Earthquakes

• 16 Replies
Earthquakes
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:41:39 AM »
How do these occur on a flath earth without plate tectonics?

Re: Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »

Earth quakes are giant reptiles in the 5th dimension shaking the Earth to keep the sheeple in line. Not really, but that's about the level of response to expect.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 09:28:53 AM »

Earth quakes are giant reptiles in the 5th dimension shaking the Earth to keep the sheeple in line. Not really, but that's about the level of response to expect.

That is probably the most sensible answer this thread will get! Earthquakes and Tremors are something that Flat Earthers never seem to mention - I assume there will be somesort of FE explanation for them happening....

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:29 AM »
Probably the Aether, an imaginary force that FE-ers use to solve everything.
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
Not to mention seismic tomography which uses large events to study the earths core-mantle boundary.  It is also amazing that by look at the signals received from global seismic stations it is possible to compute the depth and source mechanism of the earth quake.  Not a speck of FE in that work.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »
Volcanoes also seem to be a quiet subject for the Flatties.
If there was a large pool of magma under the flat earth, what is there to stop it finding it's way out through either the sides or the bottom of the disc?
Surely an active volcano erupting under the disk would weaken the structure of the disc itself?

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
flat earth is still a theory. round earth has been fleshed out for the better part of 2500 years, by the majority of the world's scholars.

Here, there is far less manpower and time put into the theory. Many, many parts of it are yet to be worked out. I would like a possible hypothesis for the above noted issues surrounding seismic activity.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
Not to mention seismic tomography which uses large events to study the earths core-mantle boundary.  It is also amazing that by look at the signals received from global seismic stations it is possible to compute the depth and source mechanism of the earth quake.  Not a speck of FE in that work.

Most of what we know about the interior of the Earth actually comes from stations picking up vibrations from Earthquakes from different parts of the world.  This is actually how the size of Earth's iron core is known.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »
Who said a flat Earth can't have plate tectonics? 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 10:17:20 PM »

Because Antarctica drifting around like the other continents doesn't fit well with FET.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 10:21:05 PM »

Because Antarctica drifting around like the other continents doesn't fit well with FET.

Who said that plate tectonics are dependent upon Antarctica? 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »

Good point, but FET also doesn't support the RET belief that what moves continents around is convection currents in the mantle.  I guess it would pe possible to make plate tectonics work in FET by simply attributing it to the Aether or something.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 10:39:44 PM »

Good point, but FET also doesn't support the RET belief that what moves continents around is convection currents in the mantle.  I guess it would pe possible to make plate tectonics work in FET by simply attributing it to the Aether or something.

I don't believe I have seen an FE'er claim that there is not a molten layer beneath our feet.  The continents simply drift on this molten layer. 

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »

I don't believe I have seen an FE'er claim that there is not a molten layer beneath our feet.  The continents simply drift on this molten layer.

Is there any speculation as to what the earth looked like 1 million, 2, 5, 10 , 25 million years ago? Or is FE more of a young earth thought process?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »

Is there any speculation as to what the earth looked like 1 million, 2, 5, 10 , 25 million years ago? Or is FE more of a young earth thought process?

I would speculate that it looked just as flat millions of years ago as it does today. 

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 10:51:28 PM »

I would speculate that it looked just as flat millions of years ago as it does today.

How about in terms of continents? Would the continents be in the same place? Would they have moved? If they did, under what force? What is pushing them? How are they being pushed? In what direction? Would they be able to move despite being encapsulated by an immovable ice wall? If they were, what portion of mass would give? would the wall expand slightly and increase the size of the earth?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 10:53:52 PM »

How about in terms of continents? Would the continents be in the same place? Would they have moved? If they did, under what force? What is pushing them? How are they being pushed? In what direction? Would they be able to move despite being encapsulated by an immovable ice wall? If they were, what portion of mass would give? would the wall expand slightly and increase the size of the earth?

I would speculate that the irregular heat transfer at the molten layer affects the position of the continents over time.  Is there anything else you want for me to guess about?