Stephen Hawking

• 254 Replies

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
Re: Stephen Hawking
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
Yep I do know that. The difference is, you don't question anything against mainstream science. You pretend you do but you don't.

What number am I thinking of?  You seem to have this mind-reading thing down pat.

Incorrect, I am currently in the process of questioning Anthropomorphic Climate Change based on evidence that temperature records have been falsified.

I'm sure you'll come to your conclusion when mainstream science does and happen to agree with the findings.

Is this like the 100% sure you are of things you have not tested or seen or another kind of sure?

How often do you consider whether or not you are wrong?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 10:11:08 AM »
What number am I thinking of?  You seem to have this mind-reading thing down pat.
It's not mind reading as such. It's reading your comments over time. It builds a picture.

Is this like the 100% sure you are of things you have not tested or seen or another kind of sure?
Never 100% sure of most things, except that the Earth is not a globe but that's not important in this topic.
How often do you consider whether or not you are wrong?
Often. How about you?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 10:17:10 AM »
It's not mind reading as such. It's reading your comments over time. It builds a picture.

Your picture is wrong.  Like most of the ideas you concoct in your imagination, mostly because you never endeavor to attach them to the real world.  Like how you won't look through a telescope to see the ISS or Saturn, you know?

Never 100% sure of most things, except that the Earth is not a globe but that's not important in this topic.

And gravity, and 9/11, and so on...

Often. How about you?

Same.

Anyway, fact remains that you are assuming that because I have not reached the same conclusion as you that I have not "questioned things".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:27:49 AM by Rama Set »
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 10:50:26 AM »
About 40-50 people develop motor neurone disease in NZ each year. The average age of onset is 55. Uncommonly, it develops in young people. (Hawking).

How long do people survive motor neurone disease ?
The average length of survival is 2-4 years. Occasionally, people live longer.

It's already been pointed out that his intelligence likely developed because of his illness and confinement: genius is learnt, not inborn, generally speaking.
I'm no ALS expert, but the thing that stands out to me in your example is that two uncommon things have happened: what if there's a link? Perhaps the reason he's lived longer is because he contracted the illness when younger. A quick bit of research shows the main ways ALS is treated is by aiding, for example, his breathing: muscles that will be stronger in a younger person.

Regardless, it's far from impossible: and the crucial point you haven't addressed, is why parade such a facade? Hell, I've met someone who studied for their PhD under Hawking: and there are plenty of others. Why are people who may be willing to give away or spot the fact he's an actor or protests to the words he's being made to say allowed to come into contact with him?
Either I'm in personal contact with someone who's in on the conspiracy, and it's grown quite a bit unnecessarily, or you might want to rethink this. Pretty sure one of the required elements of a conspiracy is to expose as few questionable elements as possible.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2015, 01:40:36 AM »
About 40-50 people develop motor neurone disease in NZ each year. The average age of onset is 55. Uncommonly, it develops in young people. (Hawking).

How long do people survive motor neurone disease ?
The average length of survival is 2-4 years. Occasionally, people live longer.

It's already been pointed out that his intelligence likely developed because of his illness and confinement: genius is learnt, not inborn, generally speaking.
I'm no ALS expert, but the thing that stands out to me in your example is that two uncommon things have happened: what if there's a link? Perhaps the reason he's lived longer is because he contracted the illness when younger. A quick bit of research shows the main ways ALS is treated is by aiding, for example, his breathing: muscles that will be stronger in a younger person.

Regardless, it's far from impossible: and the crucial point you haven't addressed, is why parade such a facade? Hell, I've met someone who studied for their PhD under Hawking: and there are plenty of others. Why are people who may be willing to give away or spot the fact he's an actor or protests to the words he's being made to say allowed to come into contact with him?
Either I'm in personal contact with someone who's in on the conspiracy, and it's grown quite a bit unnecessarily, or you might want to rethink this. Pretty sure one of the required elements of a conspiracy is to expose as few questionable elements as possible.
Let me put this simply to you. Do you agree that, at 73 years of age, Hawking is not only miraculously outlived his condition but done so by having a full on mental ability to work throughout it, authoring numerous books, having 2 wives whilst also painstakingly typing out  his teachings to classes of university students for umpteen years, as well as doing every show known to man....now what I'm saying to you - is - does this not warrant questioning...even if it's a simple head scratching as to being a little bit too miraculous to be altogether, true?

As I stated before. I do not know what the situation is with this man. I've given scenarios out as to what is possibly going on, yet that's all they are, because I cannot say with any certainty what the whole issue is.

It's about sifting through it all and piecing little tid bits together to make some kind of sense out of it.
I've looked at it from all angles. Yes, I looked at it from the propsed real angle of him simply being that miracle but it just does not add up when all things are taken into consideration.

Here's just another thing to add to it.
They say that this condition causes a person's muscles to seize up[ in their face as well as limbs. It causes people to struggle to breathe because their throat muscles seize up. This also causes them to choke on even drinking fluids, let alone food and this is only in the early stages...sort of like a year or so after being diagnosed.

To look at Hawking in his chair, we can plainly see that he can barely (if at all) use his mouth or facial features, yet I saw a video of his supposed carer feeding his a meat stew...and no, it wasn't mashed up...yet she was spooning it into his mouth.

In truth I'd like to believe that this is a miracle of some man happening to do the impossible and defy everything thrown at him. The problem is, he's done far too much through this slow typing machine alone to make this credible, let alone all the rest of this stuff.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2015, 01:54:36 AM »
Let me put this simply to you. Do you agree that, at 73 years of age, Hawking is not only miraculously outlived his condition...
They say that this condition causes a person's muscles to seize up[ in their face as well as limbs. It causes people to struggle to breathe because their throat muscles seize up. This also causes them to choke on even drinking fluids, let alone food and this is only in the early stages...sort of like a year or so after being diagnosed.

To look at Hawking in his chair, we can plainly see that he can barely (if at all) use his mouth or facial features, yet I saw a video of his supposed carer feeding his a meat stew...and no, it wasn't mashed up...yet she was spooning it into his mouth.
Answered in the post you're responding to. try a little harder next time, k?
I mean, regardless, ALS is not a well-known illness. no one professes to be an expert: hopefully that'll change, but... Still, it seems a more than reasonable summation that maybe the fact it affected his body while it was stronger, implies that the effect the degeneration had would be markedly less pronounced. And if you survive for longer with a certain condition, your body can adapt to it.
In truth I'd like to believe that this is a miracle of some man happening to do the impossible and defy everything thrown at him. The problem is, he's done far too much through this slow typing machine alone to make this credible, let alone all the rest of this stuff.
You'd be amazed how much can be done when you don't really have much in the way of timewasting to do. Do you think he's going to get up to play football?

And you're only examining the probabilities one way. Even if what you say is granted (which is far from a necessary step), you propose that those who know he's a lie are perfectly willing to let him tutor PhD students, give lectures etc, and generally show off who he is, increasing the chance he'd slip up: rather than say, for example, rendering him a recluse who still authors science novels, but whose disability renders him unable to make such speeches. That would hardly be unreasonable.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2015, 02:03:35 AM »
Let me put this simply to you. Do you agree that, at 73 years of age, Hawking is not only miraculously outlived his condition...

Answered in the post you're responding to. try a little harder next time, k?
I mean, regardless, ALS is not a well-known illness. no one professes to be an expert: hopefully that'll change, but... Still, it seems a more than reasonable summation that maybe the fact it affected his body while it was stronger, implies that the effect the degeneration had would be markedly less pronounced. And if you survive for longer with a certain condition, your body can adapt to it.
You'd be amazed how much can be done when you don't really have much in the way of timewasting to do. Do you think he's going to get up to play football?

