Ignore List Not Working

• 26 Replies

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
Ignore List Not Working
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:44:51 AM »
Recently I ignored a user, as can be seen in this photo however, I am still seeing his posts, which really negates the whole purpose of the thing.

My settings are set to hide messages from people on my ignore list, and when I go to the site from my phone his messages are blocked. Is there a way I can get this to function on my work PC or am I just stuck seeing his endless copypasta?
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

dephelis

• Sine scientia ars nihil est.
Re: Ignore List Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:51:42 AM »
Recently I ignored a user, as can be seen in this photo however, I am still seeing his posts, which really negates the whole purpose of the thing.

My settings are set to hide messages from people on my ignore list, and when I go to the site from my phone his messages are blocked. Is there a way I can get this to function on my work PC or am I just stuck seeing his endless copypasta?

Are you sure you didn't accidentally click the "Show me this post." link that normally appears on the same line as the "You are ignoring this user." message that is in the screenshot?

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:00:02 AM »

Are you sure you didn't accidentally click the "Show me this post." link that normally appears on the same line as the "You are ignoring this user." message that is in the screenshot?

I am, sadly every post he has posted since I ignored him has shown up, literally seconds after I set it to ignore him.

I double checked again, my settings are set to make it so I don't see blocked members posts, just kinda frustrating. lol
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »
I will do some checking around and will let you know if I come up with anything. 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
I will do some checking around and will let you know if I come up with anything.

Thank you jroa!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Lemmiwinks, I was able to add both you and cikljamas to my ignore list and everything seemed to work like it was supposed to.  The only thing I can think of is that your browser is somehow automatically activating the "show post" button.  What browser are you using?  Do you have another browser installed that you can try in order to check to see if the problem is browser specific? 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:17:29 AM »
Lemmiwinks, I was able to add both you and cikljamas to my ignore list and everything seemed to work like it was supposed to.  The only thing I can think of is that your browser is somehow automatically activating the "show post" button.  What browser are you using?  Do you have another browser installed that you can try in order to check to see if the problem is browser specific?

Chrome with AdBlock installed, but I have to go through http://virtualipaddress.net/ at work because my work IP was banned during that big IP banning that went down a bit ago, maybe its the virtual IP address site, is there a way I can get my work IP unbanned? I never asked because I just assumed that would be a pain in the ass.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »

Chrome with AdBlock installed, but I have to go through http://virtualipaddress.net/ at work because my work IP was banned during that big IP banning that went down a bit ago, maybe its the virtual IP address site, is there a way I can get my work IP unbanned? I never asked because I just assumed that would be a pain in the ass.

PM me your work IP address.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »

PM me your work IP address.

I sent you everything my ipconfig spat out.

Thank you!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:39:22 AM »
Lemmiwinks, I went through the virtual IP server and got the same results as you.  It looks like it is the cause of the ignore not working.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »
Also, ipconfig will probably give you your local network IP, not the one that this site sees.  Would you go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and let me and Pongo know what IP it displays?

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:52:01 AM »
Also, ipconfig will probably give you your local network IP, not the one that this site sees.  Would you go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and let me and Pongo know what IP it displays?

oops. :P

Networking has always been black magic to me.

I'm pming it to you guys now.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »
Your IP is not showing up as a ban trigger.  It may have somehow gotten mixed in with some spambot's IP.  I unfortunately, do not have access to this.  I will contact an admin for you and will let you know if they can work this out. 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »
Your IP is not showing up as a ban trigger.  It may have somehow gotten mixed in with some spambot's IP.  I unfortunately, do not have access to this.  I will contact an admin for you and will let you know if they can work this out.

Thanks for trying!

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 07:53:09 AM »
The ignore function relies on your browser being able to execute JavaScript. Many work environments, as well as individual users, choose to block JavaScript on some or all sites.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 12:25:53 PM »
The ignore function relies on your browser being able to execute JavaScript. Many work environments, as well as individual users, choose to block JavaScript on some or all sites.

Is there any word on getting my work IP unbanned?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 06:37:47 PM »

Is there any word on getting my work IP unbanned?

I don't believe PizzaPlanet will be able to help you with this particular issue.  I would imagine that Jroa is still waiting on a reply from an Admin.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 06:55:47 PM »
I did not receive a reply to my emails.  If the merger happens, I am sure this can be resolved quickly. 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
Okie dokie. Thank you guys for trying!

Arith

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
Lemmiwinks, do you have a static IP through your ISP?
If not just power down your modem for a long while, (10 mins on the outside) then power it up. Most devices will pick up a new IP, though sometimes ISPs like to reserve a particular address for clients.

Not much, but a shot maybe?

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »
Lemmiwinks, do you have a static IP through your ISP?
If not just power down your modem for a long while, (10 mins on the outside) then power it up. Most devices will pick up a new IP, though sometimes ISPs like to reserve a particular address for clients.

Not much, but a shot maybe?

At home yeah, but the problem is with my work IP, I believe that it actually is the same as the rest of the organization I work for, so like 14,000 people use it, it'll get me banned from places as being a spam IP sometimes.

At least thats the only idea that comes to mind for it. :(

Arith

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 06:49:19 PM »
Same happened to me, but fortunately at work I have another pipe to use.
I know your pain though ... I'm sure work won't mind if you power down their racks for a few minutes :)

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
I know your pain though ... I'm sure work won't mind if you power down their racks for a few minutes :)

Aw yeah. I'll find the master racks and just pull the plug.

I assume there's only one plug right?

Arith

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 06:51:47 PM »

Naw just yank em all, IT staff love plugging shit in

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »

Naw just yank em all, IT staff love plugging shit in

Noted!

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 09:33:17 PM »
At home yeah, but the problem is with my work IP, I believe that it actually is the same as the rest of the organization I work for, so like 14,000 people use it, it'll get me banned from places as being a spam IP sometimes.
I would suggest that the admins seriously reconsider their policy on IP banning. It's unproductive, and there are better ways of stopping spambots.

If it's any consolation, our team will happily scrap all unsubstantiated IP bans when/if reunification finally happens.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 10:16:44 PM »
I would suggest that the admins seriously reconsider their policy on IP banning. It's unproductive, and there are better ways of stopping spambots.

If it's any consolation, our team will happily scrap all unsubstantiated IP bans when/if reunification finally happens.

Thank you!