Does the Earth Rotate?

• 55 Replies

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Does the Earth Rotate?
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:37:37 AM »
From what I can gather there isn't too much consensus on a few issues, so I'd like to hear what I can. No matter the mechanism, do you personally believe that the Earth rotates, and why?
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: Does the Earth Rotate?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:55:55 AM »
The simple answer is no.
Reason: our own bodily senses tell us it is not rotating. Our balance and sight.
This is as basic as it gets but nothing shows me a rotation in any sense of the word.

Put me on a merrygoround and my senses change to a rotation. Spin me around even slowly and my senses tell me I'm rotating.

The only possible way the Earth can spin that goes against my senses is for my senses to go against me by fault  of my senses or the fault of me believing against common sense.
Just to query the logic here, have you been on a plane? Ultimately, rotation is motion, and we can normally tell when we're in motion: but when you're on a plane, at a certain point (barring turbulence) everything does feel utterly stationary despite the speeds being moved at.
Hence this follow-up, as your logic would seem to imply uncertainty rather than certainty as we know we can be mistaken about whether or not we're in motion.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:30 AM »
We are talking about a ball.
Rotating at 1 revolution in 24 hours!

Your senses were developed here, how would they detect anything different than what they're completely accustomed to.

If you moved to another planet which rotates slower or faster than this one, you might notice the difference in day length.
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:21:44 AM »
The simple answer is no.
Reason: our own bodily senses tell us it is not rotating.

My "bodily senses" tell me there is no ice dome either.  Should I trust my senses?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

ausGeoff

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »
Yes, I accept the scientific theory that the earth is rotating.  I can't feel it myself because the rotation is so slow—I revolution per day—and with zero linear acceleration being applied to my body.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »
My senses told me the air was safe to breathe.

...and then I died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 11:08:01 AM »
My senses told me the air was safe to breathe.

...and then I died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Your senses had no choice but to breathe and were not geared to differntiating between an odourless and colourless gas against an odourless and colourless atmosphere.

Edit to add: If you're awake when this happens, your body starts to feel drowsy. It's warning you of impending doom and to get away from that area. If you're asleep then your senses are in hibernation type mode.
Right. Our senses are not geared to differentiating between standing still against moving quickly with no angular momentum.

Edit: I once died of radiation poisoning.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
The simple answer is no.

My "bodily senses" tell me there is no ice dome either.  Should I trust my senses?
Yep.
So, that means there is no ice dome?

You see, your senses are not geared for anything other than what your immediate senses are geared for, which is bottom feeding on a solid mass below a dome.
Hang on...I thought we'd just agreed there was no ice dome?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 04:37:21 AM »
The simple answer is no.

Yep. You see, your senses are not geared for anything other than what your immediate senses are geared for, which is bottom feeding on a solid mass below a dome.
This is why you get dizzy at heights. You aren't geared for it. You have to train your bodily senses to adapt - and we are only talking very small heights in the grand scheme of things.

So yes. trust your own senses. It's what keeps you alive and aware.

Your senses are not geared towards sensing the motion of the planet given that the rotation speed is really, really slow. Some goes for apparent motion of sun and stars, your vision simply cannot pick it up.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:59 AM »
The simple answer is no.

Yep. You see, your senses are not geared for anything other than what your immediate senses are geared for, which is bottom feeding on a solid mass below a dome.
This is why you get dizzy at heights. You aren't geared for it. You have to train your bodily senses to adapt - and we are only talking very small heights in the grand scheme of things.

So yes. trust your own senses. It's what keeps you alive and aware.

Your senses are not geared towards sensing the motion of the planet given that the rotation speed is really, really slow. Some goes for apparent motion of sun and stars, your vision simply cannot pick it up.
I wouldn't call 1000 plus mph slow, would you?

In this context, yes.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »

Back to this old chestnut are we. "The world isn't spinning because I can't feel it".

Do me a favour, get on a train, a plane or even into a car, travel at a constant speed (that is, with zero acceleration) and tell me if you can "feel it".

And relatively speaking, 1000 MPH is pretty slow when we're taking on a planetary scale. If you think 1000 MPH is fast then contemplate the milky way, travelling around a group of galaxies at around 1.3 million MPH (2.1 Million KPH). Can you feel that....

*Edited to resolve MPH and KPH

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:44:57 AM by ItMustBeRound »

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »

Back to this old chestnut are we. "The world isn't spinning because I can't feel it".

Do me a favour, get on a train, a plane or even into a car, travel at a constant speed (that is, with zero acceleration) and tell me if you can "feel it".

And relatively speaking, 1000 MPH is pretty slow when we're taking on a planetary scale. If you think 1000 MPH is fast then contemplate the milky way, travelling around a group of galaxies at around 1.3 million MPH (2.1 Million KPH). Can you feel that....

Classic answer. And now we are off to the milky way at 1.3 million mph that us humans just laugh at.
Like I said. Arguments from people that have no clue what they are talking about, except to regurgitate what their masters told them to.
All you have done is regurgitate the same answer about how ridiculous you think 1000 mph is, without any evidence to support the claim that we should feel it, or that it is "too fast."

Can't expect much more from you, though.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »

Classic answer. And now we are off to the milky way at 1.3 million mph that us humans just laugh at.
Like I said. Arguments from people that have no clue what they are talking about, except to regurgitate what their masters told them to.
All you have done is regurgitate the same answer about how ridiculous you think 1000 mph is, without any evidence to support the claim that we should feel it, or that it is "too fast."

Realistically it shouldn't require much more but I'm going to porovide much more to show how this nonsense is panned out for people like you to gobble up and beg for more of the same kind of nonsense. People like you are wasted. Finished. You don't possess the common sense or any basic logic to comprehend anything other than drooling over fictional characters being passed off as genius scientists.
I'm not bringing any fictional characters or scientists in here. Only common sense. The only angular velocity (which is almost perfectly constant) present when rotating around the Earth is counteracted by its own gravity. As a someone mentioned before, there is a difference in gravity between the poles and the equator (something your model cannot account for). As for the motion itself, you have no evidence to support that we would feel such motion. So right now you just look like a blabbering idiot, as with every time you try to argue these points.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »

Realistically it shouldn't require much more but I'm going to porovide much more to show how this nonsense is panned out for people like you to gobble up and beg for more of the same kind of nonsense. People like you are wasted. Finished. You don't possess the common sense or any basic logic to comprehend anything other than drooling over fictional characters being passed off as genius scientists.
I'm not bringing any fictional characters or scientists in here. Only common sense. The only angular velocity (which is almost perfectly constant) present when rotating around the Earth is counteracted by its own gravity. As a someone mentioned before, there is a difference in gravity between the poles and the equator (something your model cannot account for). As for the motion itself, you have no evidence to support that we would feel such motion. So right now you just look like a blabbering idiot, as with every time you try to argue these points.
Of course I look like a blabbering idiot to you. You're a programmed robot. You're programmed to think like that.
The stepford people. That's what you all are.

Telling me I can't account for the gravity difference between the equator and the poles.  ;D
Tell me: how did you measure this difference? what did you use?...how is it used. Can you explain it for me?
No. That was not the focus of my argument. I won't fall for your distractions.

Now tell me, what evidence do you have supporting that we should feel the movement of the Earth if it rotated?

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »

Of course I look like a blabbering idiot to you. You're a programmed robot. You're programmed to think like that.

Telling me I can't account for the gravity difference between the equator and the poles.  ;D
Tell me: how did you measure this difference? what did you use?...how is it used. Can you explain it for me?

Now tell me, what evidence do you have supporting that we should feel the movement of the Earth if it rotated?
I don't have any evidence whatsoever about feeling the motion of the Earth. For good reason. It's because the Earth does not move.
Everything in that sky moves over the Earth. The only time this Earth moves is when pressure builds up inside of it. You feel that as vibrations.

As for spinning. Only your head is spinning - or is it the birds fluttering around it?...there's a conundrum.
Perfect. Well then, from now on you can stop claiming that if the Earth spun, we would feel it, as you clearly have no evidence and you resort to irrelevant claims.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 09:41:16 AM »

I don't have any evidence whatsoever about feeling the motion of the Earth. For good reason. It's because the Earth does not move.
Everything in that sky moves over the Earth. The only time this Earth moves is when pressure builds up inside of it. You feel that as vibrations.

As for spinning. Only your head is spinning - or is it the birds fluttering around it?...there's a conundrum.
Perfect. Well then, from now on you can stop claiming that if the Earth spun, we would feel it, as you clearly have no evidence and you resort to irrelevant claims.
Perfect. Well then, from now on you can stop claiming that the Earth spins when you clearly don't feel it spin as you clearly have no evidence.
Nope, we have explained why we should feel no motion while spinning on the Earth, and now it's your turn to explain why we should if you continue to deny it.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »

Perfect. Well then, from now on you can stop claiming that the Earth spins when you clearly don't feel it spin as you clearly have no evidence.
Nope, we have explained why we should feel no motion while spinning on the Earth, and now it's your turn to explain why we should if you continue to deny it.
I've just explained why, earlier on. There's no need for any other explanation. It's as clear as can be. Only magical garbage keeps your Earth spinning routine alive, for you people. For rational people (those who can think) it's as basic as common sense can get.
We should feel its rotation because you say so? No, that's not going to cut it. Quote yourself if you can, it isn't that hard.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
Jet fission: Let's stop the silly games. This tit for tat will go on forever if we carry on like this. Just accept your globe is nonsense and we can move on.
Aaaand that was the end of that. That was record time for you to surrender!

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
Everyone, this is not a debate forum.  If you don't have a flat Earth Question or Answer, then, please do not post here. 

