Who cares if earth is round, flat, or hollow?

• 20 Replies
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »
We know these ideas are based on theories presented at some point. We've all read the same books, compilation videos, websites, etc, so aren't we all subject to the same teaching or brainwashing, thus there should be more of a basis of understanding of each others views?

3 main theories for earth in western european history/literature:
* Round earth (center of unvierse) Tycho Brahe
* Round earth (sun center) Copernican
* Flat Earth (parralax)
* Or better model? maybe all or some of the above could be wrong partially or completely..

Why isn't there more mention of these 3 figures when making arguments for or against any of these theories? None of us have the knowledge to really know, and all of us are subject to the same information in the same libraries, video compilations, web sites, etc...

So then at a point it becomes futile to think about this. I think you will eventually quit coming to this site as everyone does, and stop wondering about shape of place we all live. This gives no benefit if earth flat, round, or hollow - it could only be 100% accurate to say the earth SEEMS flat, but it could be either flat, round, hollow, oval, or etc.

So my topic is simply, who cares if earth is round, flat, etc?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:04:02 PM by neutral22 »

gotham

• Planar Moderator
Re: Who cares if earth is round, flat, or hollow?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »
Only RET is currently taught in educational systems. That is a problem and it begins to answer your inquiry.

Since Earth shape is still controversial, many people object to monopolization of a theory that has not been proven.   

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
Since Earth shape is still controversial

It is? Is there any other competing hypothesis that actually works?

many people object to monopolization of a theory that has not been proven.

Define 'many'.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
Only RET is currently taught in educational systems. That is a problem and it begins to answer your inquiry.

Since Earth shape is still controversial, many people object to monopolization of a theory that has not been proven.

No, actually it's not controversial.  There are satellites orbiting the Earth and people in a space station, the only way the Earth could be any other shape then round is if there is a stupidly impossible huge conspiracy employing over 10% of the Earth's population which there is not even any evidence for.  Do I really have to explain why that's not a logical idea?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »
Of course it matters and you proposed some good questions too.
We can only go by the facts and they don't always add up, do they ?

If we really discover this "un-known frontier"  TPTB doesn't want to recognize a "creator."

See, a flat world is something thats natural in everyday life, it is not even recognized. In our subconscious we are thinking the curvature is just over the next rise, because we were taught that way.
If we used a "level and square," a "string and plum-bob" and just followed it out, we would demonstrate the flat Earth.  See, in your mind you can't reason or imagine this paradigm. It is reality,  you just can't believe there is an edge? The reality is, you come upon what we were taught is called Antarctica; Ice, snow, cold darkness.
Soon it is impossible to continue on, too cold and can't see ...
The Secrete Societies that control our world,  control the knowledge that is recorded and learned in grade schools all over the "world." The creator of our world gave us this not a "coincidence" or "accident" or "Big Bang theory."
The "globe" is their invention. These "Initiates" and "Adapts" of the "Mysteries" believe it is mans destiny to become G-ds, and this is the world they created that took the edge away for ever, that is believed in all human collective thought.

I think it ironic these people believe in "reason" and use the "square and "compass" they think they are "leveling out"everything for humankind, but are really hiding "intelligent design," from the human race ...

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:46:05 PM »

If we really discover this "un-known frontier"  TPTB doesn't want to recognize a "creator."

See, a flat world is something thats natural in everyday life, it is not even recognized. In our subconscious we are thinking the curvature is just over the next rise, because we were taught that way.
If we used a "level and square," a "string and plum-bob" and just followed it out, we would demonstrate the flat Earth.  See, in your mind you can't reason or imagine this paradigm. It is reality,  you just can't believe there is an edge? The reality is, you come upon what we were taught is called Antarctica; Ice, snow, cold darkness.
The Secrete Societies that control our world,  control the knowledge that is recorded and learned in grade schools all over the "world." The creator of our world gave us this not a "coincidence" or "accident" or "Big Bang theory."
The "globe" is their invention. These "Initiates" and "Adapts" of the "Mysteries" believe it is mans destiny to become G-ds, and this is the world they created that took the edge away for ever, that is believed in all human collective thought.

I think it ironic these people believe in "reason" and use the "square and "compass" they think they are "leveling out"everything for humankind, but are really hiding "intelligent design," from the human race ...

Spheres happen all the time in nature.  Water droplets, certain plants, pearls, most fruit, and even the object we can see in the sky.  Why is it so impossible for Earth to be a sphere too?  Earth may look flat at first glance because it's unimaginably huge but if you go higher the horizon becomes further away and you can see more just as you would expect on a round Earth.  There are even little things like sunsets which disprove flat Earth theory.  You can see satellites flying above you and you can use them for communication and navigation.  Boats sink beneath the horizon as they get further away from you.  You are staring round Earth proofs right in the face and yet you still believe in flat Earth theory.  I think that's the definition of ignorance.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 12:10:43 AM »
"Ignorance" you mean like talking NOT politely to somebody from behind a keyboard were they know they are hidden behind an IP address and is protected from getting their clock cleaned ?

yes, that kind ...
Take care man, thanks !

