If Earth is rotating

• 155 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: If Earth is rotating
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2015, 10:24:47 AM »
You are the latter, Scepti:

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance.

You're so full of projection it is all rather sad to watch (though still very entertaining). You project your own failings at understanding science and the world around you onto others and make them out to be the idiots.

Your own shortcomings are obviously far too painful to admit to, thus your ridiculous assertions about being a genius who understands everything once you 'thought about it'.

Anyway, hopefully you'll admit your numerous erroneous assertions in this thread and bow out graciously (something I've only seen you do once before, despite it being a necessity with nearly every single post you make).
You're entitled to waffle on as you wish. What you say does not change my thoughts in any way. As long as you always remember this, then everything is fine.

I don't know everything. I don't profess to know everything. My arguments are nopt about me knowing I'm correct on all I say about my theories. My arguments are about knowing for sure that the theories that you abide by are erronous at best and downright blatant lies at worst.

Anything from this point on is about figuring out the truth from the errors and the blatant lies. Not an easy thing to do but that's the game.

Why as an ultimate genius now say this? Weren't you 100% sure everything is a lie? Now you are doubting your own arguments? Why the sudden shift of proving us wrong but never proving your own stuff right? Shouldn't you as a super-minded genius find simple ways to prove their theories right? In one thread you profess to know for certain what you say, then here you profess to not knowing everything.
Nobody knows everything, stop being silly. Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.
I've proved you people wrong as have many others. It matters not that you kick and scream and say we haven't.

Also, I never ever said everything is a lie. I said I believe nothing and question everything and there are a lot of lies out there.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »
You are the latter, Scepti:

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance.

You're so full of projection it is all rather sad to watch (though still very entertaining). You project your own failings at understanding science and the world around you onto others and make them out to be the idiots.

Your own shortcomings are obviously far too painful to admit to, thus your ridiculous assertions about being a genius who understands everything once you 'thought about it'.

Anyway, hopefully you'll admit your numerous erroneous assertions in this thread and bow out graciously (something I've only seen you do once before, despite it being a necessity with nearly every single post you make).
You're entitled to waffle on as you wish. What you say does not change my thoughts in any way. As long as you always remember this, then everything is fine.

I don't know everything. I don't profess to know everything. My arguments are nopt about me knowing I'm correct on all I say about my theories. My arguments are about knowing for sure that the theories that you abide by are erronous at best and downright blatant lies at worst.

Anything from this point on is about figuring out the truth from the errors and the blatant lies. Not an easy thing to do but that's the game.

Why as an ultimate genius now say this? Weren't you 100% sure everything is a lie? Now you are doubting your own arguments? Why the sudden shift of proving us wrong but never proving your own stuff right? Shouldn't you as a super-minded genius find simple ways to prove their theories right? In one thread you profess to know for certain what you say, then here you profess to not knowing everything.
Nobody knows everything, stop being silly. Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.
I've proved you people wrong as have many others. It matters not that you kick and scream and say we haven't.

Also, I never ever said everything is a lie. I said I believe nothing and question everything and there are a lot of lies out there.

Please, I'd love to see one post where you proved one aspect of REF wrong.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.
This is now my signature.
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
I don't know everything. I don't profess to know everything. My arguments are not about me knowing I'm correct on all I say about my theories. My arguments are about knowing for sure that the theories that you abide by are erronous at best and downright blatant lies at worst.

Oh, thank goodness! Does that mean we can dismiss denpressure and your ice dome theory as the fantasy-derived excrement that it really is? Phew, really glad to hear it, because I don't think anyone could really take another +50 page thread where all your assertions and pseudoscientific drivel are proven wrong again but you being either too stupid to see it or too proud to admit it.

Now that all your absurd 'theories' are done given now that you profess to not knowing they're correct, can you please now just to stick to attempting to debunk real scientific theories? By extension, that should cut out of all your lectures about 'thinking for yourself' and 'use your own logic/common sense' which should mean your posts from now on will be significantly shorter (or perhaps even absent altogether).

