If Earth is rotating

• 155 Replies
If Earth is rotating
« on: February 18, 2015, 06:29:51 PM »
Hello,

I became a flat earth believer 2 days ago and I've been so many research the past couple of days. I've been thinking about all day these past 2 days.

I don't know if anyone has discussed this thought before or not but I was thinking today that according to Nasa the earth is rotating at a speed of 1670 kilometers/hour ( 1037 miles/hr). I'm in New York so that means if I go up in an air ballon or helicopter for 1 hour and make sure the ballon or helicopter is not going to the left or right and is still in the air for 1 hour, I should be in St Louis in Missouri.

This test can be done and it's not going to cost a lots of money. I'm sure we can rent a private helicopter for $1000 or less and film it and proof it to everyone that earth is not rotating.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:33:53 PM by avesta »

kman

• Pastafarian
Re: If Earth is rotating
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:36:23 PM »
The air, and everything else on earth is moving with the earth at a speed of 1037 mph.
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:42:36 PM »
If the air was moving at a speed of 1037 MPH there would be storms up in the air and the airplanes couldn't even fly.

The distance of New York to Los Angeles is 2800 Miles. If the earth is rotating at a speed of 1037 and a commercial airplane flying at a speed of 600mph that means we should get there in 1 hour and 30 minutes and not 5 hours.

These are really simple facts and it's right in our face but we seem to ignore it and believe whatever we have been told.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
I don't know if anyone has discussed this thought before or not ...
More than you might think.

Anyway, the air is also moving with the surface more or less, and in New York, the surface rotational speed is less than the equatorial speed of 1037mph.  6-700mph perhaps.  I'd have to research it.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
Hello,

I became a flat earth believer 2 days ago and I've been so many research the past couple of days. I've been thinking about all day these past 2 days.

I don't know if anyone has discussed this thought before or not but I was thinking today that according to Nasa the earth is rotating at a speed of 1670 kilometers/hour ( 1037 miles/hr). I'm in New York so that means if I go up in an air ballon or helicopter for 1 hour and make sure the ballon or helicopter is not going to the left or right and is still in the air for 1 hour, I should be in St Louis in Missouri.

This test can be done and it's not going to cost a lots of money. I'm sure we can rent a private helicopter for $1000 or less and film it and proof it to everyone that earth is not rotating.

What are your thoughts?
Welcome to the forum, avesta.

That 1037 mi/hr figure is true at the equator but diminishes to zero at the poles. At NY's latitude it would be roughly 3/4 of that.

That may still seem pretty big, but helicopters and balloons and such move against the air around them, and the atmosphere itself is for the most part traveling right along with the ground; any difference between ground and air movement is called "wind". If there were no wind, taking a balloon straight up and straight down with no induced lateral movement would put you back at the same spot.

If you think about it, if what you suggest were true, you wouldn't even need a helicopter ride to see what you propose. That steady 800 mi/hr easterly gale would be a sign of something.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 07:24:44 PM »
If the air was moving at a speed of 1037 MPH there would be storms up in the air and the airplanes couldn't even fly.

As 29silloutte said, wind is simply a difference in the speed the air is moving relative to the ground.

Think about being in an airplane. You are moving at a hundred miles per our, but the air inside the airplane is moving with you, so you don't feel a difference,
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST

Mikey T.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 03:01:04 AM »
Really now? 
First your ZIG ZAG argument was shown to be a lack of understanding on your part by many people in many ways.  It is completely not what happens on a round or flat earth model, stop bringing it up and then trying to use it as proof.  It isn't. 
You have never once tried to consider the fact that you may be wrong in your assumptions and when someone does offer a viable set of arguments to counter your claims you either smother us with copy pasta or you go into a tirade about religion and/or insults.
You my friend Ciklijamas are exactly what you like to call everyone else.  An Idiot.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 03:35:33 AM »
@ Mickey Mouse, i've got something for you:

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others.

Explanation No 1:

If the Earth rotated, first half of a Polar Day you would see the Sun apparently moving from LEFT TO RIGHT, and when you reached the Turning Point (that is the moment of SUNSET (in lower latitudes)), the Sun would suddenly start to go back in opposite direction, that is to say, second half of a Polar Day you would see the Sun apparently moving from RIGHT TO LEFT, then when you reached the next Turning Point (that is the moment of SUNRISE (in lower latitudes)), the Sun would suddenly change direction of it's path in the sky in opposite direction and start to move again from LEFT TO RIGHT beginning new Polar Day...

Imagine that you are able to see through the Earth, what would you see from your latitude (wherever it is) during the second part of a day (while there is a NIGHT) if you observed the Sun through the Earth from the other side of the Earth?

In which direction would the Sun apparently move?

From LEFT TO RIGHT (as it is the case during the day) or from RIGHT TO LEFT?

