Why does space debris travel 17,500mph but Weather Balloon stays almost still

• 20 Replies
Weather balloons have been sent to an altitude high as 50 miles or about 150,000 feet...yet they are recovered within few miles from where they were launched.
These balloons don't have anything like rockets to propel them..
The alleged space debris... Objects in the millions allegedly somehow though can travel at 17,500 mph in low earth orbit which allegedly starts at 99 miles... And so can satellites magically without breaking up
But all the balloons sent up don't ever to get this velocity
Meaning there are no satellites or millions of pieces of imaginary debris

Weather balloons have been sent to an altitude high as 50 miles or about 150,000 feet...yet they are recovered within few miles from where they were launched.
Citation needed.

Very good!

The alleged space debris... Objects in the millions allegedly somehow though can travel at 17,500 mph in low earth orbit which allegedly starts at 99 miles... And so can satellites magically without breaking up
99 miles is pretty low. Any orbit there will decay very rapidly due to significant atmospheric drag. It's likely that something with a lot of surface area and low strength could begin to break up at that altitude.

OK. So? The altitude is too low (since 50 mi [Citation needed] < 99 mi) and they don't have (or need) a suitable propulsion system (no rockets, remember?) Not to mention that, since they're intended to float in the atmosphere by displacing heavier gases, attempting to make a balloon move this fast through air would destroy it.

Balloons are different from satellites and space debris. The existence of one doesn't mean the other can't exist.

You might as well argue that the existence of airplanes means that balloons can't exist, or the existence of skateboards proves that Formula-1 race cars are imaginary.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mikey T.

Balloons are still in the atmosphere, therefore moving with it so it stays relatively close to its point of origin unless acted upon by high winds.  Also its already in motion when it lifts off because of the spinning of the Earth and without a force like friction counteracting that initial movement it will remain moving that direction.  The air is moving with the Earth so it basically rises up.  There is some drift  since it is rising and getting further away from the center of rotation which means it would need to move faster to stay stationary above a ground point but because of the high surface area in relation to the mass of the balloon, the air keeps the balloon moving with it.
As for the speed of satellites they are placed into an orbit which means they are above the surface of the sphere.  If the surface is rotating at roughly 1000 mph then adding to the distance from the surface only increases the size of the circular path (orbit) the satellite has to travel making its speed have to increase.  If you want to question the speed you need to do the math on how high the reported satellite is from the surface and figure out the new circumference of its path. 
I am at work and will give you these formulas and work them out for you if you wish when I get home in about 8 or so hours.

No need to work any alleged speeds and try to distract people with clever games.. When I've clearly stated that Nasa states this figure of 17,500 mph for low earth orbit objects including space debris and satellites

At 30 miles above Earth in those weather balloon videos you can clearly see Earth for hundreds of miles in either direction... Never a curve.. Are you shills really blind or just intentionally interested in lying with no shame to the obvious that everyone can see with their eyes.
When does this magical 'curve' show up?? Lmao

At 30 miles above Earth in those weather balloon videos you can clearly see Earth for hundreds of miles in either direction... Never a curve.. Are you shills really blind or just intentionally interested in lying with no shame to the obvious that everyone can see with their eyes.
When does this magical 'curve' show up?? Lmao

Why are you duplicating the argument you're making here?

Why are you now at 30 miles instead of 50? Give up on finding confirmation of the higher altitude?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

He has probably realised that 50 miles is more like 250 000 feet.

Mikey T.

No distraction is intended here, just math.  Solid proven math.  Traveling in a circle, you have to travel farther at a larger circle than at a smaller one.
Try to be an adult also and stop immediately insulting people who disagree.

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
You also to understand the relativity of orbital speeds. 17000 mph relative to what? In geostationary orbit a satellite has no velocity relative to the earth. You could say 17000mph relative to the sun, or the centre of the galaxy, in practicality it fairly meaningless.
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

Mikey T.

True, it all depends on the spacial relationship of the item to the point you are measuring against.  I think in this instance is orbital velocity, how fast you are traveling around the circle as if the center of the Earth was stationary.

?

Weatherwax

The sun is hurtling through the galaxy, the galaxy is hurtling through the universe. The absolute velocity of objects in space is pretty arbitary. Which brings up this 9.8m/s/s acceleration of the disc thing. That is relative to what exactly?
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
The sun is hurtling through the galaxy, the galaxy is hurtling through the universe. The absolute velocity of objects in space is pretty arbitary. Which brings up this 9.8m/s/s acceleration of the disc thing. That is relative to what exactly?

The barycenter of the Earth.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Weatherwax

Eh? The earth is accelerating relative to its own centre? I don't understand that.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer

Eh? The earth is accelerating relative to its own centre? I don't understand that.

Sorry, are you talking about the Universal Accelerator?  If so, it cannot be accelerating relative to anything in our neighborhood, because if the Earth ever encountered an object from outside it's reference frame, the Earth's near-light velocity would cause a cataclysm.

I don't think you can answer this question meaningfully.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Universal acceleration doesn't make any sense.

Recently it was claimed that the entire universe was accelerating at 9.8 m/s/s, not just the earth.  Not only that, it was accelerating with relation to a fixed point....within the universe. :P
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Mikey T.

Universal acceleration doesn't make any sense.

Recently it was claimed that the entire universe was accelerating at 9.8 m/s/s, not just the earth.  Not only that, it was accelerating with relation to a fixed point....within the universe. :P

Wait how do you accelerate away from yourself?  Must be the aether again.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

Yep, that is indeed true.  In fact, one of the reasons why balloons don't land exactly where they are launched is because the Earth rotates.

And my computer is magically not disintegrating while sitting there.  Satellites and space debris don't get destroyed because there is nothing to destroy them.  They are just in free fall and there is no air in space.  What do you think would destroy them?

That's because they are not being propelled to that velocity by sky scraper sized rockets.  How is that not obvious?

No, you are wrong.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
Yes, it's amazing that a balloon can go up so high and come back down in the course of many hours without ever being moved by the coriolis effect, yet a sniper has to account for it lest their bullet that's airborne for fractions of a second be spun off course. Curious indeed.

Mikey T.

Yes, it's amazing that a balloon can go up so high and come back down in the course of many hours without ever being moved by the coriolis effect, yet a sniper has to account for it lest their bullet that's airborne for fractions of a second be spun off course. Curious indeed.
Hmm oddly enough balloons are affected by the coriolis effect.  Since they are also much more subject to wind and air pressure than say, a metal bullet, the effect isn't as noticeable.  Yet there is a matter of precision to think about also, a bullet missing by 2 inches is much worse off than a balloon landing 300 ft off target.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther

The Coriolis effect is not a force, it's apparent motion caused by a rotating frame of reference.  Just do some research instead of making me explain it and have it just go in one ear and out the other.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Yes, it's amazing that a balloon can go up so high and come back down in the course of many hours without ever being moved by the coriolis effect
Amazing how someone can make blatantly false statements without any supporting evidence.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.