why we cannot trust scientists

• 731 Replies

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: why we cannot trust scientists
« Reply #660 on: March 27, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »
nature has evolved perfect hunters, perfect defenders, what about perfect hiders?

You ripped that from Doctor Who. Seriously?
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #661 on: March 27, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »
now I can use my experience with talking with creationists. here we go.
if we put a group of people from for example thousand years ago and a group of velociraptors, who would win? people, with a weapon that could kill velociraptors before they even reach people, or velociraptors with tiny brain, whose claws can attack on only 1 meter? that's why people are perfect predators - because of their incredible intelligence in a comparass between them and e.g. dinosaurs.

why aren't people that big as dinosaurs are? there are two not excluding each other explanations. it's because a build of dinosaurs was better at big sizes - they are strongly inclined and long, which makes them balance better and not damage their skeletons in a scale of whole life. second of all - in the times of dinosaurs there was more oxygen than now. now oxygen level is lower than 20% in the air, then it was over 50%. it's been tested and checked in the ambers. some farmers also done the test. they increased the level of oxygen in their glasshouse and let tomatoes grow in it. after some days, they returned, and the tomatoes were sometimes even 4 or 5 times bigger.

You're wrong.

Also, you have absolutely no evidence that humans would win in a fight against velociraptors. Nice theory-crafting, but it's not science and the fact that you are trying to pass this off as some sort of hard fact is absolutely astounding and leaves me dumbstruck.

Adding to this, velociraptors are infinitely faster and more dangerous than humans. If you threw them on the same planet together at the same time, I'd say that velociraptors would have the advantage almost immediately. Humans would have to devise ways of defending themselves, but by that time the velociraptors would have torn their small splintered civilization apart. Simply looking at the anatomy of both subjects makes this clear.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:58:57 PM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

ausGeoff

« Reply #662 on: March 27, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »
Are you denying bioluminescence?

Uh... nope.  Where did I say that?

BTW, I'm getting a horrible feeling in my transverse colon that this is gonna segue into a discussion about moonshrimp.    ;D

« Reply #663 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
if we put a group of people from for example thousand years ago and a group of velociraptors, who would win? people, with a weapon that could kill velociraptors before they even reach people, or velociraptors with tiny brain, whose claws can attack on only 1 meter? that's why people are perfect predators - because of their incredible intelligence in a comparass between them and e.g. dinosaurs.

why aren't people that big as dinosaurs are? there are two not excluding each other explanations. it's because a build of dinosaurs was better at big sizes - they are strongly inclined and long, which makes them balance better and not damage their skeletons in a scale of whole life. second of all - in the times of dinosaurs there was more oxygen than now. now oxygen level is lower than 20% in the air, then it was over 50%. it's been tested and checked in the ambers. some farmers also done the test. they increased the level of oxygen in their glasshouse and let tomatoes grow in it. after some days, they returned, and the tomatoes were sometimes even 4 or 5 times bigger.

You're wrong.

Also, you have absolutely no evidence that humans would win in a fight against velociraptors. Nice theory-crafting, but it's not science and the fact that you are trying to pass this off as some sort of hard fact is absolutely astounding and leaves me dumbstruck.

Adding to this, velociraptors are infinitely faster and more dangerous with humans. If you threw them on the same planet together at the same time, I'd say that velociraptors would have the advantage almost immediately. Humans would have to devise ways of defending themselves, but by that time the velociraptors would have torn their small splintered civilization apart. Simply looking at the anatomy of both subjects makes this clear.
Yeah the anatomy would give them such an advantage.

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #664 on: March 27, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »

You're wrong.

Adding to this, velociraptors are infinitely faster and more dangerous with humans. If you threw them on the same planet together at the same time, I'd say that velociraptors would have the advantage almost immediately. Humans would have to devise ways of defending themselves, but by that time the velociraptors would have torn their small splintered civilization apart. Simply looking at the anatomy of both subjects makes this clear.

you're going off the topic. we're talking about perfect predators. velociraptors were perfect predators at their time, we're perfect predators today. if we would put velociraptors and humans with their pre-done weapons, it's sure that humans would win. You can post there even real soldiers, but I think even medieval soldiers would kill velociraptors from 100 m.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanislaw Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

Vauxhall

« Reply #665 on: March 27, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »

BTW, I'm getting a horrible feeling in my transverse colon that this is gonna segue into a discussion about moonshrimp.    ;D

You certainly implied that the bioluminescence of insects is farfetched.

Let me guess, Geoff, you think that little insects carry around small lanterns. Don't you? I bet you also think these lanterns work underwater, huh?

Have you tried signing up for a forum that's more inclined to children? You might have better luck discussing your "theories" there.  ;D

Congratulations on successfully making me laugh out loud. If you read the entire discussion, you'd see how ridiculous posting a picture of a gun is in response to the argument. First, humans would have to build shelter and defensive measures against dinosaurs, while at the same time being pursued by them and having their families eaten alive. Guns would not be developed due to the amount of research it would take to make one, especially when you consider the absurd amounts of pressure that hounding dinosaurs have on a human's mental state.

If anything, society remain stagnant. Humans would be prey and dinosaurs would be the dominant species on the Earth. Fuck, this is WHY they were the dominate species on the Earth for such a long time... because they didn't allow room for other species to advance. They are the ultimate predator. No amount of smarts is going to save you from a planet full of meat eating dinosaurs.

I don't think you know how many dinosaurs were actually roaming the Earth at that time.  Sure, we'd take out dinosaurs pretty quick in this day and age... but not when we were a fledgling species, no way in hell.
Read the FAQS.

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #666 on: March 27, 2015, 02:50:47 PM »

Let me guess, Geoff, you think that little insects carry around small lanterns. Don't you? I bet you also think these lanterns work underwater, huh?

Have you tried signing up for a forum that's more inclined to children? You might have better luck discussing your "theories" there.  ;D

Congratulations on successfully making me laugh out loud. If you read the entire discussion, you'd see how ridiculous posting a picture of a gun is in response to the argument. First, humans would have to build shelter and defensive measures against dinosaurs, while at the same time being pursued by them and having their families eaten alive. Guns would not be developed due to the amount of research it would take to make one, especially when you consider the absurd amounts of pressure that hounding dinosaurs have on a human's mental state.

If anything, society remain stagnant. Humans would be prey and dinosaurs would be the dominant species on the Earth. Fuck, this is WHY they were the dominate species on the Earth for such a long time... because they didn't allow room for other species to advance. They are the ultimate predator. No amount of smarts is going to save you from a planet full of meat eating dinosaurs.

I don't think you know how many dinosaurs were actually roaming the Earth at that time.  Sure, we'd take out dinosaurs pretty quick in this day and age... but not when we were a fledgling species, no way in hell.

you're going off the topic. we're talking about perfect predators. velociraptors were perfect predators at their time, we're perfect predators today. if we would put velociraptors and humans with their pre-done weapons, it's sure that humans would win. You can post there even real soldiers, but I think even medieval soldiers would kill velociraptors from 100 m.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanislaw Lem

« Reply #667 on: March 27, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »

Strawman again vaux.

who would win? people, with a weapon that could kill velociraptors before they even reach people, or velociraptors

People with weapons, not some proto humans with stones and sticks was a given.

Vauxhall

« Reply #668 on: March 27, 2015, 03:01:17 PM »
In what situation would modern humans face off against dinosaurs? Please use your brains people. I am not arguing an imaginary scenario that would never happen. I was arguing the logic behind the perfect predator. Perfect being almost subjective in this case. My argument still stands. Proto-humans would not stand a chance against dinosaurs. Period. If anything, I responded to a straw man argument made by FlatBrainer, and I suppose that was my mistake.

FlatBrainer's originally contention that humans are the perfect predator is inherently false. Lions, tigers, cougars, and other fast land-based predators are even more "perfect" than humans also.

This argument is about as valid as "if people made weapons that could kill gods, would they be able to kill gods?"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:11:48 PM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #669 on: March 27, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
If humans had to compete with velociraptors one of them two had evolved into something like this:

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #670 on: March 27, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
In what situation would modern humans face off against dinosaurs? Please use your brains people. I am not arguing an imaginary scenario that would never happen. I was arguing the logic behind the perfect predator. Perfect being almost subjective in this case. My argument still stands. Proto-humans would not stand a chance against dinosaurs. Period. If anything, I responded to a straw man argument made by FlatBrainer, and I suppose that was my mistake.

FlatBrainer's originally contention that humans are the perfect predator is inherently false. Lions, tigers, cougars, and other fast land-based predators are even more "perfect" than humans also.

you're wrong. what makes us that we're perfect predators isn't our anatomy, it's our intelligence. lions, tigers, even velociraptors - they had the same thing. not so biggest intelligence. we're really smart and because of our intelligence, we developed advance weapons. so if we were fighting with e.g. velociraptors, we should use intelligence, so we should use weapons we developed by intelligence. weapons can only be used by people, not by any other animal, so we can attract weapons as our natural attack-dealing attribute. and please, educate yourself in case of the straw man definition.

Vauxhall

« Reply #671 on: March 27, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »

you're wrong. what makes us that we're perfect predators isn't our anatomy, it's our intelligence. lions, tigers, even velociraptors - they had the same thing. not so biggest intelligence. we're really smart and because of our intelligence, we developed advance weapons. so if we were fighting with e.g. velociraptors, we should use intelligence, so we should use weapons we developed by intelligence. weapons can only be used by people, not by any other animal, so we can attract weapons as our natural attack-dealing attribute. and please, educate yourself in case of the straw man definition.

You're wrong. You're arguing for a different point. Like I said, this argument is about as valid as "if people made weapons that could kill gods, would they be able to kill gods?" It's a redundant stupid question. Proto-humans is what I was arguing for. If you want to warp my contention, so be it.

Also, by your logic, "guns" are the perfect predators. Not humans.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:01:22 PM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #672 on: March 27, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »

You're wrong. You're arguing for a different point. Like I said, this argument is about as valid as "if people made weapons that could kill gods, would they be able to kill gods?" It's a redundant stupid question. Proto-humans is what I was arguing for. If you want to warp my contention, so be it.

Also, by your logical, "guns" are the perfect predators. Not humans.

quote yourself where you posted that you were arguing about that proto-humans aren't perfect predators, not just humans.
guns are manned by intelligent people. guns alone can't fire and kill. animals also can't kill with guns, it's only an attribute attracted to people.

Vauxhall

« Reply #673 on: March 27, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »

quote yourself where you posted that you were arguing about that proto-humans aren't perfect predators, not just humans.
guns are manned by intelligent people. guns alone can't fire and kill. animals also can't kill with guns, it's only an attribute attracted to people.

A computerized gun that aims and fires itself is the perfect predator.

If you don't realize what I was initially defending then you only have your own incompetence to blame. No where did I mention the word "guns". I even explained that humans would not have had the chance to develop weapons technology due to constantly defending themselves from dinosaurs. I thought my contention was self-explanatory, but apparently I need to start dumbing down even the simplest of arguments now... great...  ::)
Read the FAQS.

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #674 on: March 27, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »

A computerized gun that aims and fires itself is the perfect predator.

If you don't realize what I was initially defending then you only have your own incompetence to blame. No where did I mention the word "guns". I even explained that humans would not have had the chance to develop weapons technology due to constantly defending themselves from dinosaurs. I thought my contention was self-explanatory, but apparently I need to start dumbing down even the simplest of arguments now... great...  ::)

You don't understand. Even computerized guns are developed by people. It uses AI, an artificial intelligence which is used to imitate people's intelligence. Still it proves that people are the most perfect predators on the world, because no predator can even compete to people.

« Reply #675 on: March 27, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »

A monkey could fire a gun. Probably not with much skill though.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Vauxhall

« Reply #676 on: March 27, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »
You don't understand. Even computerized guns are developed by people. It uses AI, an artificial intelligence which is used to imitate people's intelligence. Still it proves that people are the most perfect predators on the world, because no predator can even compete to people.

AI doesn't give a shit who made it. By your logic, unicellular organisms are the perfect predator because they made us.
Read the FAQS.

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #677 on: March 27, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »

AI doesn't give a shit who made it. By your logic, unicellular organisms are the perfect predator because they made us.

They didn't made us, we evolved from them.

Vauxhall

« Reply #678 on: March 27, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »

And? AI would naturally evolve from us.
Read the FAQS.

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #679 on: March 27, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »

A monkey could fire a gun. Probably not with much skill though.

"animals also can't kill with guns" - Have you read that?

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #680 on: March 27, 2015, 04:08:19 PM »

And? AI would naturally evolve from us.

You're serious?

Vauxhall

« Reply #681 on: March 27, 2015, 04:12:53 PM »
Frankly FlatBrainer (and I'm going to try to be nice here), I don't like you. I immediately disliked you the moment you made that long derogatory post in response to JRowe. Your understanding of basic (and I mean, REALLY basic) concepts is very lacking, and you are slow to pick up on new ideas - even ones that aren't nonsense. Your username is supposed to be ironic, and it is (don't get me wrong), but it's not ironic for the reasons you think. It's ironic because it describes you. You are basically a child. You are quick to anger and you don't belong here. I think most everyone will agree after they've witnessed your complete breakdown in response to Jrowe, and I don't think you'll be missed.

If you want to grow up a bit and have a civilized debate (snide jabs and comments completely acceptable and encouraged to an extent), then please do so. But if you're going to continue being a spoiled child who pitches fits every time you don't get your way then please leave and don't come back.

You're serious?

Yes, I'm absolutely serious. I hope this concept doens't fly over your head like almost all the others appeared to.

Here's some basic definitions for you, kiddo.

e·volve
ēˈvälv/

verb
develop gradually, especially from a simple to a more complex form.
"the company has evolved into a major chemical manufacturer"
synonyms:   develop, progress, advance; More
Read the FAQS.

Mikey T.

« Reply #682 on: March 27, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »
Well Vaux, its official, I just instituted my first ignored person.  Funny, it wasn't a FE.  Just an asshole.
Flatbrainer is just annoying

?

FlatBrainer

• I'm the Truth
« Reply #683 on: March 27, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »
Frankly FlatBrainer (and I'm going to try to be nice here), I don't like you. I immediately disliked you the moment you made that long derogatory post in response to JRowe. Your understanding of basic (and I mean, REALLY basic) concepts is very lacking, and you are slow to pick up on new ideas - even ones that aren't nonsense. Your username is supposed to be ironic, and it is (don't get me wrong), but it's not ironic for the reasons you think. It's ironic because it describes you. You are basically a child. You are quick to anger and you don't belong here. I think most everyone will agree after they've witnessed your complete breakdown in response to Jrowe, and I don't think you'll be missed.

If you want to grow up a bit and have a civilized debate (snide jabs and comments completely acceptable and encouraged to an extent), then please do so. But if you're going to continue being a spoiled child who pitches fits every time you don't get your way then please leave and don't come back.

You're serious?

Yes, I'm absolutely serious. I hope this concept doens't fly over your head like almost all the others appeared to.

e·volve
ēˈvälv/

verb

Yeah, Mikey is right, FlatBrainer is annoying, just look at his posts: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=63149.200#.VRXnJ_yG_zM

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #684 on: March 27, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »

You're serious?

e·volve
ēˈvälv/

verb

Yeah, Mikey is right, FlatBrainer is annoying, just look at his posts: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=63149.200#.VRXnJ_yG_zM

I.. wha? Are you now claiming to be hacked? This is amazing.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Vauxhall

« Reply #685 on: March 27, 2015, 05:11:04 PM »
Maybe FlatBrainer is a Jrowe alt?

Have we all been had?
Read the FAQS.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #686 on: March 27, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
Some days of our lives shit right here.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

ausGeoff

« Reply #687 on: March 27, 2015, 05:17:21 PM »

And again... nope.  I never even implied that.  Sorry.

Vauxhall

« Reply #688 on: March 27, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »
Some days of our lives shit right here.

Read the FAQS.

Mikey T.

« Reply #689 on: March 27, 2015, 06:44:07 PM »
So new train track to get this discussion on...
There's gold in that there poop

http://www.livescience.com/50235-solid-gold-poop-could-yield-precious-metals.html

So it's a little disgusting but hey, lets all poop in a bag and send it in to raise money for a future expeditions to discover the true shape of the Earth.  Ok I'm just kidding, DO NOT send jroa your poop.