Have you heard about Scientology?

• 72 Replies
?

Cleared Thetan

• Man is sick
Re: Have you heard about Scientology?
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »
You can act like they can't read what I have posted all you want, doesn't change the fact you are glossing over at best and lying at worse.

I hate to have to do this, but you might want to reread your own posts. You have not given any case or evidence whatsoever, just out of context quotes and a biased misunderstanding on your part. I have explained each of your points. Admitted that SPs are a real thing, and I even explained how we handle them. If you are not going to realize these truths, then I do not see the point in explaining myself again. That would be silly, don't you think?

Do you have the same sort of issue with excommunication in Christianity, Judaism? If not, it seems you are being biased.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
You can act like they can't read what I have posted all you want, doesn't change the fact you are glossing over at best and lying at worse.

I hate to have to do this, but you might want to reread your own posts. You have not given any case or evidence whatsoever, just out of context quotes and a biased misunderstanding on your part. I have explained each of your points. Admitted that SPs are a real thing, and I even explained how we handle them. If you are not going to realize these truths, then I do not see the point in explaining myself again. That would be silly, don't you think?

Do you have the same sort of issue with excommunication in Christianity, Judaism? If not, it seems you are being biased.

The problem is you are the only one showing a bias, I am posting quotes from your website and your founder that are showing that your cult is run like a cult and you are ignoring it.

Also, until you provide an official list, I'll stick with this 43 pages of people and groups deemed suppressive (double column)

http://www.antisectes.net/suppressive-groups-and-individual-soed-2830-1991.pdf

Also that is over 20 years old, I would guess its grown since. Doesn't seem all THAT rare to me, does it seem that rare to you?

And yes I do have a problem with excommunication. All religion should be about inclusion and helping those less fortunate, including the mentally handicapped.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Socratic Amusement

• An Exercise in Witty Exploration
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
I am sorry you feel that way. I found it very enlightening.

Metaphysical pseudo-science can be quite entertaining. Unfortunately Hubbard spent little time entertainment, and more time on a dreary, simple, unflattering writing style. If he had at least jazzed up his metaphysical pseudo-science to be mentally engaging, I might recommend it as a read.

But, as I said, he didn't. Hubbard wasn't that good of a sci-fi writer, and his exercises into other genres didn't really pay off either.

You want an excellent 50's sci-fi writer? Check out Isaac Asamov. Great stuff. Much more compelling.
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »

Metaphysical pseudo-science can be quite entertaining. Unfortunately Hubbard spent little time entertainment, and more time on a dreary, simple, unflattering writing style. If he had at least jazzed up his metaphysical pseudo-science to be mentally engaging, I might recommend it as a read.

But, as I said, he didn't. Hubbard wasn't that good of a sci-fi writer, and his exercises into other genres didn't really pay off either.

You want an excellent 50's sci-fi writer? Check out Isaac Asamov. Great stuff. Much more compelling.

I'm a Heinlein guy myself.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Socratic Amusement

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »

Starship Troopers is an interesting examination of soldiering and outside political affiliation, I'll give you that.

Still, Asamov is a better world builder, so to speak. He feels like he really fleshed out his sci-fi concepts, if you understand my meaning.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »

Starship Troopers is an interesting examination of soldiering and outside political affiliation, I'll give you that.

Still, Asamov is a better world builder, so to speak. He feels like he really fleshed out his sci-fi concepts, if you understand my meaning.

I do, I also really like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but with Asimov I think I just felt so burned by how the Foundation series went that I can't make myself pick him over Heinlein. lol

Socratic Amusement

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »

I do, I also really like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but with Asimov I think I just felt so burned by how the Foundation series went that I can't make myself pick him over Heinlein. lol

What about the Foundation series burned you out?

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »

I really liked the idea of following a civilizations fall, the rise of a new one and so forth. When it started going with finding earth and the child mind and how the path had been broken I was just like, why? I guess as an ending that wasn't and the civilization was good!

Maybe I should reread it.

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
Again, can you prove to me, by scientific studies that have been peer reviewed, that a Reactive Mind exists?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subconscious

One and the same, my friend. Are you debating that the subconscious mind does not exist? Many professionals would disagree with you.

How is the subconscious the same as the reactive mind?

That has always been the Church's and Hubbard's stance. Perhaps you need to read up on your Dianetics, because it seems like you didn't retain much from your first time reading it.

The question being, of course, was he right. And furthermore, do we store "engrams" in our heads, and do they effect us the way he says they do. What about positive engrams? He says nothing about those. Like I said, his book is basically pop psychology for the untrained masses.

Socratic Amusement

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2015, 01:56:32 PM »

I really liked the idea of following a civilizations fall, the rise of a new one and so forth. When it started going with finding earth and the child mind and how the path had been broken I was just like, why? I guess as an ending that wasn't and the civilization was good!

Maybe I should reread it.

Fair point. But maybe you should reread it. I often do. Just for fun, y'know?

ausGeoff

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2015, 02:15:28 AM »
Coincidentally—and maybe serendipitously—there's an article here about how Scientology is controlling two of its most prominent members and spokespeople; Tom Cruise and John Travolta.  It was printed in one of Australia's national newspapers via the Washington Post a couple of days ago.

It's well worth reading, whilst at the same time somewhat frightening to see the power these Scientologists can wield over otherwise sane and normal people who you'd imagine wouldn't be sucked into all this absurd rubbish...

How Scientology Controls John Travolta and Tom Cruise, According to 'Going Clear'

I'd also advise forum members here to be extremely wary of anything/everything this person posting as Cleared Thetan has to say, as his/her kind of insidious proselytizing is typical of cults such as the Scientologists.

This is an excerpt of his first comment to me.....

AusGeoff, you would have me banned to silence me?  Is that not a bit extreme?  I am free to express my opinions and views on this forum, just as you are.  It is the draconian mindset that corrupted the human soul to begin with, and I see that you are carrying it with you well. Might I suggest a couple audits?  We do have a church in Australia that you may be interested in visiting.  Here is some more information.  Overall, I believe these audits will improve your general disposition and release some of the hatred and anger that has been building up inside you even before your birth.
I've bolded the particularly offensive/nonsensical/deceptive parts of this comment.  His presumptuous  and condescending attitude towards others is truly obnoxious.  And I stand by my claim that he/she should be banned form this forum, for the single reason that it's nominally a science-based forum, and not meant as a soapbox for every religious whack-job to preach their bizarre, other-worldly beliefs.

And ironically the only "draconian" [cruel, hard, harsh, oppressive, rigid or strict] mindset is that of the Scientologists themselves.  And Cleared Thetan obviously hasn't even taken the time to read any of my other comments or garnered any ideas at all about me personally—as indicated by his/her suggestion that an "audit" might "help" me or that I might be "interested" in visiting one of their churches.  As I've said numerous times, I'm an atheist, a skeptic and a humanist.

Thankfully in Australia, Scientology has a declining population of only 2,163 members [Commonwealth ABS Census 2011] or a decrease of 13.7% since the prior census in 2006.  Laughably, Australians who describe themselves as Jedis now number over 65,000, over 30 times higher than the Scientologist's figure!

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2015, 03:04:34 AM »
Coincidentally—and maybe serendipitously—there's an article here about how Scientology is controlling two of its most prominent members and spokespeople; Tom Cruise and John Travolta.  It was printed in one of Australia's national newspapers via the Washington Post a couple of days ago.

It's well worth reading, whilst at the same time somewhat frightening to see the power these Scientologists can wield over otherwise sane and normal people who you'd imagine wouldn't be sucked into all this absurd rubbish...

How Scientology Controls John Travolta and Tom Cruise, According to 'Going Clear'

Just read the article. Very informational, very well-written. Thank you, Geoff.

I'd also advise forum members here to be extremely wary of anything/everything this person posting as Cleared Thetan has to say, as his/her kind of insidious proselytizing is typical of cults such as the Scientologists.

This is an excerpt of his first comment to me.....

