Antarctica and this ice wall

• 39 Replies
?

13jer36

Antarctica and this ice wall
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:11:35 PM »
Don't airplanes fly in straight line over Antarctica? They do arrive expected place according to a round earth right? How can a wall be anywhere?

HumanKentipede

• The defeat of Scepti was a sweet victory.
Re: Antarctica and this ice wall
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 12:37:01 AM »
Please note that I am a RE.
The understanding i have is that the ice wall surrounds the earth, and that it is not positioned in the space that we assume. To ask a question like that is to provoke them and i doubt you will receive understandable replies, FE theorists- feel free to prove me wrong.
Leatherman: Leave nothing undone.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:15:13 AM »
People do fly over Antarctica.  I don't know why you people act like it is an impenetrable wall or something.  It is simply land covered with ice.  I have never seen any flat Earther claim that you can not fly over land covered in ice. 

HumanKentipede

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:41:28 AM »
I know people fly over Antarctica. I have a friend that went there last year. The sheer inability to believe that it is possible to fly over any pole is what shows this theory has its flaws. How very convinient the land beyond the ice wall experiences brutal ice storms and rain, making it impossible for mankind to traverse it.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:47:14 AM »
Why do commercial airplanes not fly over Antarctica, even though it would often be quicker than flying around it?

HumanKentipede

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:59:54 AM »
An air New Zealand flight 901 crashed during a flight over Antarctica (mount Erebus)
Everybody died. This was not the first flight over Antarctica. Unless this did not happen (again- how convenient).

ausGeoff

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:04:15 AM »
Why do commercial airplanes not fly over Antarctica, even though it would often be quicker than flying around it?

Great circle route...

It's not "quicker" to fly "around" Antarctica—it's slower to fly over it.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:06:48 AM »
An air New Zealand flight 901 crashed during a flight over Antarctica (mount Erebus)
Everybody died. This was not the first flight over Antarctica. Unless this did not happen (again- how convenient).

Many aircraft have crashed in all of the oceans and people died.  However, airplanes still fly over them.  Why is Antarctica any different?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 06:10:02 AM »

Great circle route...

It's not "quicker" to fly "around" Antarctica—it's slower to fly over it.

According to your map, that same flight going to Perth should be flying over pretty much the south pole.  Does this happen in real life?

?

13jer36

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »
Do we? Or do we not fly over Antarctica? Do airplanes disappear forever or do airplanes reach expected land mass?

ausGeoff

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 02:15:50 AM »
According to your map, that same flight going to Perth should be flying over pretty much the south pole.  Does this happen in real life?

No.   There are no flights from Perth to Ezeiza International Airport in South America.  One has to fly from Perth to Sydney.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 03:35:06 AM »

No.   There are no flights from Perth to Ezeiza International Airport in South America.  One has to fly from Perth to Sydney.

How about between Perth to anywhere in the southern tip of SA?

?

guv

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:12 AM »
99% sure no planes go from Perth to SA. Perth - Brazil goes to Africa first. We still in de bush bloke.

HumanKentipede

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 03:50:29 AM »

How about between Perth to anywhere in the southern tip of SA?
I have to say, it does appear as though you are fighting a losing battle. Maybe you should accept defeat and consider fleshing out another topic.

?

guv

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 04:13:46 AM »
I'm writing to you under some pretty tough conditions�we hit a nasty wind storm today. Winds are reaching 80 knots; that's 92 mph. The waves are kicking up and splashing over the side, half our crew is sea sick, and�well, let's just say we haven't gotten much work done!
This storm isn't exactly a surprise. We are trying to collect some sediment samples and seafloor images from the ocean floor around Cape Denison, which is known as the windiest spot in Antarctica. And Antarctica itself is the windiest place on Earth!
In fact, Antarctica holds the record among continents for sustained wind speeds; wind speeds can reach 200 mph here. Most research teams, like ours, learn to deal with the wind; other teams actually spend their days in Antarctica studying wind.

People don't go there for fun in bad weather.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 04:28:53 AM »
Airplanes fly above the weather.  Try again.

?

guv

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 04:33:52 AM »
jroa they used to do those flight's all the time till one hit a mountain is a storm. now I think they are  only in good weather. Was not trying.

HumanKentipede

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 04:35:59 AM »
Airplanes do not fly above the weather all the time. Why do you think thunderstorms, wind/turbulence can potentially stop a flight and stall the airport. You are wrong.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 05:15:30 AM »
Thunderstorms stall an airport because of embarking/disembarking factors.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 05:21:34 AM »
Clearly not true.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 05:23:52 AM »
jroa they used to do those flight's all the time till one hit a mountain is a storm. now I think they are  only in good weather. Was not trying.
An airplane crashed into a mountain in the Andes back in the seventies, but planes still fly over those mountains. 

?

guv

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 05:27:34 AM »
And people get killed worse luck.

Air France flight 447 vanished en route from Rio to Paris at night during a storm. The Airbus A330's speed sensors were found to have malfunctioned, and the plane climbed too steeply, causing it to stall.

The investigation into AF447 found that both technical and human error were to blame.

As with the AirAsia disaster, the accident happened in an area around the equator where north and south winds meet, and thunderstorms are common.

HumanKentipede

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 05:37:28 AM »
Thunderstorms stall an airport because of embarking/disembarking factors.
I'm not sure if you have ever travelled via airplane, but if they have a tendency to turn back or land at the nearest airport capable of supporting a commercial plane if they encounter un anticipated weather (very unlikely now, but still possible) or if weather thought to be harmless turns dangerous- a storm or wind for example. Your statement displays a lack of knowledge and research on air travel.

?

guv

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 05:49:50 AM »
I am trying to be serious for a change jroa, those flights don't happen a lot since one hit a mountain. A plane goes over my joint sometimes, real high and heading south. Not a lot down there except Antarctica, People have told me it comes from the air force base and takes supplies down there, don't know. As far as I know no air routes go over the place to SA. Now back to the world ain't flat.

?

guv

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »

MYTH 1: Whenever a pilot spots rough weather, the best option is to fly over the storm
While we often hear about pilots quickly manoeuvring up and out of a storm cell, it turns out that 'flying over the storm' isn't always an option.
'It really depends on the type of weather buildup you get,' Thomas explains. 'You can get storm clouds that continue on above 40,000 feet, so it may not be an option to go over those.'
'Without a doubt, storms are best avoided, so a pilot's first reaction will always be to fly over it - if possible - or fly around it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2920450/British-Airways-Captain-Dave-Thomas-addresses-common-bad-weather-flying-myths.html#ixzz3PiB9Prpg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

?

13jer36

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 10:01:42 PM »
So they do then.........?

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 03:49:50 AM »
You can fly in to Amundsen-Scott base (South pole) mainly from 2 destinations : New Zealand via McMurdo or Punta Arenas in SA. According to RET this makes sense, according to FET it doesn'tn one of the 2 flights would take much much more time than it actually does. Nuff said.

?

guv

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 04:05:42 AM »
You can fly in to Amundsen-Scott base (South pole) mainly from 2 destinations : New Zealand via McMurdo or Punta Arenas in SA. According to RET this makes sense, according to FET it doesn'tn one of the 2 flights would take much much more time than it actually does. Nuff said.

And they still wont find this ice wall.

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 09:56:45 PM »

And they still wont find this ice wall.
Of course  you won't ,antatica is an island . It lays beyond antatica .where the sun doesn't shine.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…: