A fourth dimension...?

• 12 Replies
?

Convince Me!!

• Yo. Haha jk I can't pull that off.
A fourth dimension...?
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »
Anyone have any ideas about the fourth dimension? Its existence? Its direction? I┤ve been trying to visualize it lately and WOW its hard. Ideas? I just think it┤s interesting :) Also, look up the fourth dimension on google images, and you will get some really cool pictures of a "hypercube," which is supposedly how a 4D creature would see a cube. it's CRAZY

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
Re: A fourth dimension...?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »
String theory reckons with up to 32 dimensions. Try to imagine that.

Orifiel

• Stalwart Pumpkin god supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:41 AM »
Time, easy question
Je parle Franšais and yes, I am une fille

Pumpkin god 4 lyf

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
A while ago I did some research on the fourth spacial dimension and it is so interesting.  There is actually a 4D version of the game 2048 that is pretty interesting, and even though it appears 2D it it simulated like a 2x2x2x2 hypercube.  To answer the original question, if you were to draw a line in the direction of the fourth dimension it would only look like a dot because only a single point of it would intercept 3D space.  Our 3D space is flat along the 4D axis which is incredibly hard to imagine, in the same way that a 2D object is a cross section of a 3D object, a 3D object is a cross section of a 4D object.  Along the fourth dimensional axis, the Earth actually is flat :P
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
Time, easy question

He is referring to the fourth spacial dimension.

?

Convince Me!!

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:16:10 AM »
A while ago I did some research on the fourth spacial dimension and it is so interesting.  There is actually a 4D version of the game 2048 that is pretty interesting, and even though it appears 2D it it simulated like a 2x2x2x2 hypercube.  To answer the original question, if you were to draw a line in the direction of the fourth dimension it would only look like a dot because only a single point of it would intercept 3D space.  Our 3D space is flat along the 4D axis which is incredibly hard to imagine, in the same way that a 2D object is a cross section of a 3D object, a 3D object is a cross section of a 4D object.  Along the fourth dimensional axis, the Earth actually is flat :P
Yes! Have you heard of Edwin Abbott Abbott's (yes that's his name) book Flatland? It's amazing. It describes a 2D world in which all anyone can see is lines. people have since brought up the idea of the only way that they could do so is if there was a little tiny bit of height. It's like that here. There is an aspect of 4D-ness in our world, but we don't realize it.

?

Convince Me!!

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
Time, easy question

He is referring to the fourth spacial dimension.
Yeah I am, although the idea of time being a dimension makes my brain kind of explode. It may be a spacial dimension for all I know.

?

Convince Me!!

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:18:22 AM »
WOW really? That's crazy. I have attempted to understand string theory, but am pretty much failing. I cam across while researching the fourth dimension and it's ridiculous and awesome.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
WOW really? That's crazy. I have attempted to understand string theory, but am pretty much failing. I cam across while researching the fourth dimension and it's ridiculous and awesome.

I thought that string theory implied that there were 11 dimensions (10 of space + 1 of time), but theoretically and mathematically it's possible to have infinite dimensions.

This is my mind right now:

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:01:46 AM »
It depends on what type of string theory. I'm no expert, but if I remember correctly there were, at some point, 5 or 6 formulations of string theory. They required 10, 11, even 26 dimensions. It was proved that some formulations were equivalent (you could treat one with perturbation theory and you would end up with another), and the number decreased. Right now I think 10 or 11 is the preferred number of dimensions. Mathematicians and physicists deal with abstract spaces of any number of dimensions, such as the phase space (the plot of every possible degree of freedom of a system).

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »

I thought that string theory implied that there were 11 dimensions (10 of space + 1 of time), but theoretically and mathematically it's possible to have infinite dimensions.

This is my mind right now:

There are several string theories. The popular one has 11. Don't really understand that stuff.

It is getting really weird, when you increase even the number of time dimensions (a time dimension is in mathematical physics a dimension with imaginary ordinate). Can you envision a hyper-time-cube?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:16:52 AM »
The shockwave created by my mind being blown will hit your house any minute now, brace for it.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
The shockwave created by my mind being blown will hit your house any minute now, brace for it.

You mean any minute^4