How do flat earthers explain satellite radio?

• 151 Replies
How do flat earthers explain satellite radio?
« on: March 18, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »
Today I drove about 260 miles from Louisville, KY to St. Louis, MO and listened to SiriusXM satellite radio the whole way.  The  signal was always perfect (at least to my ear) and never varied.  If satellites don't exist, please answer the following:

1) FM radio signals get progressively weaker as you drive further from their source, but the SiriusXM signals never degrade. Why don't they?

2) Why would SiriusXM say that they use satellites if they don't?  Their customers (like me) care only about listening to music and not the technology used to deliver it.  So if they are simply using a different kind of radio signal or a different kind of receiver, why try to hide it given that customers wouldn't care either way?
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

?

Zekaria

• Woohoo!
Re: How do flat earthers explain satellite radio?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:26:12 AM »
Something something aether, something something bendy waves.
How do you know that you know that you know?

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:44:21 AM »

Doesn't look like they use satellites to me....
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:49:54 AM »

Doesn't look like they use satellites to me....

Why?
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

iWitness

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 07:00:35 AM »
Look at all those markets they are missing... they could really increase their profits branching out to you know.... the rest of the world! LOL

Seems like they have figured out a way to broadcast crystal clear radio in the U.S. but not anywhere else. I wonder why that is? Why not put a couple more satellites up and really capitalize on this amazing innovation.

More realistically they have two very powerful radio towers as indicated by the map.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:10:04 AM »
Look at all those markets they are missing... they could really increase their profits branching out to you know.... the rest of the world! LOL

Seems like they have figured out a way to broadcast crystal clear radio in the U.S. but not anywhere else. I wonder why that is? Why not put a couple more satellites up and really capitalize on this amazing innovation.

More realistically they have two very powerful radio towers as indicated by the map.

First of all, I doubt there is much of a market for American radio outside of the states, even in English speaking countries.

Second, communications satellites are geostationary - they are always over the same part of the world. Otherwise how would you get a continuous signal? Think about it.

There are different satellites permanently over America, Europe, China etc etc.
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 07:21:33 AM »
Today I drove about 260 miles from Louisville, KY to St. Louis, MO and listened to SiriusXM satellite radio the whole way.  The  signal was always perfect (at least to my ear) and never varied.  If satellites don't exist, please answer the following:

1) FM radio signals get progressively weaker as you drive further from their source, but the SiriusXM signals never degrade. Why don't they?

2) Why would SiriusXM say that they use satellites if they don't?  Their customers (like me) care only about listening to music and not the technology used to deliver it.  So if they are simply using a different kind of radio signal or a different kind of receiver, why try to hide it given that customers wouldn't care either way?

I'm from Louisville (louey-ville).  I went to Trinity High School.  Go Rocks!

Anyways, Your satellite radio works because of towers and stratellites.  It's as simple as that.

?

Zekaria

• Woohoo!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »

Anyways, Your satellite radio works because of towers and stratellites.  It's as simple as that.

Sweet.  Where are the locations of the towers and stratellites used for satellite radio?

Why call it satellite radio to begin with if that's not what they use?
How do you know that you know that you know?

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:43:20 AM »
Must be expensive to build a radio network that covers every square inch of your intended coverage area. A signal that never degrades. And then in top of that, keep it all a secret.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Mikey T.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 10:58:18 AM »
Not to mention, completely digital.  I see that most of the people arguing here doesn't understand the differences in transmission of digital and analog signals.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »

Stratellites are not the explanation for any satellite-claimed activity. This was proved long ago. Do a search, you idle creep.
As Mark Knopfler once said, "Sometimes you're the Louisville slugger, baby. Sometimes you're the ball."
You're the ball.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 03:57:23 PM »
Although none of the flat earthers have answered the question about how satellite radio works, let's temporarily move to my second question which no flat earther even attempted to answer:

Why would SiriusXM say that they use satellites if they don't?  Their customers (like me) care only about listening to music and not the technology used to deliver it.  So if they are simply using a different kind of radio signal or a different kind of receiver, why try to hide it given that customers wouldn't care either way?
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 04:31:32 PM »
Although none of the flat earthers have answered the question about how satellite radio works, let's temporarily move to my second question which no flat earther even attempted to answer:

Why would SiriusXM say that they use satellites if they don't?  Their customers (like me) care only about listening to music and not the technology used to deliver it.  So if they are simply using a different kind of radio signal or a different kind of receiver, why try to hide it given that customers wouldn't care either way?

It's simple - Obama tells them to do so.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

iWitness

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »
LOL @ people that think it would be easier to broadcast crystal clear radio from satellites moving 10x the speed of the bullet 20,000 miles up.... than say, stationary radio towers that already cover damn near every square mile of the U.S.

