Flat Earth

• 28 Replies
Flat Earth
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:05:44 AM »
I am new to this way of thinking, and am sick of the lies spread by science. What is the theory behind flat earth theory?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »
I am new to this way of thinking, and am sick of the lies spread by science. What is the theory behind flat earth theory?
What do you believe to be the lies spread by science?

ausGeoff

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »

No "lies" have ever been deliberately spread by science with any devious intent.  Quite often, throughout history, scientists and their scientific theories of the day have been discredited and disproved.  But that's the vary nature of science; it's continually questioning its own theories, and every new hypothesis is rigorously peer-reviewed specifically to investigate any errors.  By the time that it's been reviewed, sometimes over a period of years, it's then accepted as theory.

But... if a new discovery subsequently renders that theory even slightly inaccurate, or questionable, then the theory will be modified after again undergoing stringent peer review to confirm its new status.  Whenever a new scientific hypothesis is proposed, scientists attempt to disprove the hypothesis.  They do not try to prove it. 

And this is where and why most flat earthers make their major mistake.  They constantly attempt to prove their hypothesesórather than trying to disprove them.

Say one of the FEs proposes that the moon is self-illuminating, or luminescent.  Which is fair enough; it could be.  But then instead of attempting to disprove thisóby investigating all the potentialities from a scientific standpointóthey attempt to prove it purely from a philosophical or metaphysical standpoint, and without the involvement of any scientific methodology at all.

You should also note that currently, by definition, there is no such thing as a flat earth "theory".  Most people will call it simply a notion, whilst the more generous of spirit may call it a "hypothesis".

In a technical or scientific usage, theory, principle, and law represent established, evidence-based explanations accounting for currently known facts or phenomena. There is no evidence base for the flat earth notion.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »
With an opening like that, its obvious you are a very open minded individual!

I have a great website for you!

http://conservative-headlines.com/

Right up your ally!
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »

No "lies" have ever been deliberately spread by science with any devious intent. 

Would that that were true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_misconduct
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Socratic Amusement

• An Exercise in Witty Exploration
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »

No "lies" have ever been deliberately spread by science with any devious intent. 

I love when critics of science post things like this. Its like they don't realize that by showing a list of the times the scientific method showed a theory to be incorrect that somehow makes sciences not work exactly as intended.
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »
It's like when creationists cite archaeoraptor as an example of "evolutionists" fabricating evidence. What they forget is that the fraud was found out by "evolutionists"
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 04:22:18 PM »

I love when critics of science post things like this. Its like they don't realize that by showing a list of the times the scientific method showed a theory to be incorrect that somehow makes sciences not work exactly as intended.

I case you are unaware, I regularly present science and defend science on these fora.  I am partial to presenting accurate statements and factually correct information. The hyperbole that AusGeoff presented is misleading in that it puts a halo on scientists that is unnecessary and only bolsters the perception of scientism among REers.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Socratic Amusement

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 05:02:16 PM »

I case you are unaware, I regularly present science and defend science on these fora.  I am partial to presenting accurate statements and factually correct information. The hyperbole that AusGeoff presented is misleading in that it puts a halo on scientists that is unnecessary and only bolsters the perception of scientism among REers.

It really isn't hyperbole though. Scientific misconduct is discovered by scientists. The scientific method is a self-correcting mechanism.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
Which is not infallible. There are, I guarantee you, a certain number of fraudulent papers that escaped notice. It doesn't really matter in the context of a FE discussion, but AusGeoff, by saying that there has never been a falsehood deliberately spread by science is almost certainly incorrect and so must be taken as inaccurate hyperbole. Science is still trustworthy, reliable, accurate and illuminating. But it is not perfect as AusGeoff is implying.

Socratic Amusement

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
Which is not infallible. There are, I guarantee you, a certain number of fraudulent papers that escaped notice. It doesn't really matter in the context of a FE discussion, but AusGeoff, by saying that there has never been a falsehood deliberately spread by science is almost certainly incorrect and so must be taken as inaccurate hyperbole. Science is still trustworthy, reliable, accurate and illuminating. But it is not perfect as AusGeoff is implying.

That level of pedantry seems unnecessary, given your views on science then.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »

Agreed, you should have just left my caveat as is without tossing aspersions at me.

Socratic Amusement

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »

Agreed, you should have just left my caveat as is without tossing aspersions at me.

If the only reason you called him out is "Yeah, the scientific method finds falsehoods, but something false maybe slipped through one time. Maybe." then you really shouldn't have said anything in the first place if you are going to be that pedantic.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 07:30:29 PM »

If the only reason you called him out is "Yeah, the scientific method finds falsehoods, but something false maybe slipped through one time. Maybe." then you really shouldn't have said anything in the first place if you are going to be that pedantic.

Or you can keep going.

Socratic Amusement

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »

Or you can keep going.

I'm not the one who wasted our time in the first place.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »

Or you can keep going.

If you say so.

Socratic Amusement

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 08:50:28 PM »

Or you can keep going.

If you say so.

Your post speaks for itself.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »

Or you can keep going.

If you say so.

Your post speaks for itself.

I'm glad.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 03:55:24 AM »
What a fascinating discussion.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »

That is how I feel.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »

That is how I feel.

Its ok, I still love you Rama.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 09:59:16 AM »

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »

That is how I feel.

That makes one of us...  :'(

You need to turn that frown upside down and look in the mirror and repeat after me.

I am good enough.
I am smart enough.
And dog gonnit, people like me.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »

That is how I feel.

You need to turn that frown upside down and look in the mirror and repeat after me.

I am good enough.
I am smart enough.

Thank you Lemmiwinks, you have changed me..

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
 :o
Read the FAQS.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »

That is how I feel.

I am good enough.
I am smart enough.

Thank you Lemmiwinks, you have changed me..

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 04:04:52 PM »

You mean the way of thinking where you have a bias and you know nothing about science and math?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 05:10:53 AM »
Poor FES. Another possible convert that has been frightened away by a pack of watchful roundearthers

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
Poor FES. Another possible convert that has been frightened away by a pack of watchful roundearthers

Now the (round) world contains one less idiot.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.