circumpolar stars

• 237 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: circumpolar stars
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2015, 06:20:12 AM »
don't trust everything you hear, especially from people known to just be out for money.
you haven't verified it yourself, and it's something no one would even try to because you all blindly follow science, and why would you buy a plane ticket to the poles and stare upward hoping to memorize the stars?

aside from plenty of possible routes, how hard would it seriously be to get a plane to fly in a circle? fake stars ahoy. they want you to think the earth isn't flat. think for yourself, don't believe everything you're told.

Empty flat Earth rhetoric. If you can't address the issue give a little pep talk about keeping an open mind. Stick to the issue, don't waste our time by diverting from the topic with an irrelevant comment.

We get it. You flat Earth believers "think outside the box". You think outside of reality.
i answered, now you pretend i haven't because you can't deal with the fact you're wrong. any motion around the circumference of the earth will give the same effect.

So your theory is that circumpolar stars are airplanes flying round and round in circles. I think you should stop listening to the little airplanes flying round and round inside your head.
I think you need to learn to read. It seems to be a massive problem with you people. The attention span of a gnat.

Don't even attempt to patronise me. You haven't got the bus fair.

What he said was, "how hard would it seriously be to get a plane to fly in a circle? fake stars ahoy". He then went on to claim, "any motion around the circumference of the earth will give the same effect". If he's not implying that circumpolar stars are airplanes flying round in circles then what is he implying? Come genius, enlighten us.
I'll tell you what he's on about Mr can't read, won't read.

He's talking about the globe verses a circular Earth and telling you that it's not difficult for a plane to fly around a circle Earth as much as your globe, meaning, how would anyone know what was really happening when you consider the size of the Earth.

Like I said before, start learning to read and absorb into your limited brain what's being said.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 06:54:10 AM »
He is totally implying that airplanes can be used to simulate circumpolar stars. He might not hold this belief as true, but he is saying it is a viable alternative. It isn't a viable alternative but that is what he was implying.

Scepti is reading into what was written which is not really correct; to try and assume one's intentions.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
don't trust everything you hear, especially from people known to just be out for money.
you haven't verified it yourself, and it's something no one would even try to because you all blindly follow science, and why would you buy a plane ticket to the poles and stare upward hoping to memorize the stars?

aside from plenty of possible routes, how hard would it seriously be to get a plane to fly in a circle? fake stars ahoy. they want you to think the earth isn't flat. think for yourself, don't believe everything you're told.

Empty flat Earth rhetoric. If you can't address the issue give a little pep talk about keeping an open mind. Stick to the issue, don't waste our time by diverting from the topic with an irrelevant comment.

We get it. You flat Earth believers "think outside the box". You think outside of reality.
i answered, now you pretend i haven't because you can't deal with the fact you're wrong. any motion around the circumference of the earth will give the same effect.

So your theory is that circumpolar stars are airplanes flying round and round in circles. I think you should stop listening to the little airplanes flying round and round inside your head.
I think you need to learn to read. It seems to be a massive problem with you people. The attention span of a gnat.

What he said was, "how hard would it seriously be to get a plane to fly in a circle? fake stars ahoy". He then went on to claim, "any motion around the circumference of the earth will give the same effect". If he's not implying that circumpolar stars are airplanes flying round in circles then what is he implying? Come genius, enlighten us.

He's talking about the globe verses a circular Earth and telling you that it's not difficult for a plane to fly around a circle Earth as much as your globe, meaning, how would anyone know what was really happening when you consider the size of the Earth.

Like I said before, start learning to read and absorb into your limited brain what's being said.

So nobody would notice that the southern hemisphere is 3 times as big as the northern hemisphere, that Austrailia is bigger then Russia, and that the quickest way to get from southern Austrailia to southern South America is by going on a route that takes you near the North Pole?  What kind of idiot... Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »

Can you please clarify what you meant by this. It seems fairly obvious that you are implying that circumpolar stars are airplanes flying in circles. Sceptimatic doesn't seem to think so for reasons best known to himself.

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:30 AM »

Typical flat Earth tactic. Deflect the conversation away from the issue at hand because you don't have an answer for it.

Can you clarify your position on this? Do you or do you not believe that there are circumpolar stars in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres?

