Gravity, Earth Guts, and the Great Bowl of Soup

• 31 Replies
Gravity, Earth Guts, and the Great Bowl of Soup
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »
Dear jolly good flat-Earthers,

Although skeptical of the idea, I was intrigued by your whole idea of the illusion of gravity caused by acceleration of the Earth.  I present to you my inquiry.

First of all, from where does this acceleration originate?  Is there a specific source or is it a force that simply exists?  And is there a specific point (or area) in the Earth at which it tugs?  Or does it always pull the entire ground in the direction we refer to as 'up?'

If there is a specific point or area in the Earth at which it tugs, how does the Earth keep all of its guts in?  There are lots of non-solids deep within the Earth; what prevents them all from leaking out?  What prevents huge areas from loosening from the rest of the Earth over the course of billions of years and being left behind by the accelerating disk of our world?  Is the ground contained within some colossal, solid bowl?  And if so, how come nobody's ever found any traces of it? 

If the entire ground is being pulled by this mysterious force, then how is "ground" defined?  Does this mean that we could dig rocks out of the Earth, and that these rocks would be unaffected by the change of velocity?  Or do the rocks somehow lose this quality once dug out?  If the entirety of the ground is accelerating upward at the same rate, how do areas of ground collapse, and why are rocks, themselves compressed by the force that pulls things downward?

-TheBlueBandito

Re: Gravity, Earth Guts, and the Great Bowl of Soup
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 05:32:30 PM »
Do you really thin the Earth is round

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
Do you really thin the Earth is round
  I think it is much more likely than the Earth is round than that it is flat, but I am willing to keep an open mind.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »
Think of it like wind blowing on a sail.  The wind blows against the sail and pushes it, but anything on the other side of the sail will not be directly affected by the wind because the sail is blocking it.  This theory is known as the Aetheral Wind theory, or AW for short. 

Mikey T.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »
Most of the questions you would think to ask has already been , but to add to jroa, they think there is a universal acceleration caused by this aethereal wind which originated during the big bang, and due to special relativity the acceleration would never break the speed of light laws.  Also when you ask about the star rotations in the northern and southern hemispheres, there is some of this aerther coming up around the sides of the Earth causing whirlpools which move everything in the sky.  Also all NASA photo's and missions are part of the conspiracy and they stand to lose too much money and power to not continue the conspiracy to defraud the public of the flat Earth truth.
I know that was a little bit of an over simplification but correct me if I am wrong please.

BTW i think all of that is BS, but I still want to know what they believe and why.  So question away, but please do it respectfully as some of us have gone a little overboard with the name calling here as of late.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »
Think of it like wind blowing on a sail.  The wind blows against the sail and pushes it, but anything on the other side of the sail will not be directly affected by the wind because the sail is blocking it.  This theory is known as the Aetheral Wind theory, or AW for short.

Hypothesis not Theory. Aetherial wind is not well substantiated and supported by evidence.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 04:24:41 AM »
Lol hi

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:48:20 AM »
  Okay then.  The wind would need to carry lots and lots of force in order to keep the entirety of our disk accelerating at a constant rate.  Wouldn't that wear away the Earth over the course of billions of years?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 05:18:46 AM »
  Okay then.  The wind would need to carry lots and lots of force in order to keep the entirety of our disk accelerating at a constant rate.  Wouldn't that wear away the Earth over the course of billions of years?

It probably would.  My theory is that the AW produces: a) heat from friction that is conducted upwards towards our side of the Earth, b) a charge at the bottom of the Earth caused by electrons being stripped from the Earth itself, and c) material ripping off of the bottom of the Earth and being carried along with the AW as it is diverted around the Earth and which then falls back to the Earth as meteorites. 

The Ellimist

• "Let us play a game, Crayak."
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »

It probably would.  My theory is that the AW produces: a) heat from friction that is conducted upwards towards our side of the Earth, b) a charge at the bottom of the Earth caused by electrons being stripped from the Earth itself, and c) material ripping off of the bottom of the Earth and being carried along with the AW as it is diverted around the Earth and which then falls back to the Earth as meteorites.

Or the Earth is round.
Additionally, we cannot entirely rule out the nefarious effects of demons, spirits, gnomes, and wizards on our society's ability to comprehend our flat earth as it really is. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »

Or the Earth is round.

You have convinced me.  Thanks. 

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »

Or the Earth is round.

Well...................mayb-......no. I must go back and create 10 new properties for aether, and a new "theory". Give me a second.

What's that you say? Occam's what? Raz-.... oh look at the time I must be on my way!

