The Conclusive Categorical Conspiracy Compendium

• 547 Replies
?

skol

Re: The Conclusive Categorical Conspiracy Compendium
« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2007, 02:15:05 AM »
So the US government are the ones trying to tell people that the earth is round, when the theory that it is round has exsisted since before America did.

Oh and all those seasoned and extreamly experienced sailors who sailed around (note the use or the word aROUND and not across) the world hundreds of years ago just happened to miss this er "ice wall" of yours?

Or were they in on the yet to be established conspiracy too?

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2007, 04:14:35 AM »
Oh and all those seasoned and extreamly experienced sailors who sailed around (note the use or the word aROUND and not across) the world hundreds of years ago just happened to miss this er "ice wall" of yours?

I noticed the word. Do you know the definitions of said word?
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

Gabe

« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2007, 04:52:34 AM »
What about them? That statement does not exclude those from attraction...
What about massless objects attracting each other due to 'gravity'?
That seems a bit off topic...
Quote from: Tom Bishop
There is no evidence for an infinite Earth.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The Earth is infinite.
Warning, you have just lowered your IQ by reading my sig.

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2007, 06:50:55 AM »
you can also get "gravity" by SPINNING part of a spaceship around! ever seen 2001?

and there is no such thing as a "massless object". or are you saying the "shadow object" is actually some sort of HOLOGRAM?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #304 on: November 27, 2007, 06:52:31 AM »
and there is no such thing as a "massless object".
Photons.  Gluons.  Bosons.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2007, 07:02:07 AM »
those are single particles, not "objects".
and scientists are still argueing about whether photons have mass or not, and the existence of bosons is still not fully proven!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 08:18:57 PM by eric bloedow »

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #306 on: November 27, 2007, 07:27:17 AM »
Since when is a particle not an object?

-- Bob Hudson

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #307 on: November 27, 2007, 07:39:24 AM »
Since when is a particle not an object?

Since eric rewrote science
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #308 on: November 27, 2007, 09:43:35 AM »
If you didn't want to be vague, you shouldn't have used the word object.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: November 27, 2007, 10:06:43 AM »
you can also get "gravity" by SPINNING part of a spaceship around! ever seen 2001?
That's centrifugal force, which is also another fictitious force arising in a non-inertial reference frame.

and there is no such thing as a "massless object". or are you saying the "shadow object" is actually some sort of HOLOGRAM?
Massless particles.

« Reply #310 on: November 27, 2007, 02:54:04 PM »
Good, so we finally agree Newton's model is trash and the force of gravity does not exist. That is the main point of my posts, but I guess it must took you thousands of words to comprehend it...

No, not quite.  You can't think of it in terms of right and wrong- only in utility and predictability with respect to a particular level of observational ability.  The "force" of gravity may very well still exist even if Newton's description of it is flawed.

Further, since curvatures in space-time cause accelerations (as objects move through them), and since the Newtonian concept of force is defined as something that could cause an acceleration, one would still not necessarily be wrong in saying "the force of gravity."  Further, in special relativity the definition Force = the derivative of momentum with respect to time, F = dp/dt still holds, so, because gravitation causes changes in momentum with respect to time, once again you could say "the force of gravity" (but I am told that this time momentum must be defined differently- instead of mass times velocity, p = mv,
 it is p = mv/[(1 -v2)/c2](1/2)  Some math wrangling changes this into a "four-force," which replaces the Newtonian concept.  Not sure if GR gravity is defined in some way like this though, but even so, if we use Newton's definition of a force, Einstein's "gravity" still can be called "the force of gravity"- albeit with an * ...

Also, I absolutely disagree that Newton's model is trash.  It is still extremely useful for every day calculations and simple physics, and is easier mathematically.

Finally, since Einstein's model cannot be unified with quantum mechanics as is, it can be considered "trash" as well, if you want to hold it to a similar standard.
The Earth rests on an Infinite stack of Turtles...
Stop raping the llamas!
I'm a platypus gynecologist, damn it!
"I once taught a rabbit to fly with only a string..." -Now

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: November 27, 2007, 07:12:07 PM »
No, not quite.  You can't think of it in terms of right and wrong- only in utility and predictability with respect to a particular level of observational ability.
When did I said Newton's theory is wrong? I said his theory is horribly flawed, mainly because of his definition of gravity as a mysterious force.

The "force" of gravity may very well still exist even if Newton's description of it is flawed.
I don't mind if you like to believe something that doesn't exist.

Further, since curvatures in space-time cause accelerations (as objects move through them), and since the Newtonian concept of force is defined as something that could cause an acceleration, one would still not necessarily be wrong in saying "the force of gravity."
Right, which is why Newton's force of gravity is flawed since its proportional only to inertial mass.