@ Mickey Mouse, would you be so kind to answer to the question above?

Explanation No 2:

If the Sun circles around and above you, then you are within a circle which Sun draws traveling above and around you.

This is the only way how traveling-Sun (not traveling-Earth) can continually draw (without changing it's "apparent direction of journey") it's path (above and around you) as an unbroken - 24 hours a day - circle, which you could continually - 24 hours a day - observe (during northern summer) if you were placed within the "arctic circle".

On the other hand, if you are on a spinning globe, and the Sun is many millions of miles far away from you, you are completely out of a circle which i have described above. In this hypothetical case you are on merry go round. Now, all you have to do is to imagine yourself on merry go round, observing some immovable light which is placed, let's say 100 meters away from you.

What kind of a phenomena you will have to notice (by necessity) by continually observing immovable light in front of you while you are on merry go round?

You will witness exactly what i have described in my ZIGZAG argument!

Explanation No 3:

When our observer within arctic circle passes turning point, he begins to move in opposite direction, his motion in opposite direction lasts one half of a day (12 hours), so the point is this that whenever our observer reaches a turning point, he begins to move in opposite direction, and that motion lasts one half of a day.

So, during first half of a day our observer goes from left to right, what he sees? - He sees apparent motion of the sun which apparently goes in opposite direction (right to left)!

After he pass turning point, that is, during second half of a day our observer goes from right to left, what he sees now? - He sees apparent motion of the sun which apparently goes in opposite direction (left to right).

Once our observer in arctic circle changes his direction of motion, he keeps going in that direction for next 12 hours, all the way up until he reaches his next turning point.

On top of that:

What Mikeman's video animation actually depicts is what i was trying to point out to, in my argument No 1, here:

http://72.52.145.132/257076-post83.html

However, i have to make one little correction concerning my argument No 1:

Our northern house (placed directly on Potato's axis) would make ONE VERY SLOW rotation per day, although we could loosen the camera on the roof of our northern house, so that it is always directed towards the sun, that is how absolute orientation of our camera would never change, and what our northern camera would record, if the Earth were a globe (better to say : a Potato) and spun on it's axis, would be something very similar to what Mikeman's video animation shows.

Now, we have to put this question:

If the Earth rotated on it's axis, and if Earth-Sun dimensions-ratio and Earth-Sun distances-ratio were in accordance with HC theory, how far away from the North Pole we should have to go, in order to notice ZIGZAG phenomena, and stop to notice phenomena "NO 1" (about which i am talking in my argument NO 1)???

You will better understand the meaning of the question above after watching this video: "ZIGZAG demonstration" :

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

This problem raises misunderstandings and questions like this:

@ Mikeman, according to you, people who live in Greenland can not see any apparent motion of the Sun across the sky? The Sun is immovable spot in the sky not only for the hypothetical observer who stands directly at the North Pole (which scenario nobody ever saw, and never will be able to see in the future), but, according to you, the Sun should be immovable spot in the sky even for people who live thousands of miles away from the North Pole, also???

This is the so called "small effect" problem that Alpha2Omega and Rottingroom have talked about.

They didn't even deny ZIGZAG phenomena, they just have pointed out that because of that "small effect" our observer in Arctic wouldn't be able to notice it.

Do you sense now, what all the wonders (wonderful flaws) HC pandora's box hides???

The point is this:

If the Earth rotates there is a parallax (the Sun's apparent daily motion across the sky in two different directions) which is a consequence of Earth's independent rotational motion, and even if we can not notice it at a very close distance from the North Pole, we should be able to measure it with advanced instruments. But at enough great distances from the North Pole we should be able to notice this parallax easily with naked eyes.

If the Earth is at rest, there is no such parallax (as a consequence of Earth's independent rotational motion), which means that there aren't two different directions of the Sun's apparent daily motion across the sky because there aren't two directions of Earth's rotational daily motion. In another words, the Sun's apparent daily motion across the sky is one directional closed loop below which is placed our hypothetical observer within Arctic circle.

Should i be more clear?

If the Earth rotated on it's axis even in lower latitudes (in summer time (principally)) we could see Sun's ZIGING and ZAGING, that is to say, we would be able to watch as the Sun goes in oposite direction every day:

1. Before 6 AM
2. After 6 PM

What is it exactly that you don't understand here?

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62346.msg1661480#msg1661480

ZIGZAG VIDEO : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:39:40 AM by cikljamas »
"I can't breathe" George Floyd RIP

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 04:56:01 AM »
Hello,

What are your thoughts?

This is a very common misconception. First of all, it's not according to NASA. The speed that a point on the equator is moving at is calculated by dividing the circumference of the Earth by the number of hours in a day. The circumference of the Earth has been known for centuries and it has been known for a fairly long time that there are 24 hours in a day.

