Inertial guidance systems prove the Earth is round

• 10 Replies
Inertial guidance systems prove the Earth is round
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »
A ring laser gyro measures the angle the device is rotated to an accuracy of 0.01 Degree per hour by using the speed of light/Sagnac effect.    One degree on a round word is 60nm.  So after one hour a 747 flying parallel to the surface at 900kmph will have rotated 8.1 Degrees and will know its position to within less than 2nm with no requirement to use any transmissions or receptions of external information.   After a flight from London to new york these devices will still be accurate to within a few tens of miles while showing the aircraft has rotated 40 degrees downwards while still flying level to the surface.

When using an inertial guidance system no assumptions need to be made about the world before taking off.   The device simply shows you are descending in three dimensional space while the aircraft flies level as you make any journey in any direction while flying level.

Inertial navigation systems have been in use since ww2 and not one single pilot or technician has come forwards to claim they prove the world is flat.    Any aircraft service engineer testing inertial guidance systems can know the world is round very quickly as the aircraft descends in three dimensional space while flying level to the surface.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:16:51 AM by Aliveandkicking »

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
Re: Inertial guidance systems prove the Earth is round
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
I am willing to bet that Jrowe will come and claim that aether is somehow responsible.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »
You'll probably just get jroa or someone coming forth to say "Have you ever tested one of these?" and, if you have, they'll say you're lying.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
Just add it over there, to the mountain of overwhelming experimental evidence that proves a spherical Earth.

?

Why-Am-I-Here?

• Massive ice wall? where?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Just add it over there, to the mountain of overwhelming experimental evidence that proves a spherical Earth.
NO! NO! Remember mountains don't exist as the world must be absolutely flat. They are all fake. Flat-earthers said so
One day this argument will cease. Probably about two days after four horses of the apocalypse charge in and declare judgement day with fairies on their backs.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 08:52:49 PM »
I am willing to bet that Jrowe will come and claim that aether is somehow responsible.

Either that or he will try to ignore it.     

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:50:32 PM »
This also neatly disproves concave earth.   Nice work!  :D

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 06:45:48 AM »
A ring laser gyro measures the angle the device is rotated to an accuracy of 0.01 Degree per hour by using the speed of light/Sagnac effect.    One degree on a round word is 60nm.  So after one hour a 747 flying parallel to the surface at 900kmph will have rotated 8.1 Degrees and will know its position to within less than 2nm with no requirement to use any transmissions or receptions of external information.   After a flight from London to new york these devices will still be accurate to within a few tens of miles while showing the aircraft has rotated 40 degrees downwards while still flying level to the surface.

When using an inertial guidance system no assumptions need to be made about the world before taking off.   The device simply shows you are descending in three dimensional space while the aircraft flies level as you make any journey in any direction while flying level.

Inertial navigation systems have been in use since ww2 and not one single pilot or technician has come forwards to claim they prove the world is flat.    Any aircraft service engineer testing inertial guidance systems can know the world is round very quickly as the aircraft descends in three dimensional space while flying level to the surface.

I see, I see, zero flat earthers I see.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 12:49:58 AM »
I see, I see, zero flat earthers I see.

I wondered about that,  the only thing I can think of is they have an aversion to anything involving a third dimension,  they seem to be troubled by words like UP and DOWN,  and can only relate to the world as a flat disk, devoid of mountains,   then there is the fear of space and denial of space travel.    Maybe we should have a new term for flat earthers,   flat heads perhaps?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 08:38:11 AM »
Maybe we should have a new term for flat earthers,   flat heads perhaps?

That's not a new term, I have used it a few times.  Another somewhat popular term is flat liners.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »
Maybe we should have a new term for flat earthers,   flat heads perhaps?

That's not a new term, I have used it a few times.  Another somewhat popular term is flat liners.

I know why are they that stupid, that's because of their flat mouth. Their mum wanted to feed them, but their flat lips were kept shut.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans