Why do we NEVER see the Darkside of the Moon if it rotates on ax like Nasa says

• 154 Replies
Oh, I see now. So you are right just because everyone else thinks like you not because you have any evidence to back it up. Good thinking! What you mentioned is not evidence. You don't have evidence. You can't have evidence. You haven't been to space. You trust someone who is basically making a fool out of you. I definitely don't get it how believing unconditionally in whoever doesn't constitute naivety. No reasonable person should believe a picture is real without evidence it is. In this case, the evidence doesn't exist. It cannot be verified by anyone independently. By the way, pictures are never evidence.

So apparently you've actually been to space yourself, and seen the earth from a distance, and can personally assure me that it's indeed flat? And yet—strangely—you have even less photographic evidence—genuine or bogus—than I do in order to support your contarary claim about the earth's geometry? 

And to claim photographic images are "never evidence" means that you've never been in a criminal law court, where photographic evidence is consistently tendered as the prosecution's evidence.  And if you've not visited the Taj Mahal, the Eiffel Tower, or the Sydney Harbour bridge, and seen only photographs of them, then presumably—using your logic [sic]—they may well not exist?

Like numerous flat earthers here, you simply attempt to repudiate all the established evidence for the spherical planet without ever supplying any viable conflicting evidence of your own.

What's even more absurd is that you're apparently claiming that millions of astrophysicists the world over are wrong and/or lying—whilst at the same time you can't even name a handful of scientists who support your view.  Which in any rational person's opinion sounds ludicrous, even at first glance.

I don't know anyone who has been to the Moon. No one that I know knows anyone who has been there. You don't know anyone either. Your analogy with Sydney is so wrong. The astrophysicists are not superhumans who know everything. What astrophysicist can actually know space? He just looks at it and regurgitates theories read in books. The real absurdity is that people like you believe stuff like this. You think whatever some authority figure claims is fact just because he is a scientist or works at Carnegie Mellon. Being a scientist is a job, scientists don't work by themselves at home. They work for someone, on projects, they do research with set goals etc. They also have bosses. Anyway, you put too much trust in authority. Not to mention, that they couldn't know what space is. They are just theorizing. They don't need to lie as they simply believe in the paradigm they have been taught. Everything about space is equivalent to a cartoon. It can't be otherwise. None of use can verify it. That includes the astrophysicists. The only people I can believe are those who have actually been to space, but since there are no such people, the question about space is totally open. We don't know anything for sure. If you think you do, great. You're just fooling yourself.

ausGeoff

The only people I can believe are those who have actually been to space, but since there are no such people, the question about space is totally open. We don't know anything for sure.

Okay... neither you nor I have been to space and seen the earth.  Nor do either of us claim to actually know someone that has.

So you say the earth is flat and I say it's spherical. Corroborating my belief, I have the supporting evidence of millions of scientists from 100 independent countries all over the world. 

You should also know that more than 530 astronauts/cosmonauts from 36 countries have travelled to space and seen the earth themselves—or are you going to claim that they're all government shills or liars?

Supporting your flat earth belief, you have how many scientists?  Half a dozen?  A hundred?  10,000 maybe?

And can you please name a few of them for us?  I assume you're not just making up the flat earth notion or guessing, and have at least some scientists on board?

The only people I can believe are those who have actually been to space, but since there are no such people, the question about space is totally open. We don't know anything for sure.

Okay... neither you nor I have been to space and seen the earth.  Nor do either of us claim to actually know someone that has.

So you say the earth is flat and I say it's spherical. Corroborating my belief, I have the supporting evidence of millions of scientists from 100 independent countries all over the world. 

You should also know that more than 530 astronauts/cosmonauts from 36 countries have travelled to space and seen the earth themselves—or are you going to claim that they're all government shills or liars?

Supporting your flat earth belief, you have how many scientists?  Half a dozen?  A hundred?  10,000 maybe?

And can you please name a few of them for us?  I assume you're not just making up the flat earth notion or guessing, and have at least some scientists on board?

Your so-called scientists are just regular people like everyone else who want to make a buck. They could care less about the real shape of the Earth as long as long they are paid to do their research in the opposite direction.

Those a re people who got a PhD and had to get a job to support themselves. Tell me how can there be a scientist who works for a university openly believing in flat Earth if the idea is totally discredited in the scientific community? Even if some scientists think the Earth is flat they would never dare say it afraid of being ostracized.

It is like working for the mafia when in fact you're an undercover agent. Sooner or later you would get exposed and killed. The difference is that the flat Earth community doesn't have a lot of money to pay people to infiltrate organizations, so understandably there are no such flat Earth scientists.

Scientists are always after the money(i.e. serving big corpo and lucrative projects), if they are not, they are called crazy scientists and are not really taken seriously.

I guess that is what keeps people from opening their eyes in general. People tend to be afraid to disagree with the majority. There is  a great amount of peer pressure.

It is pretty much the same as in any dictatorship. You can have your opinion, but if you express it openly you risk being arrested or even killed.

Well, it might not be that extreme with the flat Earth idea, but it is still similar. Those who openly endorse it are publicly ridiculed and the lose any credibility thus they are "killed" scientifically and lose any chances of a career. Who would want such a thing?

That is why people don't admit they believe in flat Earth. They probably don't due to the brainwashing. They might not even think about it, as the mental block is so powerful. It is all there due to fear of losing everything and being ostracized. It is pretty simple actually.

No need for conspiracy, it is all peer pressure and conformism. The conspiracy was at the beginning, later on, it is maintained by itself. At the beginning they set up the system and gradually attracted or paid off their followers, whose number exponentially increased to reach the point nowadays when they don't need to be paid to believe the Earth is round, they are brainwashed now. It is the most logical thing for anyone looking for recognition in the world to believe. It is a foundation which if you don't have you're no one. The would get a chance to develop in their career and the society and being recognized as reasonable people if they have endorsed the RE idea, if they don't they become outcasts. It is not because it is true, it is because it is a doctrine which if you don't follow, you're on your own. That is it!

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics

Your so-called scientists are just regular people like everyone else who want to make a buck. They could care less about the real shape of the Earth as long as long they are paid to do their research in the opposite direction.

Those a re people who got a PhD and had to get a job to support themselves. Tell me how can there be a scientist who works for a university openly believing in flat Earth if the idea is totally discredited in the scientific community? Even if some scientists think the Earth is flat they would never dare say it afraid of being ostracized.

It is like working for the mafia when in fact you're an undercover agent. Sooner or later you would get exposed and killed. The difference is that the flat Earth community doesn't have a lot of money to pay people to infiltrate organizations, so understandably there are no such flat Earth scientists.

Scientists are always after the money(i.e. serving big corpo and lucrative projects), if they are not, they are called crazy scientists and are not really taken seriously.

I guess that is what keeps people from opening their eyes in general. People tend to be afraid to disagree with the majority. There is  a great amount of peer pressure.

It is pretty much the same as in any dictatorship. You can have your opinion, but if you express it openly you risk being arrested or even killed.

Well, it might not be that extreme with the flat Earth idea, but it is still similar. Those who openly endorse it are publicly ridiculed and the lose any credibility thus they are "killed" scientifically and lose any chances of a career. Who would want such a thing?

That is why people don't admit they believe in flat Earth. They probably don't due to the brainwashing. They might not even think about it, as the mental block is so powerful. It is all there due to fear of losing everything and being ostracized. It is pretty simple actually.

No need for conspiracy, it is all peer pressure and conformism. The conspiracy was at the beginning, later on, it is maintained by itself. At the beginning they set up the system and gradually attracted or paid off their followers, whose number exponentially increased to reach the point nowadays when they don't need to be paid to believe the Earth is round, they are brainwashed now. It is the most logical thing for anyone looking for recognition in the world to believe. It is a foundation which if you don't have you're no one. The would get a chance to develop in their career and the society and being recognized as reasonable people if they have endorsed the RE idea, if they don't they become outcasts. It is not because it is true, it is because it is a doctrine which if you don't follow, you're on your own. That is it!

If they are regular people just like everyone else, why won't you easily become them? It's so easy, isn't it?
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

Just like every medical doctor is practicing medicine and doing research only for the money, without caring about people's lives and health? There are a lot of people doing fringe research on modest funding because the subject interests them and they want  to learn more than they know. Just for an example prof. Laine has worked years on minimal funding to learn if there's any truth in what has been considered superstition - sound of auroras. He has not been called crazy and laughed at by the scientific community because he's doing actual research instead of posting absurdities on a web forum.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence

I will let my sister in law know that she should actually be stinking rich
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

<utter nonsense>

Thank you for sharing your opinion. See my signature line.

Do you really believe this, or was that just another put-on?

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ausGeoff

Notice how Saros totally avoided the thrust of my question about actually seeing the shape of the earth?  I wonder why LOL?

So Saros... care to try this again?  Or will you simply avoid it a second time?

The Moon as is observed by our VERY OWN EYES.. doesn't not ROTATE.
I hear some of the shills state that they just saw the Eclipse in Britain with their OWN EYES..
Well we ALL. .BILLIONS have seen.. .WITH OUR OWN EYES... that the Moon NEVER ROTATES.

And that is one confirmed fact since the first humans.. all recorded in history.

ausGeoff

I hear some of the shills state that they just saw the Eclipse in Britain with their OWN EYES..
Well we ALL. .BILLIONS have seen.. .WITH OUR OWN EYES... that the Moon NEVER ROTATES.

And that is one confirmed fact since the first humans.. all recorded in history.

Man... I'm glad I don't live anywhere near this texasusaguy!

The guy's obviously a total fruit loop LOL.

Or—more than likely—just another bored TROLL.

::)

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

The Moon orbits around us and always rotates to face us.  Is this really that hard to understand?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics

If the Moon weren't rotating, then it would show us its "dark" side, you obvious idiot.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

Why nobody ever gives the right explanation? YES, the Moon rotate, BUT not around its own axis. The axis of Moon's rotation is the same of the Earth, due to tidal lock. Simple this. Since they use the same axis, Earth always sees the same portion of the moon. If Moon spins around itself - as EVERYBODY says - it would be all visible at some Earth point. Soon or later.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
Why nobody ever gives the right explanation? YES, the Moon rotate, BUT not around its own axis.

???

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Why nobody ever gives the right explanation? YES, the Moon rotate, BUT not around its own axis. The axis of Moon's rotation is the same of the Earth, due to tidal lock. Simple this. Since they use the same axis, Earth always sees the same portion of the moon. If Moon spins around itself - as EVERYBODY says - it would be all visible at some Earth point. Soon or later.
I think that you have a few things mixed up, try again.

JackBlack

WE all have wondered at least once in life... Why the Moon doesn't show its Dark Side... Or other side.. I mean the system has taught us that EVERY planet and moon spins on its axis AND orbits the sun at the same time... Sounds neat but it's false.
Here's how space.com describes the Moon and it's alleged rotation :
The moon orbits the Earth once every 27.322 days. It also takes approximately 27 days for the moon to rotate once on its axis. As a result, the moon does not seem to be spinning but appears to observers from Earth to be keeping almost perfectly still.

Here's the thing... Even while during the Moon is in the process of completing it's alleged orbit of Earth... It's constant rotation on its OWN AXIS should eventually show the other side... That is plain common sense... A part of a Round Earth would witness and observe the other side of the Moon...
Hey just like how our own Earth is supposedly visible from Space changing it orbit and spinning... We've all seen the fake videos from the space station or shuttle showing.the Earth rotating on its axis
No. That isn't plain common sense. That is plain common ignorance and not understanding the motion of synchronous bodies. But don't worry, everyone is ignorant of something.

Get 2 coins, hold one fixed in the centre, This will approximate Earth.
Now, for the other one, first mark one side of it and then place that mark pointing towards the centre coin, then rotate it around its axis (the centre of the coin), while moving it in an orbit around the centre coin.
Make it so the coin rotates once for each orbit. Also make sure the orbit and rotation are in the same direction, e.g. if you are orbiting clockwise, rotate it clockwise.

Note where your mark is pointing. If you do it right, it will always point towards the centre coin. Say you start at the top with it pointing straight down towards the centre coin.
Once you rotate and orbit 90 degrees, the coin is to the right (90 degrees from top), while the mark in pointing left (90 degrees from the bottom).
This continues along such that at 180 degrees, the coin is at the bottom while the mark is at the top (still pointing to the centre), then 270 degrees with the coin to the left and the mark to the right, then back to the start.

At every point along the path the mark faced the centre. At no point did the opposite side of the orbiting coin face the centre.

So no, you wouldn't expect to see the other side of the moon from Earth.

In synchronous motion like this, the orbital speed matches the rotational speed such that the same side (or point) always faces in.

This is akin to Earth being in geostationary (or lunostationary would be more correct I think but I don't know the correct word) orbit around the moon.

Earth's rotation can't be seen from every point in space and you NEVER observe the true rate of rotation for a satellite gravitationally bound to Earth.

For things like the ISS the perceived rotation is primarily due to the ISS' orbit around Earth. However, the rate of rotation doesn't quite match the orbital speed.
For things like geostationary satellites like GOES, Earth appears stationary because they orbit at the same speed as Earth rotates, so they always see the same side of Earth.
For things further out like EPIC/DSCOVR, in L1, they see a rotation of Earth more like its true rotation. It has an orbital period of 1 year, so it sees quite close to the true rotation of Earth, but is off by about 4 minutes.

Here's a video from the fake hoax Galileo Spacecraft :
Rotating Earth from Space (Galileo spacecraft 1990) HD: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Do you have any basis to claim it is fake?

So Earths rotation on its axis is visible from Space but the Moons alleged rotation somehow can't be seen by any side of the round Earth or even from Space?
No. It can't be seen from Earth because it is in a synchronous orbit. You need to view it from outside Earth, but that then gives you issues of resolution.
You should also try to get it such that you are far enough away to have the angle remain fairly constant.

But perhaps the biggest issue is speed.

Is the Moon somehow sacred that Nasa cannot records it's rotation for all to see but it can record perfectly somehow the orbit of far away planets Like Jupiter?

Jupiter is allegedly 365 MILLION miles away and the Moon according to NASA is our nearest neighbor and again according to them is 239,000 miles away

Check this video on YouTube showing the complete rotation of Jupiter on its axis which is supposedly very fast in that it completes it's rotation in just under 10 hours...(by the way...how the heck does a satellite just stay still in space filming this hoax for 10 hours?  Lmao)

Jupiter's full rotation in 2014 best edition!: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
That isn't NASA. That is an amateur.
That isn't perfect.
It is made from multiple observations and stitched together.
It wasn't done by a satellite, but by a telescope on Earth.
It doesn't remain perfectly still but the motion is irrelevant.

Just using your numbers, because I can't be bothered checking atm; Jupiter is 365 million miles away. Even if you were using a satellite like the ISS, its orbit is only 400 km above Earth's surface, which has a radius of 6371km. That gives less than 6800 km for the radius and thus 13 600 km for the diameter, which is less 16 000 km, which is ~ 10 000 miles.
That means you are filming/recording something that is 560 million miles away, while you move around 10 000 miles.
That isn't going to change your angle much.

Before I work it out, I will also include some orbital velocity as well, assuming they are currently aligned with the sun so there motion is parallel.
Earth has an orbital velocity of 30 km/s.
Jupiter has one of 13 km/s. This is a difference of 17 km/s.
It is roughly 600 million km away, at a closest pass.
At its furthest it would be 975 million km.
10 hours is 36000 seconds, where speed difference results in a change in position of 612 000 km.

This is 3 orders of magnitude below the distance.

That would be akin to 10 cm at 10 m. (or 1 inch at 1000 inches). That change is tiny.
It is an angular distance of 3.4 arc minutes.

It doesn't need to be perfectly still to record it.

And again, do you have any actual basis to claim it as a hoax?

I think I will pass on this utter nonsense.. So funny..
 Proves again that our Earth is Flat... That the Moon Or Earth DO NOT rotate on their made up axis.

No. It proves you don't understand scale and synchronous orbits and need to dismiss things as hoaxes rather than address them.

Nope. It is the exact opposite.
If you assume Earth is flat and the moon is a disc which passes overhead, then sure, it doesn't rotate, but then it wouldn't look like a circle all the time (and no, I don't just mean the phases). It would look like a circle in one particular direction, along the axis of the circle. Everywhere else it would look like an ellipse.

If the moon moves, the only way for it to continually look the same is if it rotates to continue to face the same side towards us.
If it didn't rotate then we would see the other side, or at least part of it.

You can even try this yourself.
Have someone walk around you while continuing to face the same direction so they don't rotate, do you always see the same side of them?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:36:14 PM by JackBlack »

JackBlack

Alano is actually somewhat correct.

For a body in a circular synchronous orbit, you can consider it in 2 ways.
One way is that it is orbiting and an axis and rotating around another axis at the same angular velocity.
The other way is to treat it as just rotating around the axis you would otherwise considering it orbiting around.

The 2 methods work to show the motion of the object, it is just that one makes less sense.

However for other things which work differently but have similar motion, you would use the other way.