And you're only examining the probabilities one way. Even if what you say is granted (which is far from a necessary step), you propose that those who know he's a lie are perfectly willing to let him tutor PhD students, give lectures etc, and generally show off who he is, increasing the chance he'd slip up: rather than say, for example, rendering him a recluse who still authors science novels, but whose disability renders him unable to make such speeches. That would hardly be unreasonable.
How do you know that he's tutoring students?
It's a machine that has a robotic voice.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2015, 02:07:14 AM »
Well the professor commonly known as Hawking tutors students. One of them's a lecturer at my university, and you can happily take the radical step of using google to verify such information.
Either he actually is tutoring, or the conspiracy are idiots and have decided to expose an element of themselves to public scrutiny unnecessarily: which is something like rule one or rule two of things massive, secretive conspiracies shouldn't do.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2015, 02:09:52 AM »
Well the professor commonly known as Hawking tutors students. One of them's a lecturer at my university, and you can happily take the radical step of using google to verify such information.
Either he actually is tutoring, or the conspiracy are idiots and have decided to expose an element of themselves to public scrutiny unnecessarily: which is something like rule one or rule two of things massive, secretive conspiracies shouldn't do.
So your lecturer learned what he knows from a speak and spell type computer or do you know something for sure?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2015, 02:13:52 AM »
So your lecturer learned what he knows from a speak and spell type computer or do you know something for sure?
Congrats on yet again ignoring the crucial thrust of the post.
I'd ask if you know how universities work, but I doubt it. people have more than one lecturer, and generally PhD supervisors merely guide the students to relevant and useful texts, as well as explain trickier bits. And you're still ignoring the question.
Why would the conspiracy subject themselves unnecessarily to scrutiny? Why take that risk?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 02:15:08 AM »
Congrats on yet again ignoring the crucial thrust of the post.
I'd ask if you know how universities work, but I doubt it. people have more than one lecturer, and generally PhD supervisors merely guide the students to relevant and useful texts, as well as explain trickier bits. And you're still ignoring the question.
Why would the conspiracy subject themselves unnecessarily to scrutiny? Why take that risk?
What scrutiny would this be?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 02:16:41 AM »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 02:18:35 AM »

Same question as above.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2015, 02:20:55 AM »

Same question as above.
Try reading.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2015, 02:22:46 AM »

Same question as above.
Try reading.
And I'm asking you how people would know it's a lie to stop him tutoring?
The speak and spell like computer is tutoring, so how would anyone know if it was him or someone else just operating that machine by input of whatever is needed?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 02:25:48 AM »
The speak and spell like computer is tutoring, so how would anyone know if it was him or someone else just operating that machine by input of whatever is needed?
Well, for starters, he's alive: he still has enough muscle control to react somewhat. or, failing that, if he has no input onto his machine, that would be noticed too.
And regardless of specifics, a pretty basic rule of a conspiracy is don't put a lie in front of everyone's faces time and again, they might notice.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 02:32:32 AM »
Well, for starters, he's alive: he still has enough muscle control to react somewhat. or, failing that, if he has no input onto his machine, that would be noticed too.
And regardless of specifics, a pretty basic rule of a conspiracy is don't put a lie in front of everyone's faces time and again, they might notice.
Ok, so it's logical to assume that if he is using his muscles to type out his stuff then he should be looking at the monitor to do this and should be concentrating on putting his words right...would you say this is a very fair assumption?

?

guv

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2015, 02:50:34 AM »

septic you can pull the piss out of anyone you like if they got two feet and a heartbeat but have a look at this guy http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Brothers-recall-day-flames-came-calling/7649920/ he has been in a bed since 26 July 1984. He stuffed up after my birthday party. If you were put in a room with him he would make you piss just by talking. I not happy about you taking the piss out of people who are disabled.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 03:42:23 AM »

septic you can pull the piss out of anyone you like if they got two feet and a heartbeat but have a look at this guy http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Brothers-recall-day-flames-came-calling/7649920/ he has been in a bed since 26 July 1984. He stuffed up after my birthday party. If you were put in a room with him he would make you piss just by talking. I not happy about you taking the piss out of people who are disabled.
This is the problem with people like you. I'm not in any way taking the piss out of anyone who has any condition. get this firmly implanted into your emotionally charged head.
Come back at me with any more of this and you'll simply be overlooked, I guarantee that.

I am questioning how one person who just happens to be a world reknowned theoretical physicist, manages to not only defeat a disease that takes the lives of everyone else in extreme short order but also manages to achieve the things supposedly set out before us.

