If Earth is rotating

• 155 Replies
Re: If Earth is rotating
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
Samuel Shenton (the founder of the modern FE society) once believed in a round Earth, he claimed to have invented a way to travel around the world much easier by using a large hot air balloon to go up high enough to let the Earth rotate below him and then just lower the balloon back down.  This was in the 1920's or so.  He went with his theory and tried to get support to build his Balloon.  He was laughed at by the scientific community and decided that the only reason his design wouldn't work was if the Earth was flat and they were hiding it from everyone.  The irony is that his original concept would work if you could leave the atmosphere and remain stationary without the gravity of Earth pulling you back down.  The atmosphere is relatively rotating with the ground so for that concept to work you would have to get outside the atmosphere.  Since a balloon floats in air as long as the density of the air high enough, much like an air bubble floats to the top of the water, you cannot leave the atmosphere on a balloon.  Airplanes, birds, ect. actually fly through the air using pretty much the same characteristics as submarines, fish, etc. swim through the water.  So anything floating on/in the air is going to travel with the air.

So from this we can conclude that the founder of the FES was a thick idiot who had no grasp of physics. I see nothing has changed.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
So from this we can conclude that the founder of the FES was a thick idiot who had no grasp of physics. I see nothing has changed.

Being called a "flat earther" is considered an insult for a reason.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:53:41 AM by mikeman7918 »
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

ausGeoff

« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2015, 02:05:25 AM »
The great 19th century scientist Alexander von Humboldt confessed:
“I have known too, for a long time that we have no argument for the Copernican system, but I shall never dare to be the first to attack it. Donʼt rush into the waspsʼ nest. You will bring upon yourself the scorn of the thoughtless multitude… to come forth as the first against opinions, which the world has become fond of - I donʼt feel the courage".

Why is it that so many flat earthers rely solely on scientific theories that were propounded hundreds of years ago in support of their cause?

And why is it that flat earthers seldom cite scientific evidence from the last 50 years or so?  And never from the 21st century?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
Why is it that so many flat earthers rely solely on scientific theories that were propounded hundreds of years ago in support of their cause?

And why is it that flat earthers seldom cite scientific evidence from the last 50 years or so?  And never from the 21st century?

Because the Earth is not flat.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

ausGeoff

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2015, 06:54:01 AM »
Interesting that despite earth is a stage being on the forum today, he didn't—or couldn't— address the point I raised about obsolete scientific "evidence" a couple of days ago.

So I'll await patiently for him to cite some references from 21st century astrophysical/astronomical observations that support his flat earth claim.

—Although I suspect I'll be waiting in vain LOL.     ::)

« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »
I have trouble with all these 'failed experiments' such as the Michelson-Morley experiment. They seem (to me) to indicate the earth is not orbiting around the sun, and the resulting explanation's  are ad hoc, because the scientific community can't change their mind. They would be too traumatized.   Scientists did go to their graves still believing in the lumiferous ether, did they not? I think even Michelson and Morley. (one or both) Can't remember!

The Michelson-Morley experiment did cause the scientific community to change its mind. The earlier model had both a luminiferous aether and and the Earth moving through it. The MMX, if valid, indicated that both could not be true. The experiment was repeated and consistently failed to show the expected effect of traveling through the aether, so at least one of those parts of the model had to be modified or discarded. There was much better evidence for the moving Earth than for the aether. In fact, for the aether there was no direct evidence at all, only the belief that something had to be there to allow the transmission of light. Contemporaneously, the work of Maxwell, et al. was providing a mechanism for transmission of light through a vacuum, so the necessity for the aether was no longer supportable at the time an experiment to detect it directly failed to do so. The failure of the MMX helped usher in a model for the transmission of light that much better explains the observations and provided a mathematical basis for all electromagnetic radiation, not just light, that produces useful explanations and predictions that are used all the time. It was traumatic for some.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan