show you again that you are lying. 

You are so bad at this stuff dude.
Get a picture that someone with half brain cannot find other information on it you are going to lie about it.

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2015, 11:34:33 PM »
Well, when you look at satellite images, and images of the area to match them up to the picture you posted, it is clearly almost due West.  So, if i do research into your BS, show you where you are wrong, I now have to fly to Australia with a compass to show you again that you are lying. 

You are so bad at this stuff dude.
Get a picture that someone with half brain cannot find other information on it you are going to lie about it.

Mikey you are not being very helpful at all.    St kildas pier does face slightly south west and by yours, charles and my estimation the Sun is setting south west.

St Kildas is clearly a south west facing beach
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:43:40 PM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2015, 12:14:21 AM »
I have worked all over Australia, seen plenty of coastal sun rises & sun sets . Travel no where with out 3 weeks worth of food & water &  a working compass in the ute aswell as a portable one. What they tell you & what you see dont match most of the time. Exaple I have had to recalibrate the homestead weather cock  to magnetic north 4 times in 18 years. Over all I have had to move it 6 degrees. Trying to debate reality  against
Google earth dogma is just a time waste . Take antatica on Google earth ,its just a straight out fabrication to suit their sales pitch model. I seen some photos of mars taken by a uni astronomy club. I recognised north america straight away . I inverted the colours then printed them off & asked others what they thought the photos of earth land mass they were of. They all responded with out hesitation north american. As soon as I informed them they where photos of mars. They couldn't make head nor tale of them. Do I have all the answers no. Do I want all the answers no .But I dont know about others. But Iv grown  tied of being sold the spinning spherical made up nonsensical  product . I just dont feel or see . 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:20:12 AM by charles bloomington »