For a gravitationally bound object it makes more sense to consider it as rotating while orbiting.
For an object you are spinning on a string, it makes more sense to consider it as rotating around the centre.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot

you have how many scientists?  . . .  can you please name a few of them for us?

ausGeoff, you have millions of scientists who agree with you.
I would settle for a list of 163,000.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale

He can't say "the moon does not rotate around its own axis", that makes no sense. You can say, that the moon rotates around its own AND the earth's axis. That's what bound rotation is.

JackBlack

He can't say "the moon does not rotate around its own axis", that makes no sense. You can say, that the moon rotates around its own AND the earth's axis. That's what bound rotation is.

As I said, it can make sense if you actually consider it.
It is akin to an object on a string that you are swinging around rotating around the axis you are swinging it around.

The latter part of your statement I would say is incorrect.
It orbits around the barycentre, and rotates around its own axis.
If it rotates around the barycentre, then any additional rotation around its axis will break the locking.
This is because the orbit doesn't change orientation, while a rotation does.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale

Hey guys, rotate around it's own axis is this: 
Now look at the Moon and tell me if it does that! Of course not. The axis it rotates on is where we are: Earth. The Moon really rotates (it changes it's north), but does it around the Earth's axis. It doesn't matter speed, synchronism, translation, etc. The Moon simply does not rotate around it's own axis, or it's center. Otherwise we (in some point on Earth's surface) could see it all. That looks so simple!

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
because the moon is flat too.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

JackBlack

Now look at the Moon and tell me if it does that! Of course not. The axis it rotates on is where we are: Earth. The Moon really rotates (it changes it's north), but does it around the Earth's axis. It doesn't matter speed, synchronism, translation, etc. The Moon simply does not rotate around it's own axis, or it's center. Otherwise we (in some point on Earth's surface) could see it all. That looks so simple!
Now I feel bad for defending you.

It all depends on how you want to describe it.

You can say the moon rotates around Earth, or you can say it orbits around Earth and rotates around its axis.

Because it is synchronous, i.e. it rotates at the same angular as it orbits, the 2 effects cancel each other out, resulting in the same face facing us.

If it wasn't rotating around its axis, yet orbiting us, we would see different faces.
It needs to continually rotate to keep the same face pointed at us.

Go look at some quadcopter footage.

Clearly some can't get their head around the fact that the moon MUST do one rotation about its axis in order for it to always present the same face to us throughout one revolution around the Earth (technically, around the common centre of gravity, which is still within the earth). One revolution, one rotation about it's own axis.

In my head I try to imagine what it must be like to think like this, and be unable to see it any other way, or understand when someone tries to explain a basic concept.

I think they imagine the moon to be a ball at the end of a stick, glued in place so that it CAN'T rotate about itself. If you hold the stick and turn on the spot, always looking at the ball, you see the same face. And yet, the ball can't rotate on it's own axis - it's glued!

The difference is, there is no stick between the Earth and the moon. Say you could hover steadily above the moon's north pole in a fixed orientation relative to the space around you. Looking down, you would see the moon turn around its own axis once every 28 days. The fact that it does so while also orbiting the Earth, is immaterial. If you could suddenly snatch the Earth away, the moon would just sit there spinning, slowly, once every 28 days.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:24:02 AM by MaxPen »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones

If the Moon weren't rotating, then it would show us its "dark" side, you obvious idiot.
Umm...  Regardless of what Pink Floyd would have you think, we do see the "dark" side of the moon every month.  It's called the new moon.  It's the "far" side of the moon that we never see.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
By the way, there are maps of the dark side of the Moon. So they did "show the world" the other side.

Hahahahahaha yeah maps. Is it drawn in crayon?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
By the way, there are maps of the dark side of the Moon. So they did "show the world" the other side.

Hahahahahaha yeah maps. Is it drawn in crayon?

That's a quote from almost 2 years ago! At that time I didn't even know yet that earth is a butterfly.

JackBlack, do not feel bad about see what nobody else does. Just one question: where is the Moon's "own" axis of rotation? As everybody is saying, of course, is the imaginary line crossing the moon from north to south. If the Moon rotates around that axis (as a ballerina does) EVERYBODY away from it could see all "faces or sides" of it, no matter how fast it rotates. It is so obvious. Moon rotates, BUT NOT AROUND IT'S OWN AXIS, it rotates around Earth's axis due the tidal lock. If it rotates twice the speed, we will continue to see the same part of it until tidal lock keeps locking it to Earth.

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
You are confusing the Moon's orbit around the Earth with the Moon's rotation on its axis. If it rotated twice the speed we would see more of it.
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html