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »
Check my forum signature for proof that the Earth is round.
                        |
                        |
                        |
                        |
                        |
                       \/
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 01:23:09 PM »

Wouldn't much more of it be swept up, up, and away forever by the aetherial winds?  After all, the ratio of surface area to mass would be much, much higher compared to that of the surface; the force of inertia would be much, much weaker in the small rocks sailing off into space.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
What?  I am not sure what you are trying to say, but I am fairly sure you did not make any calculations and are just making stuff up now. 

The Ellimist

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 10:35:24 PM »

Or the Earth is round.

"Convinced you?" You already are a Round Earther jroa.
Additionally, we cannot entirely rule out the nefarious effects of demons, spirits, gnomes, and wizards on our society's ability to comprehend our flat earth as it really is. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 03:32:08 AM »

Or the Earth is round.

This is the upper fora.  It is OK to joke around like that in the lower fora, but the upper fora are for serious discussions. 

The Ellimist

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 08:45:30 AM »

Or the Earth is round.

This is the upper fora.  It is OK to joke around like that in the lower fora, but the upper fora are for serious discussions.

I'm not joking. It's a well-known fact that you do not actually believe in Flat Earth.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 09:38:56 AM »
Is the aetheral wind simply the collective movement of various air molecules as it is above the surface of the earth, or is it the movement of particles of some other type?  Why does the aetheral wind only move in ONE direction all the time, unlike the winds on earth that change direction constantly?
There's something in this forum that makes you can't speak well...

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 12:54:07 PM »
Is the aetheral wind simply the collective movement of various air molecules as it is above the surface of the earth, or is it the movement of particles of some other type? 

The Aetheral Wind is made out of Aether.

Why does the aetheral wind only move in ONE direction all the time, unlike the winds on earth that change direction constantly?

Why do Galaxies travel away from each other in only one direction in RET?  Your question seems a little nonsensical. 

Mikey T.

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
Why do Galaxies travel away from each other in only one direction in RET?  Your question seems a little nonsensical. 

Uhh where did you hear that?  That's not true.

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 03:07:59 AM »
Is the aetheral wind simply the collective movement of various air molecules as it is above the surface of the earth, or is it the movement of particles of some other type? 

I understand this, but I do not know what "aether" is itself.  Is aether, say for example, made up of oxygen, nitrogen and argon similar to the air we breath, or is it composed of predominately other gasses?  Can humans breath aether and survive?  TIA.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 03:19:21 AM »

Are you claiming that any two galaxies are moving away from each other in more than one direction?  Are they zigzagging now? 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 03:20:31 AM »

I understand this, but I do not know what "aether" is itself.  Is aether, say for example, made up of oxygen, nitrogen and argon similar to the air we breath, or is it composed of predominately other gasses?  Can humans breath aether and survive?  TIA.

Nobody knows for sure what the Aether  is made out of.  It may not even be matter, for all we know.  We can only speculate. 

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 06:18:53 AM »

Why does the aetheral wind only move in ONE direction all the time, unlike the winds on earth that change direction constantly?

1. If AW is made out of aether, then from what is made out aether itself?
2. What direction do you exactly mean?
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 07:19:35 AM »
Because that's the direction they were accelerated in by the big bang.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Mikey T.

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »

Are you claiming that any two galaxies are moving away from each other in more than one direction?  Are they zigzagging now?
Nope.  Nice strawman.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Strawman Fallacy | Idea Channel | PBS Digital Studios
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:22:20 AM by Mikey T Lovzballs »

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 03:07:19 AM »
Nobody knows for sure what the Aether  is made out of.  It may not even be matter, for all we know.  We can only speculate.

I do not understand what you mean by aether "may not even be matter".  If aether is NOT matter, how do we know it actually exists?  Magnetism is not "matter" but we can easily prove it exists.  When you say we can only "speculate", are you saying we can only speculate about the existence of aether, or only speculate about what it is composed of?  TIA.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 04:40:44 AM »
I do not understand what you mean by aether "may not even be matter". 

It could be anything.  We don't know for sure. 

If aether is NOT matter, how do we know it actually exists? 

We can see its effects. 

Magnetism is not "matter" but we can easily prove it exists. 

We also do not really know what magnetism is, we can only see its effects.

When you say we can only "speculate", are you saying we can only speculate about the existence of aether, or only speculate about what it is composed of?  TIA.

Take your pick. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:26:44 AM by jroa »

Mikey T.

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 07:26:48 AM »

Magnetism is not "matter" but we can easily prove it exists. 

We also do not really know what magnetism is, we can only see its effects.

Not really correct, we do understand that the type material that becomes magnetized tends to be more prevalent to allow the individual atoms to line up its charge in a way that they have a North and South pole.   This is a form of electrical charge, why charges repel and attract is what is not completely known.  Hence the electromagnetic fundamental force.  If they every figure out what, such as the quantum field theory, it will be explained a little further.