I think a round of applause for scepti is in order! Wooohooooo  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ausGeoff

« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »
I don't know everything. I don't profess to know everything. My arguments are not about me knowing I'm correct on all I say about my theories. My arguments are about knowing for sure that the theories that you abide by are erroneous at best and downright blatant lies at worst.

So sceptimatic now admits he "doesn't know everything"?  Conversely, that of course means there's things he doesn't know—like quite possibly that the earth is an oblate spheroid?  He also may not know about the scientific principles of gravity, velocity, mass, weight, pressure, and force.  Or even a lot of other things related to geophysics and astrophysics?

But... at the same time he's claimed to be a "scientific researcher" and a "genius".  How then can it be possibly be that—by his own admission—he's unaware of many things?  Wouldn't a true genius have all the options covered?  And remember that the term genius is used to define a person with an IQ of at least 160, and upwards to 200 using the most common WAIS-IV (2008) measurement.  And sceptimatic has never confirmed by which scale his IQ has been verified (maybe he's just guessing, or... lying).

So, having said all that, and effectively demolishing half of sceptimatic's absurd claims, he now also admits that his arguments are based entirely on "knowing for sure" that the spherical earth model is bogus, and that round earthers are blatant liars!

No evidence of his own that the earth is purportedly not rotating—just a "knowledge" that all our theories that it is are wrong!

—Wow! sceptimatic.  Great argument.  Well done.    ;D

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2015, 11:17:17 AM »
Don't let 'Foucault pendulum' fool you!   A solar eclipse seems to effect the pendulum, and that has nothing to do with a rotation of the earth.   Rounder bellies love to claim fp is absolute proof!  really?

ausGeoff

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2015, 11:24:06 AM »
A solar eclipse seems to effect the pendulum, and that has nothing to do with a rotation of the earth.

No it doesn't.  Citation needed.  Personal opinions are not deemed empirical evidence.

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2015, 12:32:24 PM »
Hello,

I became a flat earth believer 2 days ago and I've been so many research the past couple of days. I've been thinking about all day these past 2 days.

I don't know if anyone has discussed this thought before or not but I was thinking today that according to Nasa the earth is rotating at a speed of 1670 kilometers/hour ( 1037 miles/hr). I'm in New York so that means if I go up in an air ballon or helicopter for 1 hour and make sure the ballon or helicopter is not going to the left or right and is still in the air for 1 hour, I should be in St Louis in Missouri.

This test can be done and it's not going to cost a lots of money. I'm sure we can rent a private helicopter for $1000 or less and film it and proof it to everyone that earth is not rotating.

What are your thoughts?
Of course, you are correct on this. I mean, you display the logical common sense that other human beings should display, yet somehow can't bring themselves to do, because it destroys their fantasy of what is told about the Earth and all it's happenings.

The reality is, no helicopter or even high flying balloon is needed to realise that the atmosphere does not spin with the Earth.
However, as you clearly see, there are always answers to this simple thing. The answers are ludicrous, as we know - but the thing is, the reliance on magic has to come to the fore-front with mainstream science, otherwise their model is killed, stone dead.

However: because we are outnumbered by scientists and the wider public - we have to find a more concrete solution to make people wake up.
It's difficult, because if they can't grasp this concept, they won't grasp any, it appears.

I can honestly say with a fairly sure mind, that if the science world told the population that real life stuffed teddy bears have been found living on mars and showed a video of them - most people would believe it, as long as there was an explanation as to how it appeared. All it needs is a bit of gobbledegook so called scientific explanations of their make up and - BINGO - they become real. Martian Teddyites.

You see, if a helicopter hovers, we are told that it's simply carried along with the rotation of the Earth because it was already going that speed.

The problem of it can be solved by simply having a plane flying 1000mph opposite the rotation and so negating that 1000 mph atmosphere. So now the Earth would be spinning 1000 mph one way and not dragging the plane with it because the plane has negated that.
Now if the plane kept the 1000 mph up, then realistically, it would be hovering above the Earth, yet showing a speed of 1000mph on it's clock.