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:44:50 AM »

If a school started to teach that the Earth might be flat, all good parents would take their kids out of that school, instantly.
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »
By "many people", do you mean a bunch of nerds role playing on a crappy forum?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
"Ignorance" you mean like talking NOT politely to somebody from behind a keyboard were they know they are hidden behind an IP address and is protected from getting their clock cleaned ?

yes, that kind ...
Take care man, thanks !

Is that what you think you are doing,  hiding behind a keyboard?    Try reason, logic and evidence to put across your point of view,  not veiled threats that you can't support.

If you have evidence of some secret masonic society hiding the shape of the world, then let's hear it.   
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:09:42 AM »

Strange threat.  Is this you?

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »
By "many people", do you mean a bunch of nerds role playing on a crappy forum?

Are you a nerd role playing a tedious troll? You're doing a great job.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 04:28:49 PM »

Define 'many'.

A proper population sampling will reveal a number in the millions.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »

Define 'many'.

A proper population sampling will reveal a number in the millions.

Do you have any reliable data to back that up? That could be right, but "millions" isn't impressively large compared with the population of the Earth, even counting only the literate portion.

Anything on a (preferably coherent) alternative that's agreed-on by more than a few dozen people?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »
I guarantee that there are more Scientologists than flat earthers. Gotham, do you believe that we should be taught about Xenu? Should we teach the theories of every fringe group and cult on earth?
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 02:55:52 PM »
FET has the most footsteps on the pathway of Earth shape history. Its relevance will return, as it should.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
FET has the most footsteps on the pathway of Earth shape history.
White supremacy has the most footsteps on the path of race relations. Should we teach that too?

Its relevance will return, as it should.

Want to bet?

Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

Techros

• Destroyer of Flat Worlds
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »

Do you have any evidence beyond that it seems that way if you don't think too hard?
FEH is like tying rubber ducks to your car to go across the pacific: it might work, but why not take a better way?

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »
FET has the most footsteps on the pathway of Earth shape history.

If quantity trumps quality then you might be onto something. Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that what you say is even true.

Are footsteps taken in the wrong direction particularly useful?

Its relevance will return, as it should.

Its relevance is about where it needs to be, and where it will, doubtless, stay.

Someone does always need to be asking "Do you really believe that?" and "Why?" To which the wise will answer "Well, let me check." and, in this particular case "Yep!" To the follow-up, "because of sunsets, the existence of a distinct horizon, objects disappearing over the horizon from the bottom up, circumpolar stars (two sets of 'em), measured distances inconsistent with any large-scale flat map, behavior of the atmosphere, and <on, and on, and on...>"

Thanks for asking!

Bill_the_Pretender

• Not scared of the truth
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
FET has the most footsteps on the pathway of Earth shape history. Its relevance will return, as it should.

False. The Earth is round, as it has always been, and always will be. I'm sorry that you're an angry little troll with enough time to waste on here, pouting around your stupid 'theories' which are no more than assumptions.
I'd be an FE believer, but I'm not stupid. I have Internets.

Proof the Earth is round, not flat: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=63853.new#new
Debunking Flat Earth Theory completely: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
Who really cares what shape it is?

A) Those who have an agenda:
Leaders and their followers of their institutions have a huge imperative to uphold their axioms that support their belief system and what makes them perceived as smart and wise people. If any of their axioms would break by admitting a fault or uncertainty they would denounce it  or stay silent 99.9% of time. For example, for an employee of NASA, their wisdom is entirely based on the science and engineering they are taught. They are probably mostly very smart people but their livelihood also depends on axioms that depend on earth being round - for them admitting earth was flat would be like an ordinary citizen saying 1=2. Their belief system is based on an agenda, and if they are being paid 250,000$ / year in salary it is an absolute imperative for them to uphold the belief system that their agenda is following. This example is not to say that either round or flat earth is either correct or incorrect, but just to point out the pressure leaders and followers must feel in upkeeping the agenda of their organization or face the consequences of losing their jobs, reputations, and perceptions as wise people.

B) Inquisitive people such as Tycho Brahe, Copernicus, Rowbatom(aka parralax), etc. We think these people are impartial and curious, but maybe they also had an agenda they were following? Their history goes back far enough so much of the context of their time is lost, obfuscated, misunderstood, or partially fabricated.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:49:49 PM by neutral22 »