We all know someone or are close to someone with some kind of ailment/disease and it's not something that should be mocked.
I'm not mocking the ailment/disease itself nor am I mocking Hawking. I'm questioning how it's possible to get it at his age and yet he lives to this very day, aged around 73.
The reasons why nobody can question any of this stuff is because of people like you unable to use rational thought, who deliberately go into emotional frenzy to stop any questioning.

Let me put this into your brain and I'll show you how anything can be twisted to make out someone is showing disrespect.

I could question the moonlandings' and someone...just like you are doing here, can pop in and shout. "You disrespectul bastard - Grissom, White and Chafee died as part of this." And blah blah. You use emotion to kill off an argument.

You haven't got the sense to look at any bigger picture because you wear blinkers for life and gobble up emotional content like it's fast food.
Stay out of the topic if you can't debate it without using emotion or be ignored in it. Your choice.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:45:09 AM by sceptimatic »

?

guv

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2015, 04:19:46 AM »

This is the problem with people like you. I'm not in any way taking the piss out of anyone who has any condition. get this firmly implanted into your emotionally charged head.
Come back at me with any more of this and you'll simply be overlooked, I guarantee that.

I am questioning how one person who just happens to be a world reknowned theoretical physicist, manages to not only defeat a disease that takes the lives of everyone else in extreme short order but also manages to achieve the things supposedly set out before us.

We all know someone or are close to someone with some kind of ailment/disease and it's not something that should be mocked.
I'm not mocking the ailment/disease itself nor am I mocking Hawking. I'm questioning how it's possible to get it at his age and yet he lives to this very day, aged around 73.
The reasons why nobody can question any of this stuff is because of people like you unable to use rational thought, who deliberately go into emotional frenzy to stop any questioning.

Let me put this into your brain and I'll show you how anything can be twisted to make out someone is showing disrespect.

I could question the moonlandings' and someone...just like you are doing here, can pop in and shout. "You disrespectul bastard - Grissom, White and Chafee died as part of this." And blah blah. You use emotion to kill off an argument.

You haven't got the sense to look at any bigger picture because you wear blinkers for life and gobble up emotional content like it's fast food.
Stay out of the topic if you can't debate it without using emotion or be ignored in it. Your choice.

No need to get so defensive septic. The guy I linked to was nothing but a knuckle man until he got stuck in a bed. After they stuck him back together he lay in bed reading books and talking to visitors. the transformation was amazing. He had bad brain damage from the accident but he worked his mind so hard he just got better to talk to all the time. He has more thinking time than anyone I know and it shows. I took major umbrage at you inferring that a gimp could not think and I know that time spent thinking can be used well by a smart person.
The threat of being ignored by you is a bit like a mouse telling a cat it will be ignored. I could not give a stuff!.
Have a good night.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 04:50:11 AM »
No need to get so defensive septic. The guy I linked to was nothing but a knuckle man until he got stuck in a bed. After they stuck him back together he lay in bed reading books and talking to visitors. the transformation was amazing.
He had something that was curable by his own strength, at least to a great degree. His time spent reading will have greatly added to what capacity he already did, due to his focus being on only that. I accept this and have no problem with this.

He had bad brain damage from the accident but he worked his mind so hard he just got better to talk to all the time. He has more thinking time than anyone I know and it shows.
Yes and like anything else, if you give people time to think or they have no other option but to think, then what was mundane at one time becomes interesting.
Like I mentioned with lifers, espcially those in solitary. They get bored. They live inside their own minds. They start to ponder all manner of things about their life and life in general. They then read books and also manage to construct intricate things that only a person with too much time on their hands can do.
They become almost genius in their ways because they had the time to think. This is lost on most people because most people are robotic in their ways. They are fixated on their goals ahead and their jobs, which in the main are repetitive.
This is the difference between thinkers and learners. Learning may involve thinking about what you learn but it's still taught. Thinking like I'm putting forward is a person's ability to actually think for themselves. Be innovative and not systematic.

I took major umbrage at you inferring that a gimp could not think and I know that time spent thinking can be used well by a smart person.
Look back in this thread and you will see at no time did I mention he could not think.  mentioned the disease as in muscle, etc. I didn't mock anything about mind nor body in anyway. I questioned the length of time this uncurable and ongoing wasting that this disease does in short order and the fact that he seems to have outlived healthy people and is still going strong.
I'm questioning if what we are seeing is the real thing or are we being duped. I don;t really know the answer but to me, it begs questions, which is what I'm doing. Take it as that.

The threat of being ignored by you is a bit like a mouse telling a cat it will be ignored. I could not give a stuff!.
Have a good night.
It's not a threat, it's simply me explaining to you that I won't respond to the use of emotion from people when I'm debating something. I'm simply letting you know that if you try it again, your post will be not be responded to.
Don't waste your time telling me you don't give a stuff either. If you didn't, you wouldn't respond to someone like me, at all.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 06:32:18 AM »
It is also important to know that Hawking virtually all of his relevant scientific in 60s and early 70s at which point he could still talk.  The only thing he did of note to the public when he was incapable of verbal communication is write A Brief History of Time.  Although his book is his most popular accomplishment it is not his most relevant.

That being said, Scepti is barking up the wrong tree, since Hawking is not a very influential or important scientist to the physics world.  Apparently, he just hates people in wheelchairs.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 06:51:58 AM »
It is also important to know that Hawking virtually all of his relevant scientific in 60s and early 70s at which point he could still talk.  The only thing he did of note to the public when he was incapable of verbal communication is write A Brief History of Time.  Although his book is his most popular accomplishment it is not his most relevant.

That being said, Scepti is barking up the wrong tree, since Hawking is not a very influential or important scientist to the physics world.  Apparently, he just hates people in wheelchairs.
So he's not a very influential or important scientist now. I wish you people would make your mind up on this.
And how would you know if Hawking hates people in wheelchairs?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:31 AM »
So he's not a very influential or important scientist now.

Did I ever say otherwise?  I wish you people would make your mind up on this.

Fail.  Grammatically, the "he" in my second sentence refers to the subject, "Scepti", in the previous sentence.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »

Did I ever say otherwise?  I wish you people would make your mind up on this.

Fail.  Grammatically, the "he" in my second sentence refers to the subject, "Scepti", in the previous sentence.
Well you should have made it come across like that instead of acting like you were talking about Hawking.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »
Well you should have made it come across like that instead of acting like you were talking about Hawking.

We are sorry your native language is causing you such trouble.  Please try again.....

BOOP!

ausGeoff

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2015, 09:51:58 AM »
Well, this has been a fun few minutes.....

sceptimatic contends of Hawking:  he's an actor; when he's not acting the part, he just walks around unnoticed in public;  he's not a scientist and never was; the NWO is controlling him like a puppet; another person is providing Hawking's responses to questions;  he's not tutored 39 PhD candidates at Cambridge University; it's impossible that he's survived MND until age 73; MND is always terminal;  the thousands of scientists who've accepted his research are all deluded; someone with a physical disability loses the power of thought and reason; he's not observing his monitor when he speaks; he can't be a scientist because there's no film evidence of him ever talking coherently;  he's only using a simple speak and spell machine which can't cope with detailed scientific statements; he thinks Hawking has a computer that reads his brain patterns; MND precludes Hawking having ever written any books; somebody else actually writes all Hawking's public lectures ad nauseam.

I contend that Stephen Hawking is a world-renowned  theoretical physicist, cosmologist, author and Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology within the University of Cambridge.

Do I hear William of Ockham calling from the grave?    ;D

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2015, 10:36:39 AM »

Not amongst other physicists, no.  His big work was all in the 60s and 70s. Guys in these fields are like athletes, they can be still be very good when they are older, but they will start losing their edge in their 30s, perhaps younger (Einstein produced all his major work when he was 26).  If there was some kind of science/maths world cup, there is no way Hawking would get in the England squad.  He wouldn't have done for decades.

I wish you people would make your mind up on this.
Who said different?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »

Not amongst other physicists, no.  His big work was all in the 60s and 70s. Guys in these fields are like athletes, they can be still be very good when they are older, but they will start losing their edge in their 30s, perhaps younger (Einstein produced all his major work when he was 26).  If there was some kind of science/maths world cup, there is no way Hawking would get in the England squad.  He wouldn't have done for decades.

I wish you people would make your mind up on this.
Who said different?
At least now I know what your game is. Cheers.

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
So, what's my game?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.