To Pongo, RE: Meteorite Impacts

• 26 Replies

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
To Pongo, RE: Meteorite Impacts
« on: April 17, 2015, 03:37:14 AM »
As requested, I'm asking this in Debate:

It's a myth that meteors strike the earth.  Many serious round-earth scientists believe this as well.

As posting the image is getting tedious, I'll just gesture pointedly towards my icon.

Could you please provide examples of these 'serious round-earth scientists', giving special attention to the fact you chose to use the words 'serious' and 'scientists'.
Thank you.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Mikey T.

Re: To Pongo, RE: Meteorite Impacts
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 04:14:53 AM »
Wait, who actually believe that meteorites have not and do not hit Earth?

No serious scientists anywhere believes this is the case. 

Also the use of round-earth in front of scientist is superfluous, as there are no real flat Earth scientists.  To believe in flat Earth, concave Earth, cone Earth, dual Earth, you have to ignore most of science.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:09:18 AM »
As requested, I'm asking this in Debate:

It's a myth that meteors strike the earth.  Many serious round-earth scientists believe this as well.

As posting the image is getting tedious, I'll just gesture pointedly towards my icon.

Could you please provide examples of these 'serious round-earth scientists', giving special attention to the fact you chose to use the words 'serious' and 'scientists'.
Thank you.

No, the list is too long.  Instead I'll list fields of science that I am confidant >99% believe meteors never strike the earth.

Astronomy
Astrophysics
Cosmology
Cosmogony
Astrochemistry
Space Science
Planetary Science

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:15:00 AM »
No, the list is too long. 
You don't need to list every one of them. Pick, say, three at random.

Instead I'll list fields of science that I am confidant >99% believe meteors never strike the earth.

*gestures at icon*
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »
No, the list is too long. 
You don't need to list every one of them. Pick, say, three at random.

Well, I don't have a comprehensive list to properly randomize, but I'll get three popular scientists names that you may have heard of.

Brian Cox
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Stephen Hawking

I am confidant that these people all agree that meteors never strike the earth.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:36:59 AM »

*resumes gesturing at icon*

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:25 AM »

*resumes gesturing at icon*

I don't know what to tell you, I can't provide links to them saying that meteors never strike the earth.  I also don't have proof of them saying cats can be black, summer gets hot, or rivers are wet, but I am confidant that they believe in all these things as well.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:54 AM »
Because Pongo is playing games and being pedantic.  Meteors are still in flight, meteorites are ones that have hit the ground. 

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 06:49:02 AM »
Because Pongo is playing games and being pedantic.  Meteors are still in flight, meteorites are ones that have hit the ground.

Don't assume.  BiJane is constantly reminding us all of how smart she is.  Surely she couldn't have mistaken a meteor for a meteorite.

Techros

• Destroyer of Flat Worlds
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 06:52:28 AM »

I kind of saw that coming.
FEH is like tying rubber ducks to your car to go across the pacific: it might work, but why not take a better way?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »
I don't know what to tell you, I can't provide links to them saying that meteors never strike the earth.  I also don't have proof of them saying cats can be black, summer gets hot, or rivers are wet, but I am confidant that they believe in all these things as well.

I was assuming you would be able to take in the context of the initial thread, and the title of this one, so I'm assuming you're not merely being pedantic. If you are, just say so.
Care to share why you're confident?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
Meteors and meteorites are two different things... One strikes the earth and one doesn't.  Most scientists believe that meteors don't strike the earth.  If knowing the difference between the two is being pedantic then I suppose I am pedantic.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »
Meteors and meteorites are two different things... One strikes the earth and one doesn't.  Most scientists believe that meteors don't strike the earth.  If knowing the difference between the two is being pedantic then I suppose I am pedantic.

It's the difference between an empty cup, and a cup with the slightest drop of liquid in. A meteor is a meteor until it's on the ground. If someone offers to fill an empty glass, you're not going to complain that you can never fill an empty glass, because it stops being empty at the slightest molecule.
Pay attention to context.

If you really want to get technical, it's still a meteor in the atmosphere, and in the atmosphere there's still going to be dust and fragments of earth, so meteors do strike earth. They simply stop being called meteors when they're at rest on the surface: but while they're moving down, and for that matter at the first instant of impact, they're meteors striking Earth.

But being that pedantic and picky, it's just silly, isn't it?

?

BJ1234

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 07:39:42 AM »

Don't assume.
Not assuming at all.  Because that is the very definition of being pedantic.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 07:41:37 AM »
If you really want to get technical, it's still a meteor in the atmosphere

Actually, meteors only exist in the atmosphere (atmoplane).

Mikey T.

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:11:03 AM »

If I were still allowed to give points, jroa would get 50 for timing and overall comedic style. 
Yes, the rocks that sometimes hit Earth, from space (or the aether whirlpools if you wish), are asteroids while outside the atmosphere, meteors when they come into contact with the atmosphere, and meteorites when they hit the ground.

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »

I kind of saw that coming.
Me too.  This sort of pedantry is what stands for wit in the FES.

The weird thing is, I think Pongo might actually think he's being clever.  Complete lack of self awareness.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

dephelis

• Sine scientia ars nihil est.
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 08:37:33 AM »

If I were still allowed to give points, jroa would get 50 for timing and overall comedic style. 
Yes, the rocks that sometimes hit Earth, from space (or the aether whirlpools if you wish), are asteroids while outside the atmosphere, meteors when they come into contact with the atmosphere, and meteorites when they hit the ground.
Ah not quite pedantic enough. While it is true that meteors are referred to as such when travelling through the atmosphere, they are not necessarily asteroids before that. The majority of meteors are caused by matter no more substantial than dust. Even a cometary core entering the atmosphere would be termed a meteor.

Mikey T.

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 08:40:49 AM »

Ah not quite pedantic enough. While it is true that meteors are referred to as such when travelling through the atmosphere, they are not necessarily asteroids before that. The majority of meteors are caused by matter no more substantial than dust. Even a cometary core entering the atmosphere would be termed a meteor.
I stand corrected.  jroa only would have gotten 10 points then.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »

They are generally called meteoroids.  Asteroids are large meteoroids. 

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »
This is example 231,345 showing that round-earthers will argue with 100% confidence whatever shit they think is correct. A cursory Google search would have saved BiJane the embarrassment of confusing terminology, but alas, her research goes only as deep as parroting, "citation needed."

Will this give round-earthers pause in the future? Probably not.

Mikey T.

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
As I stated above that I stood corrected, yes that was my misunderstanding of the differences in asteroids and meteoroids.
Still you should get points for timing and style of the comment in question. 

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
This is example 231,345 showing that round-earthers will argue with 100% confidence whatever shit they think is correct. A cursory Google search would have saved BiJane the embarrassment of confusing terminology, but alas, her research goes only as deep as parroting, "citation needed."

Will this give round-earthers pause in the future? Probably not.

Actually it serves as a much better example of how hard it is for a Flat-Earther to observe little things like context and relevance, and focusing on minor details like semantics when it is incredibly clear what's being said, and a minor note on the original post like "By the way, if I'm being pedantic, which I always am, you mean meteorites, not meteors," would suffice, rather than a claim irrelevant to the question actually intended.

I am fully aware of the difference between meteors and meteorites, but given the question this was based on was about 'meteor impacts', I thought it was rather obvious that laypeople do not necessarily use scientifically rigorous terminology and it's pointless to complain when their meaning is entirely unambiguous.

Will this give flat-Earthers pause in the future? Probably not.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
More like: Serves as an example of how to admit you were wrong.

REr caught? "Oh wait you're right. You were a total pedantic ass about it, but you are correct."

FEr caught? "Yeah that's false. I'm right. You're wrong. Because of exhibit A. Oh you want a source for exhibit A? Let me move onto unrelated exhibit B and a discussion about fairies."

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
More like: Serves as an example of how to admit you were wrong.

REr caught? "Oh wait you're right. You were a total pedantic ass about it, but you are correct."

FEr caught? "Yeah that's false. I'm right. You're wrong. Because of exhibit A. Oh you want a source for exhibit A? Let me move onto unrelated exhibit B and a discussion about fairies."

BiJane didn't admit she was wrong.  She railed about me being pedantic and claimed she knew all along...

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 12:19:36 PM »
BiJane didn't admit she was wrong.  She railed about me being pedantic and claimed she knew all along...

I was wrong if we were talking about meteors, you are wrong if we are talking about meteorites.
You just focused more on details of word choice in another thread, which makes you pedantic, and your posts pretty pointless.

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »

Let's use your own pedantry against you.
You claim the earth is flat. It cannot be flat because I can see a hill from my house. Flat Earth disproven.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.