AusGeoff, you would have me banned to silence me?  Is that not a bit extreme?  I am free to express my opinions and views on this forum, just as you are.  It is the draconian mindset that corrupted the human soul to begin with, and I see that you are carrying it with you well. Might I suggest a couple audits?  We do have a church in Australia that you may be interested in visiting.  Here is some more information.  Overall, I believe these audits will improve your general disposition and release some of the hatred and anger that has been building up inside you even before your birth.
I've bolded the particularly offensive/nonsensical/deceptive parts of this comment.  His presumptuous  and condescending attitude towards others is truly obnoxious.  And I stand by my claim that he/she should be banned form this forum, for the single reason that it's nominally a science-based forum, and not meant as a soapbox for every religious whack-job to preach their bizarre, other-worldly beliefs.

I think you are right that this forum is not the place to attempt to convert others to your belief system. Although I have numerous conversations with people about religion, I don't remember ever trying to make a Jew out of a non-Jew. And although you have talked a great deal about atheism, you have never tried to make me an atheist as such.

And ironically the only "draconian" [cruel, hard, harsh, oppressive, rigid or strict] mindset is that of the Scientologists themselves.  And Cleared Thetan obviously hasn't even taken the time to read any of my other comments or garnered any ideas at all about me personally—as indicated by his/her suggestion that an "audit" might "help" me or that I might be "interested" in visiting one of their churches.  As I've said numerous times, I'm an atheist, a skeptic and a humanist.

He has tried to interest me in an audit as well, which I find vaguely humourous in a dark sort of way, and rather stupid. I mean, I am a Jew. What other religion does he think I'd be practicing other than Judaism? Sure, it is possible to do otherwise, but in so doing, I would lose my Jewish identity, which is of extreme importance to me. So... why would I do that? Aside from the fact that I came to it from personal conviction, coming from non-Observance, to Christianity, and then to the Faith of my Fathers.

And I love how he says that its the only religion that been proven to produce results. If I were an atheist like you, Geoff, my first question would be, what results? What makes Scientology different than any of the thousands of religions out there?

As an Observant Jew, I shall rephrase the question. Who has scientifically proven, using scientific method in a peer reviewed study, and being a disinterested party, that Scientology has produced anything positive that has not been produced within another Faith group or structure of belief or lack of belief? If Cleared Thetan can cite who did this, where and when it was done, then his argument might be worth listening to.

I have met many people who have been uplifted by their Faith. In my extensive experience with the Roman Catholic Church, the Church of England (Episcopal), and other Christian traditions, as well as my time among the Muslims, I can assure you that many people within these Faiths have experienced a tremendous uplift to their lives as a result of coming to Faith in whatever trips their "Faith Trigger", for lack of a better phrase. This uplift and betterment of life has been the equal of my own upon my finding of the beauty of Judaism.

So no, I don't accept the argument that Scientology produces results that are not produced in other religions. In fact, given its tendency to subject the mind and body to slavery, I would say it does the exact opposite. See the article above for details.

And I have known many very moral atheists and agnostics. These are people who simply don't believe in G-d for various reasons (I'll let Geoff explain that one; of course, every non-believer has different reasons for his non-belief), and therefore don't respond to the beauty of religion, or the uplift that it can provide to a believer.

Nevertheless, they can be, and often are, moved by altruism, just as a religious person would behave, in trying to make the world a better place than when they found it. So Scientology has nothing up on them either.

Thankfully in Australia, Scientology has a declining population of only 2,163 members [Commonwealth ABS Census 2011] or a decrease of 13.7% since the prior census in 2006.  Laughably, Australians who describe themselves as Jedis now number over 65,000, over 30 times higher than the Scientologist's figure!

ROTFLMFAO!!! ;D ;D ;D For a religion that's out to convert everybody, they aren't doing a very good job of it. Seriously? The Jedi? You have to be fucking with my head!

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
It's strange that a Scientologist would come here to spread the word of their Church to begin with. You'd figure that they'd at least do a little research on the sites they try to convert before attempting to convert them.  Maybe someone got their links mixed up?
Read the FAQS.