I'm quite happy to clarify my position. I think it's verging on insanity to even suggest that there aren't.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:12:05 AM by herewegoround »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »

So nobody would notice that the southern hemisphere is 3 times as big as the northern hemisphere, that Austrailia is bigger then Russia, and that the quickest way to get from southern Austrailia to southern South America is by going on a route that takes you near the North Pole?  What kind of idiot... Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to.
Just flip the mirror over so only the back shows to your face and you can hide that fact of who you were talking to.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:14:46 AM by sceptimatic »

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
how hard would it seriously be to get a plane to fly in a circle? fake stars ahoy.

Every star in the southern hemisphere is a plane flying in a circle.  Thank you for clarifying.  It all makes sense now.
i did not say every star, i said that stars could be faked. any time they show the truth, that the earth is not round, it is a simple task to charter a plane to fly the route.
i did not say it has always been done, but it is an example of how the truth can easily be hidden from those who do not think for themselves. how do you even know what people saw before? information can be faked. history is lied about. that is how the world works. you see what they want you to see.

Um, JRowe definitely seems to be saying that at least some stars are planes. At the very least, he's defending the notion. So... Take that as you will.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »

Typical flat Earth tactic. Deflect the conversation away from the issue at hand because it you don't have an answer for it.

Can you clarify your position on this? Do you or do you not believe that there are circumpolar stars in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres?

I'm quite happy to clarify my position. I think it's verging on insanity to even suggest that there aren't.
How can there be? North and south are up and down on a circular Earth. There is one dome, so there is only reflective light that mirrors, which is why you see mirror images.
Quite simple when you think about it.

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »

Typical flat Earth tactic. Deflect the conversation away from the issue at hand because it you don't have an answer for it.

How can there be? North and south are up and down on a circular Earth. There is one dome, so there is only reflective light that mirrors, which is why you see mirror images.

So what is your explanation for the videos I've posted showing circumpolar stars in the Southern hemisphere? How do you account for the thousands of astronomers who spend their professional careers meticulously recording what they see in the sky? How do you account for the millions of people who live in the Southern Hemisphere and could easily notice for themselves if the there are circumpolar stars in the South?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:33:47 AM by herewegoround »

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
There is one dome, so there is only reflective light that mirrors, which is why you see mirror images.
Mirror images of what? The stars in the north are nothing like the stars in the south...
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »
There is one dome, so there is only reflective light that mirrors, which is why you see mirror images.
Mirror images of what? The stars in the north are nothing like the stars in the south...
Do you realise how many points of light there are in the sky?...I take it you do.
Do you also realise that both sides of the circle of Earth will show variations of reflected light to your eyes, depending on where you are.

Let me ask you a question.
On your supposed southern part. Is there anywhere where you see the same constellations of stars?
On your southern side, what does the moon look like compared to your northern side?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:27:11 AM by sceptimatic »

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2015, 10:14:44 AM »

Diagram please.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:36 AM »
On your supposed southern part. Is there anywhere where you see the same constellations of stars?
Nope.
On your southern side, what does the moon look like compared to the northern side?
The same, except the moon is only one place at a time.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »
Nope.
On your southern side, what does the moon look like compared to the northern side?
Ok let,s make this a bit simpler for you.

North of your equator and south of your equator. Tell me what your star constellations appear like by comparing each side.
Also tell me about your moon in the same way.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
Nope.
Ok let,s make this a bit simpler for you.

North of your equator and south of your equator. Tell me what your star constellations appear like by comparing each side.
Also tell me about your moon in the same way.
North:

South:

The moon looks like same no matter where you are on Earth.

ausGeoff

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:12 AM »

It's obvious from reading through sceptimatic's comments that he's unable to comprehend that an airplane can in fact circumnavigate the spherical planet without once changing direction either to the left or to the right, (or upwards or downwards) at cruising altitude.

Hypothetically, all the plane's ailerons and rudder, and elevators and tabs—in fact all the aircraft's flight control surfaces—could be locked at the start of the flight until its finish and never once moved.

On a purported flat earth—even hypothetically—that could not occur, as the airplane would have to be constantly "turning" either right or left in order to maintain a circular flight path using the ailerons, elevators and rudder etc.