Mikey T.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 11:26:30 AM »
Once again, I state you do not know the difference between digital and analog signals do you?
Also it is much easier to broadcast from one point in orbit than to cover the entire country with coverage from towers.  You also have never been in the more sparsely populated areas of our country either have you. 
Digital signals are pretty much always in the microwave band.  These types of signals are very easily blocked by anything larger and/or more dense than a raindrop.  As a business entity that is selling a service claiming crystal clear audio and data basically everywhere in the target area, they have to do what they can to deliver.  If you are using microwave signals from a tower, you simply cannot provide the coverage needed.  You would need towers every 40 to 50 miles in wide open areas, and then increase it to towers every 5 to 10 miles in areas with decent forests, then if it the area has a lot of hills, you might as well say you have to have towers on the top of every hill to get line of sight to the low areas.
I have tried to explain this before, the type of signal is important to how you broadcast it.  Higher bandwidth needed (oh sorry, the more stuff you want to send)  requires a higher frequency.  The higher the frequency, the shorter the wavelength, the shorter the wavelength means the less "stuff" it can pass through. 
The navy uses ELF (extremely low frequency) to communicate with submarines.  This is a long process, takes a few minutes to pass a single sentence. 
Digital adds even more fun to the problem as if you lose some of the data, once whatever verification checks are used (usually CRC or cyclic redundancy check) the data may have to be sent again.  For instance if you send the binary for:
Code: [Select]
01000110 01101100 01100001 01110100 00100000
01000101 01100001 01110010 01110100 01101000
00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110011
01110100 01110101 01110000 01101001 01100100
"Flat Earth is stupid"

and the receiver gets
01000110 01100001 00111111 01100001 00101000
00101111 01101001 01110011 01100000 01110011
01110100 01110101 01111110 01101001 01100100
"Fa?a(/is`stu~id"

or you could lose just one bit
01000110 01101100 01100001 01110100 00100000
01000101 01100001 01110010 01110100 01101000
00100000 01101001 01110010 00100000 01110011
01110100 01110101 01110000 01101001 01100100
"Flat Earth ir stupid"

If you took all the broadcast towers in the country, slaved them to just your signal, you still couldn't cover the entire country with them.

The stratellites option is cool and all, but first it hasn't been perfected yet, and second I think someone would have noticed the blimp floating around up there.

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »
LOL @ people that think it would be easier to broadcast crystal clear radio from satellites moving 10x the speed of the bullet 20,000 miles up.... than say, stationary radio towers that already cover damn near every square mile of the U.S.
More technical details please including the frequency plan.

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:21 AM »
The stratellites option is cool and all, but first it hasn't been perfected yet, and second I think someone would have noticed the blimp floating around up there.

There are disproofs posted already.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »

It would be easier to broadcast crystal clear radio from satellites, because they travel in near perfect vacuum, which not disrupts radio flow.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem

Mikey T.

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
You honestly have no idea what you are talking about.  Geostationary Satellites do exist.  Whatever...  Im tired of this.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 09:52:03 PM »
Radio coverage is largely determined by economic concerns.  Why would someone build radio towers to cover thousands of square miles of forest and maybe a few hundred people?  Or thousands of square miles of empty desert?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Mikey T.

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »
Small minds use magic or supernatural for things they don't understand.  They can not perceive that religious texts really shouldn't be taken completely literally.  Sometime you have to explain things to children in fantastical ways since they really cannot comprehend the bigger picture with the hopes that they develop mentally over time to start to understand. 

Going completely off topic here.

So how long is a day to God?

Do you believe in free will or predestination?  (do you make your own decisions or is every single moment of your life already planned out when your soul is created)

Do you think that mankind could possibly fathom how God created the universe and how long it took for a being that time doesn't affect?

How would you explain to a 3 year old child, how something complicated works when they have no frame of reference for the processes involved.  First they have to learn enough to understand the smaller parts of the whole before they could possibly understand the entire process.  So no storks do not bring new babies, sorry but no daddy isn't on extended vacation away from his family, girls are not made of sugar and spice and everything nice and boys are not made of snails and puppy dog tails. 
The point I am trying to make here is, maybe God knew we couldn't understand the complex systems he put into place to make the whole universal system work.  Maybe he had to explain it to us like children which we, in turn, still F@#ked it up when we wrote it down.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 07:12:47 AM »

It would be easier to broadcast crystal clear radio from satellites, because they travel in near perfect vacuum, which not disrupts radio flow.

Yeah, right.  "Satellites" transmit from one to another through a vacuum.  You have cracked the code.  LOL  ::)

Mikey T.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 07:16:25 AM »
Yep its called radio waves.  They actually are this silly thing we like to call electromagnetic radiation. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 07:18:16 AM »
Electromagnetic radiation can only occur on a round Earth?  Please, tell me more about your pseudo-science. 

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »

Yeah, right.  "Satellites" transmit from one to another through a vacuum.  You have cracked the code.  LOL  ::)

Then they transmit through what? Magical aether? No, vacuum.

Mikey T.

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »
Electromagnetic radiation can only occur on a round Earth?  Please, tell me more about your pseudo-science.
Again with trying to turn someones words around.  I never said that.  Go back and read my post.  YOU said satellites cannot transmit signals through a vacuum, I told you they could because of electromagnetic radiation (most people call it radio waves though).

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 07:33:40 AM »
Again with trying to turn someones words around.  I never said that.  Go back and read my post.  YOU said satellites cannot transmit signals through a vacuum, I told you they could because of electromagnetic radiation (most people call it radio waves though).

Electromagnetic radiation is just light. Radio waves are also light. As light can go through vacuum which is obvious, then radio which is light itself but with just longer waves can travel through vacuum also.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 07:36:07 AM »

So, please justify the statement, then. 

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 08:48:50 AM »

So, please justify the statement, then.
EM radation can travel through a vacuum. You see even when air is present, there is still spaces of nothing. Light can srill manage to travel across those spaces. EM radiation does not need a medium to travel.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »

Electromagnetic radiation cannot occur on a flat earth, only on one which is round or toroidal. Aether would prevent the passage of electromagnetic radiation over any distance further than a few metres because of the whirlpools. We know it travels great distances, therefore aether cannot exist and the earth cannot be flat.