Day length

• 28 Replies
Day length
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
How do flat earthers explain the lengthening of the day over time?
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Day length
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:29 PM »

Give them time. They will come up with something. These things take time. Like an accurate Flat Earth Map of the entire earth.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »

Days seem the same length to me. Have you personally experienced this phenomenon?
Read the FAQS.

Orifiel

• Stalwart Pumpkin god supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »

Days seem the same length to me. Have you personally experienced this phenomenon?

When I was 10, I thought the day lengthening was b.s. and my mum just was being a douche to get me to go to sleep earlier, so I set a timer up that started at 5am (time I wake up to do hair) and I stopped it at the point where I couldn't see an owl statue in my neighbor's yard that would become nigh invisible at sundown.

It does, bro
Je parle Français and yes, I am une fille

Pumpkin god 4 lyf

Vauxhall

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »

When I was 10, I thought the day lengthening was b.s. and my mum just was being a douche to get me to go to sleep earlier, so I set a timer up that started at 5am (time I wake up to do hair) and I stopped it at the point where I couldn't see an owl statue in my neighbor's yard that would become nigh invisible at sundown.

It does, bro

Anyone have an example that doesn't involve an experiment carried out by a 10 year old child?
Read the FAQS.

Orifiel

• Stalwart Pumpkin god supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »

It does, bro

Anyone have an example that doesn't involve an experiment carried out by a 10 year old child?

You can do it yourself? Set up a timer and just start it at time 1 and end at a certain light level
Je parle Français and yes, I am une fille

Pumpkin god 4 lyf

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

Daylight, as you know.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Yeah, it's like when people say "today is the longest day of the year"
They really mean "today has the most daylight"
Quote from: Excelsior John
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST
Quote from: modestman
i don't understand what you are saying=therfore you are liar

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »

It does, bro

Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second#Slowing_rotation_of_the_Earth
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:02:57 AM »
Yeah, it's like when people say "today is the longest day of the year"
They really mean "today has the most daylight"

Does the OP mean "daylight?"  It sounds to me like he's asking the length of a day like from 12AM one day to 12AM the next day.  I think we need some clarification.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »
When Dinosaurs roamed the Earth days are predicted to have been about 22 hours long, the Earth has slowed down sense due to tidal acceleration from the Moon, which slows down the Earth and inturn speeds up the Moon causing the Moon to drift further away.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:14:56 AM »
Lots of interesting round-earth "facts" here. How are any of them flat-earth question or answer though?

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 10:17:02 AM »
When Dinosaurs roamed the Earth days are predicted to have been about 22 hours long, the Earth has slowed down sense due to tidal acceleration from the Moon, which slows down the Earth and inturn speeds up the Moon causing the Moon to drift further away.

This. Explain it, flatliners.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.

Vauxhall

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 10:56:17 AM »

This. Explain it, flatliners.

Explain what? Shouldn't mike be the one to provide evidence for this claim?

I ask because I see none.
Read the FAQS.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
I don't think that anyone has ever actually measured the Earth slowing down.  It is just a theory. 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »
I don't think that anyone has ever actually measured the Earth slowing down.  It is just a theory.

Leap seconds are required to keep clocks accurite, sandstone from prehistoric beaches show evidence of an 11 hour tide cycle in opposed to our 12 hour one, the Moon has been proven to drift away using radio Moon bounces, and the rotation rate of the Earth can be measured extremely accurately using satellites.  There is quite a lot of evidence for this.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »

Leap seconds are required to keep clocks accurite, sandstone from prehistoric beaches show evidence of an 11 hour tide cycle in opposed to our 12 hour one, the Moon has been proven to drift away using radio Moon bounces, and the rotation rate of the Earth can be measured extremely accurately using satellites.  There is quite a lot of evidence for this.

It is still just a theory.  Just because you claim that there is a lot of evidence, that does not automatically make it conclusive evidence. 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »

It is still just a theory.  Just because you claim that there is a lot of evidence, that does not automatically make it conclusive evidence.

Oh yeah, the great conspiracyTM and it's 3,500,000,000 members.  That is obviously more logical then tidal acceleration.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »

This is debate. Put a sock in it.

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »

You do realise that a Theory is a well substantiated explanation of the natural world. So you agree that the slowing of the Earth is well substantiated then....?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 02:56:03 PM »

You do realise that a Theory is a well substantiated explanation of the natural world. So you agree that the slowing of the Earth is well substantiated then....?

Not all theories are well substantiated. You reduce yourself to the level of a flat earther by using such wily tactics.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »
You are confusing the regular use of the word theory with a scientific theory.

A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world."
[USA TODAY and NPR] are probaley just a bunch of flippin wite sapremist websites you RASCIST

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
You are confusing the regular use of the word theory with a scientific theory.

A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world."
And you are conflating Jroa's layman-style use of the word with the scientific definition. Don't think you can outwit me on this.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
Don't think you can outwit me on this.

What are you trying to acheive with this weirdly aggressive attitude? I'm not trying to "outwit you", it's not personal. I'm simply pointing out an error in your statement

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 05:37:12 PM »
Welcome to Dinosaur Neil.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

kman

• Pastafarian
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »
Yes, we've met. Thanks for the welcome though

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »

It's true.. Stupidity has no limits.

In winter when I wake up to go to work, it's dark. When I get home it's dark.

In summer when I wake up to go to work, it's light. When I get home it's light

This phenomenon is experienced by a couple of billion people on a daily basis around the globe.

Now back to the question:

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:53:22 PM by Pavarotti »

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 11:16:39 PM »

Not all theories are well substantiated. You reduce yourself to the level of a flat earther by using such wily tactics.

When presented as part of science then Theory always means a well substantiated explaination. The fact that the public then apply the mis-used colloquialism meaning does affect the validity of the science itself.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 05:56:51 AM »
Don't think you can outwit me on this.

What are you trying to acheive with this weirdly aggressive attitude? I'm not trying to "outwit you", it's not personal. I'm simply pointing out an error in your statement

The statement that you were using the word "theory" in a more specific sense than Jroa and myself were is not in error. It is 100% accurate.
I don't have an aggressive attitude, I just have no time for people trying to win an argument through twisting of words. It doesn't matter which side of the debate you're on, I'll still call you out on it.
To use the strict scientific definition, FET is not a theory because there is bugger all to support it. To use the common layman's definition of theory, as in an idea that may or may not be true, it is.