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »
Everyone, this is not a debate forum.  If you don't have a flat Earth Question or Answer, then, please do not post here.
I've been asking for evidence that we would feel the Earth rotate, but your fellow flat Earthers continue to dodge the question. I'm not trying to debate, I'm just trying to get an answer.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »

In this context, yes.
Well, ok, let's put it into context as far as us mere human beings are concerned, because at the end of the day, it is us that have to deal with it.

Would you be happy walking outside your home and being hit by a 1000 mph wind?
The answer is obviously , NO.
What would a 1000 mph wind do to your fleshy body?
Well, we know what sandblasting does, so we can be pretty sure that it would sand you down like a belt sander sanding down a carrot. Perfect finely grated carrot for your stew, if you can catch it.

If you ride your bicycle at 20 mph with a 20 mph tailwind the air is moving right along with you and you feel no wind at all. Stand still on the Earth, and the air (rocks, dirt, trees, houses, etc.) are moving right along with you with same the circumferential velocity and you feel no wind (and none of those other things appear to be moving either because you're all traveling together at the same velocity). Your point above is irrelevant.

You see, I'm not interested in what the Earth looks like from your outer space and it's apparent size being so slow to an observer from outer space.

Well, there's the problem. You're not interested in how things are, only how you think they should be.

<More stuff where sceptimatic explains how he thinks things should be, not how they are.>
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ausGeoff

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
sceptimatic answered the OP's question thusly:  "The simple answer is no. Reason: our own bodily senses tell us it is not rotating. Our balance and sight."

Considering that Concorde has (had) an average cruising speed of 2,140 km/h I'd like to pose a couple of questions to him:

Q1.  Would passengers aboard Concorde be aware that they were travelling at 2,140 km/h by relying on their "bodily" senses?

Q2.  Presuming they were not (according to all reports) why would anybody be aware that they were travelling tangentially at 1,450km/h on the ground in (say) Australia?

Q3.  Would it be true to say then that relying solely on our body's senses is inappropriate in order to determine whether or not the earth is rotating?

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
Your body only feels acceleration, not velocity.  An observer on the earth experiences no angular or tangential acceleration.

For circular motion the acceleration is towards the point of rotation.  This is why a FE cannot be rotating, and we would feel an effect perpendicular to gravity.

For RE the rotational acceleration is perfectly aligned with gravity.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:39:02 PM by macrohard »

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 01:33:15 AM »

OK - since we're in the Q&A, I have a question for Skipti. If you believe we should be able to sense the earth's rotation, then how come on a flat earth you quite happily accept that you don't sense the ever accelerating flat earth? I remind you, the round earth's acceleration is pretty much 0, whereas your flat earth is constantly accelerating)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 09:13:40 AM »
An observer on the earth experiences no angular or tangential acceleration.
This is not quite true.  The earth's rotation does impart some angular acceleration onto observers.  However, the force is so small that we have long since become acclimated to it.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

mohamed

• "Each spring, the Sun sets in a boiling spring"
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »
the earth doesn't rotate,
when you travel by plane from East to West or from West to East, you will spend the same time, if the earth was really turning around itself, travelling from East to West would be much shorter, actually it's not the case ! The cosmonaut goes up for a while and returns back to earth  ( in the same place, the same continent, the same country ) why ? I have never seen a space shuttle deviating in the sky so as to recover its home country !!! have you ? " god is the one who made the earth stationary for you ... " An Naml verse 61 - The Holy Quran

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:46:36 PM by mohamed »
"They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it"

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:26 AM »
when you travel by plane from East to West or from West to East, you will spend the same time, if the earth was really turning around itself, travelling from East to West would be much shorter, actually it's not the case !
The cosmonaut goes up for a while and returns back to earth ( in the same place, the same continent, the same country ) why ? I have never seen a space shuttle deviating in the sky so as to recover its home country !!! have you ?

" god is the one who made the earth stationary for you ... " An Naml verse 61 - The Holy Quran

Have you ever heard of momentum?  Try flipping a coin in a fast moving car and note how it does not go flying backwards, or jump while inside a flying plane and note how you land in the same place you jumped from.  The atmosphere spins and moves with the Earth, and even though the Earth is spinning and moving you have velocity, you are effected by gravity so you orbit the Sun with the Earth and Earth's gravity counters the centrifugal force caused by Earth's rotation.  Planes measure their speed relative to the atmosphere and the atmosphere spins with the Earth.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

mohamed

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »
why don't you continue ... ?
 the atmosphere spins with the Earth....
and cosmonauts spin with the atmosphere !!!  :D
"They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it"

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »
when you travel by plane from East to West or from West to East, you will spend the same time, if the earth was really turning around itself, travelling from East to West would be much shorter, actually it's not the case !
The cosmonaut goes up for a while and returns back to earth ( in the same place, the same continent, the same country ) why ? I have never seen a space shuttle deviating in the sky so as to recover its home country !!! have you ?
Then why did the shuttle launch from Florida but sometimes land in California?  Why did the Apollo astronauts launch from Florida but land in the Pacific Ocean?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

mohamed

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
because all these places are near the U.S  ;)!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:34:53 PM by mohamed »