What motivates R.E.T. trolls to come to this site to convince us we are wrong?

• 20 Replies

I've noticed that as quick as anyone does a post in the forums , very quickly the RET trolls  ;D derail the thread.
Why is that?

It's not like I go to other groups of individual who have different ideas, or opinions than mine, and then troll their group to tell them they are wrong  :-\

Historically its the same thing. RET trolls will make outrages claims themselves, often present math that is flawed and downright ridicules over and over again. The actually appears to be a systematic procedure to their modus of operandi. Once you study it, and look historically at their posts, it is quite clear.

What are they afraid of?  :-\
Why must they save our wayward opinions?  :-\

Is it possible that the mandate of this site is to  actually attract folks who might be inquisitive about Flat Earth Theory, and then have the trolls pounce on them as the welcome committee just to convince them the theory is absurd?

???

It would be a really wonderful idea if the folks who favor a FET could work more together to develop experiments to further the understanding.

Plus, the designation "Flat Earth Believer" is a bit silly.
Beliefs having nothing to do with truth.
A child may believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny, but the does not make it True.

Perhaps they need to consider some identifier as " Flat Earth Theorist"  :-\

sokarul

• Extra Racist
What's it like to live in fear of everything?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

kman

• Pastafarian
I admit that I am an evil shill working for the government.
I get good healthcare and a pension though.
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
The part that caught my attention was the part when you said we use flawed math.  What do you mean by that?  Give one example of when you think we used flawed math.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

I have posted several reasons for believing the Earth is round and they have never once been successfully challenged by a flat Earth believer. It's the flat Earthers who derail threads. I half suspect this post is meant to be ironic.

I am here for information, although I hope I do not fall into the realm of trolls in your opinion.

I am more interested in way in which you all have individually come to your conclusion, whether FET or RET. Something I have noticed is some people here are genuinely intelligent, not in their ability to regurgitate information, but their ability to perceive the world. When those perceptions are either flawed or incomplete they find more a way to look at the subject more broadly to ascertain the truth.

On the other hand, we have people who are neither logical nor methodical in their searches . They will either quote things that are hypothetical, intangible, or conjecture as fact. These people will also deny anything put in front of them with far stretches of the imagination that is fabricated around speculation, at best. Instead of taking a point, looking at the pertinent information, and trying to find the flaws that may very well be within that thought process,  they will take a heavy handed "No." out and dismiss it without even considering the validity or even possibility of the point brought forward. I do not know if that is due to 10 years of circular arguments that I do not care to sift through, or if the idea of challenging a theory makes some people aggressive.

I suppose by the end of this, I've only reinforced your points. I do find the FET theory absurd. But that is precisely why I am attracted to it.

I've noticed that as quick as anyone does a post in the forums , very quickly the RET trolls  ;D derail the thread.
Why is that?

It's not like I go to other groups of individual who have different ideas, or opinions than mine, and then troll their group to tell them they are wrong  :-\

Historically its the same thing. RET trolls will make outrages claims themselves, often present math that is flawed and downright ridicules over and over again. The actually appears to be a systematic procedure to their modus of operandi. Once you study it, and look historically at their posts, it is quite clear.

Is it possible that the mandate of this site is to  actually attract folks who might be inquisitive about Flat Earth Theory, and then have the trolls pounce on them as the welcome committee just to convince them the theory is absurd?

???

It would be a really wonderful idea if the folks who favor a FET could work more together to develop experiments to further the understanding.

A child may believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny, but the does not make it True.

Clearly this is their full-time job: to constantly patrol the forum, keep us busy and discredit us. Probably they're from the military. I do not blame them. They execute orders, and we have to admit they are nice people. They deride us politely and respectfully. Probably I've been 10 times more disrespectful to them. By the way, I apologize.

This is a waste of time, staying here and arguing with them. They are going to drain you. Leave before you get addicted to their attention. This is a really sick pastime. Not for them, since it's their job. For us to still spend time here after we have realized what it's all about. This forum could equally be called "The Flat Earth Idiots".

Instead you should spread the word on youtube and facebook. Don't stay here, it's like an Indian reservation.

Facebook is an incredible propaganda tool right now. Catapult the propaganda on Facebook, like Bush would say:

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Catapult The Propaganda

By the way, Facebook has the same objective of keeping people busy, so actually after doing your share of propaganda, the best thing to do would be to go back to studying matters and learning more. Don't let the system distract you. Think about it: sports, TV, social networks, and this forum all have the same agenda of keeping you busy, and discouraging free thinkers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:32:02 AM by acenci »

Why is that?

How about taking a more neutral tone yourself as a start? Not all who question posts supporting the idea of a flat earth are trolls; if the post is based on assumptions easily shown to be erroneous and they know from experience of everyday things that they are difficult or impossible to explain if the Earth were flat but easily explained by the Earth being a large sphere, then speaking up is not the wrong thing to do. So why should they remain silent when something they see that is obviously wrong is posted, and they can back up their position with factual data?

If you can explain an idea when challenged, then, by all means, do. If you can't, then please at least consider that your idea might be wrong.

Are you suggesting that all ideas about the shape of the Earth are equally valid? They're not. The trick is to coherently defend whatever shape you think is right if challenged.

"Trolls" again. Think about it... it seems like you're complaining that anyone who disagrees with you is a troll. Might it be possible that the initial assertion is flawed and the objections have merit? Have you even considered that?

If a claim is outrageous, then dispute it, and coherently explain why you disagree. If the math is flawed, then point out - specifically - where it's flawed. That's the beauty of math - things can actually be proven there. Sometimes ideas are presented that are patently ridiculous, and they're ridiculed. Be prepared to defend what you say. Too often, someone will come here and say "I have absolute irrefutable proof the Earth is <flat, concave, whatever> because <long-debunked fanciful idea>!" Expect such to be met with scorn. Starting in a less confrontational manner would probably reduce the chance of being ridiculed.

Nothing here. Why are you unwilling to defend your assertions?

Most want to point out (sometimes obvious) flaws and rookie errors so anyone who finds this site sees, if nothing else, a counterargument to an assertion that makes little sense in the real world.

???

"Trolls" again. If the theory is right, then it should be able to weather criticism; real scientists go through this all the time and expect it. Maybe their "theory" really is absurd, and they're doing a favor. If someone can defend the theory, then do so.

I honestly don't think that's the idea, and there's always the "True Believers" forum. Join that if they'll let you. I read partway through it before joining and found it was a lot of threads about naval-gazing and idle speculation, and posts congratulating each other about their "insights". Pretty boring IMO, but YMMV.

So develop your experiments, already. Outside criticism will help direct you to the areas that need to be conclusively tested.

"Theory" in the technical sense has a specific meaning. "The Earth is a flat disk" doesn't satisfy that because it lacks verifiable predictions that haven't already been found not to hold true. I refrain from using the term "Flat Earth believer" here because I don't think all who argue in favor of a flat earth here really believe it is. I prefer "Flat Earth proponent".
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
Colonel, they've found us out.
Whats the contingency plan?
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence

This is the upper fora and your post is low content.  Keep that in the lower fora.  Consider this a warning. 

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent

This is the upper fora and your post is low content.  Keep that in the lower fora.  Consider this a warning.

How many warnings before banning?
Seriously, though. Acenci said that all RE'rs were in the military, i was just taking the piss.

It is best for any would be FETer to understand quickly that subscribing to such a ridiculous theory will bring down a rain of ridicule and laughter from the world at large.  If they can stomach being the fool, then they can continue, if not they are spared a lot of pain and anguish.  It is my service to humanity, you're welcome.

kman

• Pastafarian
I would suggest that the mods move this to angry ranting, as the original assertion isn't intended to generate meaningful understanding, doesn't contribute to flat earth theory, and is pretty obnoxious.
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
I actually quite like the idea of a clandestine task force of dedicated cyber soldiers attacking online those who oppose their views.
Pity its bullshit

kman

• Pastafarian
I actually quite like the idea of a clandestine task force of dedicated cyber soldiers attacking online those who oppose their views.
Pity its bullshit

How how you proven Harry Potter false? There could be a world of wizards out there.
Point is, there is no evidence at all to suggest that it is true.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
Pity its bullshit

How how you proven Harry Potter false? There could be a world of wizards out there.
Point is, there is no evidence at all to suggest that it is true.

Thats is what i meant.
Again, i was taking the piss (pardon the expression)

kman

• Pastafarian
...OH

Somehow I quoted the wrong comment on the wrong thread.

I am very sorry!
How the hell did I manage to do that?

That was suppose to go here http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62904.msg1663680#new
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:25:28 PM by kman »

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
...OH

Somehow I quoted the wrong comment on the wrong thread.

I am very sorry!
How the hell did I manage to do that?

That was suppose to go here http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62904.msg1663680#new
I'll turkey slap you if you do that again

kman

• Pastafarian

That's what my avatar did to Vauxhall

ausGeoff

I've noticed that as quick as anyone does a post in the forums , very quickly the RET trolls derail the thread.
Why is that?
You obviously have no understanding of the term "troll".  Please check the Urbandictionary.com

It's not like I go to other groups of individual who have different ideas, or opinions than mine...
Then that proves nothing other than you lack the courage of your own convictions, and therefore must be a cybercoward.  Waaaah.....

Perhaps they need to consider some identifier as " Flat Earth Theorist".
And perhaps you shouldn't be posting your smug bullshit on this forum?

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent

That's what my avatar did to Vauxhall

I always thought your avatar was the Zaratan's father the next night.
"Stay away from my daughter, asshole"