How can plane maintain straight line altitude on a curved Earth/altitude adjust

• 13 Replies
User by name 'Geerod' posted this in one of my threads on GLP.. Which is basically a shill setup..

A question to any aviator's on this thread.

Below would be a scenario on a trans Atlantic flight or longer.

When a pilot takes off in a plane and reaches cruising altitude,if the earth was round wouldn't the plane keep ascending higher and higher as he circle's the globe if no altitude adjustment's were constantly being made?

I would imagine he would eventually go into space without making these altitude adjustment's. Correct?

I mean in a flat earth scenario the plane's altitude would always remain fixed,right?

But in a round earth it wouldn't without making constant altitude adjustments.

Correct me if I am mistaken as I am not an aviator.

Please enlighten me somebody on this important issue!
(this user brings up such a great point and another atessment to.the FLATness of Earth.. Thank you Geerod

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
Seriously?

How do you think altitude is measured?

No reason why planes can't continue at a set altitude in a globe atmosphere.
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

User by name 'Geerod' posted this in one of my threads on GLP.. Which is basically a shill setup..

When a pilot takes off in a plane and reaches cruising altitude,if they earth was round wouldn't the plane keecp ascending higher and higher as he circle's the globe if no altitude adjustment's were constantly being made?

I would imagine he would eventually go into space without making these altitude adjustment's. Correct?

I mean in a flat earth scenario the plane's altitude would always remain fixed,right?

(this user brings up such a great point and another atessment to.the FLATness of Earth.. Thank you Geerod

You aren't an aviator? No shit.

A plane will fly according ro the flaps on its wings. If it is flying horizontally there will be small vibrations. It will constantly adjust. As it flies around the globe the vedtical will change very slowly. The plane adjust to it as it flies.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
Yes, if the world were round then a pilot would have to constantly be "turning down" to maintain a consistent cursing altitude.  Round-earthers typically say that the turning is imperceptible and they do it with out thinking or the plane does it for them.  Both answers I find to be wholly unsatisfying and mutually exclusive.

LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
Yes, if the world were round then a pilot would have to constantly be "turning down" to maintain a consistent cursing altitude.  Round-earthers typically say that the turning is imperceptible and they do it with out thinking or the plane does it for them.  Both answers I find to be wholly unsatisfying and mutually exclusive.
This "turning down" you are having doubts over equates to 1˚ over 60 nautical miles. The corrections needed to cope with disturbances due to weather are far in excess of the angular corrections a plane needs as it flies across the globe.
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

ausGeoff

These comments all show a sad lack of the understanding of aviation and geophysics by the flat earthers.  The centre of gravity of the plane's mass is maintained at a constant distance form the centre of gravity of the earth—as is the mean surface radius of the earth itself.  No plane has to constantly "correct" to maintain this distance.  Likewise, how do flat earthers think man-made satellites maintain their orbital height?

And round earthers do not say the plane is constantly "turning down".  If it did, it'd collide with the earth's surface LOL.

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics

When a pilot takes off in a plane and reaches cruising altitude,if the earth was round wouldn't the plane keep ascending higher and higher as he circle's the globe if no altitude adjustment's were constantly being made?

I'm an aviator, I studied at Rzeszów Institute of Technology and you obviously don't know how the altitude is measured.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

Thinking that a plane flaying in a straight line on a round Earth would end up in space is like something a child would think or something you would see in a cartoon. It's a typical example of the unsophisticated infantile thinking required for a person to believe that the Earth is flat.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:12:07 PM by herewegoround »

ausGeoff

I'm an aviator, I studied at Rzeszów Institute of Technology and you obviously don't know how the altitude is measured.

Unfortunately, and although your credentials as an aviator are unimpeachable, Pongo will inevitably claim that you're a paid shill working for the NWO or NASA or the US government, that you're simply a liar, or that you're deliberately spreading disinformation to disparage flat earth theory.

And when it's pointed out that you have far more credible scientific qualifications than the flat earth demi-god Samuel Rowbotham (who in fact had none), then you'll be vilified by the flat earthers as an unprincipled lowlife not worthy of their time.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
Random turbulence and trim error make the plane deviate more then the Coriolis effect and the curvature of the Earth, and the pilot/autopilot will always compensate for a pitch deviation regardless of what caused it.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

What is unsatisfying about a plane auto adjusting? If cruise control exist on cars, I would think a 50 million dollar 60 ton aircraft could auto adjust its altitude. Or is that also part of the great conspiracy?

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics

Planes auto-adjust to the surface by a global flow of air and by mechanics. If you don't believe in air then, you really have something to worry about, but that is just an evidence for air. Second of all - if Earth had been flat, you would have fly in perfect line and there would be no Coriolis effect as it happens on a sphere.

If someone knows Polish or just want to see pretty images done by me, then can go on my blog about flying as a pilot. I can link it up.

cheers
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

Thinking that a plane flaying in a straight line on a round Earth would end up in space is like something a child would think or something you would see in a cartoon. It's a typical example of the unsophisticated infantile thinking required for a person to believe that the Earth is flat.
Or someone maintaining a story he does not actually believe in.

Mikey T.

Ok maybe explaining it this way would help.  Since the air is pulled down to Earth by gravity, it has differing pressure levels (relatively speaking).  Airplanes fly in the air, kind of like swimming really.  The wing of the plane is designed to force the air its going through to swirl above the wing which creates a lower pressure than below the wing.  So think of it like surfing.  water is higher density(pressure) than the air so the surfboard rides on top of the water, no matter what the shape of the wave really is.  Airplanes ride on the higher pressure under the wing than over it.  So if the atmosphere is basically a shell surrounding the spherical Earth with higher air pressure the closer to the ground you get, the plane would follow the curve of the atmosphere without "making adjustments".