(And as an a side, it would be nice for a change if sceptimatic could respond to others' comments without resorting to snide insults that are more appropriate for a grade-schooler's playground.)

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »
The moon actually looks upside down in the southern hemisphere.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »
Obviously. That doesn't matter though, considering that its seeming rotation changes slowly as you move down from the north. I don't think that's what sceptimatic is looking for.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:52:27 PM by Jet Fission »

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2015, 01:04:14 PM »
The large and small magallenic clouds are only visible from the Southern Hemisphere..... Galaxies, nebulae, globular clusters, stars etc are all very carefully mapped across the entire celestial sphere. Sorry Scepti but you are just blowing hot air.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »
The large and small magallenic clouds are only visible from the Southern Hemisphere..... Galaxies, nebulae, globular clusters, stars etc are all very carefully mapped across the entire celestial sphere. Sorry Scepti but you are just blowing hot air.

FtSoC [For the Sake of Completeness]: The part in bold is not strictly true, the Magellanic Clouds are visible from low northern latitudes. As a practical matter, however, that's fairly close.

No quibbles with the rest of the post.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ausGeoff

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »

Uh... no it doesn't.  I live in Australia and the moon definitely doesn't look "upside down" to me.

Bear in mind too that as far as the cosmos is concerned, there is no "up" and no "down".  They're just man-made, abstract constructs.  And this is a concept that people such as sceptimatic just can't seem to get their heads around.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:57 PM »

It should also be noted that the magallenic clouds can be seen from anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere including both South America and Austrailia while they can not be seen from places like North America which is in between South America and Austrailia in the FE map.  If the Earth is flat then how would it be possible for the southern constellations to be visable from everywhere in the donut shaped Southern Hemisphere but not in the northern hemisphere?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2015, 03:35:19 AM »
why does that surprise you? there are things that are only visible when you're closer to them. if you're on the outside of the earth, you're going to see thing you won't see from the inside. the fact you have the earth twirling and whirling so much, around a star that is also whirling on, and you still think you'd see the same constellations with regularity in one hemisphere rather than the other shows your refusal to think for yourself.
that's absurd. those stars are quite clearly evidence that the earth is indeed flat. it's only the intervention of nasa and their cover-up that prevents it being even clearer.
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2015, 05:14:26 AM »
why does that surprise you? there are things that are only visible when you're closer to them. if you're on the outside of the earth, you're going to see thing you won't see from the inside. the fact you have the earth twirling and whirling so much, around a star that is also whirling on, and you still think you'd see the same constellations with regularity in one hemisphere rather than the other shows your refusal to think for yourself.
that's absurd. those stars are quite clearly evidence that the earth is indeed flat. it's only the intervention of nasa and their cover-up that prevents it being even clearer.

You are caricaturing the known and well established facts concerning the movement of the Earth and the sun to support your absurd beliefs. The Earth is spinning on its axis. It is also moving in an ellipse around the sun in a fixed plane. The angle of the Earths axis of rotation to the plane of the ellipse is roughly 23°. The sun rotates around the centre of the galaxy once every 250 million years. The fact that we see different stars in the Northern and Southern hemisphere is entirely consistent with this picture. As is the fact that there are circumpolar stars in the Northern and Southern hemisphere.

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »

Seeing the same constellations is a very simple and elegant result of how the Earth rotates and revolves around the sun. The premise is extremely simple and is modeled by every bit of astronomy software out there. Software that I incidentally use to navigate my telescope. If it was wrong then I wouldn't be able to point at various objects or indeed visually confirm the results with own eyes.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you don't get it seeing as you don't understand simple concepts such as the structure of matter and how pressure works....
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2015, 07:37:46 AM »

You are caricaturing the known and well established facts concerning the movement of the Earth and the sun to support your absurd beliefs. The Earth is spinning on its axis. It is also moving in an ellipse around the sun in a fixed plane. The angle of the Earths axis of rotation to the plane of the ellipse is roughly 23°. The sun rotates around the centre of the galaxy once every 250 million years. The fact that we see different stars in the Northern and Southern hemisphere is entirely consistent with this picture. As is the fact that there are circumpolar stars in the Northern and Southern hemisphere.
very convenient for you that is all behaves the exact way you'd expect on a flat earth, isn't it? Lets you make all your excuses.

