ORION Space Program - Is this a joke?

• 51 Replies

Yendor

ORION Space Program - Is this a joke?
« on: March 25, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »
I just watched the below video and NASA must be trying to play an April fools joke on us early. A young NASA engineer is telling us all the wonder things ORION will be able to do and all the problems that will have to be overcome. Are they kidding, I thought we overcame these very same problems back in the '60's before we sent people to the moon. Either the new generation of engineers can't read actual paper blue prints, Some idiot threw all the old APOLLO Moon Mission paperwork away or they finally realized the conspiracy theorist must be right, we never actually went to the moon. Whether you believe in a round Earth or a flat Earth, you have to admit this is hard to believe it's real.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: ORION Space Program - Is this a joke?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
The challenges are the same, but much of the technology is new and must be tested.  Why is that such a surprise? ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Yendor

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »
The challenges are the same, but much of the technology is new and must be tested.  Why is that such a surprise? ???

Oh, I guess you are right. This new technology humans may not survive going through the Van Allen Belt like the old technology humans did. My bad.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 02:52:12 PM »

Oh, I guess you are right. This new technology humans may not survive going through the Van Allen Belt like the old technology humans did. My bad.

The Apollo missions only had to pass through the van alen belts twice at high speed while the Orion is meant to shield humans from more prolonged radiation.  Radiation shielding is not rocket science, concrete can do it.  It's not like it's a new technology, the only reason it's being tested is so NASA doesn't leave any stone unturned so they can be 100% sure that it's safe.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:08:02 AM »

Actually, that video said nothing about the astronauts having a problem with the Van Allen belt.  It said that the electronics needed special shielding.  The Apollo guidance computers were very crude and very rugged.  Modern electronics are much more sophisticated and more susceptible to damage from radiation, which is why the shielding must be tested.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 06:43:12 AM »
When it comes to space travel, no one can ever prove it is real. This is one of those things you can always doubt about, and you would always be right.

Yendor

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:43:32 AM »
When it comes to space travel, no one can ever prove it is real. This is one of those things you can always doubt about, and you would always be right.

How right you are. You'd think by now we would know for sure.
                              George Orwell

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »

There are hundreds of thousands of photos, hundreds of astronauts, milions of engineers and scientists, amateurradio operators and astrophotographers, and many commercial space agencies that all seem to agree that space travel is real.  You can even see the ISS, space ships, and satellites with the naked eye.  Rocket launches are public events.  How could they make it more obvious that space travel is real?  Do you know how many people would have to be in on a conspiracy in order to fake a rocket launch?

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 02:23:33 PM »

99.99% of the population do know for sure. Only conspiracy nuts believe otherwise.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Yendor

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 03:17:28 PM »

There are hundreds of thousands of photos, hundreds of astronauts, milions of engineers and scientists, amateurradio operators and astrophotographers, and many commercial space agencies that all seem to agree that space travel is real.  You can even see the ISS, space ships, and satellites with the naked eye.  Rocket launches are public events.  How could they make it more obvious that space travel is real?  Do you know how many people would have to be in on a conspiracy in order to fake a rocket launch?

Did you see the movie Capricorn One?
                              George Orwell

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »

99.99% of the population do know for sure. Only conspiracy nuts believe otherwise.
just living the dream arn't ya. While the rest of the world is moving now to the bank of china for global funding . The US has lost its credibility
Just great not 😢
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »
And just how long did that conspiracy last?

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 04:14:38 PM »
long enough for Wall st to rape & pillage.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »
long enough for Wall st to rape & pillage.
Wall Street raped and pillaged based on a movie?  ???

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »

No, and unless it mentions how NASA could fake a rocket launch despite the hundreds of thousands of people involved it's not relevent to this conversation.  The entire construction process of a rocket and you can even take tours of the vehicle assembly building.  The only people that ever touch the rocket are the astronauts and hundreds of thousands of engineers, the people in charge only give the orders.  How would a rocket launch be faked if so many people are involved?  Are they all conspirators?  Even making a real rocket and launching it with nobody in it would take hundreds of thousands of conspirators including the people who designed and built the lauch tower and anyone who sees the astronauts when they are supposed to be on space.  It's also worth noting that bring a convicted felon is not a requirement for becoming an astronaut.

?

tappet

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 01:24:20 AM »
3:40 into the video has left me confused, did he say "before we send people through this region"
Or did he mean "before we send more people through this region"
Could a ball earther clarify this for me please?

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 04:10:57 AM »
3:40 into the video has left me confused, did he say "before we send people through this region"
No.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 07:48:38 AM »

I think he meant "before we send people through this region in the Orion".

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 12:50:35 PM »

That guy is probably an accredited scientist. How dare you try and comprehend what he meant to say?

Sir, you would do better if you just listened to the overly dramatic music and watched the awe inspiring CGI, and believed.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »

That guy is probably an accredited scientist. How dare you try and comprehend what he meant to say?

Sir, you would do better if you just listened to the overly dramatic music and watched the awe inspiring CGI, and believed.

Why should we be expected to know if that guy believes in the Apollo Conspiracy Theory?  I mean, it is overwhelmingly likely that he does not believe in that dumb conspiracy theory, but why are we being asked to be his interpreter?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »

Why should we be expected to know if that guy believes in the Apollo Conspiracy Theory?  I mean, it is overwhelmingly likely that he does not believe in that dumb conspiracy theory, but why are we being asked to be his interpreter?

What on earth are you on about now? Lay off the liquor, bub.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »

What on earth are you on about now? Lay off the liquor, bub.

Give us a kiss jimmy.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »

You do realize that the original quote doesn't suggest any kind of conspiracy you degenerate? The confirmation bias is so strong in you lumps of pickled watermelon.
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 11:25:47 PM »
The Orion space craft has an about five meters diameter rounded heat shield of thin titanium plate on which 25-50 mm high fiber glass honeycomb matrixes are fitted. An epoxy novolac resin with special additives - AVCOAT - is then injected into each honeycomb space. Total volume of AVCOAT is less than one cubic meter that would evaporate or burn off quite easily. How this flimsy 'shield' can absorb the heat generated at re-entry without melting, catching fire and burning up is a mystery. The 'shield' can easily be laboratory tested on Earth to simulate its function at 8 900 m/s speed in thin air. It melts and catches fire! It appears that Apollo 11 had a similar heat shield. But its design was then top secret for national security reasons. The US ICBMs have similar shields to prevent them from burning up at re-entry. You should wonder how long this joke will go on.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
The Orion space craft has an about five meters diameter rounded heat shield of thin titanium plate on which 25-50 mm high fiber glass honeycomb matrixes are fitted. An epoxy novolac resin with special additives - AVCOAT - is then injected into each honeycomb space. Total volume of AVCOAT is less than one cubic meter that would evaporate or burn off quite easily. How this flimsy 'shield' can absorb the heat generated at re-entry without melting, catching fire and burning up is a mystery. The 'shield' can easily be laboratory tested on Earth to simulate its function at 8 900 m/s speed in thin air. It melts and catches fire! It appears that Apollo 11 had a similar heat shield. But its design was then top secret for national security reasons. The US ICBMs have similar shields to prevent them from burning up at re-entry. You should wonder how long this joke will go on.

It's not supposed to survive reentry, it's an ablative heat shield meaning that as a ship reenters the heat shield melts away and as the molten material falls off it caries the heat away with it.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »

More proof Anders is an incompetent engineer. He does not even try to understand the basic principles being tested.

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »

My favorite type of defenses. If it happened in a movie then surely it must be like real life.

My family watches way more movies than me, as do all their friends. When I was planning a trip and going to stay in many hostels they were like, haven't you seen the movie Hostel?

-_-
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Heiwa

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 08:47:10 PM »

It's not supposed to survive reentry, it's an ablative heat shield meaning that as a ship reenters the heat shield melts away and as the molten material falls off it caries the heat away with it.

You are right. It will melt away very easy due to the friction and then the whole space craft/capsule will melt too. Imagine being protected by only 25-50 mm resin (plastic) which cannot absorb much heat at all at re-entry. That plastic heat shields do not work is however a military secret in the interest of US national security. Heat shields are fitted on all US InterContinental Ballistic Missiles with their nuclear warheads to destroy Russia when necessary. 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
You are right. It will melt away very easy due to the friction and then the whole space craft/capsule will melt too. Imagine being protected by only 25-50 mm resin (plastic) which cannot absorb much heat at all at re-entry. That plastic heat shields do not work is however a military secret in the interest of US national security. Heat shields are fitted on all US InterContinental Ballistic Missiles with their nuclear warheads to destroy Russia when necessary.

It only needs to survive for a few minutes.  Do you know how much heat it would take to melt such a large amount of material, especially when that material is an insulator and has a high melting point?  That would take a lot of heat, which is incidentally (actually this is on purpose) slightly more heat then would be transferred to the material during a standard reentry procedure.  I could do some math and prove this if you want, unless you are scared of the results in which case I will do it anyway.

Heiwa

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 12:01:58 AM »

Do you know how much heat it would take to melt such a large amount of material, especially when that material is an insulator and has a high melting point? 

Yes, according http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0030/0901b8038003042d.pdf?filepath=/296-00279.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc :

With Glass Transition Temperatures (Tg) ranging from 259-491°F (126-255°C), DOW Epoxy Novolac resins offer excellent heat resistance in cured systems.

As the heat shield will be subject to temperatures >10 000°C it and the complete space craft will disintegrate within seconds.