Of course, we know this doesn't happen and for good reason. It's because the Earth is stationary and flatish. It is not a rotating globe sat in a vacuum of space.

That is a pretty unfair accusation considering all the zaratans, whale men, firmaments, ice walls, aether, denpressure, bendy light, roving suns and shadow objects brought forward by FE-ers.

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »
Hello,

I became a flat earth believer 2 days ago and I've been so many research the past couple of days. I've been thinking about all day these past 2 days.

I don't know if anyone has discussed this thought before or not but I was thinking today that according to Nasa the earth is rotating at a speed of 1670 kilometers/hour ( 1037 miles/hr). I'm in New York so that means if I go up in an air ballon or helicopter for 1 hour and make sure the ballon or helicopter is not going to the left or right and is still in the air for 1 hour, I should be in St Louis in Missouri.

This test can be done and it's not going to cost a lots of money. I'm sure we can rent a private helicopter for $1000 or less and film it and proof it to everyone that earth is not rotating.

What are your thoughts?

Oh my, you are so dumb. Just like this famous muslim. The air is rotating with the surface. If air weren't rotating, we would have massive storms because of a friction between static (lol) and moving surface. Just think.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2015, 12:09:05 PM »

Really?  How much do you know about RET and math?  You have to know about the model you are rejecting and math is something that any genius should know.

Quote yourself proving anything to anyone, I bet you can't.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

ausGeoff

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »
Really?  How much do you know about RET and math?  You have to know about the model you are rejecting and math is something that any genius should know.

sceptimatic must know something in order to have obtained thirteen academic qualifications, authored a dozen books, and patented numerous devices we all use in our homes every day surely?  He also has pilot's licenses for both his private jet and his helicopter, so he can't be nearly as stupid as his comments would indicate.  My guess is that he just plays dumb on these forums to get cheap laughs.

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »
 "I said I believe nothing and question everything and there are a lot of lies out there." Skeptics

I am liking this guy. I certainly consider him intelligent. I am a inventor (designer) myself, so am very interested about the claim he has patented numerous devices. Sarcasm, or is that true?  It does help to have an open mind, to think of new ideas. Really, most of us can't think beyond how we have been trained to view the world.

ausGeoff

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
... so am very interested about the claim he has patented numerous devices.

This is a claim he made a couple of times last year.  Although we all considered it to be the product of an over-fertile imagination rather than fertile scientific logic and ingenuity.

You can ask sceptimatic what those devices are specifically, but I can guarantee he won't tell you.  He also won't name any of the books he's allegedly written either.  It's most people's considered opinion here that the guy is full of bovine excrement.

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2015, 05:34:33 PM »
Why you hold to the strange opinion that a solar eclipse does not effect a faulcolt pendulum?  Could you explain?
Thanks

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »
Why you hold to the strange opinion that a solar eclipse does not effect a faulcolt pendulum?  Could you explain?
Thanks

Evidence makes it quite clear that solar eclipses effect Foucault pendulums, it's just that nobody knows why.  Most flat earthers will probably just say that the aether does it, but at least round earthers admit when we don't know things.

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »
... but you must know that something other than the rotation of the earth, can effect the pendulum.  This is a considerable admission.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »
... but you must know that something other than the rotation of the earth, can effect the pendulum.  This is a considerable admission.

Yes, but pendulums usually behave in a way that can be predicted assuming a round Earth.  Also there are things like gyroscopes and the Coriolis effect that prove that the Earth rotates.

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
...  or it could be the weight of the stars that move a Foucault pendulum, and also creates the Coriolis force. Yes, ether is a lovely scientific theory.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »
...  or it could be the weight of the stars that move a Foucault pendulum, and also creates the Coriolis force. Yes, ether is a lovely scientific theory.

Yeah, it could be, but that doesn't mean that it does.  Flat earthers can just explain away anything by saying "the aether does it", that's hardly science.

I suggest you check out the video in this thread.

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »
Why apply a double standard? Cosmology is philosophy, not science. Hardly anything has been absolutely proven.
The great 19th century scientist Alexander von Humboldt confessed:
“I have known too, for a long time that we have no argument for the Copernican system, but I shall never dare to be the first to attack it. Donʼt rush into the waspsʼ nest. You will bring upon yourself the scorn of the thoughtless multitude… to come forth as the first against opinions, which the world has become fond of - I donʼt feel the courage.

How many people assume Copernicus gave indisputable evidence for his cosmology?

The International Encyclopedia of Astronomy comments: “At no time did Copernicus have any “proof” of his new cosmology. No available observation could have distinguished between the ancient geocentric scheme and the new heliocentric pattern.”

Many great scientists have believed in the existence of the ether. It is not a strange concept. Don't make it sound like it is.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:04:49 PM by earth is a stage »

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »
Why apply a double standard? Cosmology is philosophy, not science. Hardly anything has been absolutely proven.
“I have known too, for a long time that we have no argument for the Copernican system, but I shall never dare to be the first to attack it. Donʼt rush into the waspsʼ nest. You will bring upon yourself the scorn of the thoughtless multitude… to come forth as the first against opinions, which the world has become fond of - I donʼt feel the courage.

The International Encyclopedia of Astronomy comments: “At no time did Copernicus have any “proof” of his new cosmology. No available observation could have distinguished between the ancient geocentric scheme and the new heliocentric pattern.”

Many great scientists have believed in the existence of the ether. It is not a strange concept. Don't make it sound like it is.

Did you watch the video I linked you to yet?
Of course not, because you are still a flat earther.

Mikey T.

« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »

the aether being used here does not equal the ether or aether that was used by some scientists in the past.  It was used like Dark matter/energy is used today.  As something unknown to fill a gap in the current theory.  They then went about trying to figure out why the observations didn't 100% match with their mathematical formulas.  Understand that once scientists believed that electromagnetic waves (which act more like particles at higher frequencies than waves) where the same thing as sound waves.  Sound waves need matter to propagate through, like air.  Electromagnetic "waves" do not.  This was a misconception that required something to fill the apparent void of space, someone somewhere proposed ether.  Then people in the paranormal field started using it for anything and everything from proof of how ghosts should be able to materialize to a substance/energy used to communicate with the dead.  Once they figured out how electromagnetic "waves" actually behaved they didn't need the ether anymore as part of their equations.  Now however aether is being used much the same way as ether was used in the paranormal field did once before.  It was a buzzword type thing, "oh science uses this unknown thing, therefore it sounds more realistic for us to use it for our ideas".  Aether is used as some unknown thing/energy/force to fill in for whatever is needed to fill any holes in this FE idea.  It has so many properties, it can bend time, space, and light.  It acts like a force, a barrier, and as matter in solid, liquid (maybe) and gases forms.  It has to be intelligent to bend light in just the right way as to make anyone looking up to think the Earth is round.  It also scatters light enough and in just the right way to give the illusion of things disappearing bottom up from the horizon.  For one it acts as the air, the building blocks of all matter, a matter transportation device, and as a form of gravity.  It is a quick plug in "stuff" that is used to describe anything that science has theorized, tested, and produced mountains of evidence.  It is used to discredit anything that is contrary to the FE idea.
Now am I poking fun at these people for thinking this way, a little bit honestly.  They are entitled to their own opinions.  I have fostered a possible friendship with a couple of these FEers and enjoy finding out more about their ideas.  Actually caring about their thoughts on the matter helps me to debate them in a better manner.  I try not to automatically think they are ignorant, or dismiss their explanations without trying to see it from their viewpoint.  But there are others that claim to be FEers that are rude, dishonest, and dismissive. 
Now as for the OP, I think its been answered before but Ill try to explain how that will not work.  Samuel Shenton (the founder of the modern FE society) once believed in a round Earth, he claimed to have invented a way to travel around the world much easier by using a large hot air balloon to go up high enough to let the Earth rotate below him and then just lower the balloon back down.  This was in the 1920's or so.  He went with his theory and tried to get support to build his Balloon.  He was laughed at by the scientific community and decided that the only reason his design wouldn't work was if the Earth was flat and they were hiding it from everyone.  The irony is that his original concept would work if you could leave the atmosphere and remain stationary without the gravity of Earth pulling you back down.  The atmosphere is relatively rotating with the ground so for that concept to work you would have to get outside the atmosphere.  Since a balloon floats in air as long as the density of the air high enough, much like an air bubble floats to the top of the water, you cannot leave the atmosphere on a balloon.  Airplanes, birds, ect. actually fly through the air using pretty much the same characteristics as submarines, fish, etc. swim through the water.  So anything floating on/in the air is going to travel with the air.

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2015, 07:10:36 AM »

Yes, few scientists believed in aether, but different of your perspective. They believed it's a substance that's filling the world up, not a all-powerful thing that causes planes to fly and jumping from 1 hemisphere to second.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2015, 10:38:10 AM »
Thank you for all your replies, especially the well written article by lovzballs. I respect the time you took to explain your perspective.  I didn't know anything about Shenton's hot air ballon. I know little about the growing movement. I respect the fact that you seem to be a nice person. Intelligent people can hold to many different beliefs, but in our politically correct world, we are expected to either conform or be considered an idiot. I have lost at least one friendship lately, because of my belief in a stationary earth, and must accept the fact that I am a misfit, and will probably have a lonely life. So thank you for your kind reply.

I have no interest in paranormal activity, but do gravitate to a luminiferous Ether. I have trouble with all these 'failed experiments' such as the Michelson-Morley experiment. They seem (to me) to indicate the earth is not orbiting around the sun, and the resulting explanation's  are ad hoc, because the scientific community can't change their mind. They would be too traumatized.   Scientists did go to their graves still believing in the lumiferous ether, did they not? I think even Michelson and Morley. (one or both) Can't remember!

I don't think I have made any outrageous claims about ether.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:46:28 AM by earth is a stage »

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »
Thank you for all your replies, especially the well written article by lovzballs. I respect the time you took to explain your perspective.  I didn't know anything about Shenton's hot air ballon. I know little about the growing movement. I respect the fact that you seem to be a nice person. Intelligent people can hold to many different beliefs, but in our politically correct world, we are expected to either conform or be considered an idiot. I have lost at least one friendship lately, because of my belief in a stationary earth, and must accept the fact that I am a misfit, and will probably have a lonely life. So thank you for your kind reply.

I have no interest in paranormal activity, but do gravitate to a luminiferous Ether. I have trouble with all these 'failed experiments' such as the Michelson-Morley experiment. They seem (to me) to indicate the earth is not orbiting around the sun, and the resulting explanation's  are ad hoc, because the scientific community can't change their mind. They would be too traumatized.   Scientists did go to their graves still believing in the lumiferous ether, did they not? I think even Michelson and Morley. (one or both) Can't remember!

I don't think I have made any outrageous claims about ether.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=63090.0#.VQMijeHgyPU

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »
The beginning of the video seemed condescending.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »
The beginning of the video seemed condescending.

Watch it all the way through, I dare you.

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
What do I have to be afraid about?  I would love to become 'standardized'  You think it is somehow fun, to be treated like a 'nut'?   

?

earth is a stage

• etheric
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2015, 11:16:01 AM »
The 3 minute video?  It is insulting.   

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
To be honest it's hard to objectively look at FET without being insulting, it's like if someone started a "computers are not real" forum and insisted that computers don't exist, just as flat earthers insist that the round Earth they are standing on is flat.  The reason I said I dare you to watch it as if there is something to fear is because I honestly don't know how anyone can watch that video and still believe that the Earth is flat.

Warning: that video contains math that requires at least a high school education to understand and it might be more complex then most flat earthers can handle.