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2015, 07:49:13 AM »

very convenient for you that is all behaves the exact way you'd expect on a flat earth, isn't it? Lets you make all your excuses.

Please, you must be trolling. It all behaves the same way as it would on a flat Earth? How do you account for circumpolar stars in the Northern and Southern hemisphere on a flat Earth. How do you account for the fact the stars nearer the equator are only visible at certain times of year?

Can you please clarify what model of the flat Earth you adhere to. Do you believe that the Earth is a disc with the stars rotating above it around the North pole?

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »

Please, you must be trolling. It all behaves the same way as it would on a flat Earth? How do you account for circumpolar stars in the Northern and Southern hemisphere on a flat Earth. How do you account for the fact the stars nearer the equator are only visible at certain times of year?

Can you please clarify what model of the flat Earth you adhere to. Do you believe that the Earth is a disc with the stars rotating above it around the North pole?
i believe the earth is a disk, the center is the North Pole, and Antartica is several islands dotted around the outer rim, which is a Wall of less-dense, self-replicating material pushed upwards further by acceleration, to contain the atmosphere.
the stars simply rotate, and you see those that are closest. planes sort out any oddities. it's really quite simple, unlike your round earther model where the earth spins on its axis, while spinning around something else, which is in turn spinning around yet another thing, and yet the stars stay visible in each hemisphere with some predictability. does that really sound right to you?

ausGeoff

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2015, 08:08:09 AM »
If you're on the outside of the earth, you're going to see things you won't see from the inside.
Uh... does this statement actually make any logical sense whatsoever?

The fact you have the earth twirling and whirling so much, around a star that is also whirling on, and you still think you'd see the same constellations with regularity in one hemisphere rather than the other shows your refusal to think for yourself.
The earth is not "twirling" or "whirling".  If you intend to take part in any serious science-based debate, the you need to use terminology that's not more applicable to a 4-year-old's birthday party.  I'm actually surprised that anybody living in the 21st century is not familiar at least with the relative rotations and orbits of the planets and of the sun and its ecliptic.  Did you not study high-school science perhaps?

Maybe this will help...

It's only the intervention of NASA and their cover-up that prevents it being even clearer.
Two comments:  You're obviously a seriously misguided conspiracy theorist.  You're also unaware that NASA is a relatively "young" organisation—I've been on the planet longer than they have (sadly LOL).

NASA is not the only major space agency in the world by any means; ESA, UKSA, ASRI, CNSA, ISRO,  and ROSCOSMOS are just a few that come to mind.  (I'll let you figure out this alphabet soup!)

Finally, I challenge you to provide any independent, empirical evidence that supports your claim that NASA is "covering anything up".  And by that I don't mean third-party hearsay from your fellow conspiracy theorists, or pointless home-made YouTube videos from whack-jobs wearing tin-foil hats.  I want credible facts and figures.  Go for it.

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2015, 08:11:01 AM »

i believe the earth is a disk, the center is the North Pole, and Antartica is several islands dotted around the outer rim, which is a Wall of less-dense, self-replicating material pushed upwards further by acceleration, to contain the atmosphere.
the stars simply rotate, and you see those that are closest. planes sort out any oddities. it's really quite simple, unlike your round earther model where the earth spins on its axis, while spinning around something else, which is in turn spinning around yet another thing, and yet the stars stay visible in each hemisphere with some predictability. does that really sound right to you?

What sounds right has got nothing to do with it. It's what's true that matters.

The stars near the Equator can only be visible at certain times of year because the Earth rotates around the Sun. These are stars close to the plane in which the Earth revolves around the sun. They are obscured by the Sun for part of the year due to the brightness of the sun.

The circumpolar stars are visible all year round because they lie directly above or below the plane that the Earth moves in around the sun. They all rotate around a point because they are close to the axis of rotation of the Earth. There are two centres of rotation. One above the North pole and one above the South pole.

How do you account for all this using a flat disc with the stars rotating above it, their centre of rotation being at the North pole. The only phenomenon this can account for is the circumpolar stars at the North pole.