Pick one thing?

• 4 Replies
Pick one thing?
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »
With all of the different ideas supported by all of the different FE proponents; don't you think you should focus your efforts on the best piece of evidence you have? Seriously though. Why get caught up in the discussion of topics that don't get you anywhere.

Why not just sort out what is going on with the sun and moon? Do any of the claims (UA, bendy light, antartica, gravity, FE map, conspiracy, etc....) even matter if you don't have an explanation on the sun and moon that could survive any scientific scrutiny?

An example to put it in perspective: During the Bill Nye -V- Ken Ham debate, Mr Nye made a statement that applies here. I'm paraphrasing but the statement was something like - If you could find a squirrel in the fossil record mixed in with the trilobites you could change the world -

My point being that if you could produce a model that explains how the experienced reality of the sun and moon could be explained in another way you could change the world. It would not take a complete Flat earth theory with every little detail sorted out, only one big point to unsettle the foundation of the globularists.

I'm not asking this question to have a debate about the merits of any of the FE ideas. I am more interested in more of an explanation for the tolerance of so many conflicting views. If the case is that there are some flatists who claim to be actively working on FET and you want to lend credence to your case I think you might focus your efforts better. Forum communities like this are almost your best best for a crowd sourced simple peer review. It seems like all you have to do is put out one single piece of founded evidence and the rest of the scientific community (who are unaware of their indoctrination and take all evidence as a challenge to their knowledge) will rally to prove or disprove it. They will do all the work for you if you give them a starting point.

Instead of going on and on about how a thing is plausible or not, produce some maths and let the opposing view have a crack at it. The more you learn form the nay-sayers the closer you will be to uncovering the mystery. The people who most strongly oppose your view are, in reality, your team mates in showing the holes in your position so you can easily sort that out.

That is how peer review works at its most fundamental level. It's not about showing who is right or wrong, but about revising and revealing our understanding of reality. If the earth is flat and we could all benefit from this understanding, no amount of conspiracy could hold back the truth in today's social media climate.

Just a thought.
Your god was nailed to a cross. Mine carries a hammer...... any questions?

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Pick one thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:36 AM »
Reality is something that just isn't part of this flat earth website, if that is what you are looking for. Most of us so-called "Round Earthers" come to this website just for the fun and entertainment. There is no argument that the earth is not a flat disc and all the other flat earth things. So if you are looking for any real evidence, math or other means about a flat earth, you might as well forget it.

But it is really interesting to see what the flat earthers are going to come up with next, so don't take it seriously and enjoy it.

I am still of the opinion it is just sort of a game sort of website. As quite a lot of people have said, "The Flat Earth Society Forum Website  is either one big hoax or one big joke." Or maybe a bit of both.

Ask some questions and see what kind of answers you will get. They prefer you do this one at a time, so don't ask more than one question at a time. Lotsa luck. Once again : Enjoy !
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »
Reality is something that just isn't part of this flat earth website, if that is what you are looking for. Most of us so-called "Round Earthers" come to this website just for the fun and entertainment. There is no argument that the earth is not a flat disc and all the other flat earth things. So if you are looking for any real evidence, math or other means about a flat earth, you might as well forget it.

But it is really interesting to see what the flat earthers are going to come up with next, so don't take it seriously and enjoy it.

I am still of the opinion it is just sort of a game sort of website. As quite a lot of people have said, "The Flat Earth Society Forum Website  is either one big hoax or one big joke." Or maybe a bit of both.

Ask some questions and see what kind of answers you will get. They prefer you do this one at a time, so don't ask more than one question at a time. Lotsa luck. Once again : Enjoy !

I think you misunderstand my point Googleotomy. I'm sure FET is a joke, and I know there is no merit to any of the assertions made by the flatists. I understand this site is largely a place for people to practice debate judo and troll for fun. In general if they are serious they cold make better use of their time.

My first point is: If they are serious these fora are like a crude, crowd sourced, peer review. They should take advantage of it instead of getting all bent about what is presented against their assertions.

My second point is : just producing one piece of founded (backed up by a good model and experiments) evidence for one phenomena unique to FE, they could start a revolution among the sciences. The sciences would leap at the chance to refine their own understanding of reality. If there is any merit to FE one single solid piece of evidence would create a cascade effect in the sciences and the answer would reveal itself. Thus the sciences would do all the work for the flatists, instead of having to do it all with the limited resources available to this small community.

Arith

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:16:43 PM »
Preachin to the choir, my Pizza friend.
You and I might see forums like this as a place to flesh out good ideas from the bad. Process of elimination and all that noise.

What instead happens is a schoolyard pushing match. Someone points out a flaw, the other person goes "nuh uh <ad hominem>" which prompts the first person to retaliate. It is, seriously, like arguing with a 3 year old.

World is round.
Nuh uh.
Why.
I drew a picture of a flat earth!
That says nothing
Nuh uh!
... and so on.

You just can't have that (a proper, peer review) conversation here, no matter how hard you try.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
Preachin to the choir, my Pizza friend.
You and I might see forums like this as a place to flesh out good ideas from the bad. Process of elimination and all that noise.

What instead happens is a schoolyard pushing match. Someone points out a flaw, the other person goes "nuh uh <ad hominem>" which prompts the first person to retaliate. It is, seriously, like arguing with a 3 year old.

World is round.
Nuh uh.
Why.
I drew a picture of a flat earth!
That says nothing
Nuh uh!
... and so on.

You just can't have that (a proper, peer review) conversation here, no matter how hard you try.

Fully agreed. I wanted to give us all a chance to keep it clean for a topic. I wanted to make a thread that took seriously what is possible here, while giving the flatists some pointers (if they are at all sincere) on how they could better make use of the best tool at their disposal.

All childishness aside I still see a place like this as an avenue for real discovery. When I started lurking this site in 2010 I thought I knew quite a bit about the world around me. I was way wrong. In fact I learned so much just by coming here and being told how wrong I was. It made me hungry to fully understand the claims I was making. The amount of research I have done on the side over the years has been indispensable .

I cant remember the guys name but he was active on this site 2 or 3 years back and he was producing some great models of how FE could actually work. I was appalled to see the flatists dismissing his help because it did not agree with the flavor of the week explanations they were embracing at the time.