The principle of relativity, which goes back to Galileo, states that there is no preferred frame of reference. Or, to put it another way, speed is a relative measurement. Any observer not accelerating can claim to be stationary in their own frame of reference. This is elementary physics. A person on the Earth is accelerating very slightly becasue they are moving in a circle. But, since the angular velocity of the Earth is so slow this acceleration is not noticeable. As has been pointed out, the atmosphere is moving with you so there is no reason to suppose you would have any sense of movement or that a ball thrown up in the air should fly off at 1000mph.

I've often heard flat Earth proponents say things like, "if the Earth was rapidly spinning we would feel it". Well, to get a feel for how rapidly the Earth is spinning stand and stare at the hour hand on a clock. The Earth is spinning round at half the angular velocity of that. It turns through 15° in an hour. That's painfully slow.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:26:29 AM by herewegoround »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 05:27:19 AM »
Hello,

What are your thoughts?
Of course, you are correct on this. I mean, you display the logical common sense that other human beings should display, yet somehow can't bring themselves to do, because it destroys their fantasy of what is told about the Earth and all it's happenings.

The reality is, no helicopter or even high flying balloon is needed to realise that the atmosphere does not spin with the Earth.
However, as you clearly see, there are always answers to this simple thing. The answers are ludicrous, as we know - but the thing is, the reliance on magic has to come to the fore-front with mainstream science, otherwise their model is killed, stone dead.

However: because we are outnumbered by scientists and the wider public - we have to find a more concrete solution to make people wake up.
It's difficult, because if they can't grasp this concept, they won't grasp any, it appears.

I can honestly say with a fairly sure mind, that if the science world told the population that real life stuffed teddy bears have been found living on mars and showed a video of them - most people would believe it, as long as there was an explanation as to how it appeared. All it needs is a bit of gobbledegook so called scientific explanations of their make up and - BINGO - they become real. Martian Teddyites.

You see, if a helicopter hovers, we are told that it's simply carried along with the rotation of the Earth because it was already going that speed.

The problem of it can be solved by simply having a plane flying 1000mph opposite the rotation and so negating that 1000 mph atmosphere. So now the Earth would be spinning 1000 mph one way and not dragging the plane with it because the plane has negated that.
Now if the plane kept the 1000 mph up, then realistically, it would be hovering above the Earth, yet showing a speed of 1000mph on it's clock.

Of course, we know this doesn't happen and for good reason. It's because the Earth is stationary and flatish. It is not a rotating globe sat in a vacuum of space.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:33:12 AM by sceptimatic »

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 05:32:10 AM »
Why do some people have an obsession with NASA?

If I jump up in the air do I land on the same spot?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 05:36:33 AM »

yes you do, if you're doing it vertically from the ground. And thus proving a stationary Earth. Simple.

Now try and jump up in the air on the back of a speeding pick up truck and tell me where you land and where that pick up truck is when you land.
One place you won't be is on the back of it when you do land.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:34:09 AM »

yes you do, if you're doing it vertically from the ground. And thus proving a stationary Earth. Simple.

Now try and jump up in the air on the back of a speeding pick up truck and tell me where you land and where that pick up truck is when you land.

Depends on friction and whether the pick up truck is accelerating or not.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 07:08:48 AM »

Try jumping up and down in an airplane. You land where you started, right? Same goes for the earth

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 07:44:08 AM »

The problem of it can be solved by simply having a plane flying 1000mph opposite the rotation and so negating that 1000 mph atmosphere. So now the Earth would be spinning 1000 mph one way and not dragging the plane with it because the plane has negated that.
Now if the plane kept the 1000 mph up, then realistically, it would be hovering above the Earth, yet showing a speed of 1000mph on it's clock.

Oh boy. As I've said before, I hope for your sake that you're a troll. However, I shall I take you at your word.

Your arguments all assume that there is an absolute rest frame of reference. Or, to put it another way, that there is a speed which can be defined as absolute zero. There is no known physical way of defining such a thing. Any non accelerating observer can claim to be at rest in their own frame of reference. When an airplane takes off its speed is measured relative to the airport it took off from, regardless of what direction it's travelling in. Its speed relative to the centre of gravity of the entire Earth doesn't mean a thing. You seem to think that the centre of gravity of the entire Earth is at absolute rest and that all moving objects will eventually slow down of their own volition until they are at absolute rest as well. People thought that in the dark ages.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »

Depends on friction and whether the pick up truck is accelerating or not.
So you reckon a pick up truck doing 70 mph constant speed will not leave a person laid in the road after that person jumped up in the air from the back of it?

