Sunset and the moon

• 68 Replies
?

General Patton

• Undefeated round earther
Sunset and the moon
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:19:05 PM »
What is the FE argument on night and day? How can it be night in one place, and day in another place if the Earth is flat?

It is so fun educating FE'rs who don't know anything.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: Sunset and the moon
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »
What is the FE argument on night and day? How can it be night in one place, and day in another place if the Earth is flat?
They say the sun is more like a spotlight.  Obviously on an FE, the sun would get smaller and fade out as it got further away.  They just pretend everything works.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

General Patton

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:27:34 PM »
They say the sun is more like a spotlight.  Obviously on an FE, the sun would get smaller and fade out as it got further away.  They just pretend everything works.
I guess they think the illuminati put the spotlight there

?

General Patton

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:50:54 PM »
Lol, I guess no flat earther has come yet because they have no argument for this.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »

Light does not travel infinitely through the atmosphere. 

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:23:11 PM »

Light does not travel infinitely through the atmosphere.

Are stars closer or further away than the sun in FET?
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
Stars are likely farther away from the Earth than the sun.  But, you can't see all the stars at all times of night because even their light is impeded by the atmosphere. 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
Stars are likely farther away from the Earth than the sun.  But, you can't see all the stars at all times of night because even their light is impeded by the atmosphere.

Oh, then is there an explanation for why I cannot see the sun in this image? If the stars are further away than the sun, and the only reason I cant see the sun at night is because its light can't make it through all that air, then obviously here there is something going on that makes it so I can see stars all the way to the horizon, hence I would be able to see the sun.

I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 08:39:37 PM »

Oh, then is there an explanation for why I cannot see the sun in this image? If the stars are further away than the sun, and the only reason I cant see the sun at night is because its light can't make it through all that air, then obviously here there is something going on that makes it so I can see stars all the way to the horizon, hence I would be able to see the sun.

You can't see the stars that are next to the sun in that picture either, can't you? 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »
I can't see the sun at all despite the fact that I can see stars all the way to the horizon, meaning the most atmosphere or atmoplane possible to place between them. If you would like I can post a few hundred more showing the same thing, all lacking the sun.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 08:55:20 PM »
I can't see the sun at all despite the fact that I can see stars all the way to the horizon, meaning the most atmosphere or atmoplane possible to place between them. If you would like I can post a few hundred more showing the same thing, all lacking the sun.

You can see all of the stars?  Please, point out the southern cross for me. 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »

Semantics? Thats the last resort of a person losing a debate, you know that right?

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »

Anyways, I don't have to, being unable to see those stars like the southern cross actually is part of RET, it would be your job to explain why I cannot see the southern cross, since on a flat earth I would be able to, so please do explain.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 09:08:40 PM »

Anyways, I don't have to, being unable to see those stars like the southern cross actually is part of RET, it would be your job to explain why I cannot see the southern cross, since on a flat earth I would be able to, so please do explain.

Why are the distant mountains in this picture disappearing?  I'll give you a hint; it is not because the Earth is round. 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 09:11:06 PM »

Why are the distant mountains in this picture disappearing?  I'll give you a hint; it is not because the Earth is round. 

Distance to the stars at horizon > those mountains. Nice attempt at strawman, but lets get back to what I asked.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »
Because light can not travel infinitely through the air and the southern cross is too far away to see.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 09:23:07 PM »
Because light can not travel infinitely through the air and the southern cross is too far away to see.

So how fast does light go from visible to not visible because of the air? Because you are now bordering on saying the earth is massive.

But also here is the trap, because to make it work like you are saying then suddenly things would have to be far dimmer during the day than they are.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 09:27:42 PM »
So how fast does light go from visible to not visible because of the air?

That would depend on the conditions of the air, would it not? 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »

So you are saying conditions in the air can vary so wildly as to make you unable to give an answer to how quickly a star would go from visible and not visible?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »

So you are saying conditions in the air can vary so wildly as to make you unable to give an answer to how quickly a star would go from visible and not visible?

Yes.  Some days, there is a lot of pollen or dust in the air.  Some days, there are profound temperature differences.  Some days, there is very little moisture in the air.  Is all of this new to you? 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »

Why are the mountains not fading to black?  You keep saying that light can't travel infinitely far through air, so why are the mountains not lost in inky blackness?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 09:37:23 PM »
Fading does not mean something is turning black, markjo. 

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 11:07:29 PM »
That which receives no light is black. Black is after all, the absence of light.... hitting our eyes, that is.

EDIT: reworded statement and fixed minor typo
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:11:24 PM by Agnotology »

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 11:28:21 PM »
That which receives no light is black. Black is after all, the absence of light.... hitting our eyes, that is.

EDIT: reworded statement and fixed minor typo

The mountain is not receiving no light.  That is right, I used to double negative on purpose.  The light reflecting off of the mountain is being refracted, deflected, and diffused due to the mass and density of the air in between the mountain and the camera. 

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 07:42:48 AM »

Yes.  Some days, there is a lot of pollen or dust in the air.  Some days, there are profound temperature differences.  Some days, there is very little moisture in the air.  Is all of this new to you?
If I put a camera on a weather balloon and launch it at night, could I see the southern cross from North America?  What happened to you in the fog?  It seems something tramatic is preventing you from seeing.  It is as if you are constantly reassuring yourself that no one saw what happened that damp foggy morning on your way to school.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 08:24:15 AM »

If I put a camera on a weather balloon and launch it at night, could I see the southern cross from North America?  What happened to you in the fog?  It seems something tramatic is preventing you from seeing.  It is as if you are constantly reassuring yourself that no one saw what happened that damp foggy morning on your way to school.

If you could get a camera high enough, I suppose that you could see the southern cross from North America, whether the Earth is round or flat. 

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 08:27:26 AM »

If you could get a camera high enough, I suppose that you could see the southern cross from North America, whether the Earth is round or flat.
I'm asking about ~90-100k feet, which can be accomplished easily with a weather balloon.  All the flights with video cameras on balloons I've seen have been during the day, would be interesting to see one at night. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »

I'm asking about ~90-100k feet, which can be accomplished easily with a weather balloon.  All the flights with video cameras on balloons I've seen have been during the day, would be interesting to see one at night. 

I doubt you would be able to see the southern cross from 100k ft. from NA, whether the Earth is round or flat. 

?

General Patton

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 08:52:29 AM »
Sorry guys, most of the replies were made when I was asleep.

So jroa, what do you think about what I said towards the end of my post? How can it be day in one place, but night in another?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »
Sorry guys, most of the replies were made when I was asleep.

So jroa, what do you think about what I said towards the end of my post? How can it be day in one place, but night in another?

Light can not travel infinitely through air.