Further, in special relativity the definition Force = the derivative of momentum with respect to time, F = dp/dt still holds, so, because gravitation causes changes in momentum with respect to time, once again you could say "the force of gravity" (but I am told that this time momentum must be defined differently- instead of mass times velocity, p = mv,
 it is p = mv/[(1 -v2)/c2](1/2)  Some math wrangling changes this into a "four-force," which replaces the Newtonian concept.
What, so you're now trying to mix things up to suit your position?

Although causes changes in momentum (or anything: acceleration, velocity, mass, etc) with respect to time, gravitation is not a force. The word "cause" is not "is". And F = dp/dt is not even the force of gravity, in terms of Newtonian mechanics. Gravitation, in Newtonian definition, is "action at a distance", basically that formula you put before.

Not sure if GR gravity is defined in some way like this though, but even so, if we use Newton's definition of a force, Einstein's "gravity" still can be called "the force of gravity"- albeit with an * ...
Uh, Einstein defines gravity as the curvature of space-time, not a force. Again, can we be consistent with correct information?

is not .

Also, I absolutely disagree that Newton's model is trash.  It is still extremely useful for every day calculations and simple physics, and is easier mathematically.
Like I said, Newton's model only works on inertial frames; inertial frames don't apply in the real world.

Finally, since Einstein's model cannot be unified with quantum mechanics as is, it can be considered "trash" as well, if you want to hold it to a similar standard.
You might as well say "since quantum mechanics cannot be unified with relativity as is, it can be considered 'trash' as well." It's all about wording.

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #312 on: November 27, 2007, 08:21:47 PM »
it seems like every thread just ends up being a debate about relativity.

It's getting old.
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #313 on: November 27, 2007, 08:25:59 PM »
well, UA vs Einstein is an important point in the FE vs. RE debate.

?

Loard Z

« Reply #314 on: November 27, 2007, 08:29:30 PM »
not really, considering FE'ers understand Einstein better than RE'ers.
See My Greatness

Optimus Prime

• Autobot Leader: Keeper of the Matrix of Leadership
« Reply #315 on: November 27, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »
LOL!! So since you're I don't know.. for arguments sake let's say Green, ALL Green understand said widget better than Blue? hahahahaha!

Dyslexics are teople poo!

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #316 on: November 27, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »
No, not quite.  You can't think of it in terms of right and wrong- only in utility and predictability with respect to a particular level of observational ability.
That entirely depends on your goal.  If your goal isn't in the applied sciences (at least in the short term), then this isn't true at all.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #317 on: November 28, 2007, 07:49:20 AM »
ALL FErs reject einstien COMPLETELY, because ALL gravitation-related experiments have PROVEN him right and PROVEN UA wrong!

oh, and maybe photons DO have mass, as shown by the "solar wind", which means they are NOT "massless"! that's what i meant when i said "massless object" was a contradiction!

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #318 on: November 28, 2007, 07:51:11 AM »
oh, and maybe photons DO have mass, as shown by the "solar wind", which means they are NOT "massless"! that's what i meant when i said "massless object" was a contradiction!
Photons do not have mass.  They carry momentum.  Are you ever going to do a little research before you type?

-- Bob Hudson

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #319 on: November 28, 2007, 07:55:47 AM »
YOU should do some research:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

notice it says: momentum is the PRODUCT of MASS and VELOCITY.
momentum=mass*velocity.

therefore, a object with zero mass would have zero momentum!

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #320 on: November 28, 2007, 10:57:43 AM »
Momentum for a massless object is defined as:
p=E/c
where E is the object's energy and c is the speed of light.

Perhaps I should have specified for you to do some correct research.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2007, 12:33:25 PM »
When did I said Newton's theory is wrong? I said his theory is horribly flawed, mainly because of his definition of gravity as a mysterious force.

I was responding to you saying Newton's model was trash.

The "force" of gravity may very well still exist even if Newton's description of it is flawed.
I don't mind if you like to believe something that doesn't exist.

I don't believe in it as Newton describes it.  Did I say that I believed in it?

Further, since curvatures in space-time cause accelerations (as objects move through them), and since the Newtonian concept of force is defined as something that could cause an acceleration, one would still not necessarily be wrong in saying "the force of gravity."
Right, which is why Newton's force of gravity is flawed since its proportional only to inertial mass.

But you can still say "force" so long as by force you do not mean mass * acceleration.  It is a wording game.

Further, in special relativity the definition Force = the derivative of momentum with respect to time, F = dp/dt still holds, so, because gravitation causes changes in momentum with respect to time, once again you could say "the force of gravity" (but I am told that this time momentum must be defined differently- instead of mass times velocity, p = mv,
 it is p = mv/[(1 -v2)/c2](1/2)  Some math wrangling changes this into a "four-force," which replaces the Newtonian concept.
What, so you're now trying to mix things up to suit your position?

No, I am saying that Newton wasn't scrapped with Einstein, it was modified and exists as a limiting circumstance withing relativity.

Although causes changes in momentum (or anything: acceleration, velocity, mass, etc) with respect to time, gravitation is not a force. The word "cause" is not "is". And F = dp/dt is not even the force of gravity, in terms of Newtonian mechanics. Gravitation, in Newtonian definition, is "action at a distance", basically that formula you put before.