Let me know your findings when you try this. Or at least let someone else witness you do this, so they can come back and tell me, whilst you are either laid in hospital looking like a mummy or brown bread.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:40 AM »
Let me know your findings when you try this. Or at least let someone else witness you do this, so they can come back and tell me, whilst you are either laid in hospital looking like a mummy or brown bread.

Why don't you get on a train and when it's moving at a constant speed try jumping up and down. Let us know if you fly down the train and smash into the door at the end of the carriage.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »

Try jumping up and down in an airplane. You land where you started, right? Same goes for the earth
You are in a sealed tin can in an aeroplane. It's pressurised.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »

Oh boy. As I've said before, I hope for your sake that you're a troll. However, I shall I take you at your word.

Your arguments all assume that there is an absolute rest frame of reference. Or, to put it another way, that there is a speed which can be defined as absolute zero. There is no known physical way of defining such a thing. Any non accelerating observer can claim to be at rest in their own frame of reference. When an airplane takes off its speed is measured relative to the airport it took off from, regardless of what direction it's travelling in. Its speed relative to the centre of gravity of the entire Earth doesn't mean a thing. You seem to think that the centre of gravity of the entire Earth is at absolute rest and that all moving objects will eventually slow down of their own volition until they are at absolute rest as well. People thought that in the dark ages.
You should have saved yourself the bother typing this garbage. And don't assume I'm thinking anything about gravity, when if you took notice, you'd know I don't believe in it.

Now address what I said in a basic way without using stupidity and we can deal with it. If not, then take a back seat.

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »

Exactly. When you are on the back of a truck; if you do fall off when you jump in the air it is because the air is moving relative to the truck. You are blow off. If it was due to the movement alone then you would fly around in an airplane when you jumped in the air.

Please, take a course in elementary physics.

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »

You should have saved yourself the bother typing this garbage. And don't assume I'm thinking anything about gravity, when if you took notice, you'd know I don't believe in it.

Now address what I said in a basic way without using stupidity and we can deal with it. If not, then take a back seat.

I said centre of gravity. That's the point that an object will rotate around. I wasn't implying that gravity itself had anything to do with it. Don't even attempt to patronise me you ignorant fool. Most of my objections to what you say you simply ignore, when you do reply it's to make a childish remark. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You have no understanding of basic science. You have shown you have no grasp of the argument I was making.

If what I said was wrong then prove it. When people talk garbage on here, which is a lot, I take the time to explain why it's garbage. I try to remain as respectful and polite as is possible in the face of such absurdity as one encounters here.

You're a ridiculous obnoxious idiot. Either explain in detail why I am wrong or don't speak to me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »

Exactly. When you are on the back of a truck; if you do fall off when you jump in the air it is because the air is moving relative to the truck. You are blow off. If it was due to the movement alone then you would fly around in an airplane when you jumped in the air.

Please, take a course in elementary physics.
I don't need to take a course in anything. You need to take a course in common sense and logic and stop hanging onto silliness by using aeroplanes as your reason why people move with your Earth when off the ground, hovering.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 09:25:49 AM »

I said centre of gravity. That's the point that an object will rotate around. I wasn't implying that gravity itself had anything to do with it. Don't even attempt to patronise me you ignorant fool. Most of my objections to what you say you simply ignore, when you do reply it's to make a childish remark. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You have no understanding of basic science. You have shown you have no grasp of the argument I was making.

If what I said was wrong then prove it. When people talk garbage on here, which is a lot, I take the time to explain why it's garbage. I try to remain as respectful and polite as is possible in the face of such absurdity as one encounters here.

You're a ridiculous obnoxious idiot. Either explain in detail why I am wrong or don't speak to me.
Come back to me when you decide to add some common sense and logic to that rotting brain of yours.

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »

Or a bus.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »

Come back to me when you decide to add some common sense and logic to that rotting brain of yours.

He does have common sense, it's just that common sense is not so common that you have it.  If something doesn't make sense to you then you immediately classify it as wrong, and if you have ever had any experience with computers then you would know that the obvious answer is often not the right answer.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »

Or a bus.
Same thing. It's pressurised.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »
He does have common sense, it's just that common sense is not so common that you have it.  If something doesn't make sense to you then you immediately classify it as wrong, and if you have ever had any experience with computers then you would know that the obvious answer is often not the right answer.
I classify it wrong because it is wrong.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 09:58:55 AM »

Or a bus.
Same thing. It's pressurised.
To what pressure?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
I classify it wrong because it is wrong.

That would only possible if you were an all knowing entity like God.  News flash: you don't know everything.  Here is proof of that:

What did I have for breakfast this morning?

I am willing to bet that you have no idea, so therefore you don't know everything and you can't use "I classify it wrong because it is wrong." as an excuse to classify something as wrong.  The more you know, the dumber you feel because you realize how little you really know compared to what there is to know, if you think you know everything then you know nothing.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.