£15 and free software and you can listen to the ISS

• 4 Replies
£15 and free software and you can listen to the ISS
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Using Software Defined Radio or SDR

This kind of device is totally different to an old radio.   The hardware part receives many frequencies and then the SDR software alters what frequency you listen to!    There are now devices being marketed to schools with a price ranging from a restricted frequency to an all frequency device.

http://www.funcubedongle.com/

Interesting that as the satellite rises in the sky moving towards you , the frequency is compressed by the doppler effect and once it is moving away from you the frequency is then stretched and in order to best receive the signal you need to alter the frequency you are using the software on.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:58:38 AM by Aliveandkicking »

Mikey T.

Re: £15 and free software and you can listen to the ISS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
That's kinda cool.  I would love to see if they have a  free circuit diagram could look at.  Usually there is some open source project out there for just about anything like those devices that you could build yourself if you know how.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 03:10:22 AM »
That's kinda cool.  I would love to see if they have a  free circuit diagram could look at.  Usually there is some open source project out there for just about anything like those devices that you could build yourself if you know how.

Here is a block diagram.   (Fun cube is using one restricted chip so they cannot provide a full schematic).

http://www.funcubedongle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/fcblockdiagram1.png

And here is a 12 year old with a lisp to help us understand SDR!   ;D

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:11:54 AM by Aliveandkicking »

The Truth Seeker

• listen and know no lies...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 04:08:16 AM »

Using Software Defined Radio or SDR

This kind of device is totally different to an old radio.   The hardware part receives many frequencies and then the SDR software alters what frequency you listen to!    There are now devices being marketed to schools with a price ranging from a restricted frequency to an all frequency device.

http://www.funcubedongle.com/

Interesting that as the satellite rises in the sky moving towards you , the frequency is compressed by the doppler effect and once it is moving away from you the frequency is then stretched and in order to best receive the signal you need to alter the frequency you are using the software on.

flat earth is all lies... concave is truth... truth is they have brokend the glass sky and hav putin satelites...
"Perhaps when I am gone you will appreciate me more, and realize I was about truth, justice and possessing a steadfast determination to demolish the walls of deception and unbelief." Lord Steven Christopher

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 04:12:09 AM »
The Truth Seeker, do you need more time off?  Stop spamming the fora with this, or you will be on time out.