Not sure if GR gravity is defined in some way like this though, but even so, if we use Newton's definition of a force, Einstein's "gravity" still can be called "the force of gravity"- albeit with an * ...
Uh, Einstein defines gravity as the curvature of space-time, not a force. Again, can we be consistent with correct information?

It is a matter of what you mean by the words you use.  We cannot see the curvature of space-time, we can only see that the mathematical model that includes this also matches reality very accurately.

Like I said, Newton's model only works on inertial frames; inertial frames don't apply in the real world.

The effects of GR are often neglible enough to where Newton's model works perfectly fine.

You might as well say "since quantum mechanics cannot be unified with relativity as is, it can be considered 'trash' as well." It's all about wording.

No, what we can say is that GR is not a complete theory and will be a subset of a larger more encompassing one, and QM is not a complete theory and will be a subset of a larger more encompassing one, but some definitions and ways of understanding both will probably have to be changed... just like what happened with Newton's model.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: username
That entirely depends on your goal.  If your goal isn't in the applied sciences (at least in the short term), then this isn't true at all.

Yes, you are correct.  If we are doing theoretical physics that Newton's model is pretty much useless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: eric

momentum=mass*velocity.

Actually in GR momentum has a different definition.

A good way to see the relation is this:

pc = (E2 - m02 c4)1/2  also, for extreme relative velocities (where E is much much greater than m0 c2 ) you have the relationship of    pc ~ E  ==> you can see where mass can be zero and the object will still have momentum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not really, considering FE'ers understand Einstein better than RE'ers.

One doesn't have to look long to find the logical fallacy of generalization...  Now say what you just said in light of the fact that the vast majority of the people who understand Einstein better than anyone (research phsysicist, physics professors, you know, those with physics PhD's and Masters), including Einstein, were/are RE'res... lol
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 12:45:24 PM by ItRestsOnInfiniteTurtles »
The Earth rests on an Infinite stack of Turtles...
Stop raping the llamas!
I'm a platypus gynecologist, damn it!
"I once taught a rabbit to fly with only a string..." -Now

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: November 28, 2007, 01:06:12 PM »
I was responding to you saying Newton's model was trash.
And how does that have to do with "right and wrong"?

I don't believe in it as Newton describes it.  Did I say that I believed in it?
Then don't say it exists.

But you can still say "force" so long as by force you do not mean mass * acceleration.  It is a wording game.
It's not a wording game; it's equivalence. f = ma = m(vf-vi)/t = dp/dt.

No, I am saying that Newton wasn't scrapped with Einstein, it was modified and exists as a limiting circumstance withing relativity.
Right, so we will just use Einstein from now on.

It is a matter of what you mean by the words you use.  We cannot see the curvature of space-time, we can only see that the mathematical model that includes this also matches reality very accurately.
Which is why I've been saying that Einstein is way more accurate than Newton. Therefore, we shall use Einstein instead.

The effects of GR are often neglible enough to where Newton's model works perfectly fine.
...Except GR works in all frames and Newton only works in inertial frames. In other words, in GR laws of physics are the same in all frames.

No, what we can say is that GR is not a complete theory and will be a subset of a larger more encompassing one, and QM is not a complete theory and will be a subset of a larger more encompassing one, but some definitions and ways of understanding both will probably have to be changed... just like what happened with Newton's model.
Right, which is still a wording game.

?

Loard Z

« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »
LOL!! So since you're I don't know.. for arguments sake let's say Green, ALL Green understand said widget better than Blue? hahahahaha!

wtf did that mean?
See My Greatness

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #324 on: November 28, 2007, 01:34:24 PM »
energy is NOT the same thing as momentum! does HEAT have momentum?

oh, and E=Mc2

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #325 on: November 28, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »
Momentum for a massless object is defined as:
p=E/c
where E is the object's energy and c is the speed of light.

Perhaps I should have specified for you to do some correct research.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Loard Z

« Reply #326 on: November 28, 2007, 01:38:05 PM »
energy is NOT the same thing as momentum! does HEAT have momentum?

oh, and E=Mc2

I hate you and your capitals. And, your poor science and deductive reasoning.
See My Greatness

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: November 28, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »

momentum=mass*velocity.

...Except in that same wikipedia page there's this:

?

Loard Z

« Reply #328 on: November 28, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »
photons have mass anyway.

Just no rest mass.
See My Greatness

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #329 on: November 29, 2007, 05:59:48 PM »
i still haven't heard an answer to my earlier question: HOW would this "conspiracy" TAKE control in the FIRST PLACE without anyone noticing?

anyone heard of the "space race"? that was a COMPETITION to get into space before the russians. anyone think all of that was totally fake?

they launched rockets and an AIRCRAFT CARRIER picked up the capsules afterward. so every single member of the carrier crew would have to be in on it...